Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• edited October 2015 Posts: 2,081
    I can't overcome my feelings for Paul Walker. I haven't watched Furious 7 yet.
    I probably will cry half the movie. Seriously. I so liked him and collected all his movies. :(

I'm so sorry. I'm not familiar with his work at all, but I understand the feeling very well.

---

I decided to watch some Michael Fassbender stuff. (With a sort of... ok, show me what you can do mentality.) Previously seen: Jane Eyre, Prometheus, 12 Years A Slave, The Counselor.

So...

A Dangerous Method
    Directed by David Cronenberg, has Fassbender as Jung, Viggo Mortensen as Freud... so far so good, and then Keira Knightley, um, not so good. I expected something better and more interesting, but actually found it pretty boring.

Eden Lake
    A couple in love, a bunch of unpleasant young people, some unpleasant adults as well, and a very unpleasant movie. I started fast-forwarding before I got half-way through, but hoped it might go somewhere beyond victims and sadistic lunatics, violence, torture, blood and mud, but it never really did.

Inglourious Basterds
    Finally got around to watching this, been meaning to for years. Quite enjoyable, this one. Pitt and Waltz were entertaining.

...to be continued...

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited October 2015 Posts: 23,883
    Bridge of Spies

Excellent film and recommended. Hanks is his usual honourable self. Mark Rylance gives a superb performance. It's talky, but it's also very interesting, and of course Spielberg's direction is excellent. Thomas Newman's score is a little sparse, but what there is suits each scene like a glove.

Quite an uplifting film and in my top 10 for 2015 along with The Martian, MI5-RN, Mad Max-FR, & Sicario.
    ----

I agree with your assessment of A Dangerous Method @Tuulia. I am interested in psychology so saw it in the theatre. Keira Knightley wasn't all that good imho, but then again, I'm not a big fan of hers so I thought my bias was affecting my view. I'm glad to hear someone else felt the same way. Eden Lake is a disturbingly violent & uncomfortable film, although it stars Kelly Reilly in an early role, and I'm a fan of hers. Inglorious Basterds is one of my favourites.....it was the first time I saw Waltz acting. Fassbender & Kruger were great in this too, as were Melanie Laurent & Daniel Bruhl
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 2,081
    @bondjames, I have similar Keira Knightley bias, so yes, it may be a bit hard to tell... but then, people have those both for and against all the time with actors anyway, it's not like we can be objective, so... The movie on the whole just wasn't all that interesting, and I would have expected it to be. A pity.
    As for disturbing and violent, I'm fine with that as long there's a point, but I didn't see any in Eden Lake, and thought it was just plain bad.
    Everyone was good in Inglourious Basterds, a very good movie, better and far more interesting than I expected. (And for me much better than Tarantino's next one, Django Unchaned.)

---

Continuing with Fassbender movies:

Shame
    I only just realized... Steve McQueen quite likes Fassbender and vice versa, I suppose. 3 movies and the guy has a big role in all of them. This was a very interesting one, and in my opinion much better than 12 Years A Slave (which I thought tried too much, and what was meant to touch just felt manipulative and thereby irritating to me). I've got Hunger waiting, and will watch that probably this weekend.
    Shame is very well acted by all, and the loneliness, desperation and melancholy of the main characters feels very real.

bondjames wrote: »
    Bridge of Spies

Excellent film and recommended. Hanks is his usual honourable self. Mark Rylance gives a superb performance. It's talky, but it's also very interesting, and of course Spielberg's direction is excellent. Thomas Newman's score is a little sparse, but what there is suits each scene like a glove.

Quite an uplifting film and in my top 10 for 2015 along with The Martian, MI5-RN, Mad Max-FR, & Sicario.
    ----

I agree with your assessment of A Dangerous Method @Tuulia. I am interested in psychology so saw it in the theatre. Keira Knightley wasn't all that good imho, but then again, I'm not a big fan of hers so I thought my bias was affecting my view. I'm glad to hear someone else felt the same way. Eden Lake is a disturbingly violent & uncomfortable film, although it stars Kelly Reilly in an early role, and I'm a fan of hers. Inglorious Basterds is one of my favourites.....it was the first time I saw Waltz acting. Fassbender & Kruger were great in this too, as were Melanie Laurent & Daniel Bruhl

I really wanted to see Bridge of Spies, being a huge fan of Spielberg's work. I'll probably see it sometime in the next couple weeks.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    murphys_law_poster_01-392x600.jpg

Felt in the mood for a Charlie Bronson fix, and this was the next film in my pile. Enjoyable, but Death With 3 is still my favourite Charlie Bronson film.

Joan: "You go to hell."
    Jack Murphy: "Ladies first."

I loved Murphy's Law. a solid Bronson flick. Loved that ending.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Murdock wrote: »
    murphys_law_poster_01-392x600.jpg

Felt in the mood for a Charlie Bronson fix, and this was the next film in my pile. Enjoyable, but Death With 3 is still my favourite Charlie Bronson film.

Joan: "You go to hell."
    Jack Murphy: "Ladies first."

I loved Murphy's Law. a solid Bronson flick. Loved that ending.

Such fond memories of that flick. I need to see it again.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @Tuulia, I, too, loved 'Shame' when I saw it upon release a while back. Very dramatic and depressing, but Fassbender handles it all so well.
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 1,009
    Burn, Witch, Burn! (Night Of The Eagle)

Having read Conjure Wife several months ago, I decided to watch this movie version. Splendid adaptation by Richard Matheson and Charles Beaumont, generally very true to the source. Maybe it needed a little more irony, but no complains about this one.

A Shot In The Dark

After the vastly overrated The Pink Panther, Blake Edwards and Peter Sellers blessed us with this masterpiece of comedy. Centering all the action in Clouseau makes the movie work perfectly, and we have Lom and Kwouk at last as Dreyfuss and Kato. Elke Sommers and George Sanders were great there, too.
    And as a screenwriter, William Peter Blatty had some wicked and irreverent (for that time) sense of humor, I must say. And as a Bond fan, having two Goldfinger villains - Solo (Martin Benson) and... I don't remember the name of Kwouk's character! - doing comedy routines just before the shooting of that movie is a nice curiosity.

Edit: OK, just saw the crow scene. Didn't remember it and i'm on a ROFLMAO cathatonia.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    THE WALK

This amazing story about Frenchman Philippe Petit who walked on a wire between the two World Trade Center towers in 1974, looks good in 3d. Not to be confused with the former documentary Man On A Wire.

Having been on top of WTC, I can relate to his incredible acchievement.

Not for those with a fear of heights.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    HOTEL TRANSYLVANIA 2

Absolutely loved it. Even better than the first.
    I'm getting accustomed to all those fabulous characters and really want to see more of them.

Adam Sandler as Dracula is just perfect, hilarious, touching, fun. I really can't see Sandler anymore on screen (Pixels is an exception) but giving Dracula his voice and talent is great.

The humour is great and there is something for everyone. Some jokes are made clearly for the mature audience and there is even some dark humour in it.

The animation is top-notch. The Transylvanian Hotel which is a castle is a place I really would like to visit.
    The zombies being the attendants is hilarious! The invisible man has an invisible girlfriend this time...or has he?

I won't give away the story, but it's fabulous.

Definitely recommended!!

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://youtube.com/embed/T3nqmGgnJe8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    MAD MAX: FURY ROAD

lynn-tru.top_.jpeg

Mad Max: Fury Road is my favourite Mad Max film and so far my favourite theatrical release of this year. What an amazing spectacle! I was blown away in the theatre and I'm blown away again now that I've watched the film on DVD. Its style, pace, colour scheme, performances and story are all absolutely great. From the first second, I'm pulled into this world and I don't move an inch until the end credits start rolling.

Also, I would like to suggest people read the prelude comic. It's a great 4 issue comic book - the trade paperback has additional treats - and unlike so many comic preludes to movies, this one actually does add to the myth building of the film!
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    I almost NEVER disagree with you sir, but here's my post on the subject (reprinted by permission) :))
    I just rented & started watching Mad Max: Fury Road.
    After twenty minutes I started skipping through. Ten minutes later my ordeal was over.
    The colour saturation was like watching a Road Runner cartoon.
    The needless editing out of every third to seventh frame of action made me miss the (by comparison) smooth and languid look of QOS.
    The computer game production design was just a little too much, even for a Max movie.
    Hardy paled beside Gibson.

I'm glad if many liked this entry, but I'm SO glad I only wasted 30 minutes & $2.00 on it.

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    chrisisall wrote: »
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    I almost NEVER disagree with you sir, but here's my post on the subject (reprinted by permission) :))
    I just rented & started watching Mad Max: Fury Road.
    After twenty minutes I started skipping through. Ten minutes later my ordeal was over.
    The colour saturation was like watching a Road Runner cartoon.
    The needless editing out of every third to seventh frame of action made me miss the (by comparison) smooth and languid look of QOS.
    The computer game production design was just a little too much, even for a Max movie.
    Hardy paled beside Gibson.

I'm glad if many liked this entry, but I'm SO glad I only wasted 30 minutes & $2.00 on it.

I can't recall ever disagreeing with you @chrisisall but here I do.

Getting older means not being impressed that easily as 20 years ago.

starting at the 00's:
    In 2000 there was Pitch Black, never heard of it before watched it and it changed my life (if I may use that corny phrase). I've never experienced falling so madly in love with a movie character before.
    In 2004 there was Shaun Of The Dead, and it changed the way I look at movies and life (another phrase, but what do you want).
    In 2015 there is Mad Max Fury Road and it has set the bar almost impossibly high for everything that will follow. It was the most awesome, audiovisual experience ever. I was literally blown away from the Dolby Atmos sound, let alone the 3D visuals.
    Really, they should give out a warning for people 40 or older (I was 40 when I saw it).
    It is a dangerous adrenaline rush, like parachuting.

MMFR has made it into my hall of fame, and believe me that's no easy feat! I don't rank those movies in my hall of fame, they are just there for worshipping :))
    Mad Max Fury Road was great! Case closed =)
    People say the editing in QOS was nutz, but Fury Road often looked to me like an undercranked Keystone Cops flick. It was really unwatchable to me. Like having someone talking constantly during the movie or something... but then I tend to be overly visually obsessed. I have a hard time with Netflix sometimes because I see the hesitation in the motion due the limits of streaming...
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I binge watched the 7 films of the SAW franchise. I had seen the first one last year, so I rewatched it and carried on with the 6 sequels.

My ranking:
    Saw 2
    Saw 1
    Saw 5
    Saw 3
    Saw 4
    Saw 7
    Saw 6

The one scene that grossed me out was in the 3rd outing when one guy gets his arms and legs twisted repeatedly.

I very much enjoyed watching the whole franchise like this, as the links between each sequel get bigger and bigger and more complex as you go on.
    @DarthDimi, funny, I rewatched 'Mad Max: Fury Road' for the umpteenth time last night, as well, and loved it as much as I always do.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @chrisisall, I don't mind us having at least one film to disagree on. ;-) We're still friends! *Makes appointment for chrisisall with "the Doctor".*

@DaltonCraig007, I like your ranking, sir. Interesting. Yeah, the film with the needle pit has my most cringe-worthy moment. I just don't like needles... especially the 'used' kind. ;-)

I'd most likely rank them as:

SAW 2
    SAW 3
    SAW 1
    SAW 5
    SAW 4
    SAW 7
    SAW 6

We seem to be on the same page for the most part. :)
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @Tuulia, I, too, loved 'Shame' when I saw it upon release a while back. Very dramatic and depressing, but Fassbender handles it all so well.

Yup.
    THE WALK

This amazing story about Frenchman Philippe Petit who walked on a wire between the two World Trade Center towers in 1974, looks good in 3d. Not to be confused with the former documentary Man On A Wire.

Having been on top of WTC, I can relate to his incredible acchievement.

Not for those with a fear of heights.

I liked the documentary, and have been looking forward to the movie. Screw the damned 3d, but I expect it'll be available in 2d as well. Arriving here next month.

---

So, some more Fassbender:

Hunger
    Brutal. Very good.

Fish Tank
    Not exactly light entertainment, either, but compared to Hunger, this was pretty cheerful (well, it's all relative). Also very good.

• I binge watched the 7 films of the SAW franchise. I had seen the first one last year, so I rewatched it and carried on with the 6 sequels.

My ranking:
    Saw 2
    Saw 1
    Saw 5
    Saw 3
    Saw 4
    Saw 7
    Saw 6

Being October, I rewatched them as well.
    My ranking would go:

Saw 3
    Saw 2
    Saw 1
    Saw 4
    Saw 7
    Saw 5
    Saw 6

Bear in mind however that I only actually 'like' the first 3. The rest were all beating the dead horse for more money. I liked the concept of part 4 (finding a whole new tape in Jigsaw's corpse) but the movie as a whole wasn't anything to write home about.

I'll admit me and my best friend saw each and every one opening night at the theatre though! These movies were fun with a huge audience and the Halloween spirit, but not much else unfortunately
    Tough Guys Don't Dance. (1987)
    I have no idea how to describe this movie, it was weird but in a really funny way. The dialogue is so odd that I found myself laughing at most of it. I'll leave you with this. :))

Went to see Bridge of Spies yesterday, as only my second theater movie this year (planning on also seeing Spectre and Star Wars 7 though). I liked the film a lot; I thought Tom Hanks gave yet another spectacular performance, and the supporting cast around him delivered as well. The story intrigued me, so I was interested throughout and really enjoyed the movie. One of Spielberg's best efforts this century.
    Hannibal by Ridley Scott, in my humble opinion the best of the Lecter trilogy with an awesome soundtrack and the movie is visually stunning.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    SaintMark wrote: »
    Hannibal by Ridley Scott, in my humble opinion the best of the Lecter trilogy with an awesome soundtrack and the movie is visually stunning.

I personally prefer the more intimate suspense aspects of Silence of the Lambs & Red Dragon, but fully agree that Hannibal is by far the most visually stunning of the three, with a killer soundtrack. The drive to Mason Verger's house is incredibly eerie & atmospheric, and Florence never looked better. It's underrated imho.
    'Beasts of No Nation'

Go watch it. Netflix, the cinema, go see it now. Truly moving and beautiful (though terribly depressing and intense/hard to watch at times), one of the top ten movies of the year for me.
    Jurassic World
    Meh that was boring. It was an inferior remake of the first movie pretty much except trying to be "Bigger and Better." Been there done that. Stick with the original Jurassic Park that was a much better movie with heart.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Agreed, it looked to be almost a " Best of" album, of Jurassic moments.
    DrGorner wrote: »
    Agreed, it looked to be almost a " Best of" album, of Jurassic moments.
    Yeah, the problem with the Jurassic Park franchise is that after the first one, there isn't much else you can do. Jurassic Park should have been a standalone film to be honest.
  • michaelclarkemichaelclarke Onchan, Isle of Man
    Spectre

:D
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Spectre ? .... Never heard of it. Is it a small independent film ? :D