What Directors Should Helm A Bond Film?

Comments

• edited November 2015 Posts: 1,098
    Martin Campbell..........this guy knows how to make a Bond film tick!

Never, ever again should the producers select an art-house director again.........result QOS, need i say more?
  • I think Brian de Palma would be a interesting director.
    He sure did a brilliant work with the first mission impossible movie.
    I think he would bring back the old style of connery, nevertheless he would certainly know how to continue the Spectre movie.
  • you mean bond 24, right?
  • I believe Spectre is already a big success and it has not even started in US
  • For me the next Bond director has to be Cary Fukunaga. He may be young and American, but the guy is very cineliterate and clearly has an understanding of iconic British characters (see his great adaption of Jane Eyre). Furthermore, he can do tense and atmosphere pictures, plus he has a total flair for action (we all remember that breathtaking tracking shot for True Detective). And by all accounts he's knocked it out of the park with Beasts of No Nation.

So if Mendes has really stepped aside (which I sorta doubt), Fukunaga seems like the perfect heir to the throne. Furthermore, he has stated he wants to direct a Bond film! I think if Craig is out, EON have to get Fukunaga and Idris Elba for the next Bond film.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/beasts-of-no-nation-director-cary-fukunaga-wants-to-direct-a-james-bond-film-starring-idris-elba-a6696451.html

beasts-of-no-nation-variety-cary-fukunaga-idris-elba-variety.jpg?w=670&h=377&crop=1

Other great possibilities:

Morten Tyldrum
    Duncan Jones
    John Hillcoat
    Ben Wheatley
    Lynne Ramsay
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Brad Bird for B25!
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Morten Tyldrum

Yes, please! And give us some Scandinavian locations.
    Grab either of the directors & much of the rest of the creative teams from the last MI movies -- both of which out-Bonded classic Bond.
  • eddychaputeddychaput Montreal, Canada
    Denis Villeneuve revealed in an interview a month or two back while discussing Sicario that he loves the Bond films and would love to direct one. There is some seriously good action in Sicario and he has an extraordinary understanding of tone and pacing. I think he could work wonders.
  • eddychaputeddychaput Montreal, Canada
    Murdock wrote: »
    Brad Bird for B25!

After what he did on Ghost Protocol, if he can be half as good on a Bond film, it would turn out really nicely.
    eddychaput wrote: »
    Murdock wrote: »
    Brad Bird for B25!

After what he did on Ghost Protocol, if he can be half as good on a Bond film, it would turn out really nicely.

And considering the Incredibles was practically a Super Hero movie disguised as a 60's James Bond film, I'd love to see him helm a Bond film with Michael Giacchino doing a Barry inspired soundtrack. 8->
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Never thought of Fukunaga, he would be an incredible choice. On a side note, you've no idea how heartbroken I am over the fact that his version of 'IT' won't see the light of day. I can only hope the one they start filming next summer is remotely good.
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    Neil Blomkamp.

His direction is stylish and visceral, he's the 'new Ridley Scott', arguably. He understands character-driven action.
    Ken Loach?
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    For me the next Bond director has to be Cary Fukunaga. He may be young and American, but the guy is very cineliterate and clearly has an understanding of iconic British characters (see his great adaption of Jane Eyre). Furthermore, he can do tense and atmosphere pictures, plus he has a total flair for action (we all remember that breathtaking tracking shot for True Detective). And by all accounts he's knocked it out of the park with Beasts of No Nation.

So if Mendes has really stepped aside (which I sorta doubt), Fukunaga seems like the perfect heir to the throne. Furthermore, he has stated he wants to direct a Bond film! I think if Craig is out, EON have to get Fukunaga and Idris Elba for the next Bond film.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/beasts-of-no-nation-director-cary-fukunaga-wants-to-direct-a-james-bond-film-starring-idris-elba-a6696451.html

beasts-of-no-nation-variety-cary-fukunaga-idris-elba-variety.jpg?w=670&h=377&crop=1

Other great possibilities:

Morten Tyldrum
    Duncan Jones
    John Hillcoat
    Ben Wheatley
    Lynne Ramsay

I was agreeing with your post, but then your ruined it by suggesting Elba as Bond. Lets not go down that road again with an Elba debate. he won't be James Bond, he is too old and will be even older if Dan does another. There are far more talented African American and African heritage Brits who could do Bond better than Elba Chiwetel Ejiofor, David Oyelowo, Charles Venn and Colin Salmon just to name a few. Plus with all the hype over the Elba thing, It was spun in to a race issue by the press. Sadly to even consider a Black actor as Bond now would just smell of positive discrimination, Elba himself has told people he wouldn't want the role now because he wouldn't be judged on his Bond but on his colour. I get that. So can we please put the Elba thing to bed, it's just not going to happen.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    LeChiffre wrote: »
    Ken Loach?

I don't think Bond's taste for the finer things in life will match very good with the social realism of Ken Loach.

• Brad Bird is not a bad idea, but I would prefer brian de palma he did a great job in Mission Impossible 1.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    For me the next Bond director has to be Cary Fukunaga. He may be young and American, but the guy is very cineliterate and clearly has an understanding of iconic British characters (see his great adaption of Jane Eyre). Furthermore, he can do tense and atmosphere pictures, plus he has a total flair for action (we all remember that breathtaking tracking shot for True Detective). And by all accounts he's knocked it out of the park with Beasts of No Nation.

He can direct Elba in Shaft 2. But no to Bond.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Alfonso Cuaron!
  • Lol so not only does he demand Elba be Bond, he wants to have a little African boy in the film too? Doing what exactly? Real elephant, 100 baht?
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    If there already go for American directer, mabey there should go for John Wells http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0920274/ and movie wil written by him self and Steven Knight (English).

Burnt (2015) directed by Wells, Cinematopgraphy by Adriano Goldman and written by Steven Knight. There is very Tomorrow Never Dies releated footage in this trailer with Alicia Vikander.

Company Men (2010) Cinematography by Roger Deankins.

Company1.jpg
    Wells with Roger Deankins.
    @AceHole, I'd be pretty upset if Blomkamp was hired. The man only has a few sci-fi movies under his belt, most of which are quite mediocre. I wouldn't trust him helming a large scale spy action movie.
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    Would anyone like to see Ron Howard take a Bond movie on?

Apologies if he's already been mentioned.
    @Shark_0f_Largo, personally, I wouldn't. The usage of CGI and his action scenes leave a lot to be desired (from what I've seen of his work). My mind is solely set on getting Villeneuve and Deakins teamed up for 'Bond 25.' Let them wrap up 'Blade Runner 2' and move straight on to 'Bond 25' if they have the energy, and I'll be a very happy man!
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Would anyone like to see Ron Howard take a Bond movie on?

Apologies if he's already been mentioned.
    Absolutely 100%. Angels and Demons is one of my all time favs. It just moves with abolutely incredible pace from start to finish. Brilliantly casted, and superbly filmed. I just can't get enough of that film.
    dinovelvet wrote: »
    Lol so not only does he demand Elba be Bond, he wants to have a little African boy in the film too? Doing what exactly? Real elephant, 100 baht?

Ha ha. He sounds like a tosser. No.
    edited November 2015 Posts: 16,330
    Ron Howard would be an inspired choice. I loved Angels and Demons as well as the Da Vinci Code.
    I'm not adverse to that suggestion.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    suavejmf wrote: »
    dinovelvet wrote: »
    Lol so not only does he demand Elba be Bond, he wants to have a little African boy in the film too? Doing what exactly? Real elephant, 100 baht?

Ha ha. He sounds like a tosser. No.

Yes I think no. Too many other better choices.
  • Eh...Ron Howard is as middle of the road as it gets. Great for the Brosnan era. But we can do much better these days.