The James Bond Questions Thread

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I think part was filmed but cut from the film.
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    In Thunderball, Largo invites Bond for a tour of the disco volante, but it never happens and isn't mentioned again. Were they planning to film this and just decided against it?
    aboarddisco.jpg

a197b61891d769dd9699befab55c1c2e.jpg

• Sark wrote: »
    How does Gustav Graves become a well known and successful British businessperson, and earn the Queen's trust to be Knighted, in only 14 months?

He doesn't. It doesn't make a damn bit of sense and there's no explanation for it.

Do people also wonder whether Benedict Cumberbatch's Sherlock Holmes is a "different" Sherlock Holmes from Sir Arthur Doyle's? It seems like a fairly absurd exercise in futility.

The only way it would work if Graves was already an established businessman and the Korean guy killed Graves and assumed his identity
    I realise this is hardly mythbusters or even vaguely scientific but something that always bugged me in TSWLM - how did Liparus actually stay afloat when opening the bow doors and swallowing submarines below the waterline - leave the bow doors of a ferry open to the sea and it will end up badly wrong at the bottom of the seabed as seen in reality many times.

It's all about water displacement to stay afloat so are there two main separated hulls running down each side of the main hull like a twin hull catamaran? Building such a thing would have been quite difficult to hide so how come key intelligence agencies had their heads up their backsides on this issue and never saw it coming - only to have an airfix model give Stromberg's game away to Bond and Agent XXX!?

Artistic licence, take with a big pinch of salt and suspend disbelief? Still love TSWLM and never tire of watching it - my first cinema Bond outing
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    andmcit wrote: »
    I realise this is hardly mythbusters or even vaguely scientific but something that always bugged me in TSWLM - how did Liparus actually stay afloat when opening the bow doors and swallowing submarines below the waterline - leave the bow doors of a ferry open to the sea and it will end up badly wrong at the bottom of the seabed as seen in reality many times.

It's all about water displacement to stay afloat so are there two main separated hulls running down each side of the main hull like a twin hull catamaran? Building such a thing would have been quite difficult to hide so how come key intelligence agencies had their heads up their backsides on this issue and never saw it coming - only to have an airfix model give Stromberg's game away to Bond and Agent XXX!?

Artistic licence, take with a big pinch of salt and suspend disbelief? Still love TSWLM and never tire of watching it - my first cinema Bond outing

Ballast tanks on each side. Water entering is also being pumped back through.
  • Thunderball007Thunderball007 United States
    edited November 2015 Posts: 306
    Sark wrote: »
    How does Gustav Graves become a well known and successful British businessperson, and earn the Queen's trust to be Knighted, in only 14 months?

He doesn't. It doesn't make a damn bit of sense and there's no explanation for it.

Do people also wonder whether Benedict Cumberbatch's Sherlock Holmes is a "different" Sherlock Holmes from Sir Arthur Doyle's? It seems like a fairly absurd exercise in futility.

The only way it would work if Graves was already an established businessman and the Korean guy killed Graves and assumed his identity

Yes, that is another matter that sticks out like a sore thumb in Die Another Day.

Question. Is the bullet in Die Another Day's gun barrel meant to be going inside the barrel? :P
  • DariusDarius UK
    edited November 2015 Posts: 354
    Question. Is the bullet in Die Another Day's gun barrel meant to be going inside the barrel? :P

Opinion is divided. My view is, yes it is. The best shot in the world couldn't manage such a precision shot by design and the notion of the bullet actually going down the barrel pays no lip service to the concept of the vignette. The bullet is supposed to hit the P.O.V. first person in the forehead with blood running from the wound with the first person falling to the floor.

The fact that this effect has not been done again speaks for itself.
  • OHMSS plot hole: Why didn't Bond go back and check Blofeld was dead?
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    OHMSS plot hole: Why didn't Bond go back and check Blofeld was dead?

The rescue dog was a member of Spectre. Distracted Bond with brandy so Blofeld could escape...
    Where is Felix Leiter during the 6 consecutive films without an appearance (after Live and Let Die)?
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 2,491
    Has Ian Fleming seen the full version of Goldfinger that had its premiere in September 1964 ? He passed away in August.

edit: Also another question, what's the deal with Bond typing his password in CR ? He obviously doesn't pick Vesper..was it that hard for them to reshoot someone pressing the numbers ?

• Mallory wrote: »
    OHMSS plot hole: Why didn't Bond go back and check Blofeld was dead?

The rescue dog was a member of Spectre. Distracted Bond with brandy so Blofeld could escape...

lol, I wonder how they could have patched this up.

@Dragonsky re: vesper password. Yes a sloppy and rather strange error.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Has anyone sat through the end credits of Spectre, and does it say James Bond Will Return?
    edited November 2015 Posts: 306
    Has anyone sat through the end credits of Spectre, and does it say James Bond Will Return?

I have read from others that indeed, it does.

Where is Felix Leiter during a 6 film absence (after Live and Let Die)? Why is he in only one of Sir Roger Moore's 007 films?

• ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    I know Fleming saw Dr No, but is there any information on him having seen From Russia With Love and Goldfinger (he died in 1964 but I can't remember the months).
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    edited November 2015 Posts: 45,489
    He saw FRWL, and an uncut version of GF. Fleming died in August, a month before the premiere.
  • Question RE Silva in Skyfall: how old was he supposed to be? when would he have been recruited? and if he is in fact spanish..why and how mi6??
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 2,491
    SPOILERS FOR SPECTRE

When Bond rides the plane in Austria..

1- Where the hell did he found the plane from?!??

2- When the plane crashes....where the hell did Hinx went ? He is shown barely moving at the end of the scene to show us that he's alive...but how did he end in the snow ? And why didn't Bond just kill him if he was laying around unconsciously ? You saw the guy pop someone's eyes out and you let him lay ? come on..
  • DariusDarius UK
    dragonsky wrote: »
    SPOILERS FOR SPECTRE

When Bond rides the plane in Austria..

1- Where the hell did he found the plane from?!??

2- When the plane crashes....where the hell did Hinx went ? He is shown barely moving at the end of the scene to show us that he's alive...but how did he end in the snow ? And why didn't Bond just kill him if he was laying around unconsciously ? You saw the guy pop someone's eyes out and you let him lay ? come on..

1. The plane was the one Bond flew in on. It's seen in the establishing shot.

2. I suppose it's just "not cricket" for a hero to shoot someone dead while they're unconscious.
    Question RE Silva in Skyfall: how old was he supposed to be? when would he have been recruited? and if he is in fact spanish..why and how mi6??

Silva is of Brazilian descent Born Tiago Rodriguez. he was brought up briefly by his Grandmother on a small island. We are to a assume by M's later comments "Orphans always did make the best agents" that after her death he like Bond was an Orphan who ended up being recruited, and why Silva likes to call her Mommy. Recruitment of foreign nationals is key as you need people who can fit in, in the country they are operating in.

We know M agreed to hand over Silva during the transfer of Hong Kong to China 1 July 1997 and had worked with M in Honk Kong since 1986. We are to assume that this is first station with MI6 as she recruited him and this is her only mention of working with him. So it is impossible to say what age he is but I would expect he was still quite young when he was recruited. I would guess he was in his early 50's

For example say he was 25 in 1986. Skyfall events I believe take place in 2011/2012 Around 26 years after he joined MI6. He was handed over to the Chinese in 1997 which means 15 years to be held in prison, it's not explain if he escaped or was freed.

ONLY READ IF YOU HAVE SEEN SPECTRE
    Spectre explains Silva was a Spectre agent, and the events of Skyfall were funded by SPECTRE as Blofeld wanted to hurt Bond by having Dame Judi M killed, using Silva's own personal grievance to make it happen.

• Really loved SPECTRE, thought some moments, well most moments in it, were pretty much a love letter to Bond fans, which I really appreciated, it was great fun! Please only read my spoiler question if you've seen the film, I'd hate to spoil it for anyone! I have a question regarding the villain
    Oberhauser/Blofeld, I understand that he took the name Blofeld from his mother's side, but where did he get the names Ernst Stavro from?
    I'd love to hear your answers/theories!
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Benson20 wrote: »
    Really loved SPECTRE, thought some moments, well most moments in it, were pretty much a love letter to Bond fans, which I really appreciated, it was great fun! Please only read my spoiler question if you've seen the film, I'd hate to spoil it for anyone! I have a question regarding the villain
    Oberhauser/Blofeld, I understand that he took the name Blofeld from his mother's side, but where did he get the names Ernst Stavro from?

From Butterwoth, Logan, Purvis or Wade my dear :))
    edited November 2015 Posts: 2,138
    Benson20 wrote: »
    Really loved SPECTRE, thought some moments, well most moments in it, were pretty much a love letter to Bond fans, which I really appreciated, it was great fun! Please only read my spoiler question if you've seen the film, I'd hate to spoil it for anyone! I have a question regarding the villain

Originally Fleming had it as his father was Ernst George Blofeld and was Polish, and his mother Maria Stavro Michelopoulos was Greek.

But production would say the Blofeld was his Grandmother maiden name. And the Ernst taken from Ernst Mayr a world leading 19th century Biologist.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I saw TND last night (and loved it), but I was left wondering: when Stamper drops Wai Lin down in the water, why didn't she just swim back to the surface? I didn't understand in what way she would be prevented from going back up again, all I understood is the chain couldn't go any lower once it got stuck in the hook.
  • I saw TND last night (and loved it), but I was left wondering: when Stamper drops Wai Lin down in the water, why didn't she just swim back to the surface? I didn't understand in what way she would be prevented from going back up again, all I understood is the chain couldn't go any lower once it got stuck in the hook.

Long time since I watched it but wouldn't the weight of the chain be enough to prevent her?
  • TokolosheTokoloshe Under your bed
    I saw TND last night (and loved it), but I was left wondering: when Stamper drops Wai Lin down in the water, why didn't she just swim back to the surface? I didn't understand in what way she would be prevented from going back up again, all I understood is the chain couldn't go any lower once it got stuck in the hook.

Long time since I watched it but wouldn't the weight of the chain be enough to prevent her?

The original question has been asked before. It might be difficult to climb back up the chain with it wrapped around you, but it's fairly nonsensical that she doesn't even try.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Quick question for those who have seen SP. I knew I had a couple I really wanted to ask about last night, but I forgot all of them. Will have to jot them down upon my second viewing, but here's one now:
    When Bond first meets up with Q and is introduced to the new Aston Martin, he tells him that it's awaiting pickup by 009, and follows it up by saying something like "The alarm is very loud, if you get what I'm saying." Now, I took this as Q saying that the alarm to the lab/car was loud, and that he wanted him to go ahead and steal it. However, when Q realizes that it's been stolen later on, he says "Oh....shit." and seems genuinely worried that it's been taken. Did I miss something and Q was originally talking about some other type of alarm?
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 562
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Quick question for those who have seen SP. I knew I had a couple I really wanted to ask about last night, but I forgot all of them. Will have to jot them down upon my second viewing, but here's one now:
    When Bond first meets up with Q and is introduced to the new Aston Martin, he tells him that it's awaiting pickup by 009, and follows it up by saying something like "The alarm is very loud, if you get what I'm saying." Now, I took this as Q saying that the alarm to the lab/car was loud, and that he wanted him to go ahead and steal it. However, when Q realizes that it's been stolen later on, he says "Oh....shit." and seems genuinely worried that it's been taken. Did I miss something and Q was originally talking about some other type of alarm?
    Q was talking about the watch alarm i.e. the bomb

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @Scaramanga12,
    Thank you so much for clearing that up. Also clears up how Bond had a bomb in his watch when Q previously told him that it simply tells the time.