Daniel Craig says he doesn't want to do another Bond; Spectre may be his last

Comments

You really feel the need to quote YOURSELF? WOW, you are afraid, someone might miss your ******?
  • RC7RC7
    Germanlady wrote: »
    You really feel the need to quote YOURSELF? WOW, you are afraid, someone might miss your ******?

The guy is delusional and clearly hasn't read any of the counter comments on this thread. Perhaps he should record a podcast and listen to the sound of his own voice on repeat.
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 725
    To be fair what is disturbing to me is why there were two negative quotes in the TO print media, and only reasonable comments from Craig about the same issues in the TO video, similar to comments in other media. Someone noted the interviews were done by two different TO writers. The print TO guy had made some negative comments about Craig re his attitude and comments which strangely didn't show up for the same type of questions in the video interview. Maybe there is some agenda going on by this print guy and Craig was responding to some loaded questions, particularly about the money. Given the bashing Craig has taken in a ton of articles, hopefully we will hear Craig's and/or EON's side to this story.

But to those who keep posting that some of us are engaging in Craig bashing, that is just wrong. Most of us are fans of Craig's Bond, and we are simply noting our dismay at a story that is getting him seriously trashed. It will very likely cost him still more bashing in the press or even ding the film if it doesn't get great reviews. SP has had no where near the easy road to BO glory that SF had. Lots of this fretting is because we are down to the wire and we have yet to a hear anything about how well the film turned out. My concern for SP has always been that, unlike SF, it has had some serious issues to overcome, and it didn't need any new ones.
    TripAces wrote: »
    Cruise is by far the most unfairly maligned actor in the business.

It wasn't the couch jumping episode (though this didn't help matters); it was the anti-depressant tirade he went on, calling out Brooke Shields for taking them for post-partum depression. The media came down hard on him over that. Cruise issues a heart-felt apology (which Shields accepted) but the damage was done, for some reason. And then there are the unsubstantiated rumors about his religious beliefs.

But note that Cruise has NEVER been...

busted for drugs or a DUI;
    arrested;
    caught going off on cast and crew;
    rude toward fans, even when he was squirted with water at a premiere event;
    in a fight with paparazzi.

In general, Cruise has been a pretty good guy. Not one of his ex-wives has ever had a bad word to say about him, and Nicole has even kept working with him (as a producer).

But I know several people who can't stand him, and it all comes down to the religion and the Brooke Shields comment, and I can't fathom so much distaste over such little offense.

Off topic but Cruise is an all-around good guy by the sound of things. If anyone is interested in him, I recommend giving his Nerdist podcast episode a listen. The man is insanely interesting and hearing how he treats his crew, as well as his love for cinema (he tries to watch one new movie a day, every day, if memory serves or something along those lines) is mind-blowing.

Knowing those things is the only reason I still go to the cinema to see the Mission: Impossible films instead of renting them.
    This fanbond123 guy sounds like the president of the CraigNotBond site.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    edited October 2015 Posts: 2,138
    km16 wrote: »
    https://youtube.com/watch?t=54&v=iPVPIUTdOHY

Oh look, a new video interview by TimeOut with DC and since it's a video, nothing can be taken out of context this time.

Are you done with Bond?
    No, I've no idea. I mean literally we finished this a week ago so I'm just... I'm thinking about a holiday, I'm thinking about spending time with my family and reminding my friends that I exist and beyond that, I don't know. I'm not thinking about any work at the moment.

Who should be next?
    Anybody could. I mean, it's just... I don't really give a sh--, quite frankly, so if you're kind've asking me to make a comment on it, I don't care as long as they don't fu-- it up is all I care about. So anybody can play it if they're the right person for the job, they can do it.

Watch him as he's saying that last quote. He's not angry, he's not being snarky, he's being open and honest. He cares about his tenure. Beyond that, he's done just like the rest of the actors. It's out of his hands, he has no say and he knows that. It's best not to think about it beyond that point of retirement.

Had to repost for all those who let the daily rags make their mind up for them and jumped on the guys back. Really shows how misquoted the written version quoted in the press was. Suspect Time Out will print a retraction and an apology or quite simply they'll be cut out of future PR for the films. For me this is Time Outs mess to fix. Shocking.

Here's an example of the retarded crap the actors get asked. Waltz handled it we'll. But you get 5 minute slots at these things and the actors are talking to 15 to 20 individual media outlets per sitting. Why does this Douche use that time to ask "We're you told you would be in the trailer?" Seriously?

• edited October 2015 Posts: 1,661
    I didn't quote myself, I quoted the New York Post item! I accidentally posted my post twice - hence the deletion. Back on topic:

Craig said there were days on the shoot he was too tired. How the heck is gonna be able to do Bond 25 then? Won't he be three years older 'tired' by then? Perhaps he is getting too old for Bond films - they've taken their toil? A new guy would be less tired! This seems a legitimate reason to recast.

• edited October 2015 Posts: 2,081
    TripAces wrote: »
    Cruise is by far the most unfairly maligned actor in the business.

It wasn't the couch jumping episode (though this didn't help matters); it was the anti-depressant tirade he went on, calling out Brooke Shields for taking them for post-partum depression. The media came down hard on him over that. Cruise issues a heart-felt apology (which Shields accepted) but the damage was done, for some reason. And then there are the unsubstantiated rumors about his religious beliefs.

But note that Cruise has NEVER been...

busted for drugs or a DUI;
    arrested;
    caught going off on cast and crew;
    rude toward fans, even when he was squirted with water at a premiere event;
    in a fight with paparazzi.

In general, Cruise has been a pretty good guy. Not one of his ex-wives has ever had a bad word to say about him, and Nicole has even kept working with him (as a producer).

But I know several people who can't stand him, and it all comes down to the religion and the Brooke Shields comment, and I can't fathom so much distaste over such little offense.

Personally I have nothing against the guy. I probably don't have anything much against any other actor, either. I like some more than others, obviously, but I can't say I dislike any as people. I know too little about most for that and I never condemn anyone over some minor issue or rumor if I know practically nothing about the person. I also don't actively follow all sorts of celebrity news and rumors and am mostly happily ignorant (like, about that Bieber guy, for instance).

I was laughing at the comment made on Cruise, but didn't mean that as an attack. To me he comes off a bit weird and the scientology stuff and his deep involvement with it and its leader is creepy to me - if you've seen Going Clear, then you know what I mean - and it actually makes me feel sorry for him. I didn't even remember any comment about Brooke Shields, (have never heard/read his comment, nor controversy on it, nor his apology, but remembered reading some reference to it when you mentioned it), but I do feel uncomfortable with anyone saying that that type of medication is not okay (the scientology view apparently), having a couple of friends who need some daily. I get an impression of a carefully constructed creation with Cruise, and I have no idea who the actual person is. I don't dislike him, though, and for all I know he might be a nice chap. I certainly have no reason to think he's a bad person in some way. If I was more interested in his work I'm sure I'd pay more attention, and would have a better idea.

In any case, I just prefer actors with whom I don't get the impression of a constructed image, who just seem to be who they are, and are really down to earth, with no movie star stuff or Hollywood trappings. Actors not interested in being movie stars. The English seem to be the best at that, incidentally, people like Craig, Bale and Hardy. Just generally easy to get along with and often hilarious. (Well, Craig and Bale are know for their ability to make people feel comfortable as well as to make them laugh, while Hardy might be a bit, um, "difficult" at times, he even says so himself, but on the other hand... well, never mind, off topic, plus I'll need to see more comments from people who have worked with him anyway...)

---

I enjoyed the GQ article. :)

Btw, knowing Craig would (presumably) rather not do the late night talk show stuff... (especially, I would imagine, the US ones) does he absolutely have to do them? Not everyone does those things, even with big franchises and huge productions and whatnot. While I'm sure the studios would always prefer the actors to do them, I presume they can't force the actors to go to any damned thing. So whose call is it, at what stage is it decided (when signing the contract to appear in the film? later?) and is it obligatory with Bond - and if it is, is it because of EON or studio, or...? I assume somebody here knows?
  • Interesting tidbit, here...

DANIEL CRAIG TOLD TO 'SHUT UP AND STOP BASHING JAMES BOND'

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebritynews/11927517/Daniel-Craig-told-to-shut-up-and-stop-bashing-James-Bond.html
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Interesting tidbit, here...

DANIEL CRAIG TOLD TO 'SHUT UP AND STOP BASHING JAMES BOND'

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebritynews/11927517/Daniel-Craig-told-to-shut-up-and-stop-bashing-James-Bond.html

My lawyers are on standby just in case I get blamed for writing that article.
  • ThomasCrown76ThomasCrown76 Augusta, ks
    He wasn't bashing bond. Jesus Christ, these people are beyond stupid
  • Yawn. Who cares? Every week there's a different actor "in hot water" over comments they made during promotion. Couple of weeks ago it was Matt Damon, then Emily Blunt, now Daniel Craig. In a few days it'll be someone else's turn to make an OMG OUTRAGEOUS comment.
    This thread has got to 33 pages and I think the most pertinent point is Craig's admission he was very tired filming some of SPECTRE.

His exact words:
    "there were days on this I was f'king out of my mind with tiredness"

This is the most obvious warning sign that

A) he has a legitimate reason NOT to want to do another Bond film

B) it is a legitimate reason why EON/Sony would want a younger, LESS TIRED, actor in the role for Bond 25.

People just saying "he will do another" -well, if he is out of mind with tiredness now, why would he be LESS TIRED in three years time? He will be three years older. So fans should start considering this! It's patently obvious Craig has little/no desire for more Bond, most likely due to his age and the long nature of the filming schedule.

Sure, if they give him 30 million for Bond 25 he might do it but that doesn't mean he will be any less tired or enjoy the process in making the film. If that's what all Bond fans want, good for you. I'd rather have a younger, less tired actor in the role. And one that doesn't need to use the f word in every other sentence when doing printed interviews.

• ThomasCrown76ThomasCrown76 Augusta, ks
    edited October 2015 Posts: 757
    Well,

Mod edit: f-bomb removed, swearing is against the rules.
    smitty wrote: »
    This fanbond123 guy sounds like the president of the CraigNotBond site.

:))

He wasn't bashing bond. Jesus Christ, these people are beyond stupid

Indeed.

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    What is with the fear mongering around here? SPECTRE is going to be a smash hit. What are people so worried about? It's a movie not an election or race. Craig said he's going to fulfill his contract meaning he'll do another one. Is it set in stone? No. But Sony doesn't have a say in anything. It's EON's baby.
    Murdock wrote: »
    What are people so worried about? It's a movie not an election or race.

You're right it's ridiculous. I think the internet age and social media must account for some of it with the constant need to have click-bait articles to provide news and gossip throughout the day when in fact it doesn't really exist. Consequently this interview has been milked for all its worth.
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 4,622
    I am not a fan of the Craig Bond. Main beef is all the character drama from movie to movie.
    However I do think each actor should do 6 movies, just like Sean.
    So I grant Craig, two more films please, but no more Mendes. Just a couple of exciting Bond On Mission films to round off the Craig era, and he can take his place with Sean and Rog as impactful full tenure Bond actors.
    And quite happy if he just does the films for the money at this stage. Surely he can now happily pocket the fat cheque and put to work the character that he has developed.
    For England Dan! For England!
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    If that Craig interview can summon end-of-the-world comments for over 33 pages, what will it be like when there's a real problem for the franchise? If mi6 community had existed in 1969 when Lazenby said he'd quit after OHMSS it would have imploded on itself due to endless doom and gloom reactions.
  • RC7RC7
    edited October 2015 Posts: 10,512
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    This thread has got to 33 pages and I think the most pertinent point is Craig's admission he was very tired filming some of SPECTRE.

His exact words:
    "there were days on this I was f'king out of my mind with tiredness"

This is the most obvious warning sign that

A) he has a legitimate reason NOT to want to do another Bond film

B) it is a legitimate reason why EON/Sony would want a younger, LESS TIRED, actor in the role for Bond 25.

People just saying "he will do another" -well, if he is out of mind with tiredness now, why would he be LESS TIRED in three years time? He will be three years older. So fans should start considering this! It's patently obvious Craig has little/no desire for more Bond, most likely due to his age and the long nature of the filming schedule.

Sure, if they give him 30 million for Bond 25 he might do it but that doesn't mean he will be any less tired or enjoy the process in making the film. If that's what all Bond fans want, good for you. I'd rather have a younger, less tired actor in the role. And one that doesn't need to use the f word in every other sentence when doing printed interviews.

Craig's Bond has confronted the idea of 'ageing' head on, so it's not a problem. He could play it until he's 60 if he wants. The stories service his character development so no need to worry. Sit back and enjoy SP and then B25.

Well said Naomie!

Bond star plays down Craig quit quote

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-34514701

Daniel Craig was "just being sarcastic" when he said he wanted to "move on" from playing James Bond, according to his co-star Naomie Harris.
    "Daniel lives and breathes Bond," said the actress, who will reprise her role as Moneypenny in the new film Spectre, which comes out later this month.
    Time Out magazine recently quoted Craig as saying he would "rather slash [his] wrists" than make a fifth Bond film.
    Harris, though, said the actor's words had been "blown out of proportion".
    "It was not as he intended it," she told BBC News, claiming her co-star's "sense of humour… doesn't come across particularly well in print".
    Speaking at a promotional event for technology that features in Sam Mendes' film, she continued: "He's so dedicated to his craft and he loves playing Bond.
    "It's easy to take something that someone says in passing and blow it completely out of proportion. I think that's what's happened here, so I don't really believe those comments at all."

DTD
    Germanlady wrote: »
    Well said Naomie!

Bond star plays down Craig quit quote

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-34514701

Daniel Craig was "just being sarcastic" when he said he wanted to "move on" from playing James Bond, according to his co-star Naomie Harris.
    "Daniel lives and breathes Bond," said the actress, who will reprise her role as Moneypenny in the new film Spectre, which comes out later this month.
    Time Out magazine recently quoted Craig as saying he would "rather slash [his] wrists" than make a fifth Bond film.
    Harris, though, said the actor's words had been "blown out of proportion".
    "It was not as he intended it," she told BBC News, claiming her co-star's "sense of humour… doesn't come across particularly well in print".

Well said, indeed.

That's what I said all the time.
    After 10 years everyone should know Craig's sense of humour and his way of getting through an interview.
    Oh, its not that they don't know better. They KNOW! But if they can twist words for their own good, they will do it. Never mind, what shitstorn goes with it.The more, the better. This is, what he hates so much and this is, what he gave them on a silver tableau. There lays his fault. And this is, what he pays the price for now.
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    edited October 2015 Posts: 1,727
    That GQ interview was, as usual, pretty boring. All DC really does during interviews is show how much of a 'man of the people' he is by being blasé about fame and swearing a lot. Russell Crowe does it too, but it comes accross as genuine - with Dan is feels very uneasy and defensive.

Thank goodness Dan is a better actor than conversationalist.
    AceHole wrote: »
    That GQ interview was, as usual, pretty boring. All DC really does during interviews is show how much of a 'man of the people' he is by being blasé about fame and swearing a lot. Russell Crowe does it too, but it comes accross as genuine - with Dan is feels very uneasy and defensive.

Thank goodness Dan is a better actor than conversationalist.

That last quote sums up exactly what is the issue here. Dan is a great Bond imo but in interviews his sarcasm does not always get taken for what it is. Humor. Dry humor.

Let's let his acting and SP do the real talking. Not some dumb, out of context quote he made literally days after finishing a grueling 7 month shoot. In a years time, whether SP is a classic or not, it's the film that will be remembered. It's Bond after all! It's bigger than a quote or an interview by any of the Bonds.

He could play it until he's 60 if he wants.

Oh boy. Sigh.

He said he was so tired making SPECTRE. How can he play the role to 60 if he was out of his mind with tiredness age 47?

With respect, don't you read the interviews? I dunno, try and take in what he says!
    All DC really does during interviews is show how much of a 'man of the people' he is by being blasé about fame and swearing a lot.

Yeah. People can take this as an anti-Craig remark but it's how I feel - in printed interviews he is an awful spokesperson for the role. Zero class. Okay, we can all swear but he is vulgar to the extreme. Just so unnecessary. I don't think he promotes the role well but just my opinion. I think he's terrible. All the f words and dismissive attitude to everything. People can hate me for saying that, just how I feel! Perhaps the next Bond actor can be a little more polite in interviews!
  • RC7RC7
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    He could play it until he's 60 if he wants.

Oh boy. Sigh.

He said he was so tired making SPECTRE. How can he play the role to 60 if he was out of his mind with tiredness age 47?

With respect, don't you read the interviews? I dunno, try and take in what he says!
    All DC really does during interviews is show how much of a 'man of the people' he is by being blasé about fame and swearing a lot.

Yeah. People can take this as an anti-Craig remark but it's how I feel - in printed interviews he is an awful spokesperson for the role. Zero class. Okay, we can all swear but he is vulgar to the extreme. Just so unnecessary. I don't think he promotes the role well but just my opinion. I think he's terrible. All the f words and dismissive attitude to everything. People can hate me for saying that, just how I feel! Perhaps the next Bond actor can be a little more polite in interviews!

If he's delivering a brilliant performance, who cares?
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Nail on the head. If he's delivering a brilliant performance, who cares. Exactly.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Craig always delivers.
    The direction of the movies is a different matter.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I have yet to see a brilliant performance from Craig, so I don't think his attitude can be overlooked. This is supposed to be James Bond, not Roger Mellie's Profanisaurus.
This discussion has been closed.