Christopher Nolan wants to direct a Bond

Comments

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    When it comes to Batman, I prefer the Burton films. Gothic, with a sliver of dark humour running through them.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    When it comes to Batman, I prefer the Burton films. Gothic, with a sliver of dark humour running through them.

My god such a surprise.
    I know many over here don't like Nolan all that much ,
    But I would love for a Nolan Bond Trilogy , now that Mendes is done and that Spectre possibly ends the 4 part story line , and that WB could Possibly be getting it
    Actually, just recently Christopher Nolan was asked about the possibility of directing a James Bond film. And according to him: "It's not a 'yes', it's not a 'no' " ;-):
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2379713/board/thread/249475904
    http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/james-bond/37378/christopher-nolan-on-directing-a-james-bond-film

Sounds all rather vague, but this does imply some 'gentleman's-talking'. Obviously Nolan wants to be considered, otherwise you don't respond so diplomatic. And let's be honest. Barbara Broccoli and Christopher Nolan spoke several times in New York, having a nice chit-chat while drinking a nice coffee :-).

Personally, I adored "The Dark Knight" trilogy. But I do have some reservations of Nolan doing a complete trilogy for Bond. Then my answer would be "No". I mean, come on, with "SPECTRE" we already have a huge storyline interwoven into one hell of a quadrilogy. No need to reboot again.

Actually, I would love Nolan to do a 'one-off'. Just one Bond film, in which he can execute all of his ideas. And a Bond film where he would love Daniel Craig to return for a 5th time. And obviously, Daniel Craig would love to come back for such a director.

I wouldn't be surprised that this is in the making.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    It's not I don't like Nolan that is until TDKR and Interstellar but Bond seems to have gone more lighthearted and fun again.

Ive loved the Craig era but it did need to lighten up by now. I'd hate to see them build it up to this to Nolan to turn it all dour and serious again.
    @Gustav,
    I don't think with a property like Bond which has such a rich history he'd go one off.

I agree. I thought Burton's Batman was great. Keaton's performance seemed spot on to me. These superhero movies are just plain dull without the humour.

Having said all that though, I really wouldn't mind seeing a one off Nolan Bond film.

However, EON have been desperate for years to get their directors to do back to back movies, and I suspect that if Nolan is in talks with Babs that the discussion will be around doing more than one. Given Craig is unlikely to do more than one more, that could be a sticking point. Nolan would probably prefer a new actor in the role and the chance to tell a two or three movie story arc.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    The only problem I have with Nolan directing a Bond, is that it will quickly
    become "A Chris Nolan Film " and not simply a continuing film in the
    series ?
    Well EON appear to want "auteur" directors these days, so Nolan is a logical choice. They could do a lot worse than Nolan IMO.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    If Nolan is as big a fan as he is, then he'd understand that he'd be playing in EON's background. It wouldn't be his own film as much as a collaboration with EON, like it has been with all the director who have come and go. The one big thing Nolan would have to give up in order to direct is allow a second unit director to do the action. Nolan is known for wanting to be behind the camera at all times which is why he never hired second unit (and he's only marginally improved when it comes to directing action). I don't think EON would agree to let Nolan direct everything as he has done with his previous films. If it too six months to shoot SPECTRE, imagine how long it would take for Nolan to get it done. That's too expensive.

Nolan isn't my ideal choice, but I would welcome him if it meant he had to step up his game and make a Bond film with all that is required. INCEPTION shows hints that he could pull it off, but it doesn't have the sexiness that Bond films should have. If his Bond film would be no different than what he's done before, then he's not worth it.
    To be fair, of your look at Mendes background, he had nothing like Bond in his back catalogue. To say that Inception lacks Bond's sexiness - yes, its a different film, you have to give good directors credit for knowing what will work. Mendes had done nothing like Bond but nailed it on his first attempt. Nolan is a clever guy, he would know that he was not making Inception 2.
    With Mendes you can see there's a light touch in some of his films to suggest that he can bring a good balance. Nolan hasn't quite shown that, even when he tries to inject humor to lighten things up it's usually more awkward than effective. Like a robot trying to tell a joke.

But like I said, I would love to see how he would step up!
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    edited October 2015 Posts: 1,727
    Chris Nolan is an auteur-director, if you know what I mean, he would not likely give up any creative control over the project. I agree it would be interesting, but his Hitchcockian inclinations may not be suited to Bond.
    And Nolan uses so many references to his own work that it’s just not funny anymore. His constant use of macguffins are also getting tiresome, I feel. He needs to be kept on a leash, not sure EoN could do that…

Mendes is more laid-back and not quite as authoritarian, he doesn't seem to mind too much that he has to work within certain boundaries and I'm pretty certain Babs & Michael had a decent hold on him throughout SF & SP.
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    Some of the recent Bonds are already kind of reminiscent of Nolan's work, so once Craig finishes as Bond I'd like to see a return to the early Brosnan era. Not the DAD stuff, obviously. Something like GoldenEye with a greater touch of the gadgets and humour would go a long way, I think.
    Thing is that EoN have been following the trends in cinema since Brosnan left: we had CR's 'reboot', Batman Begins style, then QoS' Bourne Ultimatum style, then SF's Dark Knight Rises homage.

So I expect them to keep doing the same - the next one will be in line with what is 'working' at the box office in 2-3 years time...
    Babs' has already shown herself to be a sucker for mainstream populism in her creative decisions, she is a low-risk, high-yield investment kinda' gal...
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    edited October 2015 Posts: 5,131
    Cubby was the same. But she did take a commercial risk on casting DC, that worked.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited October 2015 Posts: 23,883
    AceHole wrote: »
    Thing is that EoN have been following the trends in cinema since Brosnan left: we had CR's 'reboot', Batman Begins style, then QoS' Bourne Ultimatum style, then SF's Dark Knight Rises homage.

So I expect them to keep doing the same - the next one will be in line with what is 'working' at the box office in 2-3 years time...
    Babs' has already shown herself to be a sucker for mainstream populism in her creative decisions, she is a low-risk, high-yield investment kinda' gal...

I agree, although from my perspective (and I've yet to see SP) the following applies:

CR/QoS = BB (with a bit of Bourne thrown in for good measure)
    SF = TDK
    SP = TDKR

Chris Nolan is the man that EON have been following for the past 10 yrs. I think they respect him and I think it's mutual. I think he has the best shot of taking Bond forward if they decide to do something 'interesting' and not 'run of the mill' with B25 and if DC moves on. His comments indicate it's all a matter of direction/desire and timing. Babs wants him (I'm sure of it). It's just that DC was fixated on Mendes post-SF.

“I love James Bond and I’ve talked with the producers over the years, but nothing’s ever worked out. They do a great job—they don’t need me right now, and Sam [Mendes] is an extraordinary talent.”

The key point above is 'right now'.
    suavejmf wrote: »
    Cubby was the same. But she did take a commercial risk on casting DC, that worked.

I disagree, partly. Sure, LALD & TMWTGG cashed in on the trends of their time, but OHMSS, FYEO and TLD most definitely did not.
    They were, from an artistic point of view, risky endeavors.

Craig was such a good actor that it was only a minor creative risk on her part. And other than that she has really always gone for the safe, lowest common denominator bet.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    I suppose. Safe, lowest common denominator bet - 1994 - Brosnan (Cubby's last choice) though.
    I suppose. Safe, lowest common denominator bet - 1994 - Brosnan (Cubby's last choice) though.

Can't argue with that. Possibly the most populist creative decision ever in movie history.

Can't argue with that. Possibly the most populist creative decision ever in movie history.

Very true, and perhaps a necessary one, given the financial decline of the franchise throughout the 80's and the precarious studio position at this time.
    bondjames wrote: »

Very true, and perhaps a necessary one, given the financial decline of the franchise throughout the 80's and the precarious studio position at this time.

Maybe, but Bond in the 90's was all about packaging. It was a case of nice to look at, but once opened...
    Getafix wrote: »

I agree. I thought Burton's Batman was great. Keaton's performance seemed spot on to me. These superhero movies are just plain dull without the humour.

I've always found Nolan's far funnier than Burton's (which to me aren't actually funny).

patb wrote: »
    To be fair, of your look at Mendes background, he had nothing like Bond in his back catalogue. To say that Inception lacks Bond's sexiness - yes, its a different film, you have to give good directors credit for knowing what will work. Mendes had done nothing like Bond but nailed it on his first attempt. Nolan is a clever guy, he would know that he was not making Inception 2.

Yup.

With Mendes you can see there's a light touch in some of his films to suggest that he can bring a good balance. Nolan hasn't quite shown that, even when he tries to inject humor to lighten things up it's usually more awkward than effective. Like a robot trying to tell a joke.

But like I said, I would love to see how he would step up!

A light touch? Umm... Not much, that's for sure.

I completely disagree about Nolan. He doesn't do comedies, either (thank goodness), but he has had more humor in his work than Mendes pre-Bond in his, and I disagree what you say about his humor as well, I like it, works for me.

But... a lot of the "humor" in Bond movies is actually awkward or not even remotely funny to me. It has definitely gotten better, though (in general). Obviously I realize people find different stuff funny.

How is SF a TDKR homage? I honestly don't see it. Besides, it came out only 3 months later - how was there time to make it an homage, anyway? It somehow became an homage at editing stage?

@Tuulia - I was using it to illustrate a point. It's not directly influenced by TDKR as they were released 3 and a bit month apart, but EoN were quite clearly following Nolan's Batman franchise with keen interest - the 3rd film's premise will not have been lost on Babs & co.
    I had a dream about Nolan directing a Bond . ;)
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 7,653
    DrGorner wrote: »
    I had a dream about Nolan directing a Bond . ;)

I had a dream about Monica Bellucci guess who of us had more fun? O:-)
    I guess you did, can't say the same for Monica ! :D
    @AceHole, Hmm, I'm not convinced, but ok...
    The Batman Begins thing isn't quite accurate. Wilson had the idea of going back to Bond's beginnings 20 years prior, after Moore retired, but Cubby didn't think audiences would go for a Bond movie about Bond as a novice. CR was also being written before BB came out, it was more of a happy coincidence rather than EON looking at what Nolan did. If BB did anything, it likely gave EON confidence that they were going where the wind was blowing.

If one movie had an effect on EON with their development on CR, it was Bourne. After all, they hired Alexander Witt.
    edited October 2015 Posts: 23,883
    The Batman Begins thing isn't quite accurate. Wilson had the idea of going back to Bond's beginnings 20 years prior, after Moore retired, but Cubby didn't think audiences would go for a Bond movie about Bond as a novice. CR was also being written before BB came out, it was more of a happy coincidence rather than EON looking at what Nolan did. If BB did anything, it likely gave EON confidence that they were going where the wind was blowing.

If one movie had an effect on EON with their development on CR, it was Bourne. After all, they hired Alexander Witt.

That's probably true, but BB was already out by the time DC was hired. I'm sure BB (and in particular Bale's superb performance in that film) had an influence on which actor (DC vs. Cavill) they picked (in terms of ability to bring depth to the proceedings) and the way in which they made the film (including the tonal balance). Bourne definitely had an influence as well on both CR & QoS in terms of the gritty realism, but so did BB which was realistically gritty for a superhero film compared to what had come before at that point.

I think there's no doubt that Mendes was deeply influenced by TDK for SF. Certainly in terms of the overriding thematic aspects (to focus on these things I mean) as well as in the character of Silva. The Joker was Batman's dark side, as was Silva to Bond.

Finally, I have not seen SP yet, but it seems quite clear that SP is doing for the DC era what TDKR did for the Bat (bringing it all together and wrapping it up with one big open ended bow....including SPECTRE as the overall villain vs. The League of Shadows in TKDR). The only difference is Nolan had all this in mind when he made BB. Mendes thought about it after the fact and brought in the CR/QoS elements now, after he finished making SF.