No Time to Die on Blu-ray

Comments

• MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    I miss the good old days where you have to wait at least 6 months for the DVD release. Sigh.
  • sunsanvilsunsanvil Somewhere in Canada....somewhere.
    edited November 2015 Posts: 260
    Geez that feels.....too soon. That really deflates the cinema run (hardcore fans, ie everyone here, notwithstanding).

I remember when it would take at least a year, often longer, for the home video to come out, and many times there would be a hold back on sell-through, as long as a year, in order to give rental a chance to make a few bucks first.
    That's just the way the industry works now. I seem to remember Skyfall releasing in Feb 2013 as well, I think.
    True, but it is my contention that the way it works now is short sighted as best. They are only cannibalizing their own income by not allowing a cinema engagement to run its full course like they used to.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @km16 is correct. Most of the time, movies have a three to four month turnaround from cinema debut to home video debut.
    Mallory wrote: »
    I miss the good old days where you have to wait at least 6 months for the DVD release. Sigh.

What about the not so good old days of the 80s where you had to wait TWO YEARS for the latest Bond to come out on video and five years onto TV!
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Does anybody know the split between cinema take and dvd/blu take (gross and net)? It would be interesting to see which is more profitable and whether the gap has been closing or increasing. That may explain the faster releases these days.
    Cowley wrote: »
    Mallory wrote: »

What about the not so good old days of the 80s where you had to wait TWO YEARS for the latest Bond to come out on video and five years onto TV!

It made you enjoy the cinema moore!!

Whilst the release date seems a tad early I suppose it's to negate the impact Star Wars will have when it takes over all the cinema screens.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Does anybody know the split between cinema take and dvd/blu take (gross and net)? It would be interesting to see which is more profitable and whether the gap has been closing or increasing. That may explain the faster releases these days.

Credible numbers are always hard to find, but my data shows the theatrical run is, across the board, still more revenue generating than home video.

Skyfall: $304M+ Cinema, $99M Home Video

Granted, these are US market only (as those are the only decent numbers I could readily put my hands on this morning) and we don't know the relative profit margin for the studio of one over the other. We do know that typically 40-60% of tickets sales go back to the studio (and exceptionally as much as 90%, as was the case with Phantom Menace). Given the hype I'd guess that Skyfall was able to command on the higher side of that. I doubt Home Video can boast any better margin which makes the disparity even greater.
    4-6 months after cinema release seems pretty standard these days. I'm not complaining, I can't wait to get Spectre on Blu-Ray. However, if it were a year to 2 years to home video release I would probably go to the cinema for a second viewing. As it is I'm content to wait for the Blu-Ray.
    sunsanvil wrote: »
    Geez that feels.....too soon. That really deflates the cinema run (hardcore fans, ie everyone here, notwithstanding).

I remember when it would take at least a year, often longer, for the home video to come out, and many times there would be a hold back on sell-through, as long as a year, in order to give rental a chance to make a few bucks first.

But who rents these days? The days of Blockbuster etc. are gone.
    tigers99 wrote: »
    But who rents these days?

umm...everybody I know. Ever heard of iTunes?

But who rents these days?

umm...everybody I know. Ever heard of iTunes?

No :)
    "Shocking....positively shocking". :)
    Sorry I like physical media - better quality :) Quentin Tarantino and Michael Caine agree with me :)
    Sorry I like physical media - better quality :)

So do I. I just submitted a manuscript for an essay on the subject. But we are fans and collectors ($7B in DVD+Blu-ray sales in the US alone last year), but we arnt the only ones watching movies at home.

So do I. I just submitted a manuscript for an essay on the subject. But we are fans and collectors ($7B in DVD+Blu-ray sales in the US alone last year), but we arnt the only ones watching movies at home.

I would love to read that! Yeah I forget that people watch movies in other ways at home :) I don't understand people who think there's little difference between Blu-Ray and DVD.
    I don't understand people who think there's little difference between Blu-Ray and DVD.

In my experience they are the ones still clinging to a 27" Trinitron tube, or one of the (horrible) early, small, sub-HD flat panels....grossly misaligned...and they sit a mile away from it. :)

Indeed the numbers show that for a given title DVD sales are still for the most part on par with the Blu-Ray counterpart (sometimes exceeding it). Clearly we connoisseurs remain a minority.
    I much prefer the Bluray copy as to any streaming source. There's a hidden cost in the (Amazon, Vudu, Itunes, etc.) streaming options. That is the bandwidth it takes to stream the movie. For the most part, it is difficult for most devices to store a 1080p file for repeat plays without repeat downloads. Some devices don't really have any extra storage at all (Roku, etc.)

I still use a PC with over 5TBs of storage so I can store the files if needed. My internet plan for example, only includes 250GB of data per month. Factor in a few HD movies, tv shows, youtube, netflix, game downloads(25-60GB for new releases), and system updates, and you have a real problem. You run out of data with these ridiculous data caps providers slam you with.

I'm glad they provide the VUDU digital copy with most of the new blurays purchased, but honestly it's of very little use to me right now. Maybe in the future when the scam of data caps has run its course I will be able to stream everything. For now, I will continue to rip my blurays that I purchase and watch the movies that way.
  • DesmondBoothroydDesmondBoothroyd New England, USA
    Very much looking forward to the Blu-Ray Spectre release...I have the perfect set of accessories for enjoying it at home.
    1.) Sony 4K UHD TV
    2.) Thundering sound system
    and most importantly,
    3.) Remote control with a Mute button for the title sequence.
    The popcorn will be ready...
    @DesmondBoothroyd That is awesome man! I want 4k badly, but I think I'm going to spend my money next year on Oculus VR and Steam VR. It's 1080p, but your basically inside your environments. It also makes you feel like you are in a movie theater watching your show.
    I held off until they came down to a reasonable price point (meanwhile keeping spare projector bulbs on hand for my 11 year old Panasonic rear projection set), and finally brought it home this past May. The picture quality is great, with all the sources I've fed it thus far, including my set of Connery era Blu-Rays.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    I still need to see it in the darn cinema but I'm finally going to get a chance this weekend!
    @DesmondBoothroyd I will jump on an upgrade as soon as their is readily available hardcopy 4k material available to purchase. There's just no way at all I could even begin to stream any 4k content. It's just too much bandwidth right now for my data caps. I think all of this will change though within the next 3-5 years. It will become easier to stream and buy 4k stuff. I can't wait!
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    For the average Joe streaming in 4k won't be possible for a decade at least.
    As much as I'd love to see a promotion in the spring for a 4K Blu Ray player, bundled with Spectre on 4K Blu Ray, I sadly don't see it happening. Panasonic is releasing a 4K player in Japan this year, but the price point is north of 3K (US$) at launch.

To quote Sean, behind the wheel of the DB5...."Patience 007, patience..."

There is some streaming content available from Amazon, Netflix, and You Tube currently, and Amazon has been releasing more of late.

Considering how good image quality is on a 4K set with 1080i source material, such as the remastered Connery discs, I'm eagerly anticipating Spectre's release in the spring, and hope it does bring a variety of special features (Making of, etc.) with the feature.
  • @DesmondBoothroyd.."DIscipline 007..Discipline"
  • edited December 2015 Posts: 3,164
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Wow, that feels close! I can't wait to watch it in Blu-ray quality and listen to Mendes' commentary.