Spectre title song - Writing's on the Wall

Comments

• NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Wish there wasn't any film footage in this. Would have liked to have watched it :(
    @smitty you are braver man than I. Watched the video. Did not turn volume down either.
    Enjoyed the new footage, but will never watch that video again. Song has not grown on me one iota. In fact it grows worse. It's consideration as epic bad choice, and slam dunk #worstBondsongEver is solidified further.

I wish I could sign this guys petition multiple times.
    Kudos to James in Australia for standing up and being counted! A true hero and defender of the franchise! An OBE nomination maybe? Fighting the noble fight....

"It has caused a major uproar on the internet and it is our job to save the honour of the opening credits of what is promising to be one of the most significant chapters in James Bond movie history.
    "The opening song to such a blockbuster requires the deep understanding of what this film is all about and what the audience is to expect – the song should reflect a strong sense of fear and aggressive intimidation that will be ever-present with the villains combined with the fierce determination and never-give-up attitude of a hero that everyone is familiar with and depends on, plus invoke the powerful and overwhelming realisation of just how big and dangerous this latest villain really is.
    We need to make some noise to stop the theme song, before it is released. The director Sam Mendes and the production company MGM need to act quickly to save themselves from destroying the legacy of Bond theme songs. "

Honorable peitition link below. Get signing!!!!! England needs you!
    RC7 wrote: »

uAClrozKZooWOjR-800x450-noPad.jpg

If this saga were an Uncle episode it would be called The Abominable Song Affair
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    ^^^ This is getting a bit sad haha
    I really don't understand why people hate this song so much. When people say it isn't suited for bond I think "do you know anything about the history of bond themes, because you don't seem to". I don't think it's just a good bond theme, but a great one.
  • For what it's worth, I played the song for my father who is very much a traditionalist when it comes to Bond and he really liked it. The first words out of his mouth were "This is a classic Bond song." He was also quite impressed by Sam's voice, falsetto and all.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    It's a very good video and what makes it so is the film footage. The song is thankfully less grating here, but I still wish it were sung in a lower key. Definitely. Or a female. I think it will be fine when used in the score. Still a mediocre song for me, but wrapped in the film it will be fine. What knocked me out is the cinematography; I am more excited than ever to see this film! B-)
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    It's one that grows on you. I liked it in the video a lot. The first Falsetto made me cringe but by the third one, I didn't cringe. I can't wait to see it set to the Main title sequence for the film.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Sure, we are now going to compare WOTW with Gangnam Style only because both were on No 1.
    Does this mean I can throw Skyfall into the same category as let's say...Hangover??
  • AntiLocqueBrakesAntiLocqueBrakes The edge
    Dang it. Dang it. Dang it.

Just watched the music video. And now I like the frickin song. I don't know what happened. They changed something. I swear.

Sorry fellas. Keep up the good fight.
  • MansfieldMansfield Where the hell have you been?
    Wow, I liked the song before, but with the context of the new scenes complementing the song, it's really fantastic.

The bed canopy scene with Lea and their embrace later on are magical.
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 4,622

Sorry fellas. Keep up the good fight.
    No fear! One is inspired by great Bond music classics of the past.
    "His fight goes on and on and on.
    But he thinks that the fight is worth it all."

Take heart fellow Bond music lovers. There are remedies to this malady.
    During cinema viewings one can simply stick fingers in one's ears. For future home viewings, mute button can of course be utilized, and in tandem with blasting of favourite worthy Bond track on home stereo system over the offending muted song.

On a more advanced level, I think there is a marketing opportunity for a special line of souvenir Spectre earmuffs, that one could wear to cinema viewings.
    I am leaning towards this option, as I am planning at least 5 cinema sittings, so sticking fingers in ears could get tiring and might bother people sitting behind, whose view might be blocked by extended elbows and arms.
    The custom Spectre ear muffs, would not only preserve the audio integrity of the viewing, but also serve as souvenir collectables.
    On the home front I have consulted an audio engineer.
    Good news. I am told home blu-rays could be digitally altered, so that one's favourite worthy Bond song could be imprinted over the offending audio track.
    Personally for this film, I will be going with John Barry's OHMSS, which I think is appropriate for this film, given the obvious parallels with the classic 6th entry in the series.
    Barry's track could also be wired into the custom SP headphones,to provide an enhanced cinema experience, as opposed to a muted one.
    The Barry brilliance will pump one up for the epic adventure to come, creating a very enjoyable, energized mood, over that being foisted on those subject to the SS track in full Dolby digital enhanced cinema cat wail.
    Great distress can actually cause for greater opportunity!
    ~O)
  • EndCredit007EndCredit007 EGYPT
    for all the petitionists just think what if a site like this had succeeded
    Very true. Just give it a rest.
    Even though I doubt, it will have an impact. 25 votes so far...

Those, who love Bond whould stop making all the negative noises. Save the film? Not with that. Not that it NEEDS saving. By now, the song should be marked by everybody as good or bad and be done with it.
    I love how on craigisnotbond.com on the bond 50 poll craig has almost half of the votes for best bond :))
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Danielcraigisnotbond.com and now
    SamSmithisnotforbond.com :D
    jake24 wrote: »
    km16 wrote: »
    doubleoego wrote: »
    km16 wrote: »
    Still not sold. The only thing interesting about that video was the newish footage from the film. The song (along with the clips they chose) make it look like some sorta mushy camp crap from Twilight. In fact, nothing about that music video screamed "James Bond" to me at all.

You are aware that love and romance plays a significantly huge role in the Bond mythology?As such, that's the aspect SS focused on, which whether anyone likes it or not, is as much as being completely Bondian as the AM or PPK or any other typical or cliché trope in the lore are.

Rrrrrrrrrright. I'm well aware that sex and women play a role in the James Bond canon but romance? All of like, what, three times maybe? And even then he gets weird and hesitant and finds them overly annoying at points and has trouble committing meanwhile this song and the clips they picked to play leave the impression that our dear 007 is some sweeping storybook romantic like, as I said previously, some BS out of an MTV-esque Twilight montage. Sorry, gag. Maybe Sam Smith's vision of 007, but not accurate.

I cold go into a whole spiel here about how even with Tracy he was sorta forced into the situation as a means to get closer to Blofeld. I'd call it more in the heat of the moment smitten than full blown love, finding some resemblance of happiness in an f-ed up situation and clinging to it.

And to that point, Bond cannot love. His profession doesn't allow it so this sort've sappy, melodramatic love ballad sticks out like a sore thumb. Bond's life will never allow such a thing to exist and at best, if this film does by chance feature a sweeping love story, the 'lover' in this equation will either be gone by next film or killed in some spectacular fashion either on or off screen.

That's just the way it goes.

I smell troll on you.

For pointing out obvious facts? Hardly.

There's a reason why every time Bond falls either in lust or in love it ends horribly. It just doesn't work and would, in essence, ruin the character being tied down. Even Fleming knew this. So I can only assume that they only keep pushing the idea in the DC films to try and humanize the character while still trying to maintain the balance of him being a cold-blooded killer which is just, in my own opinion, an odd choice OR they're just trying to pull their own spin of Bond potentially finding happiness in a Tracy like character since Vesper was already covered in this rebooted timeline. Whether she lives to die another day (heh) or just flat out dies in this film depends to me seen. Hell, maybe she won't even die at all, who knows.

As for the song, I don't like it but it's not the worst of the bunch for me. It's still down near the bottom of the list, though. Maybe I would have liked the video more if they had played more of just the dramatic angle instead of consisting of 90% romanticism. Not every Bond music video needs to feature solely action set-pieces but knowing how the Craig films have been handled thus far, I'm sure there are hundreds of shots of people looking dramatic and worried with scenes of environmental or mental devastation.

I'm hoping (and praying) that the titles work better in my eyes with the song and that's what I think the saving grace may be. But I swear if that's ruined by romanticism themes then I'll let out a giant scream in my theater. lol
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    @km16 is absolutely right that Bond is about lust far more than love/romance. In the course of 23 films he's been in love 2 or 3 times.
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 820
    DrGorner wrote: »
    Danielcraigisnotbond.com and now
    SamSmithisnotforbond.com :D

I like the song & Video of the SPECTRE Theme. Now those 2 that on top I was against the web & my support Daniel Craig for Bond, is there web SamSimthisforBond.com ??? may I ask?
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I was joking about it, but give it time. ;)
  • RC7RC7
    Sark wrote: »
    @km16 is absolutely right that Bond is about lust far more than love/romance. In the course of 23 films he's been in love 2 or 3 times.

Well, it's looking distinctly like DC is going to do it twice in four films. He's on his own truncated trajectory, which is fine by me.
  • Mendes and Van Hoytema have really outdone themselves. The footage from the music video just seems so lush, elegant, and luxurious in a way that Skyfall wasn't (and I love Skyfall's visuals)
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    Get a bit of Spy Who Loved Me dejavu. Favorite part is part where a sisser cut something out. To much movie footage i think. I agree that there have changed some of lyrics.

Of course i already whant the song on the soundtrack, but the hate be another reasen to re-consider that there not going to at the song on the soundtrack.
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 187
    RC7 wrote: »
    Sark wrote: »

Well, it's looking distinctly like DC is going to do it twice in four films. He's on his own truncated trajectory, which is fine by me.

It's definitely a breath of fresh air, I only hope they don't use it to the point of being overly repetitious.

The song is an oddity though. I mean, if you think about it, most the Bond ballads tend to be at least a little upbeat; NDIB, ATH, DAF, hell even WHATTITW was more upbeat than this. lol It's just so boring aside from the orchestration. I think WOTW would've benefited highly from more percussion. Not necessarily the whole song but maybe near the back-half. Maybe even a little electric guitar in the back to blend in with the strings to make it feel a little more 'alive.' I still feel it kinda goes nowhere and then just hits a brick wall.
    Glad that some are enjoying it but I cant find the positives, we all know that the biggest romance we have seen is within OHMSS (and rightly so as every man on the planet would want to marry Ms Rigg) but even then, the main titles were not romantic themes. The romance was kept as the subplot with Bond fighting the bad guys beinging the main thrust (as usual), unless this movie is a fully fledged romantic drama, then it just does not fit the main theme of the movie. As for the video, again, you could take the romantic shots of OHMSS and edit it with shots of Louis Armstrong and it would be a great video bit not representative of the film overall. I have always thought that the titles are there to get you "in the mood" for the movie as a whole.
    PS as with OHMSS, the title indicates what the film is about, its about Spectre, its not called "Love Fall" or something similar.
  • RC7RC7
    patb wrote: »
    Glad that some are enjoying it but I cant find the positives, we all know that the biggest romance we have seen is within OHMSS (and rightly so as every man on the planet would want to marry Ms Rigg) but even then, the main titles were not romantic themes. The romance was kept as the subplot with Bond fighting the bad guys beinging the main thrust (as usual), unless this movie is a fully fledged romantic drama, then it just does not fit the main theme of the movie. As for the video, again, you could take the romantic shots of OHMSS and edit it with shots of Louis Armstrong and it would be a great video bit not representative of the film overall. I have always thought that the titles are there to get you "in the mood" for the movie as a whole.
    PS as with OHMSS, the title indicates what the film is about, its about Spectre, its not called "Love Fall" or something similar.

Do you not think it's a little presumptuous to suggest 'this does not fit the main theme of the movie'?

If SF is anything to go by, this films will tackle multiple themes and subplots. The idea behind WOTW is likely key to the story, as defined by Mendes, otherwise he wouldn't use it.

• I have to say its growing on me. I still think it would be better with a different singer. But i no longer dislike it!
    I am assuming SPECTRE and Bond fighting against Spectre is the main theme? I think that's a fair assumption? Can Bond's love life be the main theme?
  • RC7RC7
    I am assuming SPECTRE and Bond fighting against Spectre is the main theme? I think that's a fair assumption? Can Bond's love life be the main theme?

I don't really think you can call Bond fighting SPECTRE a theme, it's part of the plot, sure. If you pick apart SF's numerous themes, Adele could've written about any one of them and they'd have all been equally appropriate. And like I said, Mendes clearly thinks this theme tune taps into something very relevant to the film. They aren't operating in the same way they have done in the past. YKMN is a prime example that you can play with the content and don't have to shoehorn a title in because history dictates it.
    Thats fair and Skyfall was a complex film (relatively) and Silver and Bond's relationship with M was crucial but, in context of what punters see for the first time within the opening titles. Outside of the Bond fandom bubble, most punters will have very little what to expect other than the routine rollercoaster ride that Bond has supplied over the years. We are told this is the biggest Bond ever and it does look big from the trailers so many, were looking forward to a big song.
  • RC7RC7
    Thats fair and Skyfall was a complex film (relatively) and Silver and Bond's relationship with M was crucial but, in context of what punters see for the first time within the opening titles. Outside of the Bond fandom bubble, most punters will have very little what to expect other than the routine rollercoaster ride that Bond has supplied over the years. We are told this is the biggest Bond ever and it does look big from the trailers so many, were looking forward to a big song.

I get that, but I am in the fandom bubble and have no real interest in what Joe Public expects from a Bond film. The most successful and inventive films in the canon occur when they subvert expectation.