SPECTRE: It grossed $880 Million Worldwide (..and 2015 was the biggest box office year so far)

Comments

Spectre is going to do fine!
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    This idiotic talk of it flopping and of how the sky is falling is pure lunacy. Was you only live twice a flop because it didn't make as much as Thunderball?

As usual you hit the nail on the head. Spot-on!

People should get a grip, ease up, relax and/or take their meds.

SPECTRE WILL BE THE SECOND MOST SUCCESSFUL BOND MOVIE BOX OFFICE WISE AND TICKET SALES WISE
  • Yes Spectre is doing absolutely fine. We live on planet Earth, not planet America, and Bond is a global success, everyone involved will make money at the end of the day, and Bond 25 will be made.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    dinovelvet wrote: »
    Yes Spectre is doing absolutely fine. We live on planet Earth, not planet America, and Bond is a global success, everyone involved will make money at the end of the day, and Bond 25 will be made.

No doubt. Bond is definitely doing great, and will be back better than ever.

I am personally relieved that we can now put this 'besting SF' nonsense behind us. The bubble has been pricked, and now they (EON/MGM/new studio/DC) can get to work on giving us a superb film for B25 without having to worry about beating SF or SP.
  • bondjames wrote: »
    Some backtracking from our friend at Forbes, Mr. Mendelson (he of the worst Bond in 30 yrs fame):

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2015/11/09/spectre-box-office-007-reasons-why-the-gossip-failed-to-hurt-the-film/

This Mendelson-a-hole is part of that very SonyLeaks gossip.
    dinovelvet wrote: »
    Yes Spectre is doing absolutely fine. We live on planet Earth, not planet America, and Bond is a global success, everyone involved will make money at the end of the day, and Bond 25 will be made.

No doubt. Bond is definitely doing great, and will be back better than ever.

I am personally relieved that we can now put this 'besting SF' nonsense behind us. The bubble has been pricked, and now they (EON/MGM/new studio/DC) can get to work on giving us a superb film for B25 without having to worry about beating SF or SP.

It's no nonsense at all dammit :| . I firmly believe that the past week's reviews in the USA:
    http://pro.boxoffice.com/latest-news/2015-11-09-north-america-weekend-actuals-spectre-leads-with-704m-launch-the-peanuts-movie-impresses-in-second-with-442m-the-martian-holds-well-with-91m
    "Mixed critical reviews, especially from critics in North America, also appear to have taken a toll on the film's potential."

It was never nonsense. Never. Never. Actually, you were part of that 'besting SF nonsense' by predicting an opening weekend of on and above $100 Million. And frankly, I really think it was entirely possible.

I do think though that, especially for Bond films, those RottenTomatoes ratings can 'make or break' the box office potential.

$70 Million opening weekend, with inflation correction applied, is even weaker than "Quantum Of Solace". On top of that.......I could see "SPECTRE" having more or less the same domestic box office gross as "Rogue Nation".
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    I'm glad we can get out of that top SF mentality.

And yes as long as Bond is popular and returns I'm happy.
    edited November 2015 Posts: 23,883
    Yes @Gustav_Graves, I called it wrong. I admit it. I thought it would do much better than it did.

However, I'm not blaming the reviews. Having seen the film once, it is not sitting with me as well as SF did. I didn't come out of there blown away. There are some great scenes, and it's fantastic in parts, but as a sum of parts, I think SF has far more resonance, with me, and with some others (if not all). Many of the criticisms in the reviews are things I too have felt, although I'm not as critical of it, being a Bond fan.

When I say 'besting SF nonsense' I mean we have been overly focused on that, as have the media. It's irrelevant. SF was a phenomenon. They don't come along all the time.

Now that it won't happen (at least not everywhere) the pressure is off EON/MGM/Craig and they can go back to doing what they do best, which is to give us a great 'better than expected' thriller next time around. That's what I hope for, and I'm sure they will deliver.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Yes @Gustav_Graves, I called it wrong. I admit it. I thought it would do much better than it did.

However, I'm not blaming the reviews. Having seen the film once, it is not sitting with me as well as SF did. I didn't come out of there blown away. There are some great scenes, and it's fantastic in parts, but as a sum of parts, I think SF had more resonance.

When I say 'besting SF nonsense' I mean we have been overly focused on that, as have the media. It's irrelevant. SF was a phenomenon. They don't come along all the time.

Now that it won't happen (at least not everywhere) the pressure is off EON/MGM/Craig and they can go back to doing what they do best, which is to give us a great 'better than expected' thriller next time around. That's what I hope for, and I'm sure they will deliver.

True but on personal note I really wanted SP to succeed in North America.

mcdonbb wrote: »

However, I'm not blaming the reviews. Having seen the film once, it is not sitting with me as well as SF did. I didn't come out of there blown away. There are some great scenes, and it's fantastic in parts, but as a sum of parts, I think SF had more resonance.

True but on personal note I really wanted SP to succeed in North America.

It is succeeding. It's going to be massive. In a massive year.

It won't be top 5 probably but it will be top 10 and it will likely best MI-RN to be the top spy earner of 2015 in the US and globally.

It all depends on how the media spins it. I think it's a success. I just think we all (myself included) had too high expectations and didn't realize that SF was a one-off.

However, I'm not blaming the reviews. Having seen the film once, it is not sitting with me as well as SF did. I didn't come out of there blown away. There are some great scenes, and it's fantastic in parts, but as a sum of parts, I think SF has far more resonance, with me, and with some others (if not all). Many of the criticisms in the reviews are things I too have felt, although I'm not as critical of it, being a Bond fan.

The reason SF resonated so well, was RT. The reason SP didn't resonate so well was RT either. I'm very sorry, but I think you underestimate a pivotal thing here: The SonyLeaks....and all the shit that followed. From Idris Elba, to Craig's bloody wrists, and from a 'bad screenplay' late 2014 until the biggest disagreement ever on reviews between both sides of the continent. It's really a 'George Lazenby 2.0' situation as I see it. This is what hurted the film.

You know, perhaps I was completely wrong with my predictions for the US, but at least $90 Million should have been possible.

Regarding SP 'not resonating'? I will post my review tomorrow. I'm sory @BondJames, but sometimes I think you're just going 'wherever the wind blows'. It does make you sound very....eh....objective really. But most of it is in hindsight...

I think everyone was wrong with a $70 Million opening weekend, Even boxoffice.com. It's a figure that is IMO way way more disappointed than the logical $68 Million opening weekend for "QOS".
    I expected more from SP. It's a decent enough film, but I rank it about 10 in my list (posted on another thread just after I saw it). I'll see if it can move up that list tomorrow. I certainly don't hate it, but I was not blown away by it. Entertaining enough, but that's it. As far as I'm concerned anyway... I felt the same way about QoS as well. Decent enough, but that's about it. Not amazing.

The SonyLeaks were 12 months ago. I don't think we can keep blaming that. There are many other factors at play here, including spy fatigue, a plot that's a little too close to MI-RN, and some bad press. Spy films have underperformed and China is not delivering like predicted for spy films either.

I'm afraid my opinions are my opinions @Gustav_Graves. Sorry to disappoint you, but as I've told you before, don't take things personally, and respect other's opinions please.
    I expected more from SP. It's a decent enough film, but I rank it about 10 in my list (posted on another thread). I'll see if it can move up that list tomorrow. I certainly don't hate it, but I was not blow away by it. Entertaining enough, but that's it. As far as I'm concerned anyway.

The SonyLeaks were 12 months ago. I don't think we can keep blaming that. There are many other factors at play here, including spy fatigue, a plot that's a little too close to MI-RN, and some bad press.

I'm afraid my opinions are my opinions @Gustav_Graves. Sorry to disappoint you, but as I've told you before, don't take things personally, and respect other's opinions please.

'Spy fatigue'? Nonsense. This whole 'Spy craze' I did start in here with an entire topic related to that. But it's just in here. There is no spy fatigue. Yes, there's a mild comic book fatigue. True, but spy fatigue? Bullocks. The plot of MI-RN in return was very close to that of SF, in case you forgot.

You tend to forget that the SonyLeaks did not just start and end in December. Until now, the narrative still is "who's going to replace Daniel Craig?". And that question has firm grounds in those SonyLeaks.

They were damaging to the box office success of SP. Especially in the States.
    Still a great deal of the audience is either loving or liking it but with caveats.

People just hated QoS so why is SP earning and scoring so less here.

We went from trying to beat SF to trying to beat or match QoS.

• Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Imagine Bond running round the streets if New York. Americans would love it.
    In Switzerland Spectre opened only in the German and Italian language region.
    In 2012 Skyfall openend in all of Switzerland (including the French language region).

Sadly, therefore ticket sales can't be compared. The percentage of viewers of Spectre compared to Skyfall was higher though, which is surprising given the fact that all of the French language region watched different movies (as Spectre wasn't available).

In any case Spectre sold over 220'000 tickets from Thursday to Sunday which for Swiss standards is insane, especially when a third of Switzerland couldn't watch it.
    It is what it is @Gustav_Graves.

What can you or I do about it now?

The film will still be a massive success, & Bond will return, better than ever. That's all I care about.

I can't wait for my 2nd viewing tomorrow and for my blu ray copy to watch it at home!

PS: Spy films have underperformed. There were some predicting $200m for MI in China alone, since it was a Chinese co-production. It made $137m. We know about Uncle, and of course now SP.

The only films that have done better than expected this year was that PoS (imho) known as FF7 (especially in China) and JW, as far as I know. Maybe 50 Shades. Even Avengers 2 didn't do as well as predicted.
  • If I REALLY have to think of a reason SP didn't connect so well with US audiences, then I think it's the sheer Britishness of the film. That's the only thing that didn't really do it for me: London. I got a bit tired of...London. It would have severely helped if SP was partially filmed in a big city in the US.
    It is what it is @Gustav_Graves.

What can you or I do about it now?

The film will still be a massive success, & Bond will return, better than ever. That's all I care about.

I can't wait for my 2nd viewing tomorrow and for my blu ray copy to watch it at home!

PS: Spy films have underperformed. There were some predicting $200m for MI in China alone, since it was a Chinese co-production. It made $137m. We know about Uncle, and of course now SP.

The only films that have done better than expected this year was that PoS (imho) known as FF7 (especially in China) and JW, as far as I know. Maybe 50 Shades. Even Avengers 2 didn't do as well as predicted.

The thing is...normal audiences don't think at all in terms of 'spy films'. That's bullocks. They think either in terms of action films, thrillers....or especially comic book adaptations. It's merely coincidence that 'spy movies' this year underperform. And even then it's such an overrated term.
    Fun fact:

Spectre has sold more tickets from last Thursday to Sunday (4 days) than Avengers Age Of Ultron in its whole run!
    And Spectre hasn't even started in the French part of Switzerland.
    You Swiss are a smart bunch @BondJasonBond006, and with good taste too!

Well, most of you (I have to look at your Bond rankings again before being certain) ;)
    Sky fall is way more 'british' than spectre.

Crap reviews stateside have hurt it. I'm sure 90% of the audience pay no heed to either Sony leaks or take literally Craig's out of context remarks.

You have critics saying it's the worst one for decades and then mediocre word of mouth then people just aren't going to turn up.

Plus I think maybe people are getting a little sick of spy's that's why eon should be doing new things not rehashing old one unimaginatively with bond.
    edited November 2015 Posts: 4,116
    If I REALLY have to think of a reason SP didn't connect so well with US audiences, then I think it's the sheer Britishness of the film. That's the only thing that didn't really do it for me: London. I got a bit tired of...London. It would have severely helped if SP was partially filmed in a big city in the US.

And I'm sorry but I disagree...it's not that at all. What is hurting SP is an undeveloped script and bad press from the leaks on...

Just for perspective, no one I know has been hugely impressed with spectre. Literally everyone says "it's alright". Shy fall had way better word of mouth within my circles.

Well, most of you (I have to look at your Bond rankings again before being certain) ;)

now I'm nervous :)) be kind...nah don't hold back ;)

1 SP 2 GE 3 OHMSS 4 CR 5 TLD 6 OP 7 FRWL 8 GF 9 LTK 10 TND

now I'm nervous :)) be kind...nah don't hold back ;)

1 SP 2 GE 3 OHMSS 4 CR 5 TLD 6 OP 7 FRWL 8 GF 9 LTK 10 TND

Oh Oh.......I guess like I said, most of you. ;)
    edited November 2015 Posts: 4,116

Now I loved SP at first then only liked it the second time out but will love SP again and forever.. I wasn't saying that.
    Skyfall had one of Bonds strongest development of character in the series IMO. Spectre had some of it but not as much as SF.

As for the reviews, I think US film critics are being a little too hard on the film, and were expecting Skyfall 2.
  • mcdonbb wrote: »
    Still a great deal of the audience is either loving or liking it but with caveats.

People just hated QoS so why is SP earning and scoring so less here.

We went from trying to beat SF to trying to beat or match QoS.

I may sound a bit harsh to you, and also to you @BondJames. Not my intention. But in a way there's a fishy OHMSS-smell to the success of SP in the states :-).

Ah well.....I can't wait until the steelbook from SP gets out :-).
  • I predict a 180 million BO in North America and 830 million Worldwide.