What are you reading?

Comments

Ah, @SaintMark, waiting for that one in paperback, really enjoyed Mr Mercedes, so looking forward to Finders Keepers.

Finders keepers is a different beastie than Mr. Mercedes being the middle episode of a trilogy will probably always be the different one before we get back on trail. That said I wonder if King is capable to write bad books, his average one are still more fun than quite a few writers could manage at the top of their skill and ability.

• Finished Trigger Mortis , now on to the new Jack Reacher.
  • MrLunnMrLunn Lunnigham
    For all you Poe fans out there, this is going to excite you.

• CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    reading 'A Kim Jung Il Production'. reads fantastically and proves, as so many times before, that the truth is stranger then fiction.

@MrLunn no idea about the designing book. Looks ok though.
    I am reading The Power-House by John Buchan. Perfect for a dreary November.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Ludovico wrote: »
    I am reading The Power-House by John Buchan. Perfect for a dreary November.

I'm reading Her Smoke Rose Up Forever by James Triptree Jr - dreary for a perfect November!
  • DariusDarius UK
    I've just finished reading The Martian by Andy Weir.

I would recommend this book to anyone that likes hard sci-fi. It's set in the near future, although the exact date is never mentioned, but I'd say about 2045 or so and it deals with one man's struggle to survive alone on the surface of Mars. It's a surprisingly humorous book told in an easily approachable style, and whilst it drags its feet a little about a third of the way through, the rest of the book keeps the pages turning until the wee smalls. My only criticism is that the narrator does tend to get bogged down with technical explanations. It's good to read the work of a writer who's done his research, but sometimes this gets pushed down your throat more than it should. This notwithstanding, this book is an excellent read.
  • I'm currently reading The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith aka J.K. Rowling's pseudonym.
    I'm currently reading the Gospel of Matthew in the Bible.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Darius wrote: »
    I've just finished reading The Martian by Andy Weir.

I would recommend this book to anyone that likes hard sci-fi. It's set in the near future, although the exact date is never mentioned, but I'd say about 2045 or so and it deals with one man's struggle to survive alone on the surface of Mars. It's a surprisingly humorous book told in an easily approachable style, and whilst it drags its feet a little about a third of the way through, the rest of the book keeps the pages turning until the wee smalls. My only criticism is that the narrator does tend to get bogged down with technical explanations. It's good to read the work of a writer who's done his research, but sometimes this gets pushed down your throat more than it should. This notwithstanding, this book is an excellent read.

Don't know if you've seen the film, but it's still out there (in the cinemas) and it's a very good film indeed!
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Just started re reading Colonel Sun.....Fleming esque.
  • Camelot/The Book Of Merlin
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 7,653
    the latest Michael Connelly - the Crossing being a story about Harry Bosch & Mickey Haller.
  • Aziz_FekkeshAziz_Fekkesh Royale-les-Eaux
    Hard Times by Dickens. It's quite excellent so far.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 617
    Just finished Emperor Fu-Manchu by Sax Rohmer...

In a remote area of China, the insidious devil doctor uses a platoon of re-animated corpses ("The Cold Men") to attack a secret Soviet germ warfare facility! (Fu works to undermine communism and the democratic West simultaneously. His organization, the Si-Fan, was the SPECTRE of its day -- first appearing in print some 40 years before Fleming ever dreamed up 007.)

Next up, a Doc Savage adventure from 1935: Murder Mirage.
    SaintMark wrote: »
    the latest Michael Connelly - the Crossing being a story about Harry Bosch & Mickey Haller.

Need to read that one. I haven't read a Connelly book in ages.
  • about to start my final Jack Reacher book (until next year's) - The Enemy by Lee Child
    also dipping in and out of the updated version of Bond On Bond
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Just started Edward II: The Unconventional King by Kathryn Warner. A new take on this troubled Plantagenet King. Don't think this'll be a quick read, but should be a satisfying one.
  • Total War Rome: Destroy Carthage by David Gibbons.
    I'm on book 5 of the Game of Thrones series. I have not seen the fifth season of the show just yet.
    I stupidly purchased a hard back copy of the book instead of waiting for them to get a paperback copy in at Half Priced Books. I could have done a Kindle as well for the same price (just under $10) so now I am logging this big assed book around. Jeez, WTF was I thinking???
    Reading the new King collection, Bazaar of Bad Dreams.
    Some great stories here, although I prefer King's full novel efforts.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Got the kindle version of " James Bond, the unauthorized biography " ( I have
    It in paperback) but haven't read it in years. Also waiting on "Some kind of hero"
    to arrive. :D
    I'm reading this forum.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I'm reading this forum.

Tell us how it ends.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I'm reading this forum.

Tell us how it ends.

The Matrix is being reprogrammed, @Thunderfinger. And you will once again take the red pill.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    I'm reading this forum.

Tell us how it ends.

The Matrix is being reprogrammed, @Thunderfinger. And you will once again take the red pill.

Always the reds. I have no need for the blues.
    Robert B. Parker's Lullaby by Ace Atkins - a Spenser story.
    "You Spenser?"asked the girl in the pink Red Sox cap.
    "The one and only"
    "People say you're tough,"she said.
    "Did they mention handsome and witty?"
    "That you aren't afraid to use a gun."
    "Only when my feelings get hurt."

Robert B. Parker is dead but Spenser most certainly is not.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    My copy of "Some kind of hero" arrived this morning , it will be my reading
    material after Christmas.
  • Just the bought some kind of hero for the kindle app.