SPECTRE: It grossed $880 Million Worldwide (..and 2015 was the biggest box office year so far)

Comments

• mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    bondjames wrote: »
    Cowley wrote: »
    It would be interesting for the future of the series if SP does better the performance of SF at the box office. We'd have to consider more what elements the general audience is attracted to rather than look to the boost from the Olympics and the 50th anniversary.

I made a few observations earlier about what factors I believe can lead to an oversize box office scenario:

http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/comment/508814/#Comment_508814

Welcome back @bondjames ...not that you were gone. Sorry I missed your response... never said thank you.

Anyway I'm unsure yet how SP will perform. I'll read your post linked above and watch and see.

I am not expecting 1 billion ...expecting about 70% of SF's gross.

We shouldn't have to wait too long, to find out what Spectre's final BO tally will be, as the release dates are all close together.
    As usual Japan is the last market for the film to play in.........but its not such a long wait to the Japanese opening this time, which i believe is Dec 4th.
    Even China, is opening only a week after the opening in North America.........so there are going to be some really big bucks coming Bond's way in November!
    Finally, common sense, like I always had, kicks in when it concerns box office predictions for "SPECTRE" :-):

http://www.thewrap.com/spectre-5-reasons-daniel-craig-shake-not-stir-box-office-skyfall/

Let's make that $1.2 Billion figure reality! :-D
  • Thunderball007Thunderball007 United States
    May I inquire? Why is Japan a last stop for many films? I am curious. :)
  • TokolosheTokoloshe Under your bed
    Finally, common sense, like I always had, kicks in when it concerns box office predictions for "SPECTRE" :-):

http://www.thewrap.com/spectre-5-reasons-daniel-craig-shake-not-stir-box-office-skyfall/

Let's make that $1.2 Billion figure reality! :-D

It's a decent article other than the massive Waltz spoiler. Can't see why anyone would choose to do that.

They also say it's DC's third outing as Bond even though they reference the three previous films!
    I would guess it won't generate as much as skyfall. All my friends who have seen it rank it as good not great, as do the critics and members of the board as an average. That sort of word of mouth if indicative isn't gonna generate as much tickets sales I think.

This is all guess work I don't analyse figures or demographics just a hunch.
    Matt007 wrote: »
    I would guess it won't generate as much as skyfall. All my friends who have seen it rank it as good not great, as do the critics and members of the board as an average. That sort of word of mouth if indicative isn't gonna generate as much tickets sales I think.

This is all guess work I don't analyse figures or demographics just a hunch.

Box office works partially like that. But not entirely. Reviews do have an influence on the box office success. But "Furious 7", "Avengers: Age of Ultron", "Jurassic World" and "Minions" (all $1 Billion Dollar movies) were equally rated "good, but not great", "fine, but not excellent".
    May I inquire? Why is Japan a last stop for many films? I am curious. :)

To annoy me I think.
    Some might say translation, but then again it has to be translated into a whole load of other languages as well doesn't it...
    My best total guess is that it is just about timing - other releases, promotions etc.
    Frustrating!
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 1,098
    Box Office is such as unpredictable beast.........and there are no real any experts.........because if there were no film studio would ever make a film that turned into a bomb would they. Because the pre-marketing would tell the film studios if the public were interested in the source material of their film, and so forth!
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited October 2015 Posts: 23,883
    I just read a very interesting article in the Wall Street Journal regarding the James Bond distribution rights affair. What was most surprising was to see how little Sony apparently nets from the whole James Bond franchise (about $38m for SF apparently), and how much MGM keeps (75%). It makes me wonder who would want such a deal.

The article was free last night but is now showing as subscription only.
    bondjames wrote: »
    I just read a very interesting article in the Wall Street Journal regarding the James Bond distribution rights affair. What was most surprising was to see how little Sony apparently nets from the whole James Bond franchise (about $38m for SF apparently), and how much MGM keeps (75%). It makes me wonder who would want such a deal.

The article was free last night but is now showing as subscription only.

Perhaps it gives MGM better capital injections this way, perhaps MGM gets more self-sustainable again, at least financially. Perhaps MGM wants to do it alone again :-)?
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I still can't get a non subscription version of that WSJ article anywhere anymore.

However, here's something similar from the Hollywood Reporter:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/how-sony-could-lose-james-833474

Yes, I think MGM is in the bargaining seat on this one, but I'm not sure I like that. It should really be EON calling the shots, but one wonders if they really are on the business side (as opposed to the creative side).
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    What if EON made the Bond films by themselves. Then they could keep 100% of the profits :D
    What if EON made the Bond films by themselves. Then they could keep 100% of the profits :D

One thing that always bothers me is that when Swaltzman left he sold his half not to Broccoli but to UA (now MGM). MGM is about as stable as a bull on a pogo stick.
    mcdonbb wrote: »

One thing that always bothers me is that when Swaltzman left he sold his half not to Broccoli but to UA (now MGM). MGM is about as stable as a bull on a pogo stick.

About as stable as SONY then ;)
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 1,661
    The epic UK opening for SPECTRE must bode well for its US release. This must be the best PR ever "new Bond film breaks box office records!" (and it's just week 1). I'm gonna say

US three day opening: 100 million dollars.

And overall worldwide: over a billion. Let's say 1.4 billion!
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    Is it just me, or is anyone else really not bothered..?
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 1,661
    Well don't post here then.

This is not the "not bothered' thread. :D

(just kidding)
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    Well don't post here then.

This is not the "not bothered' thread. :D

(just kidding)

Well, guess it would be a fair point even it you weren't kidding...

But then again the title of the thread isn't "Let's hope SP does 1.2 Billion Dollars Worldwide? (..and will 2015 be biggest movie year ever?") appreciation thread"

:D

I wasn't being totally serious, I do sort of care about how well the Bond films do, but in the same sort of way I cared about what the name of Will & Kate's second tot was going to be...
    After the UK, now also Netherlands is setting a huge new record with the 24th Bond film "SPECTRE":
    http://www.volkskrant.nl/film/spectre-best-bezochte-film-op-openingsdag-ooit~a4174515/

Google translated:
    "SPECTRE" is the most visited film on opening day ever. The new Bond film "SPECTRE" has broken Dutch records on opening day. Thursday more than 68 thousand moviegoers came to see "SPECTRE". Never before a film has been visited by so many people during the opening day. Not even by "Skyfall".

According to Universal Pictures Benelux the film had a whopping market share of 64 percent, almost two out of three moviegoers chose to see "SPECTRE". Thus the James Bond film has the best opening for a film ever since 2001, the year since the statistics are being registered/tracked properly.

"SPECTRE" has brought in 57 percent (!!!) more money on opening day in The Netherlands than its predecessor "Skyfall", and has overthrown "Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows: Part II" with a turnover difference of EURO 40,000.

The new James Bond film has brought in EURO 617,000 on Thursday. Including previews on Wednesday "SPECTRE" has brought in EURO 862,000 and there have been nearly 100,000 visitors. If this is a sign, the box office haul of "Skyfall", with more than $25 Million in The Netherlands, will now most certainly be broken.
  • mcdonbb wrote: »

About as stable as SONY then ;)
    Indeed. MGM is currently far more profitable than Sony's film division.

edited October 2015 Posts: 8,079

Yes.............its interesting to read that Sony say they would be happy with an opening gross of $60 mil, but personally i don't believe it will be around that mark, i mean thats lower than even QOS back in 2008, and ticket prices were lower then.
    Mind you the film is going up against the Peanuts movies, so i think studio heads at Sony are thinking that maybe on opening weekend, many parents may not go to see Spectre for themselves, but will take their kids to see the Peanuts movie instead..........then at a later date the parents may go and see Spectre!

mepal1 wrote: »

Yes.............its interesting to read that Sony say they would be happy with an opening gross of $60 mil, but personally i don't believe it will be around that mark, i mean thats lower than even QOS back in 2008, and ticket prices were lower then.
    Mind you the film is going up against the Peanuts movies, so i think studio heads at Sony are thinking that maybe on opening weekend, many parents may not go to see Spectre for themselves, but will take their kids to see the Peanuts movie instead..........then at a later date the parents may go and see Spectre!

My kids want to see SP lol. Oldest 11yo... but then they thought SF was funny with everyone chasing that grandma.

• edited October 2015 Posts: 389
    After a very difficult year, Sony is trying to be conservative, but all the predictions seem to be in the 80 million range, After impressive UK and Netherlands openings I am optimistic, I believe that SP have a good chance of matching SF record in North America. Don´t forget that SF opening date had not movie ompetition, but it had to deal with Hurricane Sandy.
    By the way, QoS adjusted opening weekend is over 75 million and SP is not going to be under these numbers. .
    As we head into the all important 1st weekend in the UK for 'Spectre'...........has anyone seen any reports for Thursdays UK boxoffice take?
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 11,119

I have been checking some of the sources of that article, including the quotes in there from an official of boxoffice.com. I really think they still base this prediction on earlier long-range forecasts (four/three weeks ago).

A theater count of 3,500?? Don't make me laugh. Looking at the tremendous box office success, and even some underestimation from Sony's side regarding the theater count back then -also 3,500- you should at least expect a fierce increase towards 4,000 theaters.

Let's see what happens next week, but I think an opening weekend of $ 80 Million is a very very very soft prediction. I do understand Sony though ;-). Obviously they are even more careful now with their ≈$65 Million, so that a 'sudden' $100 Million opening weekend would be another 'big story'.