SPECTRE--last Craig-era film?

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Thank you @DarthDimi!

I realize this is not ideal, and will be more vigilant in looking out for duplicate threads and letting mods know if I catch any before they build up too many comments/history - so that they can either be combined or closed sooner.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Thanks, @bondjames. ;-)

But let's talk Bond now. :) A question I've been meaning to drop here is, should the last "Craig era" Bond film necessarily also be the last Craig Bond film, if you catch my drift. CR, QOS, SF and SP have all more or less been playing in the exact same world, which is the total opposite of the more fantasy driven Bonds of old. I'm merely wondering if a fifth Craig Bond could step outside the somewhat moody world of his first four and enter the realm of a slightly more easy going, stand-alone Bond film in the spirit of say TSWLM or TB. :)
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Thanks, @bondjames. ;-)

But let's talk Bond now. :) A question I've been meaning to drop here is, should the last "Craig era" Bond film necessarily also be the last Craig Bond film, if you catch my drift. CR, QOS, SF and SP have all more or less been playing in the exact same world, which is the total opposite of the more fantasy driven Bonds of old. I'm merely wondering if a fifth Craig Bond could step outside the somewhat moody world of his first four and enter the realm of a slightly more easy going, stand-alone Bond film in the spirit of say TSWLM or TB. :)

That is a good question. I will be watching it later today and will let you know my thoughts then.

What's interesting to read though (when wading through all these spoiler free reviews and critic reviews) is that most seem to say that SP already takes us there. That SP is in fact the 'slightly more easy going' Bond film, although with a convenient retcon and plot linkages that were alluded to in the trailer. That it is actually a fantasy Bond.

So I'm curious to see whether I feel that way, or whether I too think it sits in the CR/QoS/SF realism (an oxymoron as far as Bonds go I know) world.

To answer the question theoretically, I think all Bonds should sign off with a larger than life one. That way, a new guy can come in with a more 'realistic' tone and showcase his acting credentials/establish himself.

In a way, signing off with a larger than life fantastical Bond film paves the way for a successor to be accepted.....going from realistic to fantastical makes sense.....I think only Moore got to do it twice (semi-rebooting with 'realistic' FYEO).

I'll know what I think for sure later today.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    Thanks, @bondjames. ;-)

For me, not now, so many unanswered questions from Spectre and there has to be more to the story.

Skyfall appeared to be that different film but with SPECTRE we know it was now connected.
    @DarthDimi - I take it combining threads cannot really be done, then? (To preserve the discussion in both but to avoid similar conversations going on.)
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 582
    bondjames wrote: »
    Thanks, @bondjames. ;-)

That is a good question. I will be watching it later today and will let you know my thoughts then.

What's interesting to read though (when wading through all these spoiler free reviews and critic reviews) is that most seem to say that SP already takes us there. That SP is in fact the 'slightly more easy going' Bond film, although with a convenient retcon and plot linkages that were alluded to in the trailer. That it is actually a fantasy Bond.

So I'm curious to see whether I feel that way, or whether I too think it sits in the CR/QoS/SF realism (an oxymoron as far as Bonds go I know) world.

To answer the question theoretically, I think all Bonds should sign off with a larger than life one. That way, a new guy can come in with a more 'realistic' tone and showcase his acting credentials/establish himself.

In a way, signing off with a larger than life fantastical Bond film paves the way for a successor to be accepted.....going from realistic to fantastical makes sense.....I think only Moore got to do it twice (semi-rebooting with 'realistic' FYEO).

I'll know what I think for sure later today.

The Bond films tend to sway with the going mood of the cinematic landscape. Whereas they perhaps led that landscape in the 1960s, arguably since they've followed on with the general mood created by popular cinema. Hence DC's serious gritty Bond came in a post 9/11 era which gave us the Bourne films and darker Nolan Batman trilogy.

I was quite struck by M:I -Rogue Nation this summer and it's lighter tone to DC's Bonds. Not that Ghost Protocol wasn't. I definitely prefer my Bond dark and gritty, but was actually struck by how refreshing the lighter tone of Rogue Nation felt to me. It made me want the more fantastical, lighter Bond, which maybe was why I enjoyed Spectre so much. So maybe this is the direction the series will take in the near future? Possibly even into the next Bond actor's era.
  • Aziz_FekkeshAziz_Fekkesh Royale-les-Eaux
    My main concern is whether or not Craig's enthusiasm for the character will be dampened or not considering the mixed critical reception of SP in the US. I hope he stays on for at least one more, ideally two.
    If the change for the next movie will be one with an actual mission instead of rogueing Craig, I am all in favor for a new 007.
  • I certainly hope not, I feel like he's finally found the right groove and it would be a shame to deprive us of at least 1 more movie with him as the SP version of Bond. The only thing that concerns me, is whether they will try to go a different route with all the mixed opinions going around about spectre, his performance in Spectre was perfect so I hope not.
  • Aziz_FekkeshAziz_Fekkesh Royale-les-Eaux
    I certainly hope not, I feel like he's finally found the right groove and it would be a shame to deprive us of at least 1 more movie with him as the SP version of Bond. The only thing that concerns me, is whether they will try to go a different route with all the mixed opinions going around about spectre, his performance in Spectre was perfect so I hope not.

Some critics unfairly claimed Craig was bored and look done with the series which almost everyone here agree is BS. I don't want this to translate to an actually bored, YOLT/DAF-type performance to give the haters fuel for their fire.

Some critics unfairly claimed Craig was bored and look done with the series which almost everyone here agree is BS. I don't want this to translate to an actually bored, YOLT/DAF-type performance to give the haters fuel for their fire.

Too many people have latched onto the Sony leaks and 'script problems' and Craig's slit wrists comments and convinced themselves that it's all up there in the finished product on screen.
  • SkyfallCraigSkyfallCraig Rome, Italy
    Question should be Where do we go after Craig?
    He has some great films (CR was voted the Number 1 Bond film during the 2012 worldwide survey)
    Do they do another reboot, reset? Get a younger Bond (most definitely) someone in his late thirties and pick up with M, Q, Moneypenny where SP left off?
    Thoughts?
    That's the challenge they have, right? They will cast the best person they can, a real actor like Craig and probably have some fun globetrotting adventures lined up for the guy.
    edited November 2015 Posts: 23,883
    The most important thing they have to do is get the right actor. If they get a lightweight, the entire franchise could deteriorate. If they get someone with real gravitas and acting chops, then they have options as to direction, tone, and approach.

I'd say soft reboot it (like GE) with an entire new MI6 team (and make sure they are just good actors and not famous ones.....we don't need any more limelight hoggers).
    Birdleson wrote: »
    You need that one link to the past. Could be Waltz's Blofeld.

New M, new Q, new Moneypenny...I rather like the threesome but ..... maybe just keep Waltz's Blofeld as the link.

I like how you think.

Birdleson wrote: »
    There has never been a gap since 1962, you need a linking character/actor combo.
    Good point. I never realized that before.
    I think Craig will do one more.
    Cowley wrote: »

Too many people have latched onto the Sony leaks and 'script problems' and Craig's slit wrists comments and convinced themselves that it's all up there in the finished product on screen.

I always thought many press types would exploit the leaks to ding the film. A Bond has to be a killer to produce, and the leaks probably made SP 50% harder. Sony is probably the worst managed major, and I'll be stunned if EON and MGM reup with them. They deserve to lose Bond. I think Mendes and Logan have done their thing, and it's time to get a fresh take with another director. Craig should call his buddy Spielberg and get him to direct Craig's last Bond. the buzz would be huge.

• Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited November 2015 Posts: 8,127
    Actually SP is my favourite DC performance so far. Before he was playing the role, in SP he OWNS the role. I didn't think DC could pull off the full blown Bond, hyper alpha performance. SP is Craig at his most charismatic.
    Actually SP is my favourite DC performance so far. Before he was playing the role, in SP he OWNS the role. I didn't think DC could pull off the full blown Bond, hyper alpha performance. SP is Craig at his most charismatic.

You may be right. He's clearly enjoying himself in the role more than ever.
    OHMSS69 wrote: »
    Question should be Where do we go after Craig?
    He has some great films (CR was voted the Number 1 Bond film during the 2012 worldwide survey)
    Do they do another reboot, reset? Get a younger Bond (most definitely) someone in his late thirties and pick up with M, Q, Moneypenny where SP left off?
    Thoughts?

This is the big question for me - after Brosnan it was clear that a new direction was needed, same after Moore in AVTAK. DC's Bond hasn't in my opinion reached a nadir which would result in a change of direction. However my prediction is that they will take a more humourous direction after Craig.
    I think there was quite a lot of humour in SP. I can't see it going much further in that direction.

• Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Believe me, EON have not even considered replacing Craig. He is loved around the world in the role, for many the ultimate 007. It would be far far riskier to recast him. SPECTRE is playing like an average Bond film does in NA and crushing it overseas. Especially China, where it could possibly double the total gross of Skyfall. EON are more than content with Craig for now.

The only thing that could prevent Craig returning is Craig himself. SPECTRE was a hard shoot for him, and he has subtly signalled in the press that the demanding nature of the role may be becoming too much for him to take on as he gets older.

All that said, I think we can confidently expect him to return for a fifth film. My guess is he won't do any more film roles now for the next few years and ready himself for the B25, coming 2018.
    Getafix wrote: »
    I think there was quite a lot of humour in SP. I can't see it going much further in that direction.
    I certainly hope not actually. The SP humour was ok, but I much preferred the more pointed sarcasm in SF and the subtle humour of CR. I think that more suits Craig's portrayal and I think it's more authentic.
    I don't think the DC Bonds will get more humourous, but what direction will they take when the next Bond takes overs - I firmly believe that DC will be doing Bond 25.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Getafix wrote: »
    I certainly hope not actually. The SP humour was ok, but I much preferred the more pointed sarcasm in SF and the subtle humour of CR. I think that more suits Craig's portrayal and I think it's more authentic.

I found the humour in SF very weak. SP was a step up IMO. Not great but certainly a lot better. I agree though that some of the understated humour in CR (and QoS) was excellent.
    He will do one more i firmly believe.
    I agree
    He's contracted for another one so I think its a safe bet.