The James Bond Questions Thread

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Gerard wrote: »
    Question about Moonraker :

Who do you think wanted t kill Bond in the PTS ? I doubt it was Jaws, he's just a hired hand (well, mouth). So what are your theories about those mysterious adversaries ?

@Gerard, interesting question. Because the script of the film is pretty thin and more or less constructed around a few money shots and set pieces, I'm sadly led to believe the filmmakers themselves never cared. I used to think that these people had been in cahoots with Stromberg and that Bond had been tying up some loose knots from the previous film. ;-)

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    In LTK, just before his tanker truck gets hit by the rocket, isn t that Cheech Marin making a surprised face and running away?
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    In LTK, just before his tanker truck gets hit by the rocket, isn t that Cheech Marin making a surprised face and running away?

No. I don't think so.

Does anybody have the BBC News footage of Huw Edwards reporting on the MI6 attack in Skyfall? I never knew the EU version had this. In North America, it's CNN and Wolf Blitzer.
  • TokolosheTokoloshe Under your bed
    Does anybody have the BBC News footage of Huw Edwards reporting on the MI6 attack in Skyfall? I never knew the EU version had this. In North America, it's CNN and Wolf Blitzer.

They both appear in the film, I don't believe there are different versions.

Blitzer gives the CNN report that Bond sees in the bar in Turkey and which prompts him to go back to London.

Later in the film Huw Edwards reports for the BBC on the assassination of one MI6 agent as a consequence of the list of undercover identities having been leaked.

• meredith44meredith44 the great unknown
    Question about CR: why poker? Isn't baccarat the game that appeared in the original book? What are differences between those two? Is it about it, that baccarat is not played anymore, and producers wanted CR to have a modern feel? Sorry for my ignorance ;;)
    meredith44 wrote: »
    Question about CR: why poker? Isn't baccarat the game that appeared in the original book? What are differences between those two? Is it about it, that baccarat is not played anymore, and producers wanted CR to have a modern feel? Sorry for my ignorance ;;)

Yes, I think baccarat is far too obscure these days. Poker would be far more meaningful to a modern audience.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Plus TV poker tournaments were a big thing then.
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC

Poker is particularly popular at the time. Also, baccarat is solely a game of luck, whereas poker is skill over the long term.

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited November 2015 Posts: 28,694
    Sark wrote: »

Poker is particularly popular at the time. Also, baccarat is solely a game of luck, whereas poker is skill over the long term.

Yeah, poker connects well to the theme of secrets/bluffing that is key in the film, and I recall reading that Michael G. Wilson is a hell of a player and his expertise was handy on set, so there's that.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 5,774
    Question about AVTAK : has anyone been able to spot Maud Adams's cameo, and if so, did someone made a screencap of it ?
    Gerard wrote: »
    Question about AVTAK : has anyone been able to spot Maud Adams's cameo, and if so, did someone made a screencap of it ?

I think it was fairly conclusively solved recently and MI6 had an article on it. Look on the main website under the movies tab for AVTAK and it may come up.
    Anyone know where I can find first drafts of Bond scripts? I have the GE Michael France and TND Bruce Feirstein - would love to read the original 70 page treatment for Moonraker co-authored by Gerry Anderson.

If this has a previous thread can someone point me to it?

Thank you.
  • Hello all,

I am collecting the bond soundtracks. I have 10 or so, but am having difficulty finding the 2 disc edition of OHMSS in the UK.
    any suggestions please as to where I might obtain this?
    @MarkHazardQM
    I found something here:
    http://elitesoundtracks.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=62&product_id=1858&limit=50
    It does, however, look like the additional material is hardly worth the extra disc. A few of the tracks on the EMI soundtrack were split up, hence the larger number of tracks, and there's an additional "suite" that I believe can be found elsewhere too. Anyway, here's what I found. ;-)
  • Thanks! I will look it up. Thank you very much indeed!
    http://consequenceofsound.net/2015/11/canadian-filmmakers-to-remake-james-bond-films-after-copyright-expires/

Is this thing actually possible? And if yes..when can people freely use James Bond?
  • edited December 2015 Posts: 7
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    @MarkHazardQM
    I found something here:
    http://elitesoundtracks.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=62&product_id=1858&limit=50
    It does, however, look like the additional material is hardly worth the extra disc. A few of the tracks on the EMI soundtrack were split up, hence the larger number of tracks, and there's an additional "suite" that I believe can be found elsewhere too. Anyway, here's what I found. ;-)

Wow! This is even more complete than the other 2 disc version I was referring to. Excellent, thank you! This site looks good, I can see many soundtrack purchases ahead.

So these are the two, I was after the the one with the dark cover, but that is 'sold out' which accounts for my difficulty getting it, I guess I will have to get the other one, which seems more complete anyway.
    Does anyone have an opinion about this issue over the 'sold out' one?

http://elitesoundtracks.com/index.php?route=product/search&search=On her majesty's secret service
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Tokoloshe wrote: »
    The gunbarrel nose looks more like an obvious SF reference, think of the promotional posters.

That's Vesper's Algerian love knot, is it not?

Knot or not? I don t know, it is just a drawing. The human eye sees anything it looks for I guess.

For me it is 100% the Algerian Love Knot. I now see what you guys are saying about the skull being a Skyfall reference
    Sark wrote: »

Chemin de fur is not a game solely of luck, and this is the version of Baccarat Bond is always seen playing. It's more akin to Blackjack than Poker in terms of skill required.

Punto Banco Baccarat I think is entirely luck.
    edited December 2015 Posts: 23,449
    @MarkHazardQM
    The one with the black cover contains practically everything that's in the film. I'm a pretty big completist myself but I'm more than satisfied with this version.

The 'expanded' scores which you can find in limited numbers nowadays are, with the exception of perhaps DAD and the Craigs, not really all that satisfying. I have such expanded editions of TSWLM, TLD, LTK, GE and TND too and they all have the following "issues":

- tracks available on the official releases are just split up to create the appearance of more music

- sound effects from the film can be heard or are clumsily blurred out by tampering with the volume, creating a very uneven listening experience

- additional music is often compiled from the "Bond Back In Action Again" or other releases

Take the expanded GE score, for example. You can hear the gates move open and Brosnan running and breathing during the first moments of the film immediately after the gun barrel which, itself, still contains obvious echoes of the bullet on the CD. Or how about TND? The DVD offers you the chance to watch the film with nothing but the score but the problem is that the volume of the soundmix is constantly adjusted from loud to almost silent to loud again. The "expanded" TND score is nothing but a rip from the DVD with the volume evened out as well as possible but far from perfect. Yet that score is somewhat successful in what it set out to be. The LTK score for example is just terrible. Sound effects, weird edits, sudden cuts, ... I also have a beef with the QOS expanded score. There's a lot of ambient background music on it that can be heard if you pay attention to it but that wasn't part of Arnold's score. Also, the second CD is mostly music from the video game.

These expanded scores are sadly no official remastered works or whatever. They are the best thing someone could do with what's on the official soundtracks, the DVD's and other stuff. I don't mind listening to them; for the time being they are the closest we have to a full score. But most of them are very uneven, "unclean" in terms of sound effects from the film and still somewhat incomplete if you really want to get technical. ;-)

@MarkHazardQM
    I suggest you check out this thread if your looking for lost Bond music and looking to expand your Bond soundtracks. :)

http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/6730/lost-but-now-found-the-unreleased-bond-music-thread#latest
  • Hmmm... Sound effects? Foley track? No thanks! Perhaps I will stick with the non-expanded editions, all I want is the music. Still, I might try the longer edition of OHMSS.
    Only a couple of those have sounds in them. The rest are pretty clean rips.
    Is SP the first time that an actor who only appears in a single scene (Jesper Christensen) has been listed in the title credits?
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Is SP the first time that an actor who only appears in a single scene (Jesper Christensen) has been listed in the title credits?

Does Llewelyn count? He has a single scene in GE and TND that is over quicker than Christensen's in SP, yet he is listed in the title credits.

Does Llewelyn count? He has a single scene in GE and TND that is over quicker than Christensen's in SP, yet he is listed in the title credits.

Yes, good point. Also @Birdleson is most likely correct about the early films with more names at the start.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @Birdleson, I like to think of it as a coincidence, but then again, she was working directly under Janus who must've known that Bond was still out there and would inevitably be on his tail. However, the fact that she accomplished her mission either way and would've inevitably destroyed London alongside Trevelyan if Bond wasn't on the picture makes me think otherwise.

I look into every moment of GE way too much, coming up with too many possibilities to settle on just one.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited December 2015 Posts: 10,586
    Have they dropped the acronym for S.P.E.C.T.R.E?
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    I remember Sam Mendes saying at some point that the acronym S.P.E.C.T.R.E. doesn't exist in the film Spectre, but that the organization is just called "Spectre".

To answer your question, yes, they've dropped it, but you never know if they'll bring it back in the future.
  • Thunderball007Thunderball007 United States
    What does Oberhauser mean when he calls himself a visionary?
  • Yes, the acronym was dropped; the more “serious” tone of the DC films didn’t accommodate for the flamboyant sounding acronym. Mendes said in an interview with Empire that it’s gone and SPECTRE were now Spectre. In original drafts of the script more explanation is given. The name is taken from a rogue battalion of The French Foreign Legion that Blofeld and Mr. White were part of named “Les Spectre de St. Pierre”.

Blofeld is described as a “visionary” because it’s a handy scriptwriter device to giving a villain motivation which they may be otherwise lacking.

Here’s my question: Why does Blofeld want the Nine Eyes programme to be passed? He already has a mass surveillance programme in play (I mean he was already watching everything). Why would the Nine Eyes programme have helped? He seemingly had it all already.