Spectre title song - Writing's on the Wall

Comments

• edited September 2015 Posts: 1,552
    What you on about. Why is it bothering you. I'm simply giving my opinion on the theme songs.
    That film was poor. Any bond fan should realise that. Yes, it has its moments, but that wonkey camera work and the forgettable, uninspiring villain didn't help. But skyfall and spectre bring Daniel's era to a more memorable, solid end.

The worst two bond films. Die another Day and Quantum of Solace.

This isn't stating something as an opinion, here you're stating it as a fact that everyone should follow. Whilst it's not universally praised, there are fans that rank QoS and enjoy both it and it's title track. This does not make them any less of a Bond fan than you or I. It's all opinion and should be stated as such.
    I;m just saying, for any long time bond fan, you should know that AWTD doesn't meet the standards of a great bond theme. It was rather poor
    Have you ever hear of the word "Subjective"?
  • CatchingBulletsCatchingBullets facebook.com/catchingbullets
    edited September 2015 Posts: 292
    @JC Rendle is right. It is all subjective. QUANTUM OF SOLACE is a solid Bond movie that time will be very kind to. Slick, slim and very contemporary - what's not to like.
  • CatchingBulletsCatchingBullets facebook.com/catchingbullets
    edited September 2015 Posts: 292
    Shardlake wrote: »
    To be honest the likelihood is that none of the Craig themes like the Brosnan ones are likely to age outside of the films or the fan base as they are generally not that memorable. They look good on the credits but unlike the classic Barry songs they don't really live outside of that, no one is likely to be humming WOTW or SF in 10 years time.

By picking the flavour of the month artists they pretty much guarantee that, the song is just a marketing tool and nothing really much more, I understand the reasoning. Adele's theme played into big time SF's box office and they are thinking Sam Smith will do the same but produce a classic that stands the test of time, no I don't think this something they are really bothered about.

To think BB & MGW said it's going to one of the best themes of the series. Seriously it isn't and that just pure hyperbole, no way is this going to compare with Barry's best.

EVERY Bond song has been a marketing tool.

• Um, I will be humming them in ten years time. For me Bond sarongs don't come and go. They aren't the flavour of the month when a new Bond film is about to be released. They are part of my love of music and in constant rotation and on my mind from time to time, being hummed in the shower and played out in my head cycling to work. I love the rich and varried collection of eclectic arris it's and styles and appreciate them no matter how popular individually rather than saying oh FYEO isn't as good as LALD so it's crap.
  • RC7RC7
    edited September 2015 Posts: 10,512
    To be honest the likelihood is that none of the Craig themes like the Brosnan ones are likely to age outside of the films or the fan base as they are generally not that memorable. They look good on the credits but unlike the classic Barry songs they don't really live outside of that, no one is likely to be humming WOTW or SF in 10 years time.

By picking the flavour of the month artists they pretty much guarantee that, the song is just a marketing tool and nothing really much more, I understand the reasoning. Adele's theme played into big time SF's box office and they are thinking Sam Smith will do the same but produce a classic that stands the test of time, no I don't think this something they are really bothered about.

To think BB & MGW said it's going to one of the best themes of the series. Seriously it isn't and that just pure hyperbole, no way is this going to compare with Barry's best.

Yes. Bond films are primarily mainstream entertainment, I'm not sure why this film would/should be any different. Maybe they should get 'Sleaford Mods' to do the next theme, just to satisfy the eclectic musos.
  • According to the Mirror, Adele turned down a whopping £ 5 MILLION offer to record SP theme song. Smith then took the job.
    According to the Mirror...
    stopped reading

:))
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited September 2015 Posts: 23,883
    According to the Mirror, Adele turned down a whopping £ 5 MILLION offer to record SP theme song. Smith then took the job.

Thank goodness. Smart move on her part. Never come right back again after having success like she had. They (media) will always try to knock you down and everyone will just compare to the previous one.... Give it a break, and then return if you want to.
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 330
    Anyone stopping up at midnight to see if they launch the song. I'm at work till 11.00 anyway, so ill be checking just in case. I was hoping they would but it doesn't seem very likely. As with skyfall, they had an actually countdown to midnight with the music video.

If anyone finds anything useful on a midnight launch, please let me know. I know the radio will play it around7ish, but surely the bond producers will want it first aired on 007.com or something first ?

Could it be leaked beforehand. Maybe a radio station from another country ? I know we don't have to wait long now. Its out tomorrow. But I would love to come home from work and have the chance to listen to it. Wishful thinking.

I'm hoping to goes live on here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3Pa0DVzVkqEN_CwsNMapqg at midnight.
  • RC7RC7
    Smith looking suitably Bondian...

Sam-Smith-British-GQ-October-2015-Cover-Photo-Shoot.jpg

Buzzing about hearing the theme.
  • RC7 wrote: »
    Smith looking suitably Bondian...

Sam-Smith-British-GQ-October-2015-Cover-Photo-Shoot.jpg

Buzzing about hearing the theme.

I had a dream last night......that I heard the song for the first time.....and I disliked it :-/.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Cool. Big fan of Jude Law.
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    It's the 25th in Australia...
  • TuxedoTuxedo Europe
    You better not tell Keith Richards that his name is on THAT cover too ;)
  • Sam Smith really has become a hotty in just two years time. I like to date him. And together with Ben Whishaw we go to the nicest gay roof terrace bar in Amsterdam or Barcelona. Drinking LOTSSS of wodka-martini's :-P.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Sam Smith really has become a hotty in just two years time. I like to date him. And together with Ben Whishaw we go to the nicest gay roof terrace bar in Amsterdam or Barcelona. Drinking LOTSSS of wodka-martini's :-P.

Not sure what would happen afterwards but the words 'cucumber sandwich' come to mind!!
    B-)
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    :-&
    Sam Smith really has become a hotty in just two years time. I like to date him. And together with Ben Whishaw we go to the nicest gay roof terrace bar in Amsterdam or Barcelona. Drinking LOTSSS of wodka-martini's :-P.

Not sure what would happen afterwards but the words 'cucumber sandwich' come to mind!!
    B-)

That's spoiled cucumber sandwiches for me for life!

• PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO

Oh, @Gustav_Graves, you make me laugh a lot. Q could show you his gadget.
  • brinkeguthriebrinkeguthrie Piz Gloria
    iTunes USA. Where. Is. It.
    Ok, what's going on with this song? Is it going to be released at midnight UK time or at some point during the day tomorrow?
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    =bg= wrote: »
    iTunes USA. Where. Is. It.

haha I got so excited when I read the first half of your 5 word post, and then got disappointed again when I finished it ;)

• dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Ok, what's going on with this song? Is it going to be released at midnight UK time or at some point during the day tomorrow?

Wondering this too. That would mean Spectre theme in 5 hours :D

I imagine it goes up.on Smith's YouTube and 007.com at midnight UK time, and on iTunes USA at midnight ET.
    so 6 hours we will get the theme song?
  • eddychaputeddychaput Montreal, Canada
    edited September 2015 Posts: 364
    Some of these comments have had me wondering: when on the 25th is it being released. Midnight UK time? sometime during the day?

It's funny, but the closer we get to its release, the more I'm having that little itch, down there, to finally hear the damn thing. I'm showing less patience than I was weeks ago.
    Risico007 wrote: »
    so 6 hours we will get the theme song?
    only speculation - I think the only official(ish) timing is that Capital FM will be playing the track after 7.50am tomorrow. Anything else is speculation and hope.

antovolk wrote: »

I imagine it goes up.on Smith's YouTube and 007.com at midnight UK time, and on iTunes USA at midnight ET.

Terrific. I'll stay up then.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England

Yes but until Adele and Smith they didn't pick hugely popular artists of the moment for the job of singing the theme.

The success of Skyfall has now made them think they need a worldwide smash every time with a mega selling artist of the last few years and they'll feel they need to repeat it again and again.

We are going to be getting facsimiles of Bond classics for foreseeable future rather than something that shakes the formula up.

This is the thing some bitch about the series being shaken up and not going down the tribute route and not alluding to the past like the constant threads about SF being slagged off or Craig's Bond wearing a white tux like Connery did but Sam Smith's song which is going to be alluding to the classic era is OK with the likes of RC7 but he'll go on about images and plot points being recycled but it's fine to have xerox of the past for the theme, if it's not a unadventurous sound alike song I'll be incredibly surprised.

• edited September 2015 Posts: 11,425
    This is total nonsense. EON have been picking flavour of the month artists right from the start. Matt Monroe, Bassey, Sinatra, Lulu, Easton, Duran Duran, A-ha. They were all big at the time.

What you could say is that from LTK on wards they had a long period when the singers were probably a bit past their prime. And now Bond has regained a bit the cultural cudos it has lost for a long time, they're once again able to attract the biggest and best popular entertainers of the moment.

Smith is absolutely in the EON tradition of picking the latest thing to sing the theme song.