The James Bond Questions Thread

Comments

• QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Silly question perhaps, but was 'Global James Bond Day' exclusively for the 50th anniversary, or will there be some sort of ongoing official celebration every October 5th from now on? Does anyone here plan to celebrate it, regardless? And if so, how will you go about it? A few martinis at home, perhaps? Maybe watch a film or three? I plan to start my DN-SP Bondathon around mid-October, but perhaps I'll celebrate it by shifting the event forward to this date.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    It was only in 2012, but that doesn t mean you can t celebrate. Every day is a James Bond day here, so not sure what to do to make it extra special.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    You should take a moment on the day to watch this friggen' monster of a tribute video.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    Is this just a production flaw? In Octopussys Bond & Q arrive by balloon at Kamal's palace in the cover of darkness. Bond goes after Kamal and suddenly it's daylight it then cuts back to Q knocking over a gaurd with a gun pointed at Octopussys beauties and it's darkness again.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Is this just a production flaw? In Octopussys Bond & Q arrive by balloon at Kamal's palace in the cover of darkness. Bond goes after Kamal and suddenly it's daylight it then cuts back to Q knocking over a gaurd with a gun pointed at Octopussys beauties and it's darkness again.

My best guess that it was early morning and by the time everything unfolded it was light.

My best guess that it was early morning and by the time everything unfolded it was light.

Yes but does not explain why it shows Bond leave the palace after Kamal in daylight to cut back to Q in darkness.
    I can't see how it could've been a Bond TITLE track as it's a bit meandery and soft and really unsuitable so I'm glad it was rejected. I can see it as an END credits track though
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    24 sounds quite different on the album than it would have sounded if it got the Bond-esque production treatment.

Just judging from the lyrics and melody (although the lyrics definitely have been changed a bit as well) this could have made a real good Bond song, especially now we know Sam Smith's Writing's On The Wall.
    Agree Jason with big orchestra production Del Rays track would have kicked Sam Smiths effort out of the park. Smith song Is too soft and lovey dovey for Bond.
    When Bond and Oddjob fight at the end the timer ends at 007. I think this wasn't originally to happen. Am I wrong ? Was the timer supposed to end at 003 or smth like that and they edited it later ?
    dragonsky wrote: »
    When Bond and Oddjob fight at the end the timer ends at 007. I think this wasn't originally to happen. Am I wrong ? Was the timer supposed to end at 003 or smth like that and they edited it later ?

That's right. They didn't dub it. Conners says something like "three more ticks and Goldfinger would have hit the jackpot".
  • Why does the CIA try to kill Bond in Quantum of Solace? Never quite understood this part, when Bond meets Felix in the bar in Bolivia, and the Special Activities Division hit team comes in with the SWAT gear.
    Simple : The CIA viewed Bond as a threat to their plans to get control of the oil they thought Greene was after. So they decided to arrest or kill Bond with all the subtlety of a rogue elephant to remove the perceived threat.
  • AntiLocqueBrakesAntiLocqueBrakes The edge
    Anyone else feel sorry for Kerim Bey's wife? Long slide from wife of a government operative to becoming a dancer in Cuba.
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    In the novel Goldfinger that heroin mission was in Mexico, not Cuba. Did the film ever clarify where it was?
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Sark wrote: »
    In the novel Goldfinger that heroin mission was in Mexico, not Cuba. Did the film ever clarify where it was?

No, but no doubt it was some banana republic.
  • eddychaputeddychaput Montreal, Canada
    I re-watched TLD a few days ago for my Bondathon, and I still can't grasp the scene in which Bond rides his Aston Martin in circles on the ice pond, thus creating a perfectly cut for the police car chasing them to sink. Do his wheels have a gadget on them them helped him cut the ice that thick or is it just supposed to be a (bad) joke?
    eddychaput wrote: »
    I re-watched TLD a few days ago for my Bondathon, and I still can't grasp the scene in which Bond rides his Aston Martin in circles on the ice pond, thus creating a perfectly cut for the police car chasing them to sink. Do his wheels have a gadget on them them helped him cut the ice that thick or is it just supposed to be a (bad) joke?

I believe by puting the hand brake on creating friction the brake discs warm the tyres and the heat and energy is meant to cause the ice to thin around the circle. Highly unlikely you could do it without assistance but it's for the benefit of the action of the movie at its time before the cynical over questioning world be live in now, these were the things audiences wanted to see Bond doing a film. Which is a great example of why some see Dan's tenure as too serious as all the rediculous things to thrill and audience have been replaced by drama and back story. That's what Bond does, it reflects the world of its time, evolving. There may be a time where other popular films begin doing the silly stuff and audiences enjoy it and Bond brings such elements back. Time will tell.
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    Watched this the other day. If ypu look closely you'll see that the front left wheel has its tyre blown to smithereens, therefore exposing just the wheel without the tyre. So, as it's just the metal wheel with a sharp edge, he drives the car in a circle, cutting the ice in a perfect circle. Sure that couldn't happen but still pretty cool.

Here's a YouTube clip - - it's about 2:36 in. Hope that helps a little.
    Watched this the other day. If ypu look closely you'll see that the front left wheel has its tyre blown to smithereens, therefore exposing just the wheel without the tyre. So, as it's just the metal wheel with a sharp edge, he drives the car in a circle, cutting the ice in a perfect circle. Sure that couldn't happen but still pretty cool.

Here's a YouTube clip - - it's about 2:36 in. Hope that helps a little.

Good man.
  • TokolosheTokoloshe Under your bed
    That whole moment is silly nonsense because there's no way the wheel would cut that deep, plus the circle on which the police car sinks is far smaller than the one he has just cut. I agree with Birdleson that it's more suited to a Roger film.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    It's not as bad as the silly nonsense that followed.
    The-Living-Daylights-12644_5.jpg
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    As already pointed out it's a cool scene. It's Bond we
    Have to have a little bit of fantasy, or we should only
    Watch Tinker, Tailor,Solder,Spy. ;)
    I somehow don't take umbrage with the slide down the mountain in the cello case. I find it amusing.
    Tokoloshe wrote: »
    That whole moment is silly nonsense because there's no way the wheel would cut that deep, plus the circle on which the police car sinks is far smaller than the one he has just cut. I agree with Birdleson that it's more suited to a Roger film.

That's the part that always has me scratching my head.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited October 2015 Posts: 7,527
    +1 to the cello sledding scene being great!
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    +1 to the cello sledding scene being great!

Better make that two!
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    It makes me cringe and groan. :))