Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I love Charlotte Rampling, but Zardoz is guano crazy. 8-}
  • edited December 2015 Posts: 5,831
    Gamera vs. Barugon The best of the series so far, even if Gamera is only a secondary player in it, just here to get frozen and then finish an already wounded Barugon. Still, the more serious in the Showa series, which, in my book, is a plus.
    I love Charlotte Rampling, but Zardoz is guano crazy. 8-}

Yes, completely. The little I have seen looks like Boorman did some heavy drugs at the time.

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    MY GUILTY PLEASURE RANKING
    Great because it's actually not bad.
    Last Action Hero
    Great because it's the best acid trip you ever had without acid.
    Zardoz
    Last Action Hero is awesome, and Zardoz is a great 70's acid trip, as you say!

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited December 2015 Posts: 40,528
    Munich (2005) This film is in my top 5 favorite films of all time. Simply perfect - tightly written script filled with fantastic one liners and great scenes, an ensemble cast giving stunning performances, and spectacular directing from Spielberg. I could watch this film over and over again and never be bored of it. I haven't seen 'Bridge of Spies' yet but if 'Munich' is anything to go by, Spielberg could direct a kick-ass Bond film.

This is fact!
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Munich (2005) This film is in my top 5 favorite films of all time. Simply perfect - tightly written script filled with fantastic one liners and great scenes, an ensemble cast giving stunning performances, and spectacular directing from Spielberg. I could watch this film over and over again and never be bored of it. I haven't seen 'Bridge of Spies' yet but if 'Munich' is anything to go by, Spielberg could direct a kick-ass Bond film.

This is fact!

I might have to check it out then

:)
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited December 2015 Posts: 15,692
    Last night after worrying news on the television I decided to switch to something else: I did a triple dose of 1990's action flicks with The Rock, Face/Off and Point Break.

Point Break was a first for me. Brilliant movie, Keanu Reeves and Gary Busy are fantastic, great soundtrack and a lot of thrilling action scenes.

The Rock is a favorite of mine, Cage's and Connery's chemistry is off the charts, and Connery's badassery is just mindboggling. Always a teary eye in the end knowing this was Sir Sean's final action film.

As for Face/Off, this movie is just epic. Cage and Travolta give 2 of the most exciting and awesome performances I've ever seen, the action is top notch, and the plot is so insane it actually works.

I very much miss the 1990's.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Your reviews are always so enthusiastic, I get carried away myself. Didn t care for Point Break myself, but the other two are awesomely entertaining.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I love all 3 of those films @DaltonCraig007. I must rewatch them soon. Great 90's fun, all of them, but I can't remember Point Break all that much since it's the oldest of the three.

PS: There is a new Point Break remake coming out soon. I saw a trailer of it during the new Hunger Games film and the action looks awesome. I have to check that out when it hits theatres.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Jurassic World.

Not as good as the first, but enjoyed it way more than its two sequels.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited December 2015 Posts: 13,901
    Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation

Cruise delivers the goods again. My only gripe is the Airbus sequence. As tense as it is, it should have been pushed further into the film. It's like a magician who opens his act with his best trick, rather than building up to it.
    And i'm not saying that I want EON to begin a trend, but is there a chance of Rebecca Ferguson popping up in a Bond film at some point?

How does Rogue Nation stack up against the other MI films...?

1. Mission Impossible 3 (2006)
    2. Mission Impossible (1996)
    3. Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol (2011)
    4. Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation (2015)
    5. Mission Impossible 2 (2000)
    @MajorDSmythe, if you switched 'Ghost Protocol' and 'Rogue Nation' and read the list backwards, that'd be my list. I do agree about the airbus sequence, it was rather disappointing for them to build up such a magnificent sequence, only to deliver it in the first couple of minutes. After that, there was nothing left to be totally blown away by.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Agreed, I was let down by the middle heist sequence in RN. Then again, after the Burj Kalifa sequence in GP, you really couldn't top that.
    edited December 2015 Posts: 13,901
    You like MI2 most, @Creasy47? Despite it's reputation, I don't think it's a bad film . For starters, there's the sequence below...

... and it has Hopkins as the head of the IMF. MI2 is also the only one that i've seen on the big screen. I think of it as the lesser film in the series, and it that is the lesser of the MI series, then the series hasn't done too badly in it's 19 years.
    Indeed I do! Actually, I'm one of the rare few that enjoys the movie in general, it seems. I will admit, as the years have gone on and I've gotten older, more and more stands out in the movie that doesn't particularly sit well with me. However, it has enough proper action sequences to interest me, it has a solid, believable villain, and the locations are beautiful, which is all I can ask for.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited December 2015 Posts: 23,883
    Agreed, I was let down by the middle heist sequence in RN. Then again, after the Burj Kalifa sequence in GP, you really couldn't top that.
    Rebecca Ferguson kept me interested in RN tp the end, but I agree that Burj Khalifa was not topped in the newer film. I absolutely was blown away by the car and bike chase though.
  • You like MI2 most, @Creasy47? Despite it's reputation, I don't think it's a bad film . For starters, there's the sequence below...

... and it has Hopkins as the head of the IMF. MI2 is also the only one that i've seen on the big screen. I think of it as the lesser film in the series, and it that is the lesser of the MI series, then the series hasn't done too badly in it's 19 years.
    That 'best scene' was blatantly ripped off of a virtually identical scene in Darkman (even down to the duct tape teeth!)

However I would agree M:I 2 does have a rep for being worse than it is. I find it easily the least favorite of the M:I series though. But that doesn't necessarily make it bad.
    Full Metal Jacket (1987). I might get blasted for this, but I consider it to be one of Kubrick's weaker films overall. It's probably because I'm not a big fan of war films. It's not bad, just not my cup of tea. I much prefer Paths of Glory for Kubrick's anti-war efforts. Decent film, but a little overrated in my humble opinion.
    Paths of Glory is the superior film. FMJ was great until they hit the jungle.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    <center><font color = red size = 4>DD's 30 GUILTY PLEASURE FILMS</font></center>

<center><font color = darkblue size = 4>part 6/30</font></center>

<center><font color = darkblue size = 6>Nick Fury: Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. (1998)</font></center>

nick-fury-agent-of-shield_gallery_primary2.jpg

We can't say Marvel doesn't try. Before Blade, Singer's X-Men and Raimi's Spider-Man, we had already gotten three Captain America films, several Hulk films (also featuring Thor and Daredevil), Howard The Duck, a Dr Strange movie, some Spider-Man movies, a Fantastic Four movie and Generation X! Most of these endeavours unfortunately suffered from low television production values or extremely low budgets or both. DC wasn't doing a lot better: Steel, Supergirl, Superman III and Superman IV: The Quest For Peace, two insanely bad Swamp-Thing films, ... but at least DC had the Donner Superman films and some Tim Burton Batman to cling to. Those especially must have kept Marvel wondering why they couldn't get a slice of the superhero successes. And so in 1998, the same year Blade came out, Fox released Nick Fury: Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D., starring David Hasselhoff as the titular character.

Ten years before Sam Jackson's Nick Fury would ask Robert Downey's Tony Stark to join the biggest film franchise ever, the Hoff must come out of voluntary retirement to fight HYDRA. The evil Nazi 2.0 organisation, led by Andrea von Strucker a.k.a. Viper (Sandra Hess), wants to destroy Manhattan with a virus. Since a cigar eating Hoff is the only man who can save the world, S.H.I.E.L.D.'s executives pair him up with Lisa Rinna's Contessa Valentina "Val" Allegra de Fontaine - "Quite a mouthful when you try and wrap your tongue around it." Fury can rely on a fortune teller, dummies that were modelled after him and a bunch of people who worship him like he were the new Christ. But apart from saying things like, "Guys like you tend to cling to the bowl no matter how many times you flush.", Fury does little to stop the re-animation of Baron von Strucker who used to work alongside Red Skull, a villain so evil, even Hitler watered his pants in his presence. Fury may eventually stop the deadly virus from wiping out Manhattan but he can't prevent Andrea and her "popsicle" from taking an elevator down . to . China... How would Nick phrase it? "How long do I have before Kermit bites me the big one?"

Nick Fury: Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. was directed by Rod Hardy, whose resume includes a bunch of things you haven't seen, nor want to see, and the recent Silent Night Deadly Night 'reboot', simply called Silent Night. More impressive is the writer of this garbage: David S. Goyer. This man crafted all three of the Blade films and directed the third. He also co-wrote the Nolan Batman films and Man Of Steel ánd Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice! So we're basically dealing with a "connoisseur" here. It's most unfortunate then that Nick Fury assembled some lost cast members from Baywatch and Melrose Place and allowed Fox to squeeze out an incredibly simple-minded production, lacking any sophistication or in-depth character design. Everybody loves Nick Fury, even Fury himself loves Nick Fury. Understandingly so, because this man can come up with lines like "I feel like a damn bratwurst here. Either get me out of here, or get me some mustard." Who wouldn't worship at his altar? Not Sandra Hess perhaps, because she plays the moustache twirling evil German, and since she lacks a moustache, she compensates by giving us evil witch-like laughter after every sentence. Also, she calls her dad "fazer" when Goldmember hadn't even come out yet. Stereotypical comic book evil German. Great writing...

Reb Brown's Captain America can be forgiven for its silliness in 1979. But this is 1998! Even television films had better production material at their disposal. Also, a better script doesn't necessarily have to make a film more costly. The film now suffers from 1D thinking: good guys versus bad guys. "Hydra's been jerkin' our chain six ways to Sunday!", says Nick, in case you weren't already convinced. And since 1998's America can't handle the word "ass", mighty Nick shouts, "Let's go kick Hydra butt!" Some of the visuals were better than expected though and we have to admit that Hasselhoff is surrounded by some lovely women. Other than that, this looks like something Goyer would write to please a 5-year old. Shame on Fox for actually picking it up and going with it. So what we're left with now is a yukfest of bad lines, stupid plot twists and ridiculous characters. Perhaps that's why I get such a blast out of watching Nick Fury: Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. Everything is so OTT, I always come back for more, like an abused wife.

Wait, you don't like that line? Let's hear Nick say it then: "Relax, kid. I'm just blowing smoke up your hoo-ha."

MY GUILTY PLEASURE RANKING
    Great because it's actually not bad.
    Last Action Hero

Great because it's the best acid trip you ever had without acid.
    The Avengers (1998)
    Zardoz

Great because it's fun to see people go totally off the rails.
    Showgirls
    Nick Fury: Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Great because I just happen to like these things and I'm not too proud to admit it.
    G.I. Joe: The Movie

FoxRox wrote: »
    Full Metal Jacket (1987). I might get blasted for this, but I consider it to be one of Kubrick's weaker films overall. It's probably because I'm not a big fan of war films. It's not bad, just not my cup of tea. I much prefer Paths of Glory for Kubrick's anti-war efforts. Decent film, but a little overrated in my humble opinion.

I absolutely love the first 45 minutes at boot camp. After that, I find it hard to watch.
    I tried to watch Nick Fury once, but gave it up.
    Keeping on my Kubrick run, I checked out Fear and Desire (1953). Just about every ranking of Kubrick's 13 films places this last, and I fully understand why. It's laughably bad - the writing, acting, and editing are all just awful. Seriously, some of the lines (especially the one about the great grandmother) and editing just made me laugh at how bad it could be. Comparing this debut effort to his later work, it's amazing to see how much Kubrick improved as a director.
  • edited December 2015 Posts: 3,336
    Keeping on my Kubrick run, I checked out Fear and Desire (1953). Just about every ranking of Kubrick's 13 films places this last, and I fully understand why. It's laughably bad - the writing, acting, and editing are all just awful. Seriously, some of the lines (especially the one about the great grandmother) and editing just made me laugh at how bad it could be. Comparing this debut effort to his later work, it's amazing to see how much Kubrick improved as a director.

Yea that movie was pretty bad, but i had to finish just so that i had watched all of his films :)

Remember, @FoxRox, that Kubrick agreed with you as he tried to have all copies of the film destroyed.

I admit that this is definitely his worst but to be honest, there are things about F&D I like. For example, we never know which country is fighting which country, or where, or when. And Kubrick has our "hero" (?) soldiers do and say less than heroic things. His anti-war propaganda came early in his career.
    @DarthDimi good points about the positives. I've seen many, many worse movies still - it's just crazy knowing that it's from such a masterful director. It made for an interesting watch.
    @FoxRox,

It's important to remember I think that Kubrick was mostly a self-educated photographer. What astonishes me is how much he learned about storytelling and directing actors between his first and second movie. By the time we get to The Killing, Kubrick was practically "fully trained" so to speak.
    The Killing was really good - Kubrick's most underrated flick imo. He was certainly one of the most talented directors to ever live.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    The Killing was really good - Kubrick's most underrated flick imo. He was certainly one of the most talented directors to ever live.

Great film. Would like to see it again someday.
  • edited December 2015 Posts: 12,284
    I actually just bought it, and I'm expecting it in the mail pretty soon. I find I generally prefer Kubrick's earlier work to his later work.
    I find it very difficult to rank the Kubricks, except when it comes to 2001. That film is number 1 for me. But after that, yeah, difficult. Paths Of Glory, The Killing, The Shining, Lolita...? They're all outstanding.