Daniel Craig says he doesn't want to do another Bond; Spectre may be his last

Comments

• Well, whilst I think it's nonsense, that's not what I take from the term origin story..at least in this context

This isn't the 007 origin, this is explaining the origins of James Bond...the man. You could do that as the final film in the series of you wished. We are just learning more of his background as a boy. CR to, arguably, Skyfall, gave us the origin of agent 007.
  • RC7RC7
    Well, whilst I think it's nonsense, that's not what I take from the term origin story..at least in this context

This isn't the 007 origin, this is explaining the origins of James Bond...the man. You could do that as the final film in the series of you wished. We are just learning more of his background as a boy. CR to, arguably, Skyfall, gave us the origin of agent 007.

This makes sense to me.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    I don't get the "fear" that many have that Craig could step down after Spectre.

It's 9 years now. Connery's run was 9 years.
    A shame that they didn't do more than 4 movies? Yes. But many here have repeatedly defended EON and stated that it would be "normal" nowadays to have a Bond movie every three years tops.

A decade is enough. If they do Bond 25 in 2017 it's ok, but surely then it must be over.
    A Craig after 50 is not desirable when he already looked aged in Skyfall and no, it wasn't because of his grayish beard. I just seen Skyfall and he doesn't look that great even in the PTS which is supposed to be before his "crash".

If EON really wants to have an actor again for a decade or possibly longer then they will have to go for an 32 year old next time.
    Craig was 38 when he did CR. In retrospect it was a mistake, they should have taken someone in the early 30's, it would also have made more sense with the rookie 00 agent idea.
    Jan1985 wrote: »
    bondsum wrote: »
    Yes, I read that bit also, @Jan1985 but I haven't read the final version of the script, or any previous ones for that matter, so I can't say if it's BS or not. Has anyone read the final shooting script here to call what he says BS? I don't know the answer? His responses don't strike me as that of a provocateur. I honestly believe what he's saying is what he's been told. Is his source pulling a fast one on him, we don't know.

The reason I mentioned the contracts is that they were used as a defence in recent posts as to why DC would be returning.

Yes, I read the december draft of the script, the latest one that got leaked.
    And you can do an interpretation of the events at the end of the movie in many different ways, but in no way it forbids the character to return in the version of Daniel Craig.

So if Craig leaves the franchise, he does it because he doesn't want to do another, not because it isn't possible for him to return.

For the record, I don't believe Bond dies. Well, I bloody hope not.

Granted, @DM's source has been especially vague from what I've read in his posts about why DC can't return. Did he actually state the death of 007 (did I miss that post?) or is it just something that's been arrived at because of the cryptic nature of his reply?
    Maybe someone who isn't familiar with the old Bond movies might think Bond's resignation alone from the service is a good enough reason for not returning, without knowing Dalton had done it before in LTK and it's an entirely reversible situation?

I don't know, @DM just doesn't strike me as a provocateur. What's in it for him? Why keep coming back when it's much easier for him to simply walk away? He obviously believes what he's been told and fancies he's got a scoop from a credible source. Maybe it's important for him that people here believe him because he doesn't like to be called a liar?

Cool that you've read the Dec draft, @Jan1985. I wonder how different the third act is, especially as Jez Butterworth has now got a screen credit? It must be hugely significant otherwise the Writer's Union wouldn't allow it.
    Bond dies?
    Now that would be great and make sure Spectre would bomb at the box office.
    Not even BB has gotten that crazy yet.
    I will sooner believe they have cast Chris Rock as the new James Bond.
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 6,601
    What's in it for him? Attention.

Why bother if anybody believes him or not, since we all don't know each other.

Why come on board with a cryptic message (pun intended) when not capable to put in any proof.^

He could be right, but I don't think, there is a reason to believe him more then any other, who come here spreading rumors without proof.
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 3,333
    I don't know, @Germanlady. I'm just not getting that attention seeking vibe from him. He would have to be a prolific poster to fall into that catogory IMHO. If it was just attention he was seeking he could cook up half a dozen more made-up scoops and continuously post them if that was his sole purpose.
    edited September 2015 Posts: 9,020
    I like rumours I admit it. It's fun reading them and choose to believe or not to believe in them. Talking about them, expand them, deny them :P

Here is not a rumour but a fact that I'm going to tell you and it's not cryptic:

I know exactly when Daniel Craig is replaced by another actor:
    read on your own risk:
    The second a new actor gets announced by EON
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 2,015
    Great, dmalker took care to post his infos only inside the LEAKS thread, and now once again some are putting the info outside it just to prove "how disrespectful/phony this guy is".

Moreover, people who didn't read the leaks thread now only have a simplistic version of what he reported (it doesn't sound so phony at all, and well we have yet to have a scoop given here proven to be wrong about SPECTRE :) !)

I'm afraid it's really, really time for whose wishing to stay spoiler-free to leave the forum. The LEAKS thread was a success of containing major infos (lots of people could write "Right" or "Wrong" to many hypothesis about SPECTRE written here and there in the forum.. but they let others play and have fun...), but now more and more you'll have people wanting to "make their point" using the leaks I'm afraid.
  • Glad you stuck that behind a spoiler - unfortunately I couldn't resist...it's completely ruined the surprise! :((
  • RC7RC7
    Despite the speculation, the last thing that's on my mind right now is, 'who's going to be the next Bond?' I don't even think it's a discussion of any merit just yet. DC is Bond in SP. After that, perhaps this conversation can be had.
    Glad you stuck that behind a spoiler - unfortunately I couldn't resist...it's completely ruined the surprise! :((

Yeah, you know how it goes: Curiosity killed the Thepastykid :)
    RC7 wrote: »
    Despite the speculation, the last thing that's on my mind right now is, 'who's going to be the next Bond?' I don't even think it's a discussion of any merit just yet. DC is Bond in SP. After that, perhaps this conversation can be had.

You have a point, but then after a decade people starting discussion the succession is kind of a normal development I think.
    Thing is, those discussions never really ended. On all boards, there always is a thread of "Who is the next Bond". Even right after CR.

Lets see, what the 8th brings us.
  • RC7RC7
    RC7 wrote: »

You have a point, but then after a decade people starting discussion the succession is kind of a normal development I think.

I think the discussion is ongoing, everybody wonders 'who will be next', even after a debut movie. What I mean is that there's 'heavy' speculation right now on the eve of a new film. I don't think it's that relevant given everything we have and will have to discuss re. SP. It will become more relevant, but I don't think it warrants being such a hot topic on here (at points more so than the film it seems) until we have a few more facts in place. We have a rumour and a quote from DC taken out of context. For me personally I just want to enjoy the moment, enjoy the film and what will be will be. I don't think it's an issue right now.
    I know for a fact he only did Tomb Raider for the money and in the hope that it would raise his stock so he could work with established directors he admired, he told me that himself.

That makes perfect sense.
    What I dont know is what he truly thinks of Bond because I only met him six years before CR. I never got the impression he was a Bond fan though. What I do think is that the Bond money was just too good an opportunity for him to turn down, so he took it on without thinking too far ahead and what ramifications it would have on him making smaller and more personal pictures that I know he would rather make.

What ramifications, though? Apart from the obvious fact that making a Bond movie is a long, no doubt exhausting process. He can still do smaller films in between if he chooses to. Between SF and SP he just chose not to.

• WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    edited September 2015 Posts: 3,157
    I like rumours I admit it. It's fun reading them and choose to believe or not to believe in them. Talking about them, expand them, deny them :P

Here is not a rumour but a fact that I'm going to tell you and it's not cryptic:

I know exactly when Daniel Craig is replaced by another actor:
    read on your own risk:
    The second a new actor gets announced by EON

You shouldn't be talking about leaks, you know :))

(I'm joking, obviously)
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 6,601
    I am 90% sure really after reading the man for around 9 years, that all the "I wanted to get out etc" was his usual, not overly diplomatic sense of humour, most don't get, because he spits them out so matter of factly. For example, what you quoted about using it as toilet paper was just about contracts having that much worth, not that he wanted to use his in such way etc. etc.

So, at the end of the day, I say, he never actually meant any of the "I wanted to leave from the beginning" because there are too many other comments, given in private even (posted by one of the members here, who knows a friend from LC days, who met him not long ago (during shooting at a party) and where he sounded quite differently.

DC often is his own enemy by being so little diplomatic in his interviews, so its no surprise, he often creates silly headlines himself.
    I also always thought "I wanted to get out..." was humour and quite obviously so. Not that I would really know, but that was my initial interpretation, which has never changed, and I've always been puzzled that so many took it as a serious comment.
    Tuulia wrote: »
    I also always thought "I wanted to get out..." was humour and quite obviously so. Not that I would really know, but that was my initial interpretation, which has never changed, and I've always been puzzled that so many took it as a serious comment.

Exactly...I said it lots of times and got ignored. :((
  • RC7RC7
    Tuulia wrote: »

There are a lot of people who take these things literally. Perhaps they get lost in translation, but then again, people don't listen when it's explained to them either. It's almost like people want to perpetuate these things.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    edited September 2015 Posts: 4,116
    trevanian wrote: »
    NicNac wrote: »
    aspie wrote: »
    I am not sadden by this development. I am actually quite appalled that Babs has relinquished so much control to Daniel. Do you think Cubby would have given creative control to Connery? Not likely. Co-producer, absolutely not!!! Time to bring some glamour back to Bond, maybe in this era of Miley and whoever the fad of the day it won't appeal to folks but Fleming's Bond had more class than this iteration. Btw- Dalton did the serious Bond better.
    God Almighty, sometimes these forums make me want to kill myself.

The forums I can usually take, it is the movies that usually piss me off.

And yeah, of course Dalton did serious Bond better.

Better than what?
    dmwalker wrote: »
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    HASEROT wrote: »
    You don't have to take my word for it: If what you're saying
    was true, Craig wouldn't even be hinting at leaving, would he? He'd have no choice but to stay. Talk about confirmation bias!

well with that kind of attitude - no, i wont take your word for it, thank you very much.. because who are you?... unless your name is either Barbara Broccoli, Michael Wilson, or Daniel Craig - your word means nothing to me.... it's just that, words... so step off...

now, in terms of what Craig says - he does this ALL THE TIME... he did it after CR, after QOS he seemed to have to an interesting remark about "i wish i could tear up my contract and wipe my ass with it.".. "I've been trying to get out of it since i first signed." .. and so on and so on... he also says "i'll keep doing them as long as they are successful." .. and.. "i'll keep doing them for as long as they (the producers) will have me around." ...... any "hints" you seem to want to claim he is subtly - or not so subtly dropping, christ - it's been going on for years - he'll talk about staying one minute, then wanting out the next.... it only gains traction now for whatever reason - possibly because he's getting close to 50, and that seems to be when Bond actors are put out to pasture.. or simply because, people don't know the length or the terms of his contract.. and i'm sure there is just as many people who think - well Pierce was out after 4 films, this is Craig's 4th - he'll probably be out as well..

My apologies. I foolishly assumed you had read the other posts in this thread or others; or perhaps some of the news items about Craig's recent comments; but clearly you're intent on taking "uninformed" to a whole new level.

Though I'd suggest to you that there are perhaps a few more people than just Broccoli, Wilson and Craig that understand how contracts work. Please let me know if I'm mistaken in this, as I'll have to consider firing my agent if not.

Interesting, though, that you choose to disregard Michael Wilson's statement on the "open" contract too, despite your unshakable belief in his acumen. You really should google "confirmation bias".

Aren't you the same guy that made some outrageous obtuse claim that you just couldn't believe the filmmakers did in another thread??

Sorry I can't stand pretense..

I'd answer your question if it made any grammatical sense. Do you want to have another go, maybe with the pertinent words included?

What I do know is that you've appeared on another thread advocating civility when I've personally found you to be one of the rudest people on here. So I guess you're okay with hypocrisy.

You know you are absolutely right. Rudeness is not appropriate.

I'm not what my response was trying to say ...that's what you get using a phone and watching three kids.

I am sorry I responded the way I did.

• edited September 2015 Posts: 4,619
    so he took it on without thinking too far ahead and what ramifications it would have on him making smaller and more personal pictures that I know he would rather make.
    He had plenty of time to make smaller and more personal films between Skyfall and Spectre, yet he didn't make any. And I don't think Craig has wanted to leave the franchise ever since CR, but I do think that now he wants to leave it. I'm with @dmwalker on this one, Spectre will be the last Bond film with Daniel Craig.
    Please no spoilers in here
  • He's way older than the character in the books. But nothing like later Moore age. He's done as many as Broz. Time to move on
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    So what if Brosnan did 4? Craig should round out a 5th, doing Bond 25 and then if he wants to leave or stay, whatever, not really fussed but 5 films given the unfortunate delays and set backs Craig's era has incurred is a very good run.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    edited September 2015 Posts: 2,138
    doubleoego wrote: »
    So what if Brosnan did 4? Craig should round out a 5th, doing Bond 25 and then if he wants to leave or stay, whatever, not really fussed but 5 films given the unfortunate delays and set backs Craig's era has incurred is a very good run.

I agree 100% but I think it is again worth pointing out Dan did not say he was done.

I don’t know. I really don’t know. [...] Honestly. I’m not trying to be coy. At the moment I can’t even conceive it.

But would he like to be in another Bond movie?

At this moment, no. I have a life and I’ve got to get on with it a bit. But we’ll see.

This someone tired after filming dreading the global publicity part of his job being asked immediately after filming has ended if he wants to go again. He has merely said not right now. I read the under text as he would like a year off before going again and it is whether EON and the studio (which wont be Sony remember there is still all of that to be sorted out) waiting on him. For every joke Dan says after each film to indicate he "wants out" has always been in jest. He loves making Bond movies.

Barbs will wait on him. Put my mortgage on both Dan and Mendes doing the next one being confirmed before the end of next year and in to production 2017 for a late 2017 release.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited September 2015 Posts: 23,883
    What his comments 100% indicate to me is that they have no plan as to which way to go post-SP, implying that B25 has not really been conceived or considered as a sequel to SP, which further implies that all cards are on the table going forward depending on the resolution of the studio situation and Craig/Mendes' preferences.

I really think Craig will choose to return only if Mendes is back again. I can't see another option except maybe Campbell again (if he wants it) or even Forster. I can't see Craig rewriting the wheel with another director at this stage. He doesn't strike me as that kind of guy.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    bondjames wrote: »
    What his comments 100% indicate to me is that they have no plan as to which way to go post-SP, implying that B25 has not really been conceived or considered as a sequel to SP, which further implies that all cards are on the table going forward depending on the resolution of the studio situation and Craig/Mendes' preferences.

I really think Craig will choose to return only if Mendes is back again. I can't see another option except maybe Campbell again (if he wants it) or even Forster. I can't see Craig rewriting the wheel with another director at this stage. He doesn't strike me as that kind of guy.

Agee 90% with you, but if it is a big director then I can't see Dan saying no. But I believe Mendes will complete his trilogy with Dan as Bond. After Skyfall Barbs said Dan was Bond and she hoped he still would be for many years to come, she has always said he is not going anywhere, that she would fight to keep him. Dan will be the best paid Bond, and probably one of the highest paid actors in Holywood come B25. Money talks.
    oh if Mendes is back Craig will 100% be back.
This discussion has been closed.