Daniel Craig says he doesn't want to do another Bond; Spectre may be his last

1293031323335»

Comments

• Pajan005Pajan005 Stockholm, Sweden
    @Germanlady you are most welcome, mate :)

I'm surprised I was first to post it. I'm used to it always being someone who's really fast at keeping us informed of any new content here : )
    As part of my Bond countdown marathon I've just watched the making of Thunderball documentary in which Guy Hamilton talks of turning that film down "I was drained of ideas. I felt I had nothing to contribute until I'd recharged my batteries" so it's rather unfair to suggest Daniel Craig is being disrespectful to the franchise for feeling the exact same thing after a gruelling eight month shoot.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    boldfinger wrote: »
    Do I get this right, you guys filled 10 pages within one or two days with nothing new substantial on the topic that is described in the title of this thread?

Wellllll... :P

bondjames wrote: »
    I'm a DC fan, but I really had not heard of him before Bond. I had seen Tomb Raider and he wasn't memorable in that (I preferred Butler in the 2nd one quite frankly, and actually remembered him more) and I had seen Munich too, but again he wasn't all that memorable there either.

So Bond did indeed put him on the map with a lot of people, at least outside England.

I have a feeling post-Bond that he will go back to smaller fare, and not be all that mainstream. Just a feeling I have. The only other 'franchise' he has at the moment is the excellent Girl with the Dragon Tattoo line....and that hasn't been going anywhere, sadly.

Bond is so not DC when you think about it.....and unfortunately, he's letting everyone know that (perhaps unintentionally) slowly but surely in drips and drabs in his interviews. Hollywood can be such a cruel place sometimes (including the paparazzi).

I certainly expect he'll go back to smaller films after Bond (I'd be surprised if he didn't), and I'd imagine that's what he'd want to do anyway. Smaller films can be a good place to be for many reasons, and he won't be needing the money, either, of course.

I don't think it's unfortunate people know he's not actually Bond-like himself. Nobody should think actors are like their characters, anyway. It's called acting for a reason.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited October 2015 Posts: 23,883
    Tuulia wrote: »
    I'm a DC fan, but I really had not heard of him before Bond. I had seen Tomb Raider and he wasn't memorable in that (I preferred Butler in the 2nd one quite frankly, and actually remembered him more) and I had seen Munich too, but again he wasn't all that memorable there either.

So Bond did indeed put him on the map with a lot of people, at least outside England.

I have a feeling post-Bond that he will go back to smaller fare, and not be all that mainstream. Just a feeling I have. The only other 'franchise' he has at the moment is the excellent Girl with the Dragon Tattoo line....and that hasn't been going anywhere, sadly.

Bond is so not DC when you think about it.....and unfortunately, he's letting everyone know that (perhaps unintentionally) slowly but surely in drips and drabs in his interviews. Hollywood can be such a cruel place sometimes (including the paparazzi).

I certainly expect he'll go back to smaller films after Bond (I'd be surprised if he didn't), and I'd imagine that's what he'd want to do anyway. Smaller films can be a good place to be for many reasons, and he won't be needing the money, either, of course.

I don't think it's unfortunate people know he's not actually Bond-like himself. Nobody should think actors are like their characters, anyway. It's called acting for a reason.

@Tuulia, I didn't mean he's not like Bond himself (that's true though), but rather that the Bond role is so not his style......in the sense that he is an actor who would probably naturally gravitate to so many other roles rather than Bond.

He's sort of acting against type with the James Bond role in a big way (in relation to the kind of roles he normally takes). It's also very high profile and he's generally a low profile sort of actor.....yet he has been extraordinarily successful with it to date (both critically and financially). An oxymoron in a way.

The recent interviews.....actually all of them over time.....have sort of drawn attention to this....i.e. that he is basically an indie style character actor in a movie star's role.

That's not a bad thing, but the paparazzi are unforgiving because they probably want a 'movie star' type in this role who plays to their vanities and courts the press......particularly the US media.
    I'm not a Craig fan, more a Connery purist, with a side of Laz, and OK with Dalton when he's not making goo goo eyes on Ferris wheel.
    Not much of a Broz or Rog fan. They both move like farm animals (Rog like slow Ox, and Broz like smaller more nimble beast, like fox running around in henhouse), but I do like their films, especially the Rog films.
    But with SP looking to be a potentially great Bond film, I may be coming around.
    That's all I've asked that he cut back the angst and just enjoy playing 007.
    We may get that with SP.
    If the movie is smash hit, which I'm sure it will be then Dan will be amped to come back.
    I figure he's good for one more film, more likely two.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Cowley wrote: »
    As part of my Bond countdown marathon I've just watched the making of Thunderball documentary in which Guy Hamilton talks of turning that film down "I was drained of ideas. I felt I had nothing to contribute until I'd recharged my batteries" so it's rather unfair to suggest Daniel Craig is being disrespectful to the franchise for feeling the exact same thing after a gruelling eight month shoot.

Hamilton didn't threaten to cut wrists if he had to direct another Bond.

Why does disliking Craig mean that Brosnan is @aspie's favourite? I don't like Craig, and Brosnan is not my favourite.

Because I have seen it time and time again. Those unaccepting of Craig of Bond will jump on the band wagon when the opportunity arises to criticise him either as Bond, person or actor. I tend to find those same people are those who are the ones who wanted more Brosnan, didn't want a reboot or dont feel Craig has right look for Bond and can't wait for him to go in the hope they get what they call a "Bondonian" looking actor. It's pathetic the guy said nothing wrong in that interview, and cares what happens to the franchise after he leaves but because he doesn't speak like a public school boy he gets comments from mugs who by what the daily mail print. Shocking uneducated shameful behaviour of so called fans, some of the keyboard terrorists on here need to get their facts right and not let reading tabloids own take sway their opinion for them.

Dalton is my favorite. I thought he captured Fleming's Bond more than any other actor. SirHilary, you are one serious dude. Lighten up.
    Tuulia wrote: »

@Tuulia, I didn't mean he's not like Bond himself (that's true though), but rather that the Bond role is so not his style......in the sense that he is an actor who would probably naturally gravitate to so many other roles rather than Bond.

He's sort of acting against type with the James Bond role in a big way (in relation to the kind of roles he normally takes). It's also very high profile and he's generally a low profile sort of actor.....yet he has been extraordinarily successful with it to date (both critically and financially). An oxymoron in a way.

The recent interviews.....actually all of them over time.....have sort of drawn attention to this....i.e. that he is basically an indie style character actor in a movie star's role.

That's not a bad thing, but the paparazzi are unforgiving because they probably want a 'movie star' type in this role who plays to their vanities and courts the press......particularly the US media.

Ah, ok, yes, I see...

Well, I'd say actors should do very different kinds of roles and challenge themselves in many other kinds of ways with their jobs. He has done that by taking the Bond role in the first place as well and doing with it what he has done. The major difference with this role compared to others he has done is the size - with which comes the amount of time it takes - one could do several smaller movies in the time it takes to do one Bond movie - so the long, exhausting shoots. And with the size also comes far more promotional work, more media attention, more fan attention, paparazzi, etc. The role in itself is just a role, and he approaches is as he would other roles. The difference is all the other stuff.

I don't think he's acting against type at all - not in the sense that I understand that expression and have seen it used before, anyway. He didn't have a certain "type" before this he'd now be acting against. The size of the beast is vastly different, of course, and that has been tough on him, apparently. Like I said before, actors react differently to changed circumstances, and he has been sort of fighting against the beast all the way, which doesn't really help his situation, but he doesn't seem to be able to relax about it. Like I also said before I suppose the Bond beast might be tougher than other big ones, so he may have more to handle than other actors in big franchise leading roles, I don't really know.

I agree with your description of him as "an indie style character actor in a movie star's role". He has simply refused the movie star bit, really, like some others have, and remained the actor and person he was before - which, I think, is how it should be. Losing oneself is just the stupidest and most unfortunate thing that can happen to anyone who becomes rich and famous.

Of course, paparazzi and tabloids and the internet are unforgiving. As unpleasant and unfortunate as that might be... ultimately it is unimportant.

• Thunderball007Thunderball007 United States
    edited October 2015 Posts: 306
    Germanlady wrote: »
    Getting away from it all, doing what probably gives him perspective, of what is important.

Daniel in Cyprus for Unmass

12115886_895596457190406_4423267251651444511_n_zpspzwmgg2e.jpg

12115697_895596570523728_1892528882307441426_n_zpsds5y9rwb.jpg

12107101_895596550523730_8741105769021420786_n_zpsh7ihrk8s.jpg

12107860_895596733857045_2006097211913476404_n_zpsbfroum3c.jpg

That Daniel Craig what a horrible, money orientated diva eh!. Hope those who slated the guy feel pretty bad that all the time they were doing so he was out their in landmine field raising awareness. Wonder how the Daily Mail will spin this story probably a headline of DANIEL CRAIG LAYS DOWN LANDMINE IN LATEST SUICIDE ATTEMPT.

LOL!!! =))
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    edited October 2015 Posts: 2,138
    Why does disliking Craig mean that Brosnan is @aspie's favourite? I don't like Craig, and Brosnan is not my favourite.

Because I have seen it time and time again. Those unaccepting of Craig of Bond will jump on the band wagon when the opportunity arises to criticise him either as Bond, person or actor. I tend to find those same people are those who are the ones who wanted more Brosnan, didn't want a reboot or dont feel Craig has right look for Bond and can't wait for him to go in the hope they get what they call a "Bondonian" looking actor. It's pathetic the guy said nothing wrong in that interview, and cares what happens to the franchise after he leaves but because he doesn't speak like a public school boy he gets comments from mugs who by what the daily mail print. Shocking uneducated shameful behaviour of so called fans, some of the keyboard terrorists on here need to get their facts right and not let reading tabloids own take sway their opinion for them.

I don't like Craig's era, but if his successor were blonde, I would him the same chance(s) that I gave Craig. I'm not as rigid on the hair colour. So long as it isn't blue or green (or something like that), I don't really care whether the next Bond has black, brown, blonde or ginger hair.

I didn't like Lazenby or Dalton in the role. They have their moments. But I love all the films. I don't not like any Bond era

Dalton 's theatre background meant he over acted on screen. In his films I think he also had the weakest supporting cast l. I don't dislike anyone's tenure. Connery is regarded by many as the greatest Bond. Craig however is the best actor who took on the role.

What annoys me is the spoilt brat mentality when people criticise EON and Dan when really they have brought in Oscar winning or nominated directors. Turned Bond from what had become a cliché joke to serious darks spy thrillers. And that's why Bond has its greatest ever global audience. I come across so many new fans who love Dan in the role, but have no time for what became before. The films story stands up on there own without flooding them with Gadgets, cheesy puns and cramming in as many trophy women for Bond. But you confirmed my point. You came on here having a go at Craig over a quote said in humour and taken out of context. You let the tabloid headlines drive your opinion. If you read back, you can see a video from Time Out and what was said and the tone. I have never known a Bond actor who's whole tenure has been about who will be the next Bond. Elba, Damien Lewis, Hardy and everyone linked to the role by the press have spoken to the press expressing a desire to take over. When really they should have shown a bit more respect by saying "Dan is Bond, he does a great job it would be wrong to comment". And I agree that Dan doesn't make it easy by not commiting to a return after each film, however to do so compromises your ability to negotiate terms, It's clear Dan also wants to ensure the correct director on each project is someone he wants to work with so it's not possible to commit right after a film.

• AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    edited October 2015 Posts: 1,727
    Dalton 's theatre background meant he over acted on screen. In his films I think he also had the weakest supporting cast l. I don't dislike anyone's tenure. Connery is regarded by many as the greatest Bond. Craig however is the best actor who took on the role.

Although I don't entirely agree he overacted, this is something many don't realize - on stage you have to overemphasize otherwise your performance will be missed by those viewing it from anywhere between 10-40 metres away.
    A camera is often right up-close, so a performance needs to be far more nuanced.

Having said that I do agree that DC is the best pure cinema actor to be 007 - he never overacts or underplays the role - quite simply the guy is just pure quality and many don't notice it because he makes it look SO easy.

Bond fans don't know how good they have it with Dan in the role... I remember thinking 10 years ago when he was announced - "Thank goodness we have a quality actor now"
    Haven't been on here in a while. Whats the latest on Craigs Bond status? Whats he saying now?
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    OK folks, I am closing this thread. It will still exist for reference, but could you continue the discussion in the following thread which has been slightly re-named.

http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/10843/bond-25-production-diary-will-daniel-craig-return-for-bond-25#latest

That way we haven't got two identical discussions going on.
This discussion has been closed.