SPECTRE Opening Titles Sequence

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I'm sure I've said it at some point, but while I loved the SF title song and didn't care for the title sequence at all, I was completely satisfied with both WOTW (totally worth hearing it for the first time attached to the movie, too. Glad I waited.) and the title sequence. I loved the usage of the octopus throughout.
    It was just wonderful. Outstanding.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    I'm still in awe of that best ever title sequence and can't decide what's the best part.
    Needless to say Kleinman is a genius.
  • TreefingersTreefingers Isthmus City, Republic of Isthmus
    Interesting how Michael and Barbara have p.g.a. attached to their names now, did they just join the guild or is it a new law or something? first time I see that in a movie.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Simply stunning titles.
  • Three parts of the main titles stood out to me (in order):
    1. Sequence near the end where it's Bond aiming the gun, then a tentacle wraps around the gun and its transitions to TWINE-esq girls posing with ink flowing off of them
    2. Tentacles wrapping around 007 (little bit of OP evoked)
    3. OHMSS-esq images of past Craig-era characters
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    Was it just me or did they add echo to Sam Smith's voice that made it sound cool?
    Was it just me or did they add echo to Sam Smith's voice that made it sound cool?

Yes it sounded different to me, as well. Some of the timing on how he held his notes felt different, too.

That happens to all pop music when played through a DTS True HD sound mix.

Quite frankly, WOTW has now become my favourite Bond theme right after AVTAK.
    It is overwhelming to hear that in the movie theatre combined with those stunning visuals!
    The sequence is one of the best in a long while!
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    Loved the titles for SP.
    Hey, that's my favourite part of these stunning titles too. The tentacle wrapping around the gun. Creepy and cool! And yeh, as I already stated, I didn't like Craigs shirtless appearance. This is James Bond..not Doc Savage!
    I loved it. Daniel Klieman once again doing what he does best.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO

It is overwhelming to hear that in the movie theatre combined with those stunning visuals!

So will the Blu Ray have the echo then or no?

So will the Blu Ray have the echo then or no?

The Blu-ray's True DTS HD will sounds exactly the same as in the cinema, yes.
  • zerozerozerozero The far far east
    There was a gorgeous harp segue into the song, which placed it right in the world of James Bond and, as on so many previous films, yep, they beefed up the arrangement and shortened the song by about 45%.
    Sam Smith has a lot to answer for: it was hearing the song when first released that helped me guess the plot (in part).
  • Three parts of the main titles stood out to me (in order):
    1. Sequence near the end where it's Bond aiming the gun, then a tentacle wraps around the gun and its transitions to TWINE-esq girls posing with ink flowing off of them
    2. Tentacles wrapping around 007 (little bit of OP evoked)
    3. OHMSS-esq images of past Craig-era characters

I'm trying to count the previous Bond references apart from DC's previous films in the TS and glad you've spotted some. Here's my unrepeated two:
    1. Oberhauser's eyes open in the skull of octopus - LALD

2. A blink of an eye towards the end - GE

hope to spot out some more.
  • zerozerozerozero The far far east
    edited November 2015 Posts: 58
    The thump of a slackened bass drum as the words "the dead"... "are alive" appear onscreen reminded me of the opening beats of "Just a Closer Walk with Thee" from the PTS of LALD. In fact I almost expected to hear the trumpets pipe up and start playing it.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I'm sure I've said it at some point, but while I loved the SF title song and didn't care for the title sequence at all, I was completely satisfied with both WOTW (totally worth hearing it for the first time attached to the movie, too. Glad I waited.) and the title sequence. I loved the usage of the octopus throughout.

Wow, you managed to wait over a month without hearing WOtW? I'm most impressed. Ideally that's what I want to do, but modern life etc.

• sunsanvilsunsanvil Somewhere in Canada....somewhere.
    edited November 2015 Posts: 260

Simply not true.

Everything you hear, which may or may not include echo in pop music, is an intentional artistic choice done in the mix and NOT something which is inherent to a DTS True HD sound mix (or any other cinema sound format). The sound system doesn't know the difference between pop music, dialogue, or a ray-run and thus does not selectively impose an echo on Sam Smith's voice.

And while we're at it the cinema environment is not a factor either, by design. Even a mediocre contemporary cinema has a relatively dead acoustical signature (walls are lined with fabric over one sort of absorptive panel or another) such that all you hear is the content which the sound artist put in the mix.

Now, if you are saying that pop music in movies tends to be mixed in such a way that it is spread out and has more ambiance compared to the CD mix, I would agree with that, but again clarify that that is a choice made at the mixing console and not something endemic to a surround sound format.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    zerozero wrote: »
    The thump of a slackened bass drum as the words "the dead"... "are alive" appear onscreen reminded me of the opening beats of "Just a Closer Walk with Thee" from the PTS of LALD. In fact I almost expected to hear the trumpets pipe up and start playing it.

I liked that opening. It was inspired.
  • sunsanvilsunsanvil Somewhere in Canada....somewhere.
    edited November 2015 Posts: 260
    The song has quickly become one of my favorite Bond tunes and while I'll need to wait for the Blu-ray (or head back to the cinema a couple time) before I can really judge it, I was trilled to see a return to.....umm.... "traditional" Bond titles sensibilities if you get my meaning.
    royale65 wrote: »

Wow, you managed to wait over a month without hearing WOtW? I'm most impressed. Ideally that's what I want to do, but modern life etc.

Somehow, I managed to avoid it! I didn't hear a second of it until I heard it attached to the film. Totally worth the wait, too.
    sunsanvil wrote: »

Simply not true.

Everything you hear, which may or may not include echo in pop music, is an intentional artistic choice done in the mix and NOT something which is inherent to a DTS True HD sound mix (or any other cinema sound format). The sound system doesn't know the difference between pop music, dialogue, or a ray-run and thus does not selectively impose an echo on Sam Smith's voice.

And while we're at it the cinema environment is not a factor either, by design. Even a mediocre contemporary cinema has a relatively dead acoustical signature (walls are lined with fabric over one sort of absorptive panel or another) such that all you hear is the content which the sound artist put in the mix.

Now, if you are saying that pop music in movies tends to be mixed in such a way that it is spread out and has more ambiance compared to the CD mix, I would agree with that, but again clarify that that is a choice made at the mixing console and not something endemic to a surround sound format.

Well I put it in very simple words.
    You explained it very well.

But I have to disagree on one thing.

I own a quite elaborate HiFi home sound system with 7.1 speakers.
    If I play a cd in the surround modus or cinema modus the voice of a singer appears to have a stronger echo as when played in normal music stereo modus, especially with slower orchestral music like WOTW is.

But you are right of course that the mix in the True DTS track of the music is on purpose and an artistic decision.
    'Spectre' as of end of Monday, has become the highest grossing film in the UK 2015....managing to surpass even those mighty dinosaurs in Jurassic World.
    If only the rest of the world could keep up with the UK! ;)
    royale65 wrote: »

Somehow, I managed to avoid it! I didn't hear a second of it until I heard it attached to the film. Totally worth the wait, too.
    ...hmm.. now I might want to do this for B25....but then again I am impatient so I'd probably end up listening to the song before the movie :P
    @dragonsky, trust me, the wait pays off. I did the same for SF, it was an amazing idea hearing it as its attached to the title sequence for the first viewing ever.
  • I know this should technically be in the Skyfall opening titles thread, but check out this re-do of Skyfall's title sequence.

Really love 1:17-1:40

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Lovely!
    I know this should technically be in the Skyfall opening titles thread, but check out this re-do of Skyfall's title sequence.

Really love 1:17-1:40

HOLY word I can't say on this forum for some reason! THAT'S GREAT!

I just want to know how the hell did this person made this and how long did this take to make..

I said in this thread for SPECTRE's title sequence that I am not a big fan of actual people in the title sequence, so for that I honestly have to say that I prefer the original..but this was really well..the part you mentioned at 1:17-1:40 was amazingly done! It would have been great if Bond turned at the end with pointed gun. Still amazing though.

I think that the demolition of the lodge kinda spoils too much, but the Asia/Computer references in it were amazing. Who made this ?