SPECTRE Production Timeline

Comments

• JWPepperJWPepper You sit on it, but you can't take it with you.
    I haven't commented on the poster. I waited till the moment I like it al little bit more.

But the poster is god-awful. I really don't like it. The worst Bondposter to date. I don't like the colors, the position of Bond, the style. Why the hell is Bond in his Skull-costume in the background? Don't like Craig's pose. It's a horrible photoshop and at first I thought it was a fanmade poster.

What I do like is the white tuxedo and the image of Craig would be OK as an production image. But not as a final poster.
    smitty wrote: »
    The Star Wars poster is a good point. This poster easily looks like it could be for the first SW film from about 40 years ago with some reworking of the faces. All the stuff in there is exactly the same. The stars are irrelevant. Apart from Ford, I don't even know who they are. SW is a pre-sold hit. SP is not. EON is going with what they perceive is their strength to sell the film, an established, recognizable Bond from 3 previous films.

I'm not focused on the poster. My concern is how great the film will be, and it's BO results, because there won't be another Bond for a long time if this film doesn't make back its budget. We will not be discussing the poster in 6-8 weeks, but we will, for years and years, be talking about the quality of this film and its BO results.

Its amazing how much I agree with you recently.

Creasy47 wrote: »
    @Ludovico, it just looks lazy to me, and I'm not defending the QoS teaser poster, either, as I'm not the biggest fan of it. I just know that they can do much better than what they released yesterday.

In the end of the day, SP is a spy thriller. On the poster, you see a spy. A particular spy: the tux and the gun indicates that it is very likely to be James Bond. It also has a grim reaper in the background. The movie is called Spectre. It's a Bond movie poster. I fail to see what's lazy about it.
    I suppose this will go force and back till Sep. 8. To no avail, as everybody sticks to his opinion and repeats it. Some like it, some not. So what?
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 14,824
    Germanlady wrote: »
    I suppose this will go force and back till Sep. 8. To no avail, as everybody sticks to his opinion and repeats it. Some like it, some not. So what?

It's not the greatest poster of the Bond era. The ones of CR were simply gorgeous and full of atmosphere. I really loved the teaser poster of QOS, with only Bond's shadow. This one is not as good. But it is still good IMO. And not worth ripping one's shirt apart as if it is the greatest crime against Ian Fleming.
    Ludovico wrote: »
    I fail to see what's lazy about it.
    A poster like that could be made in 10 minutes. That's lazy.
    @Skyfail

sorry, I misunderstood. Yes, you are right, of course. To be totally uncritical and fall in love with anything as a principle is naiv and even stupid.

Exactly
    Skyfail wrote: »
    RC7 wrote: »
    jobo wrote: »
    I don't understand the complaints. This poster is great! =D>

Sarcasm.

Honesty :-)
    After seeing that poster I thought the forum would go berserk of excitement over its fabulousness...just goes to show you never know ;)

The poster is bloody fantastic, lightyears better than anything we got so far in the Craig-era.
    They finally got their act together and have a decent campaign.

The poster is only one more thing that suggests the movie is an homage to the 60's James Bond movies, this was worked out in great detail, Tom Ford as clothes designer (another stroke of genius), the OHMSS theme in the trailer, some still photographs of Spectre could be taken out of Caprice or North By Northwest (59) or other 60's cult classics.

The background colour with the haunting skull image is brilliant as a contrast to James Bond in the white tux striking a pose that says, hey look at me, I'm the Connery of my generation!
    While simplistic it gets the message across within a second. Furthermore this poster is a true eye-catcher! It will stick out everywhere it gets shown.

For the first time in the Craig era, I have the feeling they finally know what they're doing and maybe Spectre will be that truly great film that can actually be compared to the Connery movies and even surpass them.

I actually love the new poster too. But then again, people out here call genuine opinions flawed cases of sarcasm. Which is a bit sad really :-(.

What I find genuinely sad is people who just lap up anything that's put in front of them because it's Bond related. If people like this poster that's their prerogative, but for the vast majority I think this is another case of a missed opportunity. Three years wait for something cobbled together in
    10 mins. Simply not good enough.

You hit the nail on the head with that that one, This has been on my mind for years ,
    its the case with almost every James Bond forum ,
    Most of the posters over here , no matter how lousy a product they're given will praise it endlessly and will go to great lengths and clutch at straws to find merit and praise it

The real irony is that I am highly, sometimes overly critical of the Craig-era in general.
    I'm an outspoken critic of EON and Skyfall.

Now that I find something Craig-related (this new movie poster) truly amazing, I'm in a minority again

:P

I don't get why this poster is so criticised. What exactly did you people expect?

Having a personal opinion and looking at something objectively is great , But that's not what I am getting at
    there are posters over here who will blindly fall in love with anything 'EON' , in the end we're the losers as EON can get away with half baked products which means lesser quality for us

God forbid someone on the forums likes something EON puts out

and again
    I am not talking about liking something , I am talking about a few posters over here who will blindly fall for each and everything EON puts out
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Zekidk wrote: »

And I could write Grapes of Wrath in a week if all I did was type all day. Doesn't make the book lazy. You're not considering what went behind the creation process. You're making pure assumptions with regards to how much thought and creative process went into the poster. I agree with @Ludovico.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @Ludovico, it just looks lazy to me, and I'm not defending the QoS teaser poster, either, as I'm not the biggest fan of it. I just know that they can do much better than what they released yesterday.

In the end of the day, SP is a spy thriller. On the poster, you see a spy. A particular spy: the tux and the gun indicates that it is very likely to be James Bond. It also has a grim reaper in the background. The movie is called Spectre. It's a Bond movie poster. I fail to see what's lazy about it.

I can't explain it any further if you don't find the poster to be lazy. We'll just agree to disagree!
    edited September 2015 Posts: 7,526
    @Skyfail

sorry, I misunderstood. Yes, you are right, of course. To be totally uncritical and fall in love with anything as a principle is naiv and even stupid.

Exactly
    jobo wrote: »
    I don't understand the complaints. This poster is great! =D>

Sarcasm.

Honesty :-)
    After seeing that poster I thought the forum would go berserk of excitement over its fabulousness...just goes to show you never know ;)

The poster is bloody fantastic, lightyears better than anything we got so far in the Craig-era.
    They finally got their act together and have a decent campaign.

The poster is only one more thing that suggests the movie is an homage to the 60's James Bond movies, this was worked out in great detail, Tom Ford as clothes designer (another stroke of genius), the OHMSS theme in the trailer, some still photographs of Spectre could be taken out of Caprice or North By Northwest (59) or other 60's cult classics.

The background colour with the haunting skull image is brilliant as a contrast to James Bond in the white tux striking a pose that says, hey look at me, I'm the Connery of my generation!
    While simplistic it gets the message across within a second. Furthermore this poster is a true eye-catcher! It will stick out everywhere it gets shown.

For the first time in the Craig era, I have the feeling they finally know what they're doing and maybe Spectre will be that truly great film that can actually be compared to the Connery movies and even surpass them.

I actually love the new poster too. But then again, people out here call genuine opinions flawed cases of sarcasm. Which is a bit sad really :-(.

What I find genuinely sad is people who just lap up anything that's put in front of them because it's Bond related. If people like this poster that's their prerogative, but for the vast majority I think this is another case of a missed opportunity. Three years wait for something cobbled together in
    10 mins. Simply not good enough.

You hit the nail on the head with that that one, This has been on my mind for years ,
    its the case with almost every James Bond forum ,
    Most of the posters over here , no matter how lousy a product they're given will praise it endlessly and will go to great lengths and clutch at straws to find merit and praise it

The real irony is that I am highly, sometimes overly critical of the Craig-era in general.
    I'm an outspoken critic of EON and Skyfall.

Now that I find something Craig-related (this new movie poster) truly amazing, I'm in a minority again

:P

I don't get why this poster is so criticised. What exactly did you people expect?

Having a personal opinion and looking at something objectively is great , But that's not what I am getting at
    there are posters over here who will blindly fall in love with anything 'EON' , in the end we're the losers as EON can get away with half baked products which means lesser quality for us

God forbid someone on the forums likes something EON puts out

and again
    I am not talking about liking something , I am talking about a few posters over here who will blindly fall for each and everything EON puts out

I know what you're saying pal, I can read; it's pure speculation. You think that when people like something you don't, it's "blindly falling for each and everything EON puts out", whether or not you even realize it. You assume to know why people like things, and when someone likes something you think is bad, it must be because they're blind to critical thinking. Your posts, username, spell it all out.
    Well, I guess I don't read very well, because I can't recall a single poster in here that blindly loves everything or hates everything that EON does. I kind of think the starting point here is we are all Bond fans, and then we scatter in a million directions from there. It comes down to different tastes and differing judgement. If we all had the exact same views on everything EON did, this site would be a total bore to read and dead to us all.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Dear people, why this "war" over a simple movie poster.

Maybe I should do one of my infamous simple, rash and bold statements about Skyfall or BB or Craig to divert attention from the movie poster =))
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Well, I guess I don't read very well, because I can't recall a single poster in here that blindly loves everything or hates everything that EON does. I kind of think the starting point here is we are all Bond fans, and then we scatter in a million directions from there. It comes down to different tastes and differing judgement. If we all had the exact same views on everything EON did, this site would be a total bore to read and dead to us all.

Worth repeating.

This is what I'm trying to say. I take issue when people say others blindly love or hate something when their own opinions don't align.

I also agree with @BondJasonBond006, but for me the discussion has transcended the poster a bit, and perhaps it shouldn't have.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Dear people, why this "war" over a simple movie poster.

Maybe I should do one of my infamous simple, rash and bold statements about Skyfall or BB or Craig to divert attention from the movie poster =))
    I'd rather you didn't.
    flags_rainbow_flag_detail.jpg
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 3,168
    You're making pure assumptions with regards to how much thought and creative process went into the poster.
    I am not assuming things. All I am saying is, that it could be made in 10 minutes by any amateur fan boy. That's not an assumption, but a fact. And look at Craig's face. It's fr.... overexposed. Any professional photographer will tell you that.
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    Sorry to interrput the debate, but my fan art from last november (yes, before the title was officialy announced) was much better :D

tumblr_ndjs5dZGdB1qc2maxo1_1280.png
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 1,068
    The graphic photoshop artworker, (is he an artist or even a designer in this instance?) would make a good cut out clipping path isolating DC on the large resolution photo in around 30 minutes. After bit of colour/ exposure correction/ butchery of about 5 minutes, they'd then set it into a package like in design with an off the peg SPECTRE logo, (with maybe some time removing the bullet hole?) and then add in intro and bottom credits narrative (copy and paste from the marketing bod) and assign a new gold colour to them all (2 mins?) and finally, here we are.

It's the background where the hours and hours have been spent. The spectre skull is probably one of around 20 other layers in the same file where the real battles and time will have been wrought over the final piece.

You know despite endless persuasion and designer strops, the client, NOT the designer, will always get what they want as they're the ones stumping up the money at which point, creative sensibilities are a moot point! It won't be cheap either as the agency adds more zeros after the price the nearer to Central London you get.

We'll never see all the mind blowing prelims which maybe a whole team of creative designers put in front of Babs etc...
    andmcit wrote: »
    The graphic photoshop artworker, (is he an artist or even a designer in this instance?) would make a good cut out clipping path isolating DC on the large resolution photo in around 30 minutes. After bit of colour/ exposure correction/ butchery of about 5 minutes, they'd then set it into a package like in design with an off the peg SPECTRE logo, (with maybe some time removing the bullet hole?) and then add in intro and bottom credits narrative (copy and paste from the marketing bod) and assign a new gold colour to them all (2 mins?) and finally, here we are.

It's the background where the hours and hours have been spent. The spectre skull is probably one of around 20 other layers in the same file where the real battles and time will have been wrought over the final piece.

You know despite endless persuasion and designer strops, the client, NOT the designer, will always get what they want as they're the ones stumping up the money at which point, creative sensibilities are a moot point! It won't be cheap either as the agency adds more zeros after the price the nearer to Central London you get.

We'll never see all the mind blowing prelims which maybe a whole team of creative designers put in front of Babs etc...[/quote]

This!!!!! Exactly.
  • The thing that bothers me the most about the poster is that it just doesn't really make much sense as a theatrical poster. You have a (pretty cool) picture of Bond on top of another picture of him in costume? It works as a character poster but as a theatrical poster, it's not really saying anything. The teaser poster was even more minimalist but it gave the feeling that Bond is back in action, going straight to work in that tactical outfit, while still making reference to LALD for those if us that are familiar.
  • I get it! Bond finally seduces Baron Samedi!
    So. @marketto007 shall we all now present our own personal artwork favourite fan art then to help divert energies away from the official one or will that only hurt more! :)

"Le temps ne fait rien à l'affaire" (Freely translated: time is irrelevant to the matter at hand). Anthony Burgess wrote A Clockwork Orange in a few weeks. Same with Gaston Leroux with The Phantom of the Opera. Like @NickTwentyTwo said, you are making an assumption.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Did you really just compare 'A Clockwork Orange' and 'The Phantom of the Opera' to the new SP poster?...
    No, not at all
    You're convolutions the issue. We're talking about a concept above the discussion of the poster, were saying the argument that "if the product can be physically created in a short amount of time, then the product is 'lazy'" is faulty.
    Did you really just compare 'A Clockwork Orange' and 'The Phantom of the Opera' to the new SP poster?...

No. I was making an example: The time spent working on something is irrelevant. Especially when we know nothing about it. For all we know they spent ages and ages working on a concept for the poster, they decided to go for this one because they thought it would have the biggest impact.
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 3,164
    What I'll say is this: when judging a movie poster/a piece of promotional art you need to keep both business/box-office hats on and fan/creative hats on.

I will agree that the poster definitely does its job, so do the Skyfall ones, despite how mediocre they are creatively.

And second point - you can still make a good poster with the modern minimalistic actors-first graphic design (as in non-painted/hand-drawn but with Photoshop) that is required of today's release posters. I've posted examples of good posters like that before. For release posters, the era of painted/drawn and montage styles are over, especially montage ones with modern graphic design which today look quite tacky IMO.

The two painted/drawn Star Wars ones released and were posted in this thread aren't going up in cinemas. One was a collectible gift to fans who went to the D23 event, the other goes on sale in stores along with the other Star Wars merchandise. Creatively, the best posters released for films today are of the IMAX exclusive/collectible type, not the actual release posters.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I made this in a few hours. Inspired by the poster for TLD.
    TOkTuibl.jpg

"Le temps ne fait rien à l'affaire" (Freely translated: time is irrelevant to the matter at hand). Anthony Burgess wrote A Clockwork Orange in a few weeks. Same with Gaston Leroux with The Phantom of the Opera. Like @NickTwentyTwo said, you are making an assumption.
    You are so right. There was a "creative process" where they spent loads of time coming up with the idea to slap a white tux on Danny, take a couple of pictures of him and then use a screenshot from the trailer from the Day of the Dead festival in the background to present some sort of minimalistic poster. Some piece of art they came up with. And the blueish color, that don't fit anywhere with the style and tone of the movie? Top notch!

5 minutes. That's it. That is all it would take me to do this poster if I had a picture of Craig in a white tux. I would probably fix his overexposed face though. So maybe six minutes. And that.... I don't assume.