Mendes for Bond25? he may not be done yet, would you want him?

Comments

That's not where SP left things though. It may not just be Bond and the MI6 team as the only cast to return...but the next film could be a further three years away, who knows what can happen.
    Cowley wrote: »
    That's not where SP left things though. It may not just be Bond and the MI6 team as the only cast to return...but the next film could be a further three years away, who knows what can happen in that time.

• O6GO6G
    I really dont want Sam Mendes. The CGI he uses makes parts of skyfall and spectre look like really expensive cut scenes from an xbox game. I want to see a Nolan/Hardy Bond. or a Tarantino/Fassbender Bond next.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I think they've run their course here. I'll report back once I've seen it, but hanging around another 3 yrs for these two to get back in the saddle and finish a story that may be half baked to begin with may be asking too much.

I'd rather they move on and give us something fresh and innovative next time out. Be daring. Do a CR style surprise.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Personally I'd like to see someone else take the reigns. And let's get back to the two year gap, we had to wait longer for SPECTRE because Babs and Michael wanted Mendes and he had other commitments. New blood, please.
  • Personally I'd like to see someone else take the reigns. And let's get back to the two year gap, we had to wait longer for SPECTRE because Babs and Michael wanted Mendes and he had other commitments. New blood, please.

In a recent interview (can't find the link) BB and MGW stated that these films take a long time and will probably be released every 3 years. I hope Mendes does come back for a 3rd time. Based on what I have been reading it seems like the people in the writing department need to find new jobs and that Mendes and his team have done a fantastic job with the given material.

edited November 2015 Posts: 23,883
    Based on what I have been reading it seems like the people in the writing department need to find new jobs and that Mendes and his team have done a fantastic job with the given material.
    I think people in the writing dept. should possibly be retired.....permanently. The clusterf""" that reportedly was the SP writing process really should not have happened, given the budget and importance of this film, as follow up to the successful SF. I don't know who really is to blame for that, but someone is responsible.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    After Spectre it would feel totally unnecessary to bring Mendes back to do another half-hearted continuation.
    Craig deserves a standalone mission freed of old baggage with a visionary young director that can do something innovative with Bond.
    Or of course bring Martin Campbell back, if Eastwood and Ridley Scott can produce elaborate movies every year at their age, Campbell can do it as well.

The fact Campbell never returned for QOS and then when they went on the hunt for a director for Skyfall he's wasn't an option him agreeing to come back is highly unlikely.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    After Spectre it would feel totally unnecessary to bring Mendes back to do another half-hearted continuation.
    Craig deserves a standalone mission freed of old baggage with a visionary young director that can do something innovative with Bond.
    Or of course bring Martin Campbell back, if Eastwood and Ridley Scott can produce elaborate movies every year at their age, Campbell can do it as well.

The fact Campbell never returned for QOS and then when they went on the hunt for a director for Skyfall he's wasn't an option him agreeing to come back is highly unlikely.

I believe the story was Craig persuading Mendes to direct SF.

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    edited November 2015 Posts: 9,020
    I think it can't be denied that Mendes was a good choice for Skyfall if you look at the success of it.
    With Spectre we will see. But even if Spectre makes another billion, Mendes shouldn't return. It would be a no-win situation for him in any case.
    I don't see him returning if the overall story about this film is a negative one. He wasn't all that keen to come back this time, and if the critics lay into him, he's probably going to feel he doesn't need this, and has better things to do. The problem then is Craig will most probably leave too.
    I think it can't be denied that Mendes was a good choice for Skyfall if you look at the success of it.
    With Spectre we will see. But even if Spectre makes another billion, Mendes shouldn't return. It would be a no-win situation for him in any case.

I agree .. we need a fresh take. And I agree with you @bondjames I would love a return to a true thriller but I'm sure they will pursue the Craig/Mendes team again.

The blessing in disguise is if SP does indeed underperform in North America that might encourage a change.

Personally I'd like to see someone else take the reigns. And let's get back to the two year gap, we had to wait longer for SPECTRE because Babs and Michael wanted Mendes and he had other commitments. New blood, please.

In a recent interview (can't find the link) BB and MGW stated that these films take a long time and will probably be released every 3 years. I hope Mendes does come back for a 3rd time. Based on what I have been reading it seems like the people in the writing department need to find new jobs and that Mendes and his team have done a fantastic job with the given material.

If you remember when the deal was done before Skyfall the film company stated that they wanted to get back to the release of a Bond film every two years.
    And re: the writing team, as far as I'm aware both Mendes and Craig had a say in the storyline, etc, pretty sure DC got a co-producers credit too. I think one of the factors in some of the waywardness of Bond scripts is that everyone from the director to the teaboy has input, whereas some of the earlier films tried to stay close to Fleming's material.
    Going by what you say BB and MGW stated then the next one would be in…2018. God I'll be 57 then!
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    edited November 2015 Posts: 5,131
    mepal1 wrote: »
    I like the change in directors, it keeps the Bond franchise fresh...........though picking a non-action director for QOS was a mistake.
    Personally, i'd like to see Martin Campbell back to helm another Bond film..........this guy knows how to direct action and the narrative scenes, and just has the feel, on how to make a very good Bond film!

Surely Campbell would be treading old ground too. I liked what he did with CR but it still irks me that Campbell was so insulting and uncharitable about Dalton and his films when promoting GE.

It was probably just a marketing tool for GE. However, if not, its amusing that he is insulting films that are superior to GE. CR is obviously brilliant.....BUT is most similar to the Dalton era! Campbell is in his 70's anyhow.
    I'm finding that some of the people who STILL haven't seen SP are persisting in being so negative about it and demanding Mendes go is all a little tedious and ridiculous.

Not crediting the opinion of those in the UK who have seen it and enjoyed it above the US reviews but instead dismissing them as people just consumed by fan boy hype is quite insulting.

We all have visions of what we think a Bond film should be but even if SP disappoints you in that respect it's still not a poor Bond film by any means.
    @Cowley (shouldn't you be over at CI5?) my reason for wanting new blood is the Bond films take a lot out of a director and they tend to redo stuff (Hamilton?), not say Mendes couldn't come back after doing something else just don't think he should do three-in-a-row. Let's mix it up a bit.
    @Cowley (shouldn't you be over at CI5?) my reason for wanting new blood is the Bond films take a lot out of a director and they tend to redo stuff (Hamilton?), not say Mendes couldn't come back after doing something else just don't think he should do three-in-a-row. Let's mix it up a bit.

No it's fine to want new blood (Glen was flagging by AVTAK but Dalton gave him a little boost for his final two) but I still wish some people would at least watch this one first before judging Mendes.

That said I really do get the feeling that SP is only the second part of a 'three act play' from Mendes and Craig which would probably stand to disappoint a lot of people!
    @Cowley, yes agree re: Glen, new Bond and came up with his best two films.
    I got the feeling that
    Craig and Mendes were signing off at the end of SPECTRE - as a team for Bond, think DC will do one more
    I got the feeling that
    Craig and Mendes were signing off at the end of SPECTRE - as a team for Bond, think DC will do one more

Funnily enough I'm the other way of thinking!
    The ending of SP could also be regarded as a 'what happens next?' cliff hanger for the series. Craig could return with Mendes to resolve it.

A separate stand alone adventure for Craig with a new director might creatively keep this era on its toes but I'm not sure if Craig would come back without Mendes as they have that good working relationship together.
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    I got the feeling that

Funnily enough I'm the other way of thinking!
    The ending of SP could also be regarded as a 'what happens next?' cliff hanger for the series. Craig could return with Mendes to resolve it.

A separate stand alone adventure for Craig with a new director might creatively keep this era on its toes but I'm not sure if Craig would come back without Mendes as they have that good working relationship together.

I have to say I agree with Cowley on this.
    Yes, there is a chance that this could be a signing off for DC and SM, but with Bond and Madeleine Swann kind of driving off into the sunset, Gary Cooper style, there could be a great story waiting to bring Bond back and complete what could be a fantastic trilogy. I do feel that it is nicely set up for an OHMSS ending to start the next movie and maybe get what we may have wished DAF was.

• Definitely NO ! Spectre is absolutely disappointing and even boring. Goodbye Sam Mendes and I think goodbye Daniel as well. How can they clean this up with the same people after the mess they made with Spectre ?

• This is a hard one. I feel that the end of SP works in two senses;

From one perspective, it seems to be the culmination of the story that began in CR. Bond is finally able to acknowledge that there is a life beyond being a “spy” (a proposition that Vesper presented only to crudely deny him). Furthermore, Mendes was clearly attempted to tie together the loose threads presented throughout CR, QOS and SF (“the author of all your pain”). With Bond resolving his past issues. In this sense the film is an “ending”.

However, this “ending” seems to suggest a host of further questions. Namely; what will happen to Blofeld? Are Spectre till in operation? Will Bond and Madeline have their “happy ever after”? As the title card insists: “JAMES BOND WILL RETURN”, it seems that these questions will have to be answered by someone if not Mendes.

So the real question is: who will answer them?

There are a number of possibilities. A director could ignore them and do whatever story he wants (with or without Craig), or this really is the end of the road and a total reboot could be planned (I know a rumour was floating around about returning Bond to the ‘60’s).

However, I feel that if they want to continue down the road they have set themselves upon, the likelihood is that they will answer these questions and Mendes and Craig WILL come back. The end of his trilogy. I anticipate the film will be a very different beast to both SF and SP and will focus on Fleming’s YOLT. I’d also bet any money the film will be called “BLOFELD”.

Furthermore, notice Mendes’s comments. He seems slightly more positive over the idea of coming back. Around this time on SF he was basically saying “Nope”. We know one of the reasons Mendes came back was because he felt possessive of the characters, and I’d imagine he will feel the same over Oberhauser and Swann (they are actually his characters after all).

Personally I’m on the fence about Mendes’s return. I feel it’s his duty to come back and finish the story he started, ie; tying up the loose ends from Spectre. However, I feel he is a little bereft of ideas and the series needs an injection of new blood.

However, I don’t think Daniel Craig will return without him. I believe that is the whole essence behind his “will he, won’t he” attitude at present.
    We know one of the reasons Mendes came back was because he felt possessive of the characters, and I’d imagine he will feel the same over Oberhauser and Swann (they are actually his characters after all).
    I agree. He may feel a sense of responsibility towards these two, especially because they are not being reviewed well (in general) from what I have been reading.
    Personally I’m on the fence about Mendes’s return. I feel it’s his duty to come back and finish the story he started, ie; tying up the loose ends from Spectre. However, I feel he is a little bereft of ideas and the series needs an injection of new blood.
    Me too (without having seen SP). He's far better than some others no doubt, but he seemed to be referencing the past for the sake of it even in SF (although that was acceptable as a 50th anniversary film).
    However, I don’t think Daniel Craig will return without him. I believe that is the whole essence behind his “will he, won’t he” attitude at present.
    That is very possible. It is also very unfortunate, because Craig should be able and willing to work with others, and quite frankly his best performance has not come from a Mendes film imho.

I think Dan is waiting on Mendes, I think Dan is doing what he did with Spectre in convincing Mendes to do one more. Mendes just after Spectre "I am done, I hope the next director can come in an add to it" DC Last week "Deciding now after being through what is a two year process is not the right time to decide after 6 months when you have had a break from it an spent some time with your family and its out of sight out of mind and you can make a clear decision " Mendes last week " Dan is right making a decision just after filming is not the best time to make that decision, I did that the last time and it came back to bite me because I ended up agreeing to come back, it's best to wait 6 months and then make that call".
    edited November 2015 Posts: 4,116
    Yes, plus Barbara Broccoli's adamant comment at the premier that they would do what it takes to keep both Mendes and Craig for B25.

I believe that's close to what she said or at least gladly welcome and strongly encourage them back. Wilson kept quiet but nodded in agreement.
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    Yes, plus Barbara Broccoli's adamant comment at the premier that they would do what it takes to keep both Mendes and Craig for B25.

I believe that's close to what she said or at least gladly welcome and strongly encourage them back. Wilson kept quiet but nodded in agreement.

She did say that she said "we will sort something out"

Now she has said this

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/10/27/daniel-craig-james-bond-barbara-broccoli_n_8398976.html

Barbara Broccoli Admits She's In Denial Over The Next James Bond Actor: 'It's Daniel Craig Forever, As Far As I'm Concerned'
    Barbara Broccoli Admits She's In Denial Over The Next James Bond Actor: 'It's Daniel Craig Forever, As Far As I'm Concerned'

This sounds like wishful thinking rather than something strategic. She'll have to get over him sometime.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 4,600
    BB is far too professional to say anything else at a premier. What do we expect "actually we are shopping around at the moment"?
    Very true.

It's telling that all this 'we'll wait for 6 months' , 'I don't really know' & 'Daniel forever'
    comments are all conveniently coming out now, as the film is in full marketing gear. Has there been any negative comment out of EON/Mendes/Craig in the past 3 weeks?

I'm quite certain they don't want to sabotage their work. That would be totally unprofessional given there are several less well paid people who worked on it as well as strategic up coming negotiations.
    She is fixated on Craig. He keeps delivering at the box office she will keep giving him a chunk of the pie. Unlike any Bond actors before him I think Daniel is firmly in that inner family circle of trust. The first Bond actor with producer credits!. Dan is playing it very cool to the media but Barbara will know already the terms to him returning and she's pretty good at keeping him sweet.