the NFL thread

Comments

HASEROT wrote: »
    FoxRox wrote: »
    I just have to ask @haserot... what brought you to be both a Pittsburgh and Cleveland fan?

pretty weird huh?? Considering that I am born and raised in Cleveland, but I am diehard (not bandwagon) Steelers fan? lol..

my father was born and raised outside of Pittsburgh (a little coal mining town).. he grew up a Steelers fan... he moved to Cleveland, met my mother, the rest i am sure is easy to figure how I came to be lol.. but I remember at a young age, when first getting into football, being with my dad and watching Steelers games - and the very first game i remember was the 1995 Divisional game between the Browns and Steelers - Steelers won of course.. i was 10 at the time, so yeah, I've been a fan of the Steelers ever since - plus my mom and my two older sisters also grew up Steelers fans too (because of my dad).... so thats how that happened.... and it peeves me off when i get called a bandwagoner or front runner by people around here.... #1, i can't help it if your Browns suck lol.. #2, this was the team my family grew up rooting for, so i was kind of born into it....... but i digress..

my love for the Indians (and i am more a baseball fan than a football fan) started when i was young, i remember going to games in the old mistake by the lake stadium - back when the team stunk it up.. but i really didn't start getting into them until 1994 - 1995, when they had those really good teams all through the mid to late 90s... it was a perfect storm of me starting to get into baseball, starting to play baseball - and back then, you couldn't go anywhere without seeing Indians stuff hanging up, or jerseys, they were the toast of the town... so i naturally gravitated towards them....

the Cavaliers just comes from them being the local basketball team - and i've followed them for most of my life as well, but not as closely as the other two, until recently - like the past 12 years or so, even before we drafted Lebron i started following them a little more closely - but when we got him, i started getting more and more into it.. even when he left i remained a loyal Cavs fan.. and now that he's back, i am still a loyal Cavs fan...

but baseball and football will always be my #1 and #2 sports..

but when it comes to Hockey, I am a Penguins fan lol.... so my allegiances are when it comes to sports teams are literally split 50/50 between Cleveland and Pittsburgh.

That is interesting. It's Chicago/Baltimore sports for me. And yes, being falsely accused of bandwagoning is quite annoying...
    Congrats To New England for their win. Disappointed for my Seahawks team but atleast we got to the final to defend our championship.
  • edited February 2015 Posts: 4,622
    Nice job. I was rooting for the Pats. Thought they had it in the bag when Brady tossed for the final TD on short yardage.
    That's how you do an in-close TD pass. Send it wide to one of your big man. That way if you miss, no danger.
    But trying to jam it down the middle in a crowd. Nuts. It's as if Wilson couldn't factor that Butler was close enough to step in front.

Carroll called the play but Wilson's got to execute. ie drill it so hard at the receiver that no defender can get their mitts on it.

Anyway I was rooting for the Pats. Stupid reason, but I do love the way Belichick made mockery of the whole deflategate soap opera with his crazy straight-faced science lecture.
    I was laughing my head off, watching him lecture on psi, and air pressure and referencing scientists no-one outside science circles had ever heard of, technical comparisons to cold car engines. :))
    I am amazed he kept a straight face. It's as if he was saying - "you want to play this stupid game? All right, bring it! I got so much bs to baffle with here, it will make your head spin."

That's what I love about Belichick. All he cares about is winning.
    It was priceless to see the look on Sherman's face when the Pats picked off that ill advised pass. Not much of a Pats or Brady or Bellichek fan, but I despise Pete Carroll and his classless bunch of assholes even more.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited February 2015 Posts: 4,399
    timmer wrote: »
    Carroll called the play but Wilson's got to execute. ie drill it so hard at the receiver that no defender can get their mitts on it.

first.. you should've just stopped with "Carroll called the play."... because it was the dumbest play to be called in the history of the NFL.. I can't blame Wilson for a play that had no business for being called in the first place...... now, the play itself - Wilson fired it in there as best he could, it just is what it is...
    OHMSS69 wrote: »
    but I despise Pete Carroll and his classless bunch of assholes even more.

I wouldn't call Tom Brady or Bill Belichick the definition of "class" either.... if the Seahawks are classless - then by that standard, Tom and Bill must be the devil lol.
  • edited February 2015 Posts: 4,622
    I do think Wilson blew it too. With the game on the line, the qb's got to be ready to adjust. Carroll did say afterwards, that the pass was a throwaway. If they score fine, but he was prepared to throw it away too, and then go to the run, on the next two plays.
    That's what he said the plan was. He said the Pats had lined up for heavy goal-line stand (although what other formation are they going to use?) so Carroll thought he'd try to work around it initially, not give them what they were set up for.
    Pats had 8 men crowded on the ball, and three defenders one-on-one on the receivers, including Butler.
    Butler even said he almost anticipated the throw because he figured they would pick on him, the rookie, and he was right.

So I do think, it was on Wilson not to force the play, if it wasn't there. He did have the option of throwing it away, ie in such a way that there is no way its intercepted and also no way caught.
    I think a more experienced QB would have found away to throw the ball or eat it, but Wilson's a good soldier, so he did his best to go whole-hog on Plan A. Intereception Pats.

Carroll should never have put a young qb in such a position. Dumb call. Too risky.
    It was an ill advised play to call. Too complicated with too many moving parts. Kearse blew his assignment to shield or imped Butler and the guy had a direct route to where the pass was going. Lockett is not a top notch receiver (Seattle is dearly lacking in them) and he did not fight harder for the ball. I guarantee you that Calvin Johnson or Dez Bryant would have fought for the ball.

In regard to classless, I was shocked at how the Seahawks had to start that crazy brawl with less than 20 seconds remaining. Assholes were champions, conduct yourselves accordingly but not Pete Carroll or any bottom feeding team he coaches.

BTW for those who had no idea what Doug Baldwin did to draw the celebration penalty (also Revis had shut his mediocre ass down the whole game he got the TD because Revis was impeded by the referee)
    Anyway, for those who don't know: He mimicked dropping his pants and taking a dump in the end zone.

Yeah, a real class act those Seahawks....
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    BTW for those who had no idea what Doug Baldwin did to draw the celebration penalty (also Revis had shut his mediocre ass down the whole game he got the TD because Revis was impeded by the referee)
    Anyway, for those who don't know: He mimicked dropping his pants and taking a dump in the end zone.

Yeah, a real class act those Seahawks....

i try not the hold the actions of an individual as the standard for how a whole team acts - i did see that, and i thought too that was in bad taste... some will point to Sherman and how he talks... well, IMO, he has earned the right to run his mouth - because no one wants to throw his direction, and most of the time he makes them pay when they do..
    In regard to classless, I was shocked at how the Seahawks had to start that crazy brawl with less than 20 seconds remaining. Assholes were champions, conduct yourselves accordingly but not Pete Carroll or any bottom feeding team he coaches.

I wasn't... was it uncalled for? of course... but emotions are running high, especially with how the whole game turned upside down in 10 seconds - frustrations are going to boil over.. it happens.. i think the refs handled it well... i've seen the same things happen in countless other games in my 20 years of watching the NFL that that doesn't surprise me - again, considering the circumstances of what just took place, i kind of saw it coming before it happened.... I don't think that makes the Seahawks classless, or thugs, or punks... they were just extremely upset, sad, pissed off, devastated - and whatever other emotion you can possibly throw in there..... but like i said, still not excusable - but i understand...

what i consider classless - is when a winning team, goes to their opponent's midfield logo at the 50 yard line, and starts stomping on the logo after winning... thats something a certain Super Bowl winning team did a few years ago... thats something i will never forget seeing, and something that really changed my opinion of them forever.
    I think there are a number of people who need to take a reality check on here and calm down.
    @haserot Don't make excuses and blame it on emotions running high. The Seahawks are not the first team to lose a close Super Bowl. Cincy did not fight the 49ers after Montana broke their hearts in 1989...Dallas never fought Pittsburgh following Super Bowls X and XIII...
    More recently Green Bay did not resort to a brawl after loosing that wild NFC title game. There is no excuse whatsover for fighting after a game that is a contact sport. If the Carrollites don't like contact then let them take up golf.
    Bottom feeding egg sucking chicken stealing jerks
    @haserot Don't make excuses and blame it on emotions running high. The Seahawks are not the first team to lose a close Super Bowl. Cincy did not fight the 49ers after Montana broke their hearts in 1989...Dallas never fought Pittsburgh following Super Bowls X and XIII...
    More recently Green Bay did not resort to a brawl after loosing that wild NFC title game. There is no excuse whatsover for fighting after a game that is a contact sport. If the Carrollites don't like contact then let them take up golf.
    Bottom feeding egg sucking chicken stealing jerks

did i say it was an excuse for their actions?... No... I merely stated my opinion on where their behavior was stemming from. The win was right there, and then it got taken away... i would be pissed off too - i don't know if you've ever played a sport, where you were so emotionally invested, that having a near win ripped away from you - just what that can do to you emotionally.. you go from one extreme to other in a split second - then you're told to go out there and defend - naturally some guys aren't going to be able to handle that, and they are going to lash out...... in no way was i making an excuse for what they did - you must've missed that part when i said that, or you must not know the difference between making an excuse and suggesting a reason as to why... Me saying "I understand where they are coming from" is not me saying "I excuse what they did." - please don't misunderstand, misquote, or put words in my mouth....

but in other news....

B9Bx7l0IMAE_A891_zpsc273b5d0.jpg

way to keep it classy Patriots...... smdh
    It was an ill advised play to call. Too complicated with too many moving parts. Kearse blew his assignment to shield or imped Butler and the guy had a direct route to where the pass was going. Lockett is not a top notch receiver (Seattle is dearly lacking in them) and he did not fight harder for the ball. I guarantee you that Calvin Johnson or Dez Bryant would have fought for the ball.
    Yes, there was a lot wrong with that play call and execution, never mind that it should never have been called in the first place.
    Butler did have too easy a time grabbing the ball. He basically shoved Lockett out of the way.
    I think this play actually helps demontrate how the Pats are the better team. The Seahawks didn't have the right personnel to execute such a play. Carroll didn't have the horses
    This is disturbing :\"> Some of these guys are serious barbarians. :))
    which reminds me...@kerim is there anything new on the quarteback chat page?
    Brady must be beside himself.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    This is pretty good, but it looks like this may be the last of them.

profootballmock.com/facebookchat/nfl-qbs-facebook-goodbye-farewell-amen/
    Kerim wrote: »
    This is pretty good, but it looks like this may be the last of them.

profootballmock.com/facebookchat/nfl-qbs-facebook-goodbye-farewell-amen/
    That was too funny! :))
    Belichick
    HEY AMERICA, ANYONE WANNA WEIGH MY BALLS NOW? BECAUSE THEY SURE DO FEEL BIGGER THAN NORMAL! AHAHAHAHA.
    :))
    He'll be back when he's ready I think, (the author) When the spirit moves him.
    Great stuff while it lasted!
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    Feel like this thread needs to be bumped with the new season. My Bengals started out in impressive fashion, 33-13 against Oakland (and Oakland's points came in garbage time). Eli Manning made the stupidest decision of week one by throwing the ball out of the endzone instead of taking a sack, giving the Cowboys 1:30~ to drive down the field instead of :50~. It was justice that Dallas drove down the field with no timeouts and scored with :07.
    Yeah I agree.

But on the bright side, New Orleans handed the Cards the game.
    Horribly disappointed by the way the Bears and Ravens lost; both definitely could have won their games :( and losing Suggs was the worst of all. Hopefully next week goes better.
    Re: Suggs tearing his achilles: couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.
    Great game between the Seahawks and Rams! Shame we lost that's all! X_X
    The Cardinals made the Bears look like Cubs.
    Some good ones today. Bengals win again, but a lot of upsets. Browns>Titans, Bucs>Saints, Raiders>Stealers.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited September 2015 Posts: 7,964
    Ah. I feel an era for my Saints is ending. It was a good run for Payton and Brees but all good things come to an end.
    What the heck Ravens; if it's not one thing it's another. Defense great last week, horrible today. Offense atrocious last week, great today. We're on a course for 0-4 unless some serious changes take place. As for the Bears, I'm more than ready for Week 3's game to already be over too. So far for me this is the season from hell XD
    You're all welcome to the Cardinals bandwagon.
    Can't do it XD no matter how much my teams might suck I'll always love them somehow. If I was a bandwagoner though the Cardinals look pretty good about now. I have to congratulate you on the victory anyway; I have nothing against the Cards.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    FoxRox wrote: »
    As for the Bears, I'm more than ready for Week 3's game to already be over too. So far for me this is the season from hell XD
    Yeah, it really sucks. I didn't enter the season with high expectations but they gave us hope with how well they played against Green Bay last week. Now it just seems completely hopeless.
    edited September 2015 Posts: 4,399
    \m/ =D> :O) >:)

GO STEELERS!

this video always gets me jacked up for Sundays :)

2 losses for my team. Never mind!
    Sure hurts to be a Ravens/Bears fan right now. But I'm still excited about the epic Ravens-Steelers rivalry get reignited; those games are always my absolute favorites.
    Very proud of my Seahawks shutting out the Bears last night. Now we need to repair our poor start to the season! Going to be hard catching those Cardinals!