Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

2001 a space odyssey.
    The Shining is still my personal favorite, followed by Dr. Strangelove and Paths of Glory as my Top 3. I like 2001 alright, but not as much as most people (the HAL section is nothing short of fantastic though). I just finished Kubrick's last film, with a lot of mixed feelings left over. I certainly loved the Christmas theme...
    Ibyhinl thebahining is my favorite of his films.2001 has some amazing moments though especially in the beginning.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @Problem_Eliminator
    What movie now? "Ibyhinl thebahining"?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    FoxRox wrote: »
    The Killing was really good - Kubrick's most underrated flick imo. He was certainly one of the most talented directors to ever live.

THAT is an excellent film.

Since we're loving on Kubrick right now, 'Full Metal Jacket' is my favorite of his and one of the best movies I think I've ever seen. It's stuck with me ever since my first viewing of it, very tough to watch at times.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    For the final month of 2015 I have decided to a retrospective on my favorite director, Hong Kong's very own Johnnie To.

First off: The Mission (not to be confused with the 1980's film with De Niro and Irons).

Johnnie To has the knack of always making short movies, ranging from 80 to 90 minutes, and they don't seem too short. Not one minute of screentime is wasted, as To uses every moment available for telling an entertaining story with highly interesting characters. 'Mission' is one of his most famous works, a group of 5 hitmen will act as bodyguards for the boss of a gangster organisation.

I love this movie for the main reason I love 'The Fellowship of the Ring': this group of hitmen stays together the entire film, there are no side stories or anything, just 5 killers bonding together while on a job.

Also featured are some of the most stylish shootouts in cinema. To could direct these type of scenes in his sleep. They are not 'gritty' like you'd expect in a Bourne movie, au contraire, they are played out like a ballet of stunning choregraphy in the middle of flying bullets.

In conclusion: If you have 90 minutes to spare, I suggest to all fans of action/crime movies to discover the world of Johnnie To's cinema. And no better place to start than 'The Mission', the movie which revealed him as an institution of modern Hong-Kong cinema.
    @DaltonCraig007, did I tell you (or did I post it anywhere? I really don't recall.) that I finally saw 'No Tears For The Dead'?
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @Creasy47 what did you think of it? I thought it was not as good as 'Man from Nowhere' (same director), but it still wipes the floor with most action films from North America. I have acquired the first film from this director, 'Cruel Winter Blues', and I will give it a watch soon.
    @Creasy47 what did you think of it? I thought it was not as good as 'Man from Nowhere' (same director), but it still wipes the floor with most action films from North America. I have acquired the first film from this director, 'Cruel Winter Blues', and I will give it a watch soon.

That's how I felt - not as great as 'The Man From Nowhere,' but it was still an entertaining way to spend two hours. Starts with a powerful and emotional opening, and the wrap-up (and final seconds) were unexpected and very well done. I think the apartment scene was my favorite in the movie, it was so intense and everyone gets destroyed in that sequence!
    edited December 2015 Posts: 15,690
    @Creasy47 please try to watch 'The Suspect', 'Hwayi: A Monster Boy' and 'The Berlin File'. They are in the same style as 'Man From Nowhere' and 'No Tears of the Dead'. I reviewed them a few months ago.
    Wow, I watched a trailer for 'The Berlin File' and all I could yell out was "Daaaamn!" The trailer wasn't edited together too professionally, but the film itself looks really entertaining and well done. Think I'm going to watch it today!
    edited December 2015 Posts: 15,690
    @Creasy47 the main actor is everywhere - he's the killer in 'The Chaser', the main character in 'The Yellow Sea' (the action is so intense in that film I almost threw up), 'The Terror Live' (South Korean version of 'Phone Booth' = 1000 times more intense) and 'Nameless Gangster' with the main guy from Oldboy).

If you like the later, and I know you enjoy gangster movie, try 'New Order' (also with the guy from Oldboy) and 'Gangnam Blues' (don't pay attention to the IMDB rating, I thought it's a brillant film with 2 outstanding new actors, and it has one of the steamiest sex scenes I've ever seen). If you love this film, you can also try 'For the Emperor' for more violent action, and uber classy main character.
    I really need to go back and see 'The Chaser' again. What a brutal, heartbreaking film that is, just like the impressive perfection that is 'I Saw The Devil.' 'The Berlin File' is absolutely on my plate for tonight, I can't wait.

God knows I'm a fan of steamy sex scenes and violent action, so I'll be sure to watch 'Gangnam Blues' and 'For the Emperor,' as well.
    December 2015 Johnnie To retrospective

The Longest Nite
    Made with almost no budget, To manages to make a thrilling cat & mouse chase during a long night in Hong Kong. You can feel the sweat and night life of Hong Kong like only Michael Mann could achieve.

The low budget also didn't stop To from adding some awesome shootouts and car chases. This was one of To's early work, and you can see the man clearly had an eye for directing crime/thriller films.

- The Mission (1999)
    - The Longest Nite (1998)

Looking forward to your review of Berlin File, @Creasy47.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Always Watching: The Marble Hornets Story. (2015)
    Your typical found footage horror movie based on the Slenderman mythos. It wasn't terrible, but it was just average. I would have preferred less focus on the characters and more focus on Slendy!
    ___mmd__slenderman_v1_0_model___download___by_deadlyneurot0xin-d56lod8.png
  • Murdock wrote: »
    Whoa is that a movie remake of the 2009 Marble Hornets series?? Awesome! Good lord that used to creep me out when I was home alone, lol. I would get so excited when a new episode popped up on YouTube.

I never did finish it- it appeared to be never ending. Did you finish it Murdock?
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Murdock wrote: »
    Whoa is that a movie remake of the 2009 Marble Hornets series?? Awesome! Good lord that used to creep me out when I was home alone, lol. I would get so excited when a new episode popped up on YouTube.

I never did finish it- it appeared to be never ending. Did you finish it Murdock?
    I never knew about the Marble Hornets series. I only knew about the indie created Slender games. :P And from the reviews I read it is based on the web series. It's not bad. I would recommend a watch, it did creep me out at times. :D
    Just watched one of my old forgotten favourites for the first time in probably 15 years, Michael Douglas in 'Black Rain'.I'd forgotten just how bloody brilliant this film is.
    yogi1 wrote: »
    Just watched one of my old forgotten favourites for the first time in probably 15 years, Michael Douglas in 'Black Rain'.I'd forgotten just how bloody brilliant this film is.

Love the opening to that movie! It's badass.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited December 2015 Posts: 23,883
    I haven't seen Black Rain for a few years even though I have it on blu ray. I've got to get a rewatch in soon.

It has a post-modern, Blade Runner feel to it in places. Sato, that Yakuza baddie, was chilling.
    Killer's Kiss (1955). Though it's a big step up from Fear and Desire, it still is probably Kubrick's second weakest feature; aside from a pretty good finale, it was very average overall. Still, one thing I have to point out is the surprising, happy ending. Most Kubrick films end on a grim or neutral tone, but this one has a happy, storybook ending. People sometimes like to say Kubrick movies don't appeal to them because they are too cold and negative, but sometimes you can find some optimism in them. Example: While it's not "happy", I believe the ending of Paths of Glory is supposed to represent a small restoration of hope for humanity in Colonel Dax.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Speaking of Paths of Glory-Kirk Douglas turned 99 yesterday.
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    Naked Gun 2 1/2 - Can't beat Leslie Nielsen at his best. Good stuff.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Killer's Kiss (1955). Though it's a big step up from Fear and Desire, it still is probably Kubrick's second weakest feature; aside from a pretty good finale, it was very average overall. Still, one thing I have to point out is the surprising, happy ending. Most Kubrick films end on a grim or neutral tone, but this one has a happy, storybook ending. People sometimes like to say Kubrick movies don't appeal to them because they are too cold and negative, but sometimes you can find some optimism in them. Example: While it's not "happy", I believe the ending of Paths of Glory is supposed to represent a small restoration of hope for humanity in Colonel Dax.

@FoxRox, here's my Kubrick ranking:

Superior. Not the work of mortal man.
    2001: A Space Odyssey: 11/10

Wow! Just WOW!
    The Shining: 9,5/10
    Dr. Strangelove: 9,5/10
    A Clockwork Orange: 9/10
    Lolita: 9/10
    Paths Of Glory: 9/10

Oh this is very good!
    Spartacus: 8,5/10
    The Killing: 8,5/10
    Full Metal Jacket: 8/10
    Barry Lyndon: 8/10

Not bad
    Eyes Wide Shut: 7,5/10
    Killer's Kiss: 6,5/10

Passable
    Fear And Desire: 5/10

:-)
    From Kubrick I've seen '2001 A Space Odyssey', 'Paths of Glory', 'Clockwork Orange', 'Barry Lyndon' and 'Dr. Strangelove', and I was amazed at each of these films.
    DarthDimi wrote: »

@FoxRox, here's my Kubrick ranking:

Superior. Not the work of mortal man.
    2001: A Space Odyssey: 11/10

Wow! Just WOW!
    The Shining: 9,5/10
    Dr. Strangelove: 9,5/10
    A Clockwork Orange: 9/10
    Lolita: 9/10
    Paths Of Glory: 9/10

Oh this is very good!
    Spartacus: 8,5/10
    The Killing: 8,5/10
    Full Metal Jacket: 8/10
    Barry Lyndon: 8/10

Not bad
    Eyes Wide Shut: 7,5/10
    Killer's Kiss: 6,5/10

Passable
    Fear And Desire: 5/10

:-)

Good ranking. I just need to watch Spartacus to make mine; our bottom 3 are the same in order though.
    Naked Gun 2 1/2 - Can't beat Leslie Nielsen at his best. Good stuff.

You really can't. Not many films make me laugh until the tears are running down my face like the 'Naked Gun' series does. Nielsen nails comedy.
    Air Force One (1997)

zzz, mediocre
  • edited December 2015 Posts: 12,270
    Spartacus (1960). Very solid film all around - good acting (particularly from Douglas and Ustinov - fabulous work), good story, and a surprising amount of emotion involved. It certainly has to be the most different of all Kubrick's works - more mainstream and straightforward. Still, I really enjoyed it; it's a very good epic and kept me interested through it's long run-time. With that, here's my ranking of all 13 of Stanley Kubrick's films:

13. Fear and Desire (1953)
    12. Killer's Kiss (1955)
    11. Eyes Wide Shut (1999)
    10. Full Metal Jacket (1987)
    9. Lolita (1962)
    8. Spartacus (1960)
    7. 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)
    6. The Killing (1956)
    5. A Clockwork Orange (1971)
    4. Barry Lyndon (1975)
    3. Paths of Glory (1957)
    2. Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964)
    1. The Shining (1980)

#9 and #8 are pretty much interchangeable, as are #6 and #5. But that's my tentative ranking having seen all of Kubrick's films. Keep in my this is just my personal taste - not a definitive ranking.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    The cabin in the woods, fun horror with a twist. I laughed at a few
    of the jokes, I don't think they meant it to be taken too seriously.