SPECTRE: It grossed $880 Million Worldwide (..and 2015 was the biggest box office year so far)

Comments

• Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    Box Office: 'Spectre' Opens to Record-Shattering $63.8M in the U.K.

Sam Mendes' Spectre has scored the biggest opening of all time in the U.K. with $63.8 million in its first seven days of release, ahead of Skyfall.

All told, the film has earned $80.4 million from its first six territories, breaking records everywhere. In the U.K., it is playing in 647 theaters and on 2,500 screens, making it the widest release of all time.

So far, Spectre is holding its own. It scored the biggest Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday TK in history at the U.K. box office.

More evidence that @GustavGraves was right all this time. ^:)^
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 11,119
    "SPECTRE" scored a £21.1 Million (more than $32 Million) opening weekend (Friday, Saturday, Sunday) in the United Kingdom. Which now has the highest opening weekend in the UK ever, surpassing "Skyfall"s £20.1 Million Opening weekend. This is remarkable, because "SPECTRE" was already in cinema as of Monday:
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2015/11/01/box-office-spectre-spies-80-4-million-debut/

In total, "SPECTRE" has grossed £41.7 Million ($63.8 Million) from Monday to Sunday in the UK, easily surpassing the previous 'seven-day gross record' of "Skyfall" (£37.2 Million). "SPECTRE" global box office figure now stands at $80.4 Million.

The news now also hits the frontpage of BoxOfficeMojo.com:
    http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4118&p=.htm:
    Additional records were broken in the Netherlands where Spectre took in 3.3 million Euro ($3.7 million USD), surpassing the record set by Skyfall. In the Nordic region, Spectre set records in Finland and Norway with 2.35 million Euro ($2.63 million USD) and 24.4 million krone ($2.88 million USD) respectively. In Denmark it achieved the biggest three-day opening of all time with 28.1 million krone ($4.21 million USD), also surpassing Skyfall. In Sweden it added another 24.95 million krone ($2.97 million USD), 30% over the opening of Skyfall.

Especially....Denmark is remarkable. That little country dwarfs Netherlands population-wise, but still beats Netherlands.
    Also, for a more detailed breakdown of SP's boxoffice this weekend, see the following article:- :)

One thing to note, is that these figures are early estimates, coz Sunday isn't actually over yet in Europe, and film is still playing as of this moment, but $63.8 mil for the opening week in the UK for SP is bloody good isnt it?.........well its actually for the first 6.75 days............coz film didnt start playing until last Monday evening!

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2015/11/01/box-office-spectre-spies-80-4-million-debut/
  • Wow, fascinating, even though it had been showing from Mon-Thu, its Fri-Sun numbers were still bigger than Skyfall's opening weekend. You ready, Star Wars? :)
    mepal1 wrote: »
    Also, for a more detailed breakdown of SP's boxoffice this weekend, see the following article:- :)

One thing to note, is that these figures are early estimates, coz Sunday isn't actually over yet in Europe, and film is still playing as of this moment, but $63.8 mil for the opening week in the UK for SP is bloody good isnt it?.........well its actually for the first 6.75 days............coz film didnt start playing until last Monday evening!

And considering the final grosses for Sunday won't be counted until some time tomorrow, that number will undoubtedly increase.

Sam Mendes' Spectre has scored the biggest opening of all time in the U.K. with $63.8 million in its first seven days of release, ahead of Skyfall.

All told, the film has earned $80.4 million from its first six territories, breaking records everywhere. In the U.K., it is playing in 647 theaters and on 2,500 screens, making it the widest release of all time.

So far, Spectre is holding its own. It scored the biggest Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday TK in history at the U.K. box office.

...but not for the Friday and Saturday. Hmmm. So are we to conclude besides the mid week half term boost the weekend wasn't all that exceptional?

Halloween has really taken off in the UK now and one has to wonder if people preferred partying to the cinema last night.
  • Just updated my previous post. I think....at this point it's safe to say that "SPECTRE" will be another $1 Billion box office hit for Sony/MGM/EON. Even if it doesn't do that well in the USA, markets like China can completely (over)compensate that. Like it was the case with many franchise movies this year (Look at "Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation").
    Cowley wrote: »

...but not for the Friday and Saturday. Hmmm. So are we to conclude besides the mid week half term boost the weekend wasn't all that exceptional?

Halloween has really taken off in the UK now and one has to wonder if people preferred partying to the cinema last night.

It's the highest 7 day gross in the UK, surpassing the third Harry Potter film.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 11,119

It's quite a big thing if, after being in cinema's for several days, you're still able to equal the $32 Million opening weekend in the UK. And that's the case with "SPECTRE".

Regardless of flawed comparisons, it was a genius master stroke to let "SPECTRE" premiere on that Monday.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 1,098

No, that was to be expected........because the film had been playing for 3 full days, and one evening before the first weekend......therefore by the weekend a large percentage of people in the UK had already seen the film!

Normally, a film may have preview screenings for one night or day on a Thursday, just before its big weekend.

These figures are actually fantastic, so far!.....ie biggest opening week ever in the UK.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    dinovelvet wrote: »
    You ready, Star Wars? :)

please do not poke the bear :D

Seriously though, SP is doing remarkably well and I really hope it's BO success continues and with quick succession too.

Competing with SW isn't really worth dwelling on because, well, it's SW and it'll destroy anything that goes up against it. The best we can hope for is for SP to have a good strong word of mouth for repeat viewings and for it to hit $billion. It doesn't have to out-gross SF but it would be great for it to hit that $billion mark.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited November 2015 Posts: 8,087
    Just updated my previous post. I think....at this point it's safe to say that "SPECTRE" will be another $1 Billion box office hit for Sony/MGM/EON. Even if it doesn't do that well in the USA, markets like China can completely (over)compensate that. Like it was the case with many franchise movies this year (Look at "Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation").

Yes, It seems obvious now that SPECTRE will crush Skyfall at the Boxoffice. The most recent figures show SPECTRE outperforming Skyfall in every market that it is currently released in. :)]
    Just updated my previous post. I think....at this point it's safe to say that "SPECTRE" will be another $1 Billion box office hit for Sony/MGM/EON. Even if it doesn't do that well in the USA, markets like China can completely (over)compensate that. Like it was the case with many franchise movies this year (Look at "Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation").

or even the crapfest that was terminator. Still, lets not trivialise the importance of the contribution of the US market. We NEED them.

It's the highest 7 day gross in the UK, surpassing the third Harry Potter film.

Ah but I'm greedy. I wanted it break the Friday and Saturday record too.
  • mepal1 wrote: »

No, that was to be expected........because the film had been playing for 3 full days, and one evening before the first weekend......therefore by the weekend a large percentage of people in the UK had already seen the film!

Normally, a film may have preview screenings for one night or day on a Thursday, just before its big weekend.

These figures are actually fantastic, so far!.....ie biggest opening week ever in the UK.

But that's not true. It set a new opening weekend record in the UK as well, although barely. £21.1 Million in the UK -Friday, Saturday, Sunday- compared to £20.1 Million for "Skyfall". Also, we need to wait for the final Monday evening figures regarding the 1st opening weekend for "SPECTRE".
    It set a new opening weekend record in the UK as well, although barely. £21.1 Million in the UK -Friday, Saturday, Sunday- compared to £20.1 Million for "Skyfall". Also, we need to wait for the final Monday evening figures regarding the 1st opening weekend for "SPECTRE".

Ah thanks GG so it did after all. Only a slight improvement over SF but still gratifying.
    I'm not done yet either with at least another two trips to see SP! This rate in the first fortnight I'll equal the number of times I've stomached watching SF in 3 years...

But that's not true. It set a new opening weekend record in the UK as well, although barely. £21.1 Million in the UK -Friday, Saturday, Sunday- compared to £20.1 Million for "Skyfall". Also, we need to wait for the final Monday evening figures regarding the 1st opening weekend for "SPECTRE".

Eh!......which bit is not true?.......i never said SP didn't break opening weekend, over SF.
    All i was pointing to, was that the opening weekend would be slightly blunted, coz film had already been playing for a few days! If SP had opened Friday, then the weekend figures would of been truly massive! :)
  • mepal1 wrote: »

Eh!......which bit is not true?.......i never said SP didn't break opening weekend, over SF.
    All i was pointing to, was that the opening weekend would be slightly blunted, coz film had already been playing for a few days! If SP had opened Friday, then the weekend figures would of been truly massive! :)

Ahhh ok hehe. Sorry for the mistke then ;-). Still, this was to be expected. Usually weekends that follow-up 5 days of holidays....are a bit more disappointing when looking at box office figures. Families then say "time to go to bed a bit more early, because Monday back to school/work!" :-). So even looking at that, the opening weekend for "SPECTRE" is a triumph.
    andmcit wrote: »
    I'm not done yet either with at least another two trips to see SP! This rate in the first fortnight I'll equal the number of times I've stomached watching SF in 3 years...

Yep.......i'll donate another £10 to see SP again, then that should be enough viewings at the cinema for me to of absorbed all the details of the film.

It's early days for SPECTRE but I'm starting to think Daniel Craig will do one final film. If SPECTRE challenges Skyfall's overall box office - and I think that's a realistic target - Craig would be in a super strong position to do one last film for a huge fee. The UK opening is insane. Skyfall the highest grossing film of all time in the UK (ignoring inflation!) and now SPECTRE the biggest opening ever in the UK.

These are stats every other film franchise would kill for!
    andmcit wrote: »

I've seen it 3 times already and have to see it another 4 times at least. Minimum of 7 viewings for a Bond film I like and enjoy.

• edited November 2015 Posts: 486
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    It's early days for SPECTRE but I'm starting to think Daniel Craig will do one final film. If SPECTRE challenges Skyfall's overall box office - and I think that's a realistic target - Craig would be in a super strong position to do one last film for a huge fee. The UK opening is insane. Skyfall the highest grossing film of all time in the UK (ignoring inflation!) and now SPECTRE the biggest opening ever in the UK.

These are stats every other film franchise would kill for!

I don't usually get hung up on box office take- especially given that OHMSS and LTK are my two favourite films in the series! - but it's heartening to see that like with the 60s Bonds lightning can indeed strike twice.

Will SP do well because of Skyfall or were the Olympics and 50th anniversary just co-incidental and the Bond franchise instead elevated to a whole new ball game? We'll soon find out.

Ahhh ok hehe. Sorry for the mistke then ;-). Still, this was to be expected. Usually weekends that follow-up 5 days of holidays....are a bit more disappointing when looking at box office figures. Families then say "time to go to bed a bit more early, because Monday back to school/work!" :-). So even looking at that, the opening weekend for "SPECTRE" is a triumph.

Yes....onwards and upwards for Spectre!.......this time next weekend the film could of grossed $100 mil in the UK, if the percentage drop in takings is less than 50%.

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Really don't want to rain on anybody's parade but isn't the main reason behind all those record breaking numbers that the movie was made available to more people than ever with record numbers of cinemas showing Spectre?
    But what will happen in week 3 and 4 when so many people have already seen it?

Not at all saying it will not make a billion, even 1.5 billion is a scenario that cannot be ruled out as Spectre could be the one Bond movie that unites all the newer fans of Craig-era style Bond and the middle-aged Bond fans that so love the Moore-Brosnan style movies and the older people that grew up to the Connery-era.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2015 Posts: 23,883
    This is all great news, but entirely as expected. Anyone could and should have expected this really.

http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/comment/503198/#Comment_503198

As from my post above on the 16th, it is next week where I look for sustainability of the gross in the UK. And the following week.

I am looking for $95m to $105m in the US this weekend and then I hope for sustainability of that gross into week 2 (at most 55% drop off to about $45m in weekend 2). If that occurs, then we are on our way to beating SF's total worldwide, regardless of what happens in other markets, imho.
  • Really don't want to rain on anybody's parade but isn't the main reason behind all those record breaking numbers that the movie was made available to more people than ever with record numbers of cinemas showing Spectre?

Not at all saying it will not make a billion, even 1.5 billion is a scenario that cannot be ruled out as Spectre could be the one Bond movie that unites all the newer fans of Craig-era style Bond and the middle-aged Bond fans that so love the Moore-Brosnan style movies and the older people that grew up to the Connery-era.

Glad you pointed that out. But ehm....I was the first one pointing that out :-P. Theater count is decisive. Thing is, no one really mentioned it...until now.
    bondjames wrote: »
    This is all great news, but entirely as expected. Anyone could and should have expected this really.

http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/comment/503198/#Comment_503198

As from my post above on the 16th, it is next week where I look for sustainability of the gross in the UK. And the following week.

I am looking for $95m to $105m in the US this weekend and then I hope for sustainability of that gross into week 2 (at most 55% drop off to about $45m in weekend 2). If that occurs, then we are on our way to beating SF's total worldwide, regardless of what happens in other markets, imho.

That's a bit too easy @bondjames. "SPECTRE" could have easily underperformed past days.
    Really don't want to rain on anybody's parade but isn't the main reason behind all those record breaking numbers that the movie was made available to more people than ever with record numbers of cinemas showing Spectre?

Yes.....that's true as more cinemas are built each year, with more screens to see a film... and obviously ticket prices are constantly going up!
    Basically, cinema has been on the increase since the mid 80's when admissions were at the lowest, but the introduction of the design of a new type of cinema i.e the multiplex has seen film admissions increase over the years!

Plus, films are shown in Russia and China now, where in he old communists days Bond films were not shown in those markets!

• MansfieldMansfield Where the hell have you been?
    edited November 2015 Posts: 1,263
    Spectre could be the one Bond movie that unites all the newer fans of Craig-era style Bond and the middle-aged Bond fans that so love the Moore-Brosnan style movies and the older people that grew up to the Connery-era.
    This statement is one film late, as it already happened with Bond 23. No matter what internet people say, the entire world bought into Skyfall. There is no other way to measure, "unity," because everything in the realm of critical reception is subjective.

If my hypothesis of the parallels between Skyfall-Spectre and Goldfinger-Thunderball are to be supported, Spectre will need to become the largest grossing film in franchise history. That would indeed signal the return to global phenomena that EON originally captured with Connery.
    Star Wars is in December so no threat there. The Hunger Games part (whatever!) shouldn't pose a major threat - both films have their own fanbase. I can't see anything stopping SPECTRE's box office roll. Whether or not it's got the repeat viewing momentum which could push it into the 1.5 to 2 bill bracket, who knows. But the start has been insane. If the US opens above 100 million then I reckon it's gonna be on its way to 1 bill worldwide.