Spectre Gunbarrel ***Spoilers***

Comments

Fitzochris wrote: »
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    Look at the end of the day the GB is back in the beginning and that's all that matters.

Not if it's a farce, it doesn't.

IMO I don't care I just want it back in the beginning no matter what they did to it. Any gunbarrel at the start is better then no gunbarrel at that start at all
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    I'm so glad the gunbarrel is back at the start. Being in the cinema and watching a gunbarrel at the beginning of a new Bond film is the only feeling that comes close to an orgasm. @-)

• If it's a gunbarrel like QoS or Skyfall, but at the start, I'd rather they left it out altogether. Both appalling efforts. I don't get why it's so hard to replicate a sequence that was done successfully between 1962 and 2002.
    No one has said there's no blood - there's been no confirmation either way
  • Exactly. I'm stating my position should it transpire there is anything other than a traditional gunbarrel sequence.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    edited October 2015 Posts: 4,116
    OMG take a freaking chill pill lol. All he said was it fades to black ...could be a nice transition from old GB to new.

From what I've heard the opening shot is brilliant so settle down I think all will be ok.

The only GB I disagreed with or completely disagreed with was the SF one. No reason why it couldn't open film except maybe Mendes thought it was beneath him to have his film start that way.

Early rest screenings had it open with GB to Turkish landscape then blurry Bond.... I think I read that.
  • I'm chilled enough, thanks. I'm not ranting. I'm not raving. I'm just stating, categorically, that if the gunbarrel isn't a traditional sequence I'll consider it baffling and a wasted opportunity. Again. If it is a traditional sequence, well, I'll be happy.
  • mcdonbb wrote: »
    Early rest screenings had it open with GB to Turkish landscape then blurry Bond.... I think I read that.

I think that was more what fans speculated Mendes should have done.
    mcdonbb wrote: »

No I thought there was some lady that went to an early test screening and reported that online. She also reported about Silva and his motives and that the film was long and had a lot of talking. Her review was pulled shortly after that.

BUT I don't remember where I read her review.

• mcdonbb wrote: »
    mcdonbb wrote: »

No I thought there was some lady that went to an early test screening and reported that online. She also reported about Silva and his motives and that the film was long and had a lot of talking. Her review was pulled shortly after that.

BUT I don't remember where I read her review.

That would make Mendes a liar then, as he has never made reference to an establishing shot and instead said Deakins opening shot, blurry Bond, was what prevented him putting the gunbarrel at the start.

I've never agreed with Mendes on that, but if the gunbarrel that was used at the end was used at the start, I don't think it would have improved the film any. It was awful.
    I don't think it makes him a liar.. and yes I agree I didn't like at the end and I didn't like the design at all.
  • Who said it fades to black, cannot that person clarify whether there's blood or not. for Jesus sake.
    Who said it fades to black, cannot that person clarify whether there's blood or not. for Jesus sake.

@Pierce2Daniel please answer this poor guy's question. :(

• MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    That would be the first time since FRWL that the gun barrel transitions to black before the PTS starts.
    That would be the first time since FRWL that the gun barrel transitions to black before the PTS starts.

Doesn't it do the same in Goldfinger?

• MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    I think it's a hard cut to the facility for GF.
    TB is the first time the dot opens to reveal a scene.

In GF just gets smaller.
  • A question for Pierce2Daniel

Does the gunbarrel music start with the blaring chords (all Bond gunbarrels except TSWLM, TND and TWINE) or the Bond vamp, and if it's the later, does it end with the guitar riff (TSWLM) or the brass "pyramid" outro (TND and TWINE - Daah dum daa daaah - Deeh deem deeh dehh - diiii dim dih diiiih)?
  • imranbecksimranbecks Singapore
    I'm sure there will be the blood flow after the gunshot. It would be a sin not to include it.
  • Strangely quiet on the answering of questions. Surely someone who has seen can confirm?
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    @Pierce2Daniel is the only one I know of who has seen it.
  • TreefingersTreefingers Isthmus City, Republic of Isthmus
    edited October 2015 Posts: 191
    That caption, "the dead are alive", seems like more of a contemplative device, something after the music finishes (or as it dies down) to segway into that fantastic opening shot.

Since Bond usually shoots as the guitar riff begins, they need some time for it to unfold, otherwise it would be too short--although who knows which actual arrangement they'll be using...

So there has to be some computer generated blood trickling down, but some clarification would be nice.
  • Dear Ralph

Personally, the GB is not that important to me. I really didn’t care enough to pay too much attention. Honestly, I liked it at the end of the film.
    Basically, it’s the same as the other 20 films. Happy? Dots across the screen. Binder design. Blood drips down. Then it fades out and the Bond theme stops and Newman’s rather loud score begins whilst the words: ‘The Dead are Alive’ fill the screen. Happy?!?
    This has nothing to do with Spectre, but a really interesting idea I had for a gunbarrel, say if FRWL ended with Bond being poisoned and GF began with the tension of him being brought to the hospital. A short cold open that is intense and fades to black at the end, where we then get a usual run of the mill gunbarrel. Similar to CR, except the gunbarrel isn't part of the scene or anything.
    This has nothing to do with Spectre, but a really interesting idea I had for a gunbarrel, say if FRWL ended with Bond being poisoned and GF began with the tension of him being brought to the hospital. A short cold open that is intense and fades to black at the end, where we then get a usual run of the mill gunbarrel. Similar to CR, except the gunbarrel isn't part of the scene or anything.

CR's perfect weaving of GB to the storyline is so unique that the same magic won't work in any forthcoming Bond movies.

Unless the franchise reboots again. -_-
  • Finally, my question regarding the gun barrel is answered. Thank you !
  • Dear Ralph

Personally, the GB is not that important to me. I really didn’t care enough to pay too much attention. Honestly, I liked it at the end of the film.
    Basically, it’s the same as the other 20 films. Happy? Dots across the screen. Binder design. Blood drips down. Then it fades out and the Bond theme stops and Newman’s rather loud score begins whilst the words: ‘The Dead are Alive’ fill the screen. Happy?!?

Thanks.
  • I'm just really excited to see the binder design used again!
  • Same here, and to get the thrill off it opening the film.
    It's been too long since having one's spine tingle at the opening of a Bond film. I feel sorry for anyone who does not get an adrenaline rush from the GB at the beginning of a Bond film. It's addictive after watching 007 films in theaters for fifty years.