The James Bond Questions Thread

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Hey, when my students are working on a test, I tend to wonder off to my favourite comic book website and make a few purchases through the power of PayPal. ;-)
    What's going on with this thread ? Is there something I missed ?
  • Thunderball007Thunderball007 United States
    LOL @ recent banter in this discussion! :))

Question:

Why exactly does Sir Sean Connery have resentment for Mr. Cubby Broccoli?
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Due to hygienic reasons, this site is not allowed at my workplace.

=))
    @Thunderball007

Connery felt that as the movies got more and more successful and the producers more and more wealthy, he was left out of it. Budgets went up yet Connery, who came from a poor family and understood the value of money, never saw his paycheck go up in the same way. Add to that his struggle to cope with fervent fandom and by 1967 you're dealing with a very displeased man. No wonder his return for DAF included a million dollars, which he generously donated to charity, and a two-picture deal with UA. David Picker, whom I generally disagree with (mostly regarding OHMSS), explained it well I think. If you're growing bigger and bigger, almost exponentially, you can't leave your superstar out of it. However, the way I see it, Saltzman was the one Connery resented most because he kept loading himself while being a tough negotiator with Connery at the same time. Apparently, if Harry came on stage, Connery would stop performing right there.

When Cubby was dying, Connery at last made a phone call and set aside the differences. Barbara talks about this on the Everything Or Nothing documentary which every Bond fan should see.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    That is all that matters in the end.
    They made peace before Cubby died. Why perpetuate old grudge?
    Birdleson wrote: »
    To clarify, I take Connery's side in the original dispute. All of that later stuff, bad mouthing Cubby publicly, starring in NSNA, was too much for my taste.

Who would you rather see in that film?
    But, now that you have thrown it out there, who wold have made a great older, grizzled Bond in 1983? Maybe Michael Caine?

Definetely not. I also like it as it is. Not sure how John Gavin looked in 83, but think he could have been a great Bond in 71.
    edited December 2015 Posts: 23,551
    How about McClory himself. Because of one silly night with Fleming and some booze, he spent the rest of his life thinking he owned Bond. Very well, he should have played Bond in that excuse for a film he put out then.

Then... his failure would have been complete.

hqdefault.jpg

Eh, and if not him, then how about Sam Neill?
    Sam Neill is better suited for a tv show. What were they thinking?
    But, now that you have thrown it out there, who wold have made a great older, grizzled Bond in 1983? Maybe Michael Caine?

Definetely not. I also like it as it is. Not sure how John Gavin looked in 83, but think he could have been a great Bond in 71.

I don't ever want to see an American Bond.

How about James Mason in his prime?
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited December 2015 Posts: 5,979
    Tokoloshe wrote: »
    Is SP the first time that an actor who only appears in a single scene (Jesper Christensen) has been listed in the title credits?

I know M, Q, and Moneypenny have been in the title credits for some time and I feel like they have all at various times had only one scene (Q, certainly).
    GOLDENEYE is on TV again. When Xenia pulls up on Bond in the scene immediately after that great Title Sequence (and we get that first jarring piece of shit music from Serra), is she intentionally following him? Does she know who he is? Or is it supposed to be a wacky coincidence?

Also, is Alex the Main Villain with the most names?
    Alec Trevalyn
    Janus
    (I feel like there's one more)

Not including Blofeld?

And is Comte Balthazar de Bleuville really French for Blofeld?
    I like the film as it is (mostly), I just think it was a really dickish move on Connery's part.

There's something about prickly personalities--Connery, Craig in very different ways--that make for excellent Bond performances.
    Agreed, Mason would have been a perfect Fleming Bond around 1960, give or take a few years
    He would have been a tremendous Bond.

Screen-Shot-2014-03-09-at-14.39.18.png
  • edited December 2015 Posts: 5,811
    No, it doesn't. Bleuville would translate as Blaustadt. For Blofeld (or more accurately Blaufeld), the right translation would be Bleuchamp, which is the one used in the movie.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited December 2015 Posts: 7,526
    While oddly on the topic of Blofeld in OHMSS, Rest In Peace Marc-Ange Draco.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Not sure how John Gavin looked in 83, but think he could have been a great Bond in 71.

Then thank Christ you weren't in charge of UA at the time is all I can say.

Do you guys put skyfall in your anniversary box set, or leave it as it came?
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    I've got it in there @Problem_Eliminator. I think I'll put Spectre in the bonus features slot when it comes out.
  • edited December 2015 Posts: 613
    I'm debating whether to put spectre in my blu ray set or just leave the cardboard cut out.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    FWIW, I left the cutout for SF. I just didn't see the need to have an empty SF case lying around.
  • I got the Skyfall DVD/Bluray combo, so I put the Bluray in the Bond 50 set and left the DVD in the box. ;)

Speaking of, does anyone have the Bond 50 set that includes Skyfall? I'm curious as to whether or not Eve or Severine was used for the packaging.
    That would be nice if they had a blue ray combo with one that matches the box set, and the normal one.
    edited December 2015 Posts: 9,117
    Just came out of a viewing of SP and can someone tell me why C is called C?

At the start M introduces him to Bond as 'Max Denbeigh head of the joint security staff' or some such and Bond says 'does that mean you should be called C then?' and looks very smug with this quip as if it's hilarious.

Am I being thick and missing something obvious because I can't for the life of me see the reason why Bond pulls this letter out of the air.

I can understand why Bond suggests Cleese should be called R (pathetically lame as it is) but here I seem to be missing the joke.

I know C was a codename for the 'real' M in the 60s but that's the only link I can fathom. I'm pretty sure at no point does M mention anything about him that begins with the letter C which leads to this abbreviation.
  • I thought his company name began with a C or something? It was kind of a weak nickname though, we have too many "initial" names already.
  • edited December 2015 Posts: 1,965
    Had Kevin McClory been able to remake Thunderball again as Warhead 2000 with Dalton in the role. Would that have been a success and tough competition for Brosnan and Eon? As it was with Moore & Eon with Connery making a rival Bond film.
    Denbigh was working for the CNS. Centre for National Security.
    I just assumed he was referring to him as a cunt.

Well clearly this is what he's alluding to and also M later but for that gag to work it also needs to mean sonething else.
    Denbigh was working for the CNS. Centre for National Security.

So C stands for 'centre'? In any event I don't think M mentions CNS in that meeting with Bond, it's only later we hear about that.
    I can t remember. I need to see it again.