Spectre Gunbarrel ***Spoilers***

1394042444553

Comments

  • Can't say I was a fan of the gunbarrel. The design was nice but I didn't like the lack of animation like in the Brosnan era. Also didn't like how the - while fantastic music - wasn't in sync like it should be. The du du duuun bit (the extent of my musical knowledge) should come in with the white dots.

    Yes, it should. That's what I hated about the Skyfall Gunbarrel. Well, one of the things. It was totally out of sync with the score.
  • Posts: 3,157
    Can't say I was a fan of the gunbarrel. The design was nice but I didn't like the lack of animation like in the Brosnan era. Also didn't like how the - while fantastic music - wasn't in sync like it should be. The du du duuun bit (the extent of my musical knowledge) should come in with the white dots.

    I think that's because they tried to combine the two types of cue. If you'd have had that bit over the dots you'd have to lose the TND/TWINE-style dun-dun-dudu after the shot
  • Posts: 250
    Wait, the morse code doesn't come with the dots?

    Jesus, they still can't get it right.
  • antovolk wrote: »
    Can't say I was a fan of the gunbarrel. The design was nice but I didn't like the lack of animation like in the Brosnan era. Also didn't like how the - while fantastic music - wasn't in sync like it should be. The du du duuun bit (the extent of my musical knowledge) should come in with the white dots.

    I think that's because they tried to combine the two types of cue. If you'd have had that bit over the dots you'd have to lose the TND/TWINE-style dun-dun-dudu after the shot

    I loathe that cue. It's why I hated David Arnold's Gunbarrel scores. I just don't get what's so difficult about it. There's a sequence made by a fan on this very thread that nails it. How can a fan nail it and the pros cant? Mystifying.
  • Posts: 16
    It is close to a static version of the Brosnan Gunbarrell (Golden Eye). Inspired by Binder, but not his photograph.
  • Posts: 3,157
    FourDot wrote: »
    Wait, the morse code doesn't come with the dots?

    Jesus, they still can't get it right.

    No, that comes before the dots, and then the dots onwards it's a TWINE/TND-style cue.
  • antovolk wrote: »
    FourDot wrote: »
    Wait, the morse code doesn't come with the dots?

    Jesus, they still can't get it right.

    No, that comes before the dots, and then the dots onwards it's a TWINE/TND-style cue.

    Sounds like an over complicated mess.
  • Posts: 1,068
    Well. I loved the gunbarrel and thought DC's pose was excellent and not too hammy. It felt brisk and businesslike and not dragged out unnecessarily. Set thew whole tone after the Columbia fanfare
  • Brisk and businesslike eh? Everything that made the Skyfall Gunbarrel a complete flop.
  • Posts: 1,068
    What do you want it to do; bounce about like pong or be all flabby and drag?
  • No.

    I want it to be like this...

    https://youtu.be/aSl45NhEfZo
  • Posts: 1,909
    antovolk wrote: »
    FourDot wrote: »
    Wait, the morse code doesn't come with the dots?

    Jesus, they still can't get it right.

    No, that comes before the dots, and then the dots onwards it's a TWINE/TND-style cue.

    I don't see a problem with those cues. I wish the series had more gunbarrel cues like TND & TWINE had
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Posts: 4,116
    Fitzochris wrote: »
    No.

    I want it to be like this...

    https://youtu.be/aSl45NhEfZo

    There is a better one than that on there too. That one is just ok to me. Sorry just my opinion.

    Anxious to see the SP one everyone that has seen it seems to like it.

  • fjdinardo wrote: »
    antovolk wrote: »
    FourDot wrote: »
    Wait, the morse code doesn't come with the dots?

    Jesus, they still can't get it right.

    No, that comes before the dots, and then the dots onwards it's a TWINE/TND-style cue.

    I don't see a problem with those cues. I wish the series had more gunbarrel cues like TND & TWINE had

    Wow. Really, wow.

    Those cues effectively put a full stop on the gunbarrel. The gunbarrel should always be a segueway into the movie and it's score should reflect that.

    To be honest, it hasn't been done right since The Living Daylights. Goldeneye and Die Another Day came close but failed to grasp that cigar.

    Sounds like Spectre ain't gonna be smoking one either, as far as the gunbarrel is concerned.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython The Black Lodge
    Posts: 5,442
    This sounds like TSWLM, is that close?
  • Posts: 1,552
    @Fitzochris Not liking the way you're pushing your views onto others. Look up "Subjective"
  • Posts: 250
    Fitzochris wrote: »
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    antovolk wrote: »
    FourDot wrote: »
    Wait, the morse code doesn't come with the dots?

    Jesus, they still can't get it right.

    No, that comes before the dots, and then the dots onwards it's a TWINE/TND-style cue.

    I don't see a problem with those cues. I wish the series had more gunbarrel cues like TND & TWINE had

    Wow. Really, wow.

    Those cues effectively put a full stop on the gunbarrel. The gunbarrel should always be a segueway into the movie and it's score should reflect that.

    To be honest, it hasn't been done right since The Living Daylights. Goldeneye and Die Another Day came close but failed to grasp that cigar.

    Sounds like Spectre ain't gonna be smoking one either, as far as the gunbarrel is concerned.

    LTK's is the best so can't go with you there.

  • Posts: 1,909
    Fitzochris wrote: »
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    antovolk wrote: »
    FourDot wrote: »
    Wait, the morse code doesn't come with the dots?

    Jesus, they still can't get it right.

    No, that comes before the dots, and then the dots onwards it's a TWINE/TND-style cue.

    I don't see a problem with those cues. I wish the series had more gunbarrel cues like TND & TWINE had

    Wow. Really, wow.

    Those cues effectively put a full stop on the gunbarrel. The gunbarrel should always be a segueway into the movie and it's score should reflect that.

    To be honest, it hasn't been done right since The Living Daylights. Goldeneye and Die Another Day came close but failed to grasp that cigar.

    Sounds like Spectre ain't gonna be smoking one either, as far as the gunbarrel is concerned.

    I don't care about the cues TBH. Just happy gunbarrel is back at the start
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Posts: 4,116
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    Fitzochris wrote: »
    t
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    antovolk wrote: »
    FourDot wrote: »
    Wait, the morse code doesn't come with the dots?

    Jesus, they still can't get it right.

    No, that comes before the dots, and then the dots onwards it's a TWINE/TND-style cue.

    I don't see a problem with those cues. I wish the series had more gunbarrel cues like TND & TWINE had

    Wow. Really, wow.

    Those cues effectively put a full stop on the gunbarrel. The gunbarrel should always be a segueway into the movie and it's score should reflect that.

    To be honest, it hasn't been done right since The Living Daylights. Goldeneye and Die Another Day came close but failed to grasp that cigar.

    Sounds like Spectre ain't gonna be smoking one either, as far as the gunbarrel is concerned.

    I don't care about the cues TBH. Just happy gunbarrel is back at the start

    I haven't see it yet but me too. I agree.

  • Agree with @FourDot that LTK's gunbarrel is the best of the series. Kamen nails it on his one and only time.
  • Posts: 1,068
    Is there really any other film series that can indulge such an amazing start without appearing to be a pastiche / parody of Bond. I think as Bond fans we're damned lucky. Moreso that SP's first act gave goosebumps and has proper Bond is back for business.

    Why does everyone have to try and pick fault and point score. I really don't see it does any good?
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython The Black Lodge
    Posts: 5,442
    We all have our ideal Bond gun barrel. Given it's been 13 years since we had a film open with one, I think there was much more anticipation for this one, especially after the mixed reception of the last two. CR's placement was a fun idea that I totally went for. I understood the reason QOS did it, but didn't think it was very necessary. With SF, not at all necessary, so it's a relief just to have it back in the beginning like it should have for the past two films.
  • Posts: 250
    SF would have had it at the front had QoS done so, but it's easier to stomach when you take in Mendes's logistics, i.e. you don't know you're in Istanbul until that wonderful reveal shot.
  • Posts: 13,174
    So just curious...the Da-Da- Dunnn Da-Da- Dunn is BEFORE the dots? Is it during the MGM/Columbia logos then? Hmm ...interesting. Not that I'm complaining. I'm so happy the gunbarrel is back at the beginning I joked with a friend I wouldn't care if they screwed up the music and accidentally put the Dukes Of Hazzard theme during the sequence. From what it sounds it's a TWINE style cue with the traditional white dots cue prior. Either way- can't wait to see this one.
  • Posts: 13,174
    Oops. Okay I posted my last comment before scrolling back and actually reading the other comments. The GB music was pretty well described in an earlier post. Also those pics look great! The blood looks like Binder blood!
  • Posts: 16
    what do you guys mean when you say "cue"?
  • Posts: 5,745
    I'm perfectly happy with the gunbarrel pictured.

    That static shot (the one without blood, many many thanks btw) is simply fantastic to see.

    Also the shot above from the PTS looks absolutely 50s Hitchcock. It's blowing my mind. I huffed out loud with excitement - nothing else from the promotional campaign has made me do that.

    Thanks very much everybody, fantastic. Roll on.. November 6th! I just found out there isn't a press screening near me :/
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 13,174
    ra7968 wrote: »
    what do you guys mean when you say "cue"?
    Specific section of the Bond music. There's probably a better word for it than cue.

  • Posts: 5,745
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    ra7968 wrote: »
    what do you guys mean when you say "cue"?
    Specific section of the Bond music. There's probably a better word for it than cue.

    Riff
  • Posts: 13,174
    JWESTBROOK wrote: »
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    ra7968 wrote: »
    what do you guys mean when you say "cue"?
    Specific section of the Bond music. There's probably a better word for it than cue.

    Riff

    Thanks. Speaking of which, and probably the wrong thread to ask, but does the traditionally guitar plucked melody make an appearance in the film?

Sign In or Register to comment.