Star Wars (1977 - present)

Comments

• RC7RC7
    bondsum wrote: »
    Folk on other sites are claiming Daniel Craig's cameo as the Stormtrooper in Awakes is obvious. He's the one who is Jedi mind tricked into releasing Rey's handcuffs. They claim if you watch carefully you can see his swagger when he leaves, Bond is underneath that, and that's his voice too. Anyone else see this... or believe it? I'm not confirming this, just passing it on.

Yes, it is very definitely Daniel.
    Cool, @RC7. I'll have to watch that scene more carefully next viewing.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    WOW. Brilliant film.
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    I'm off to the theater!!!
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited December 2015 Posts: 4,043
    It was predictable and borrowed from the original trilogy but my oh my what an incredible experience. New and old characters mingle together and the new series has a big bad to be reckoned with.

You should recognise our boy as well, gotta be one of the best cameos of recent times.

Nothing cheesy he does us proud, dare I say the best film Daniel Craig was in this year. So much more satisfying than SPECTRE and what a cliffhanger!

It's going to feel like a long wait till Summer 2017, Rian Johnson its over to you.

Good job we've got Rogue One to tie us over in a years time.
  • RC7RC7
    This is what cinemas were made for.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Blown away!
    I had been slightly apprehensive about episode 7 aka TFA. Would it do what the prequels had done. Namely let me down. Thankfully JJ Abrams knows how to make movies, and better still he understands Star Wars and has given us the Star Wars film we've been waiting for since 1983's ROTJ.
    This was very well handled, the introduction of new characters, whilst integrating them with those from old trilogy. I liked the new characters, I liked the story and I liked this film. Roll on May 2017, cos I am eager to see what the next instalment can deliver.
    The force has well and truly been awoken. And it is strong with this one. :D <:-P ^:)^ :-bd =D>
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    So maybe Disney should buy JB from Eon, after all? ;)
  • Listening to Force Awakens score for third time, its up there with some of Williams best... Love it!
    The Jedi steps is a really amazing amazing piece of classic Williams. The way it segues into binary sunset. More please. Compare this with the flaccid by the numbers score we got with Spectre
    DC made quite a splash with his cameo it seems. Funny he thought he could get away unnoticed.
    "Whats the biggest grossing movie for 2015 that Daniel Craig acted in" is going to be a trick question in pub quizes for years to come.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Oh boy oh boy oh boy. How about that Star Wars?

Seeing this on Sunday. Seeing only one person hated it, I am really looking forward to this.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    @patb :)) That is going to be a trick question.
    Just finished watching all the Star Wars films, and I'm
    Hoping to see the new one on Monday.
    Here it has set a new all time opening record. On a Wednesday.
  • TokolosheTokoloshe Under your bed
    Shocking confession time. I've never seen a Star Wars film. Mrs Tokoloshe has only seen parts of them, ages ago.

We have all six available to watch and are thinking about doing it over Christmas. So should we start with 4-6 or 1-3?
    4-6! or get massively spoilt.
  • edited December 2015 Posts: 4,813
    Just 4-6 will suffice ;)

But if you want to include the prequels, as a newcomer I'd suggest 'The Machete Order' 4, 5, 2, 3 & 6. See, 5 ends in a hell of a cliffhanger, and then 2 & 3 will give you the background, then 6 will wrap it all up! This order excludes Episode 1, because frankly, it sucks, and it doesn't really tell you anything 2 doesn't.

See, I've seen them dozens of times, but in my most recent viewing I did that order, and it actually made me like 6 even more! The stakes seemed so much higher! I'd love to hear the thoughts of someone who hasn't seen any of them yet!
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I usually watch the prequels first so I get the bad out of the way quickly and finish on the very good stuff.
  • edited December 2015 Posts: 4,813
    I would add that as someone who's never seen them, period, watching the prequels first will spoil a TON of good stuff. So use caution.

I don't know how much you already know though.
    Tokoloshe wrote: »
    Shocking confession time. I've never seen a Star Wars film. Mrs Tokoloshe has only seen parts of them, ages ago.

We have all six available to watch and are thinking about doing it over Christmas. So should we start with 4-6 or 1-3?

The originals (4-6) are still the definitive films. Plus, as @Thunderfinger says, the plot won't have the same impact if you see the prequels first.
    So DC has a cameo as a Stormtrooper then?

I'm guessing he'll be easy to spot......

He'll be the one wearing an Omega Seamaster watch.

;)
    Is he hitting on Leia?
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited December 2015 Posts: 15,690
    I didn't notice Craig but I spotted Iko Uwais (from 'The Raid').
    It is a smokescreen. Craig plays R2-D2.
    Does the storm-trooper in question have large ears?
    It is a smokescreen. Craig plays R2-D2.

*sniggers*
  • edited December 2015 Posts: 1,098
    Star Wars BO

The film opened up in North America with a record estimated $57 mil for Thursday's previews.

Film is now on track to beat Jurassic World's opening weekend?

Internationally the film has made an estimated $72.7 mil for Weds and Thurs previews, with a record breaking opening in the UK of $14.4 mil for its first day.

Now, we come into the weekend where it really is gonna be massive!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    The stormtrooper Dan is dressed as is OBVIOUSLY the one that walks into every room adjusting his invisible shirt cuffs. Come on, guys. Think outside the outside of the box.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited December 2015 Posts: 23,883
    Just saw it. Incredible film and well worth the wait!

It captures the spirit of the originals (which is very difficult to do imho) brilliantly. It may be a little derivative here and there plot-wise, but not so much as to spoil the experience at all - I just rewatched the original trilogy over the past few days, and this still felt fresh.

Wonderful character work as well (the mark of a film that will age well) and as I hoped, the right bit of humour injected where required to keep the viewer engaged and energized. The tone (another important ingredient for me) is just perfect throughout.

I'm really looking forward to the next installment - they've set everything up nicely for that one.

Also, I think I have a new favourite droid.

Will be seeing it again on Monday - this time in glorious IMAX.