The James Bond Questions Thread

Comments

• MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?

Here’s my question: Why does Blofeld want the Nine Eyes programme to be passed? He already has a mass surveillance programme in play (I mean he was already watching everything). Why would the Nine Eyes programme have helped? He seemingly had it all already.

I assume its because Blofeld only has access to the UK's surveillance feeds (via C) and not the other 8 countries. The Nine Eyes ties all the systems together and allows access to all.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited December 2015 Posts: 7,526
    Yes, the acronym was dropped; the more “serious” tone of the DC films didn’t accommodate for the flamboyant sounding acronym. Mendes said in an interview with Empire that it’s gone and SPECTRE were now Spectre. In original drafts of the script more explanation is given. The name is taken from a rogue battalion of The French Foreign Legion that Blofeld and Mr. White were part of named “Les Spectre de St. Pierre”.

Blofeld is described as a “visionary” because it’s a handy scriptwriter device to giving a villain motivation which they may be otherwise lacking.

Here’s my question: Why does Blofeld want the Nine Eyes programme to be passed? He already has a mass surveillance programme in play (I mean he was already watching everything). Why would the Nine Eyes programme have helped? He seemingly had it all already.

This is really cool!

Maybe Blofeld wanted to expand his surveillance network, and having world governments agree with a mass surveillance program makes that easier... It's hard to know exactly how extensive his surveillance program was before Nine Eyes, obviously quite extensive, but maybe not on a global scale.

Question: We never knew Mr. White's first name, did we?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Snow.

Snow White and the 007 dwarf was one of the working titles.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    In Quantum of Solace, why does Fields trip Elvis?
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service

Snow.

Snow White and the 007 dwarf was one of the working titles.

=)) Was this in the leaked script? :P
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?

It buy's Bond some time to leave with Camille. She see's Elvis is following them down the steps so stops him. Not the best choice in her career...
  • augie7107augie7107 Boston
    Moneypenny's phone number in Spectre is +44(0)75956964 according to Bond's phone in the DB10. Is this a valid number format for UK? I realize 44 is the country code for UK but I am not familiar with the (0).
  • TokolosheTokoloshe Under your bed
    augie7107 wrote: »
    Moneypenny's phone number in Spectre is +44(0)75956964 according to Bond's phone in the DB10. Is this a valid number format for UK? I realize 44 is the country code for UK but I am not familiar with the (0).

The bracketed zero is because within the UK you would dial 0759... but if dialling from elsewhere to the UK you would dial +44759...

Either way, the number you give it two digits too short.
  • augie7107augie7107 Boston
    Tokoloshe wrote: »
    augie7107 wrote: »

The bracketed zero is because within the UK you would dial 0759... but if dialling from elsewhere to the UK you would dial +44759...

Either way, the number you give it two digits too short.

Thank you. Unfortunately the last two digits are cut off and you can't see them. Not that I would believe it would be a true individual's number anyway. It must be akin to the 555 prefixed numbers used for years in movies.
    The UK phone system has a wide range of numbers put aside for fictional use; I believe they simply come up as 'number not in use' if you dial them. So even if we had those last two digits it wouldn't matter anyway.
    That's a lot better than the 555 rule in the states.
    That's a lot better than the 555 rule in the states.

Agreed. The 555 system is so widely known that it takes you 'out of the movie' as you stop to remind yourself that that's the system they use. Can't understand why it's still used.
    555 rule is dumb! That's coming from someone who lives in the US.
    I like the effort to replicate reality. DVLA, the government agency for car and driver licence details has a whole series of apparently genuine looking prop info for film and TV use that is produced by exactly the same systems as the genuine articles.

I'm not sure whether the slightly iffy looking licences I saw in Bond in Motion necessarily used the same sources mind but expect procurement to have similar avenues for all things that seem very real and believable like telephone numbers, websites passports etc and cooperation for things like Sky/BBC news presenters in bulletins etc etc for that authentic edge
    andmcit wrote: »

I'm not sure whether the slightly iffy looking licences I saw in Bond in Motion necessarily used the same sources mind but expect procurement to have similar avenues for all things that seem very real and believable like telephone numbers, websites passports etc and cooperation for things like Sky/BBC news presenters in bulletins etc etc for that authentic edge

Which ones were iffy?
    At least one of old pink paper licences, IIRC for TD or maybe it was PB looked like it was a photocopy and a more up to date photo licence for PB. I did take some photos but would need to dig them out. The poor lighting doesn't allow for decent sharp pictures anyhow.
    I asked this a couple of pages back, but in going to ask again because im very curious.
    How does bond get the keys to Gumbolds office in OHMSS?
    I asked this a couple of pages back, but in going to ask again because im very curious.

Well, that's easy. He ran right past the receptionist and said "I hear you're looking for James Bond" =))

No, but in all honesty, I just thought of it as since Draco was a gangster he had connections and gave the key to James. Other opinions are welcome, however, so feel free to chime in everyone.

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator

@PropertyOfALady
    I think we're supposed to see that Greene gives Elvis a non-verbal command to pursue Bond, and Fields, who unlike ourselves doesn't have to experience the film in a blink-and-you-miss fashion, notices that and allows Bond an easy way out by tripping him.

That said... Elvis! A) Does he ever really pose a threat? Bond can rip a door handle off just like that while Elvis looks like he can't even get a jar of tomato sauce open. She should have let Elvis go after Bond and enjoy the show. Bond would have made this guy vaporate just by looking at him.

B) Now she has exposed herself as a direct ally of Bond and she has pissed Greene off. That right there is a most clumsy thing to do. Greene is still the guy with the money to buy power. The moment she and Bond have separated, he can send in the goon squad. Since she's in the business, she should have known better.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    edited December 2015 Posts: 2,138
    What does Oberhauser mean when he calls himself a visionary?

I believe he thinks that in his head the world would be a better place if he was in charge Orwellian/totalitarian style society he would lead. I think the comment is part pun literally a visionary in the sense of he could view everything and know everything in order to exploit matters for his own gains and that humanity would be brought down to an even level of wealth, rather than a Robin Hood style rob from the rich give to the poor, I believe his method would be that he would control the worlds wealth and everyone below would be so poor and dependable on what his regime would provide they would do whatever he told them to. There is no doubt for me the "Nine Eyes" project was all about this.

And also reflected by Whites comments that he had gone too far.

Not by pressing alt 4 or control Z, for sure.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Lockpicks.
    How did eon react to Sean Connery being in NSNA?

I have no idea. I am Thunderfinger, not God.
    No I'm on lunch break now, and I pop on a lot at work. B-)

@Problem_Eliminator,
    Not well. It hurt Cubby tremendously. And not just the sheer fact of Connery being in this film, but also because of his comments on television. E.g. at one point a TV host asked Connery who the biggest villain in the history of the Bond films had been, to which Connery replied, "Cubby Broccoli".

I pop in several times a day. In fact, before I joined I just browsed through posts and threads :P
    My boss caught me browsing through content on the forums one day and her eyes revealed a deep dissatisfaction. I stood up and said, "Lady, don't even think about criticising me. The first thing you should know about my organisation is that we have people everywhere. I myself have the power to ban people and close threads. Plus, I am in constant contact with a man named @Thunderfinger and you REALLY don't wanna mess with him. He's trained in 450 deadly manoeuvres with his toes alone and he has a magic penis. In fact, Superman wears Thunderfinger pyjamas."
    Due to hygienic reasons, this site is not allowed at my workplace.
    I had a teacher in highschool that was on eBay all day everyday.She would put a movie on and go buy things.One day she asked us if she should buy an Xbox or PlayStation, and we had a little debate about which was better.