Thoughts on Fiennes character, other than Ernst?

edited November 2011 in Skyfall Posts: 96
I was just presented with a news bit on a recent Awards ceremony from November 14. Ralph Fiennes was a presenter. Now mind you, Fiennes' scenes could very well be in the time ahead, but as of last week, he was sporting a considerable amount of facial hair. Could Bond's nemesis in Skyfall therefore be-- Ernst Stavro Rasputin? (-:

Take a look: http://bit.ly/tP1njB

Comments

• No one knows. The Le Chiffre from the 2006 movie looks way more trained than the Le Chiffre from Fleming's novel. Not to mention Blofeld's various looks during Fleming's Blofeld-trilogy. In fact, Blofeld had a moustache in the novel 'You Only Live Twice'. And then we have Max von Sydow's version of Blofeld in 'NSNA'. Almost Santa :))
    bondtheory wrote:
    but as of last week, he was sporting a considerable amount of facial hair.

The facial hair was for his role in the play The Tempest which closed at the end of October. This is how he looked like last week:

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm284996352/nm0000146
  • edited November 2011 Posts: 96
    Thank you for the update PanchitoPistoles! Good point, Gustav_Graves, we will have to wait and see what he will look like, if he is indeed Blofeld.
  • If he's not going to be a character Bond fans already know, he's at least got to be a relative of one.
    I know all of the character roles are secretive at this point, but given the excessive secrecy of his, plus the few little tidbits we're given, I find it hard to believe he's just any random character they made up.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    his role is uncertain - clouded would be a better word.. but he always seem to land villain roles as of late... it would be fun to turn the rumors over their head, and actually have him be a good guy for a change..... what if Dench's 'M' in this film is forced out - and he is the new M taking over, maybe as <b>Sir Miles Messervy</b>....... i know that an even further longshot than the rumors of Blofeld... but hey - as crazy as the rumors are that Blofeld is returning, then why not? lol
  • If he says "Mr Bond, I'll buy you a Delicatessen in Stainless Steele!" Then we know.
    I hear rumors from commanderbond.net that he is playing Miles the future M.
    Fiennes as a cross-dressing Moneypenny anyone?
    One can hope so. I really hope this is the case.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited November 2011 Posts: 13,896
    LeChiffre wrote:
    Fiennes as a cross-dressing Moneypenny anyone?

For your eyes only. X_X
  • and with Thunderballs
    HASEROT wrote:
    his role is uncertain - clouded would be a better word.. but he always seem to land villain roles as of late... it would be fun to turn the rumors over their head, and actually have him be a good guy for a change..... what if Dench's 'M' in this film is forced out - and he is the new M taking over, maybe as <b>Sir Miles Messervy</b>....... i know that an even further longshot than the rumors of Blofeld... but hey - as crazy as the rumors are that Blofeld is returning, then why not? lol

I'm betting you are dead right. Fiennes has the right vibe for a Mi6 top brass official. I can imagine Dench's M being suspended while her past activities are investigated and Fiennes takes control of Mi6.

• That's a possiblity, but is he old enough for an M position? He's what, only 5 years older than Craig?
    Fiennes played a corrupt British PM (based on Blair surely) recently in a great BBC drama with Bill Nighy. So he has good form playing British political figures. Just a thought. PS Bill Nighy would make a great Q IMO but I,m sure Ben Whishaw will get the gig as a younger version
  • edited November 2011 Posts: 11,119
    ColonelSun wrote:
    HASEROT wrote:

I'm betting you are dead right. Fiennes has the right vibe for a Mi6 top brass official. I can imagine Dench's M being suspended while her past activities are investigated and Fiennes takes control of Mi6.

First of all. I always try to make a distinction between gossip (Bad newspapers and tabloids that are talking crap) and slip of the tongues from people that are actually working on the damn project (John Logan, David Arnold, you know them.

So with that in mind, you can actually predict which rumour will come true and which rumour will stay bullocks. I know that I was the first on the MI6 Forums who announced that 'Quantum Of Solace' actually would be the next Bond title, while at the same time many people thought that would be bullocks.

Now about the role of 'M'. I am also anticipating that Judi Dench will leave after 'Skyfall'. You know why? Because during the press conference she did not directly give a hint, but she indirectly hinted to that possibility. Not to mention the plot synopsis of 'Skyfall' that is known so far.

But Ralph Fiennes playing the new 'M'? I doubt it. It means that we keep seeing an unbelievable twat heading MI6 Bond film after Bond film. One that keeps compromising the entire secrecy of MI6. No, I think Fiennes deserves a better, more compelling character to play. Because 'M' is still a secondary type of role. Necessary, but <b>usually</b> for the importance of the actual plot not that much.

And frankly, I think Ralph Fiennes must have been lured into the Bond franchise, by actually offering him a role that could also outshine James Bond himself. Something that is risky, but that could actually work 200%. That's why I keep returning to the possibility that Fiennes actually could play a villain that many people already know of, but that will be completely renewed/revamped/rebooted to today's political circus.

So call me weird, but I pay attention :-*
  • edited November 2011 Posts: 660
    I do not believe he is going to be M, but one of Ian Fleming characters that never is in any of the movies. The assistant commissioner of Scotland Yard Ronie Vallance. I think he could pull this off well. With the attack on London/Mi6 I could him in this role for or against M and MI6 and what happened...
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I do not believe he is going to be M, but one of Ian Fleming characters that never is in any of the movies. The assistant commissioner of Scotland Yard Ronie Vallance. I think he could pull this off well. With the attack on London/Mi6 I could him in this role for or against M and MI6 and what happened...

Interesting theory I must say. I would like Vallance as a cinematic character. One of the few recurring characters from the books that never made it into the film series.

DarthDimi wrote:

Interesting theory I must say. I would like Vallance as a cinematic character. One of the few recurring characters from the books that never made it into the film series.

I'd rather see Holly Vallance!
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited November 2011 Posts: 13,350
    DarthDimi wrote:

http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/462/should-ronnie-vallance-be-introduced-into-the-series

Free feel to add more of your thoughts here, Dimi.
    The assistant commissioner of Scotland Yard Ronie Vallance. I think he could pull this off well. With the attack on London/Mi6 I could him in this role for or against M and MI6 and what happened...

I never would have even thought of that, but it is absolutely brilliant! Fiennes would be perfect in such a role.

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    With Fiennes being a big fan of the novels, you could see why he could take a role in a Bond film now and this being a great story, it all adds up.
  • Monsieur_AubergineMonsieur_Aubergine Top of the Eiffel Tower with a fly in my soup!
    edited November 2011 Posts: 642
    BBC seem to have decided on which way he leans

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-15856477

States he is cast as the villain???!

Fiennes not replacing Dench as "M"? Wana make a bet on that?

• edited November 2011 Posts: 5,745
    I'll say this once more:

Fiennes is not the type of actor I see signing on for 3+ movies -in such a rather small role (traditionally), thus I do not believe he is M.
  • Anyone thinking he could be Q, i know highly unlikely but if Q is in this film then who else?
  • gt007gt007 Station G
    edited November 2011 Posts: 1,182
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    I'll say this once more:

Fiennes is not the type of actor I see signing on for 3+ movies -in such a rather small role (traditionally), thus I do not believe he is M.

And you can see him as a Mathis-like ally?

Could you see Dame Judi Dench signing on for 3+ movies before 1995?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    If it is that Fiennes takes over as M, how would everyone feel about Dench's M being suspended/fired over the events that transpire in Skyfall? After having her around for seven movies, will you be upset to see her leave like this, or would you prefer it that way?
    gt007 wrote:
    And you can see him as a Mathis-like ally?

Nope, didn't say that. He is an extremely "dynamic character". He's going to be a large character in the film. Not a Mathis, not a M, not a Q. Government official, fellow agent, something only specific to one (SKYFALL's) storyline.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe

Great idea! Who knows? A character only the Bond-readers would recognize would suit the laconic answer given by Mendes at the press conference.