Thomas Newman (stay/go)

Comments

• I couldn't agree with you more, he's no good. doesn't have a clue.
    And I think, the man hasn't any feelings about the score either.
    Would love Danny Elfman for the next music score, You should listen to the miision Impossible one. He would do one hell of a job.
  • He should go, sorry but have you ever realised there is somebody like John Barry?
    have you ever listened to the score of Danny Elfman? his mission Impossible music score was amazing, it even had a bond hint in it.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 11,425
    bondjames wrote: »
    Newman is no Barry undoubtedly (particularly for Bond) but his recycling is not unwarranted thematically, if SP is a follow on from SF.

It's actually quite original (for the Bond series) to be doing that, as it ties everything together musically, which makes sense given the same team is basically at work here (Craig/Mendes/Newman). A lot of other franchises have done that recently.

Yes, I have no problem with the reappearance of certain cues and motifs from Newman. Most composers do that with successive sequels in big franchises. I would much rather that than, for example, the way Marvel has butchered the musical continuity for the most part with the MCU.

Newman's music isn't to my liking with the exception of some segments, but even I think the criticism of him reusing stuff is a bit too much.

I have no issue with the references to SF in principal. The issue is that the original SF score he's refernecing was so weak to start with.

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Getafix wrote: »
    Newman is no Barry undoubtedly (particularly for Bond) but his recycling is not unwarranted thematically, if SP is a follow on from SF.

It's actually quite original (for the Bond series) to be doing that, as it ties everything together musically, which makes sense given the same team is basically at work here (Craig/Mendes/Newman). A lot of other franchises have done that recently.

Yes, I have no problem with the reappearance of certain cues and motifs from Newman. Most composers do that with successive sequels in big franchises. I would much rather that than, for example, the way Marvel has butchered the musical continuity for the most part with the MCU.

Newman's music isn't to my liking with the exception of some segments, but even I think the criticism of him reusing stuff is a bit too much.

I have no issue with the references to SF in principal. The issue is that the original SF score he's refernecing was so weak to start with.

The action motifs, sure. I think Mother and a couple of the other softer cues are quite strong, though.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Honestly I didn't think his scores for SP & SF were that bad. However, I would have preferred some more memorable consistent motifs. I liked the idea he had of linking some of the themes between the two films, but perhaps the actual cues should have been stronger. Nevertheless, SF & SP are inexorably linked due to Mendes' creative direction & Newman's score. That may have been their plan.
    Apart from American Beauty, has Newman ever written a memorable theme/ motif? I mean something that might actually go done as a classic movie score that gets referenced and people might dare I say it actually be able to hum?
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I think Newman contributed a couple of good tracks in total for SF and SP but overall I'm not a fan of his Bond work. There's nothing particularly special or elevating about it and it sounds like a rushed, last minute effort. Nothing dynamic about the scores at all. I've heard amateur composers make better Bond music. I've had more than enough if his work and I don't want him involved making anymore Bond music.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Newman's work consists of some good but mostly weak tracks. There's just not a whole lot of memorable music that can grab you like Barry, Martin, Hamlisch, Conti, Kamen, Serra or Arnold could.

The lack of Bond theme is another issue. The minimal uses of the Bond motif's are nice but there should have been a full blown rendition of it during The plane chase or something. Westminster Bridge was a huge tease when it had a Barry style Bond motif homage then went back to the lame scratchy electric guitar loops as heard from Skyfall.

It's sad when Kingsman and even Mission Impossible are delivering better music scores than Bond. Something's got to change and Newman's got to go.
    edited November 2015 Posts: 23,883
    @Murdock, he won't be around post-Mendes. I've seen many (not all) comment on wanting Mendes gone, so Newman is probably gone too, and Arnold may come back after all.....who knows.
    @Murdock, he won't be around post-Mendes. I've seen many (not all) comment on wanting Mendes gone, so Newman is probably gone too, and Arnold may come back after all.....who knows.
    That would satisfy me. I'd be happy with Arnold returning as I love his work for the series but I'd much rather like to hear someone new take the composer's chair like Joe Kraemer or Michael Giacchino. They've proven themselves worthy and would be inspired choices to replace Newman.
    It's a shame. There must composers out there who'd kill for this gig.

Newman appear really not very bothered by it at all.

At least Arnold was proud and honoured to have the job.
  • Re Newman's reuse of SF's music in SP: Is it possible he had limited time to write the score? Don't know what SP's post-production schedule was like, but composers are always complaining about not having enough time to score a film. (And maybe Barry wrote fast; he scored a lot of films.)
    Considering Sam Smith's song was done in January, Newman had more than enough time.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Shamelady wrote: »
    Re Newman's reuse of SF's music in SP: Is it possible he had limited time to write the score? Don't know what SP's post-production schedule was like, but composers are always complaining about not having enough time to score a film. (And maybe Barry wrote fast; he scored a lot of films.)
    Murdock wrote: »
    Considering Sam Smith's song was done in January, Newman had more than enough time.

I recall hearing that Newman started writing the score very early on - while the film was still shooting in fact. I'll have to look for the article that mentioned it but I am 100% sure he was writing music during principal photography.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited November 2015 Posts: 17,691
    Getafix wrote: »
    It's a shame. There must composers out there who'd kill for this gig.

Newman appear really not very bothered by it at all.

At least Arnold was proud and honoured to have the job.

Agreed. Newman has had two shots & produced a couple of non-offensive scores. Let's have Arnold back to bring back the big brassy Bond sound!
    He can go. I like the score for Spectre but it did sound a lot like SF. Im ready for someone new. And no I don't want Arnold back.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Just came out of my second viewing of SP and this score is just plain embarrassing.

The PTS helicopter fight is literally a carbon copy of SF and this lazy approach is repeated numerous times throughout the film.

As for any new music that hasn't been lifted direct from SF it's either bland, generic, unmemorable or a combination of all three of the above.

As someone who thought Newman's SF score was not half bad there's not a word I can offer in his defence here.

If I didn't know better I'd say he walked off the film halfway through and what we ended up with is what someone has cobbled together from Newman's half finished efforts supplemented by a swift copy/paste job using SFs score.

Dismal.
    All it was missing was a reuse of the Dr. No music when Blofeld's Morocco base was exploding. :))
    http://picosong.com/bXYY/
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    He can go. I like the score for Spectre but it did sound a lot like SF. Im ready for someone new. And no I don't want Arnold back.
    I like what Newman brought to the table, but am excited to see someone new on the job from now on. There are several excellent composers out there and I hope EON try to find someone decent for the next one. Someone hungry.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 163
    QOS was on TV tonight. I miss Arnold. The sound he started in CR was great.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Stay. Third times a charm. ;)
    Stay. Third times a charm. ;)
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    While I did enjoy the SP score, I'd much rather Arnold (or someone new) come in for the 25th installment.
    Someone new I think. Arnold did a decent job on CR and Qos though. He was better than Newman by that point
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Music is SO important to a Bond film (or most others IMO) that a bland composer should do dramas or comedies... Newman is by no means terrible, but he should stick to less intense movies. Let Newman go do those, and bring Arnold BACK!!!! DAMMIT!!! :))
    Arnold is capable of improvement. He has shown that (belatedly though). There are far superior choices out there imho. We need a fresh dynamic sound for Bond. We've been living in Barry's shadow for too long.
  • TubesTubes The Hebrew Hammer
    I might be the only one who thinks Newman's scores smoke Arnold's.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Tubes wrote: »
    I might be the only one who thinks Newman's scores smoke Arnold's.

You just might be! :D
  • I don't think people realize how much Arnold's score adds to CR and to the entire vibe of the movie.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I don't think people realize how much Arnold's score adds to CR and to the entire vibe of the movie.
    I agree, it's one of his best and it has it's own identity. When you hear it you know it's from CR.