Daniel Craig says he doesn't want to do another Bond; Spectre may be his last

Comments

If that Craig interview can summon end-of-the-world comments for over 33 pages, what will it be like when there's a real problem for the franchise? If mi6 community had existed in 1969 when Lazenby said he'd quit after OHMSS it would have imploded on itself due to endless doom and gloom reactions.

:))

Jan1985 wrote: »
    Germanlady wrote: »
    Well said Naomie!

Bond star plays down Craig quit quote

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-34514701

Daniel Craig was "just being sarcastic" when he said he wanted to "move on" from playing James Bond, according to his co-star Naomie Harris.
    "Daniel lives and breathes Bond," said the actress, who will reprise her role as Moneypenny in the new film Spectre, which comes out later this month.
    Time Out magazine recently quoted Craig as saying he would "rather slash [his] wrists" than make a fifth Bond film.
    Harris, though, said the actor's words had been "blown out of proportion".
    "It was not as he intended it," she told BBC News, claiming her co-star's "sense of humour… doesn't come across particularly well in print".

Well said, indeed.

That's what I said all the time.
    After 10 years everyone should know Craig's sense of humour and his way of getting through an interview.

One would think so, yes, but, well...

Oh, its not that they don't know better. They KNOW! But if they can twist words for their own good, they will do it. Never mind, what shitstorn goes with it.The more, the better. This is, what he hates so much and this is, what he gave them on a silver tableau. There lays his fault. And this is, what he pays the price for now.

Yes, most in the media know, I'm sure. General public (by which I don't mean Bond fans) can't even be expected to know, so they'll just go with what the media presents them with.

AceHole wrote: »
    That GQ interview was, as usual, pretty boring. All DC really does during interviews is show how much of a 'man of the people' he is by being blasé about fame and swearing a lot. Russell Crowe does it too, but it comes accross as genuine - with Dan is feels very uneasy and defensive.

Thank goodness Dan is a better actor than conversationalist.

I'll need to get my act together and read a bunch of Russell Crowe interviews, been thinking about doing it for a while, but haven't had the time, yet... :P He seems like a pretty relaxed dude in general.

Anyway... I quite liked the GQ piece myself - nothing deep or revealing or new, but still. But he is just generally uneasy and defensive with the media (interviews, but also paparazzi and fans and stuff), he hasn't really managed to relax, yet - maybe he never will, who knows. I'd like to see that happen.

this guy sums it up what's wrong with those lousy interviews ;)

http://www.hitfix.com/the-dartboard/ant-man-the-daniel-craig-controversy-fandemonium-10

discussion about Daniel starts about 6:50 in.
    I really would like this guy to interview Daniel

• mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    edited October 2015 Posts: 4,116
    We have like 50 threads debating this.. I'm guilty too but c'mom enough already lol.

I'm ready for the film and some positive posts.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    We have like 50 threads debating this.. I'm guilty too but c'mom enough already lol.

But what to do with 16 more days what to do 8-X

• edited October 2015 Posts: 6,601
    Getting away from it all, doing what probably gives him perspective, of what is important.

Daniel in Cyprus for Unmass

12115886_895596457190406_4423267251651444511_n_zpspzwmgg2e.jpg

12115697_895596570523728_1892528882307441426_n_zpsds5y9rwb.jpg

12107101_895596550523730_8741105769021420786_n_zpsh7ihrk8s.jpg

12107860_895596733857045_2006097211913476404_n_zpsbfroum3c.jpg
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    RC7 wrote: »
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    He could play it until he's 60 if he wants.

Oh boy. Sigh.

He said he was so tired making SPECTRE. How can he play the role to 60 if he was out of his mind with tiredness age 47?

With respect, don't you read the interviews? I dunno, try and take in what he says!
    All DC really does during interviews is show how much of a 'man of the people' he is by being blasé about fame and swearing a lot.

Yeah. People can take this as an anti-Craig remark but it's how I feel - in printed interviews he is an awful spokesperson for the role. Zero class. Okay, we can all swear but he is vulgar to the extreme. Just so unnecessary. I don't think he promotes the role well but just my opinion. I think he's terrible. All the f words and dismissive attitude to everything. People can hate me for saying that, just how I feel! Perhaps the next Bond actor can be a little more polite in interviews!

If he's delivering a brilliant performance, who cares?

Certainly, I don't really care - as I've said numerous times, all Craig ‘has’ to give is his best performance as an actor, that's it.

But I do understand where people are coming from when they say they would like him to be a bit more courteous. His (often misquoted) sarcasm and being profane & scornful of the silly proportions his kind of fame brings is all fine & well - and I see his point – but he is often far more defensive than he needs to be.
    Just saying once (or twice) that the press are a lousy bunch of c***s is enough – you don’t have to hammer it home in every third sentence.

But I also agree that this discussion is getting a tad boring…
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 6,601
    deleted
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    He could play it until he's 60 if he wants.

Oh boy. Sigh.

He said he was so tired making SPECTRE. How can he play the role to 60 if he was out of his mind with tiredness age 47?

With respect, don't you read the interviews? I dunno, try and take in what he says!

It's an action movie. He does his own stunts. He even required surgery because of said stunts. I'm sure he got tired of every other production, too. Do you get tired after a long days work? I'm assuming yes, right? So then does that mean you'll go in the next day and quit?

I think not.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    mcdonbb wrote: »

But what to do with 16 more days what to do 8-X

Point taken ...we are all like kids on a long car trip "are we there yet? ..I'm hungry!! ...Jason bit me!! ...Mom!!!"

=))
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    Getting away from it all, doing what probably gives him perspective, of what is important.

Daniel in Cyprus for Unmass

12115886_895596457190406_4423267251651444511_n_zpspzwmgg2e.jpg

12115697_895596570523728_1892528882307441426_n_zpsds5y9rwb.jpg

12107860_895596733857045_2006097211913476404_n_zpsbfroum3c.jpg

That Daniel Craig what a horrible, money orientated diva eh!. Hope those who slated the guy feel pretty bad that all the time they were doing so he was out their in landmine field raising awareness. Wonder how the Daily Mail will spin this story probably a headline of DANIEL CRAIG LAYS DOWN LANDMINE IN LATEST SUICIDE ATTEMPT.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

This f#¤%& landmine won t blow up!
    edited October 2015 Posts: 2,138

This f#¤%& landmine won t blow up!

The Tag line should be "Sony Silence Daniel Craig"
    edited October 2015 Posts: 9,020
    Craig as a person isn't criticised but his communication is.
    You simply can't say such things, an actor in such a high profile role should know better.
    Obviously he has to learn the hard way.
    I hope he'll not do any interviews right after shoots anymore.
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 4,622
    AceHole wrote: »
    That GQ interview was, as usual, pretty boring. All DC really does during interviews is show how much of a 'man of the people' he is by being blasé about fame and swearing a lot. Russell Crowe does it too, but it comes accross as genuine - with Dan is feels very uneasy and defensive.

Thank goodness Dan is a better actor than conversationalist.
    Yes there is truth here. He does seem to try and affect common man airs when doing interviews.
    Doesn't work though as he is not common man.
    He is very rich movie star.

And even common man doesn't swear this much

Maybe drunk common man.

You simply can't say such things, an actor in such a high profile role should know better.

Jason it was sarcastic humour get a grip man, change the record.
    I would get involved with all this (And I would be on Craigs side!) but I was saying some lousy things about Brossa during his tenure as Bond, because I couldn't wait for him to leave, so I kinda feel guilty! I'm not gonna worry about the future just yet! Gonna wallow in Craigs time right now, and cant wait for the 26th and to sit in the cinema and relish the thought of a new James Bond movie about to unfold! Other movies don't hold a candle to that moment, (Even Mad Max Fury Road, which I was highly anticipating!)
    edited October 2015 Posts: 9,020

It was a response to Germanlady, my bad didn't @ here.

I love sarcasm, I know sarcasm, I am a walking sarcasm and I just changed my record to Get a Grip by Aerosmith as you told me
    :)

I love sarcasm, I know sarcasm, I am a walking sarcasm and I just changed my record to Get a Grip by Aerosmith as you told me

Ah right apologies.

BTW For everyone with a problem Craig's language. Fleming apparently swore like a trooper. He would have put it in the novels if he could have got away with it at the time.
    Mr. Craig represents more than himself. He represents the franchise and is not doing a very good job of it. No one would know Dan Craig if it wasn't for Bond. He is turning into Connery but shorter and more vulgar even worse he is a spoil sport like Laz.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    aspie wrote: »
    Mr. Craig represents more than himself. He represents the franchise and is not doing a very good job of it. No one would know Dan Craig if it wasn't for Bond. He is turning into Connery but shorter and more vulgar even worse he is a spoil sport like Laz.

I don't know how anyone gets this idea based on what he's said.

No Bond actor has been as physically involved in the role as much as DC. He deserves leeway when asked about doing another Bond in the aftermath of such a grueling shoot.
    aspie wrote: »

What uneducated drivel. Daniel Craig was hailed by critics for the Spielberg directed Road to Perdition opposite Hanks. He played supporting roles next Kidman in the Invasion and Jolie in Tomb Raider. Further more he was a hit with critics in Spielbergs Munich he was always going to be a leading man if not Bond it would have been something else. You have no idea, your going by a mainstream newspaper interpretation of comments made in jest. Your just jumping on the hate Dan band wagon. Let me guess your favourite Bond is Brosnan and Bond should have dark hair and be tall and speak like Stephen Fry.. a way and bile yer heid.
    Do I get this right, you guys filled 10 pages within one or two days with nothing new substantial on the topic that is described in the title of this thread?
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited October 2015 Posts: 13,894
    Why does disliking Craig mean that Brosnan is @aspie's favourite? I don't like Craig, and Brosnan is not my favourite.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited October 2015 Posts: 23,883
    I'm a DC fan, but I really had not heard of him before Bond. I had seen Tomb Raider and he wasn't memorable in that (I preferred Butler in the 2nd one quite frankly, and actually remembered him more) and I had seen Munich too, but again he wasn't all that memorable there either.

So Bond did indeed put him on the map with a lot of people, at least outside England.

I have a feeling post-Bond that he will go back to smaller fare, and not be all that mainstream. Just a feeling I have. The only other 'franchise' he has at the moment is the excellent Girl with the Dragon Tattoo line....and that hasn't been going anywhere, sadly.

Bond is so not DC when you think about it.....and unfortunately, he's letting everyone know that (perhaps unintentionally) slowly but surely in drips and drabs in his interviews. Hollywood can be such a cruel place sometimes (including the paparazzi).
    Why does disliking Craig mean that Brosnan is @aspie's favourite? I don't like Craig, and Brosnan is not my favourite.

Because I have seen it time and time again. Those unaccepting of Craig of Bond will jump on the band wagon when the opportunity arises to criticise him either as Bond, person or actor. I tend to find those same people are those who are the ones who wanted more Brosnan, didn't want a reboot or dont feel Craig has right look for Bond and can't wait for him to go in the hope they get what they call a "Bondonian" looking actor. It's pathetic the guy said nothing wrong in that interview, and cares what happens to the franchise after he leaves but because he doesn't speak like a public school boy he gets comments from mugs who by what the daily mail print. Shocking uneducated shameful behaviour of so called fans, some of the keyboard terrorists on here need to get their facts right and not let reading tabloids own take sway their opinion for them.
  • Pajan005Pajan005 Stockholm, Sweden
    Take a look at this video of Daniel promoting the SP premiere competition

He looks to really enjoy doing it, and it doesn't look like he is just waiting for a pay check. I really hate all those articles making people think he is quitting the role all the sudden. I've even hard more people say that Idris Elba is gonna be the next one. My reaction is just like: Give me a break. DC isn't done until it's officially said by EON. Let the man just have some time with his family then he'll soon be back.

The HitFlix video said everything perfectly. DC is getting the same question all the time on his interviews. "When are you making the next Bond? Are you leaving the role? Who should to it next? When's the next one out?" Of course he is gonna say he rather slash his wrists than answer anymore of those questions. Because he is not the one to know, just yet that is. There really aren't that many interviewers asking questions about the making of this film and where character is at this point? Those are always the ones that interest me the most. Because you can get some great answers out of him. I read one not too long ago where he mentioned he would get ideas during nights and write them down for Sam and so forth.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited October 2015 Posts: 13,894

Because I have seen it time and time again. Those unaccepting of Craig of Bond will jump on the band wagon when the opportunity arises to criticise him either as Bond, person or actor. I tend to find those same people are those who are the ones who wanted more Brosnan, didn't want a reboot or dont feel Craig has right look for Bond and can't wait for him to go in the hope they get what they call a "Bondonian" looking actor. It's pathetic the guy said nothing wrong in that interview, and cares what happens to the franchise after he leaves but because he doesn't speak like a public school boy he gets comments from mugs who by what the daily mail print. Shocking uneducated shameful behaviour of so called fans, some of the keyboard terrorists on here need to get their facts right and not let reading tabloids own take sway their opinion for them.

I don't like Craig's era, but if his successor were blonde, I would him the same chance(s) that I gave Craig. I'm not as rigid on the hair colour. So long as it isn't blue or green (or something like that), I don't really care whether the next Bond has black, brown, blonde or ginger hair.
    Thanks Pajan for that vid. :)
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Pajan005 wrote: »
    Take a look at this video of Daniel promoting the SP premiere competition

He looks to really enjoy doing it, and it doesn't look like he is just waiting for a pay check. I really hate all those articles making people think he is quitting the role all the sudden. I've even hard more people say that Idris Elba is gonna be the next one. My reaction is just like: Give me a break. DC isn't done until it's officially said by EON. Let the man just have some time with his family then he'll soon be back.

The HitFlix video said everything perfectly. DC is getting the same question all the time on his interviews. "When are you making the next Bond? Are you leaving the role? Who should to it next? When's the next one out?" Of course he is gonna say he rather slash his wrists than answer anymore of those questions. Because he is not the one to know, just yet that is. There really aren't that many interviewers asking questions about the making of this film and where character is at this point? Those are always the ones that interest me the most. Because you can get some great answers out of him. I read one not too long ago where he mentioned he would get ideas during nights and write them down for Sam and so forth.

The poor guy already looks exhausted. :(
This discussion has been closed.