Spectre title song - Writing's on the Wall

Comments

• mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    I hope it's not as bad as this:

=))

=)) ...well better than AWTD at least.
  • Shardlake wrote: »
    As much as a missed opportunity AWTD was I'll listen to it over Crowe's dirge, Garbage's funeral march and that Madonna tune.

With all due respect, I do think that post-Dalton, Garbage's "The World Is Not Enough" really is the best Bond title track after "Skyfall". It's an enigmatic piece of music, with mysterious slow-tempo melodies and the last Bond song with the magnificent lyrics of Don Black. I especially love the movie person:

But also the instrumental version is great:

• AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    edited September 2015 Posts: 1,727
    I am seeing a lot of hate towards Sam Smith doing the Bond theme in the general media.

That's because everybody realises Sam Smith was only chosen because he was the most successful British artist in the last two years. It's only about money, a theme which seems to stay with EON more than ever before, and that is kind of sad. Mainstreaming Bond to death seems wrong.
    I said it before and say it again, the billion dollar Bond will turn out to be a curse in the long run.

Spot. On.
  • AntiLocqueBrakesAntiLocqueBrakes The edge
    edited September 2015 Posts: 538
    Don't mind them picking the hottest new "thing" around. Adele just crushed it.

What I'm hoping for...
    1) Lyrics: Don't say "Spectre" in the song…or ghost, apparition, spook. Use metaphors. Tell a story.
    2) Music: No production tricks (Autotune, electronica, disco version). Just band, orchestra, voice.
    3) Voice: Just sing. In Smith's range. No screaming.
  • So, that first song I posted called La La La, Is it sam smith singing ?
  • Who will be stopping up till midnight for the launch of Writings on the wall ?????
    edited September 2015 Posts: 1,727
    Who will be stopping up till midnight for the launch of Writings on the wall ?????

Not me, for one. Totally underwhelmed by yet another bland choice by Babs & co.

The 'lowest-common-denominator-virus' strikes yet again...
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 330
    AceHole wrote: »
    Who will be stopping up till midnight for the launch of Writings on the wall ?????

I'm not even certain they will do a midnight launch, but I believe they will do. They did with skyfall. But i'm certainly stopping up to listen. Despite the uninspiring choice, and ive said how much I don't like sam smith's music, apart from one song, I'm still excited. I'm that much of a bond fan I still get excited for things like this. I'm still intrigued by what it will sound like mostly.

Who else is stopping up for midnight ? which I presume will be 7 minutes past 12 lol.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    I'll be up. I pre-ordered it on iTunes, so I'll listen to it approx. 5 minutes past midnight :D
  • I'll be up. I pre-ordered it on iTunes, so I'll listen to it approx. 5 minutes past midnight :D

This is what I don't understand. On iTunes, why does it say release date 28th ?? I'm in uk and that's what it shows on my I tunes store.

Have you looked at the list of past Bond song artists? It's hardly a list of the coolest avant garde experimentalists. Smith is very much in line with past artists in that he's mainstream and not too going to rock the boat. The main difference is that he's popular right now and not several years passed his prime.

The way people post on here sometimes you would think Bond was high art, rather than mainstream popular entertainment.
  • I agree to that. I think Sam will do a decent job with some classic tune that will suite the films mood.

Please can someone clear up some confusion over the song. I know its released on 25th, but where exactly can you hear the song, because I tunes ha s adate for 28th Monday ??

What website will have the song released at midnight ?
    I agree to that. I think Sam will do a decent job with some classic tune that will suite the films mood.

Please can someone clear up some confusion over the song. I know its released on 25th, but where exactly can you hear the song, because I tunes ha s adate for 28th Monday ??

You have something confused.
    Release date is OCTOBER, 23rd 2015
  • I agree to that. I think Sam will do a decent job with some classic tune that will suite the films mood.

I don't. It's been confirmed officially for September 25!!!! ????? Even on radio 1 with the interview with sam. He said 25th ?
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 330
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-34176304 It's 25th September globally. so how do I have something confused ?

So my question is, why does I tunes say the following Monday, 28th of September ? Where can I listen to it on 25th ?

Ive just double checked my I tunes. It says pre order expected 28th September, but that's obviously wrong then.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-34176304 It's 25th September globally. so how do I have something confused ?

So my question is, why does I tunes say the following Monday, 28th of September ? Where can I listen to it on 25th ?

I think it will just launch on Smith's YouTube/VEVO channel on the 25th. Global Digital release/iTunes on 28th, physical CD/Vinyl release October 23.
    I agree to that. I think Sam will do a decent job with some classic tune that will suite the films mood.

I don't. It's been confirmed officially for September 25!!!! ????? Even on radio 1 with the interview with sam. He said 25th ?

Amazon Germany sells it on Oct., 23rd.

I assume that's the CD and not the MP3 download.
    antovolk wrote: »

I assume that's the CD and not the MP3 download.

Correct.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    bondsum wrote: »
    Absolutelly, @jake24. Newman has no excuses for not including Sam Smith's song more prominently than Adele's SF number. Though my betting is Newman won't want to defile his latest New Age musical masterpiece with an actual melody. I hope I'm wrong.

His "New Age" music indeed does produce masterpieces. Not too many composers have "melodies" so iconic that they're turned into pre-loaded Apple ringtones (as is the case with American Beauty). ;)
    Getafix wrote: »

Have you looked at the list of past Bond song artists? It's hardly a list of the coolest avant garde experimentalists. Smith is very much in line with past artists in that he's mainstream and not too going to rock the boat. The main difference is that he's popular right now and not several years passed his prime.

The way people post on here sometimes you would think Bond was high art, rather than mainstream popular entertainment.

Hope springs eternal...
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Here we go again...
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I want to start mentally cataloguing everyone who is already trashing this song (even though it is weeks from release), just to see who is eating their words once it's out and they are fangirl screaming about how incredible it is.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Don't like Sam Smith, so can't imagine I'll like the title song. Was hoping for an instrumental a la OHMSS…oh well.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited September 2015 Posts: 7,526
    Don't like Sam Smith, so can't imagine I'll like the title song. Was hoping for an instrumental a la OHMSS…oh well.

Technically, *technically* we don't know if Sam Smith will be singing on the track; maybe he just wrote us an instrumental! ;)

EDIT: Ah, I'm sure it says somewhere that he's singing the Bond theme... :P

Anyway I haven't heard too much of Sam's stuff but the stuff I've heard I liked. I think he'll be able to deliver a good theme, but time will tell.
  • antovolk wrote: »

I think it will just launch on Smith's YouTube/VEVO channel on the 25th. Global Digital release/iTunes on 28th, physical CD/Vinyl release October 23.

Ah right, thank you for letting me know :) much appreciated
  • Garth007Garth007 Missouri, USA
    Hey is writings on the wall available to pre order on iTunes yet?
    Garth007 wrote: »

Yes, but not in the US it seems.

• Garth007Garth007 Missouri, USA
    Bah :( US itunes dropping the ball again *sigh*
    edited September 2015 Posts: 9,020
    Garth007 wrote: »

It is. At least in Switzerland.