Daniel Craig says he doesn't want to do another Bond; Spectre may be his last

Comments

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    The situation with Moore was completely different as is well known.

EON would not have any difficulties to find a new actor nowadays.
  • Hopefully SPECTRE isn't DC last Bond film. But this question always seems to crop up in the media with the actor playing Bond. Check out this video from 1979 on the set of MOONRAKER (Sir Roger's 4th Bond film) where the journalist is asking Roger Moore if this will be his last Bond film - does he like playing Bond. We have the same questions 36 years later. The Bond films are mammoth productions and its only understandable after a long 7 month shoot (and months and months of pre-production work before that ) the actor who plays Bond might not want to say straight away if they will be coming back for another go in the role. I am sure there are all sort of negotiations going on behind the scenes right now for DC to return and I am sure that if he feels he has more to give to the role that he will be back. He himself has said that he enjoys playing James Bond - just like Sir Roger who stayed on 3 more times after this interview in Rio De Janeiro.

I think the current social media era is way different than journalism of the 1970's. Today, media keeps repeating the same question over and over again. Enhanced by leaked files, the so called 'Sony Leaks'. Also, paparazzi are way more aggressive than 36 years back.

So it's not entirely the same to be honest. Daniel Craig has to endure way more 'violent' media scrutiny as opposed to Sir Roger Moore back in 1979.

While the methods of journalism and social media have changed since the 1970s the simple question of is this your last Bond film has been around since the beginning of the franchise. I agree that modern Bond actors have to deal more with the internet than way back but in the end the question remains the same - Is this your last Bond film?
    Its the way the question is asked and reported that has changed during this time.

Nice interview. Rog legendary as usual.
  • The situation with Moore was completely different as is well known.

EON would not have any difficulties to find a new actor nowadays.

Indeed. But its always the same question for every actor who has put on the tux. Is this your last Bond? The next actor and the next after that will have the same question asked aswell.

• Getafix wrote: »
    Nice interview. Rog legendary as usual.

I never get tired of watching those Roger Moore on set interviews.

• Roger Moore keeps on saying he was not a very good actor and yet there are not many actors who could play the way he did... The same goes for Connery I think (minus the first part I guess :) ). Craig, Dalton and Brosnan are more classical actors IMO. When Craig's time is over, will they dare to try a more unconventional actor ?
    Brosnan says too, he wasn't good enough as Bond.

Moore, Dalton and Brosnan are all gentlemen and quite level-headed.
    Virtues and vices that are sadly missed nowadays.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Great to see that old interview. Moore was such a class act as Bond. No swearing, looking as dapper as ever, well into his 50's. He can't be beaten at the way he played the role. Truly original and genuine take..
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 11,425
    Makes you feel sad for the rest.

I love the bit where Bazza says 'may be if you didn't bring up your supposedly bad acting all the time then no one else would either' and Rog looks like the thought has genuinely never occurred to him.

Rog is such a bright and entertaining guy - so quick witted. You can imagine him having done a whole range of things. This is not meant as a dig at all, but he would have been an amazing light entertainer/ TV host. I'm glad he chose acting and that EON chose him for Bond, but he is just so great to watch and listen to as himself.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    doubleoego wrote: »
    In that article Craig says nothing of the sort.

"Less sexist and misogynistic." "The world has changed." Ho hum. Sounds like Craig is channeling his inner Brosnan. Perhaps he should go, as long as Elba doesn't replace him.

giphy.gif

Why is that racist? Because someone doesn't like that particular actor (I don't rate him as a Bond either) who happens to be black it's automatically assumed as racist?!
  • RC7RC7

"Less sexist and misogynistic." "The world has changed." Ho hum. Sounds like Craig is channeling his inner Brosnan. Perhaps he should go, as long as Elba doesn't replace him.

giphy.gif

Why is that racist? Because someone doesn't like that particular actor (I don't rate him as a Bond either) who happens to be black it's automatically assumed as racist?!

Sarcasm.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Getafix wrote: »
    Makes you feel sad for the rest.

I love the bit where Bazza says 'may be if you didn't bring up your supposedly bad acting all the time then no one else would either' and Rog looks like the thought has genuinely never occurred to him.

Rog is such a bright and entertaining guy - so quick witted. You can imagine him having done a whole range of things. This is not meant as a dig at all, but he would have been an amazing light entertainer/ TV host. I'm glad he chose acting and that EON chose him for Bond, but he is just so great to watch and listen to as himself.

That, indeed, is just one celebration of Roger. Lovely clip.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    RC7 wrote: »

giphy.gif

Sarcasm.

Let's hope so.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Thank you @RC7. I thought it was obvious sarcasm on my part. I'll wink next time.
  • RC7 wrote: »

giphy.gif

Sarcasm.

Let's hope so.
    Oh God, of course it was

=))
    Following Daniel Craig's new comments about his uncertainty continuing in the role, Idris Elba has sent a selfie to Daniel Craig. I don't think the image is suggesting anything. Just a regular kinda selfie. No hidden meaning to it at all.

33k7rbb.jpg

;))
    If he'd been a few years younger I'd say 'may be'.

Loved him in the Wire - his best role IMO.
    edited September 2015 Posts: 11,139
    This was hacked from Amy Pascal's email which she had cc'd to Babs and Michael

idris-elba12010.jpg
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I really do hope now that Craig does 1 or 2 more so the whole Elba affair goes away. If they recast for Bond 25, the media is making such a deal about Elba that whoever is cast instead of him will be seen to them as a second choice.
    I wonder how many of the nay-sayers have actually seen something with Elba starring in.

Let me be clear, he would be a wonderful 007 agent, and he would clearly be the best actor the franchise ever got since Connery.

But I am one of those people who just don't want to have Fleming's Bond changed too much.
    Daniel Craig was "bad" enough, blonde and short, but at least the directors knew how to hide that obvious flaw and Craig worked.
    But it has to stop. The next Bond actor has to be British, 35 years old, dark-haired, tall, charming, suave, debonair and physically strong.
    What Elba had to say...

Screenshot_2015-09-02-18-44-48-1.png
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Glad to see he has some self irony.
    As an original Bond fan, I was devastated by losing Connery twice. I eventually warmed up to GL, but never to RM. After six Bond actors, I am over it. It's going to be what it's going to be, with or without my blessing. I like DC just fine, but I am not invested in him as I was with SC. If DC does ten more films, fine; or none, fine. Just hire someone
    who looks and acts the part and carry on. I'll continue seeing Bond films, whether I like the actor playing Bond or not. If I don't like him, I probably won't revisit those films very often.

The occasional talk over Idris Elba playing Bond is just a way to keep things stirred up and keeping Bond in the news. I'm a big IE fan, but I don't think he should be Bond, as Bond isn't written as a black man, but then neither was Leiter, and Jeffrey Wright is a fine
    Leiter. But if that's direction the producers go, not my decision, I'll still see the film.

With the success of the Bond and Bourne franchises, I am surprised Elba hasn't been tapped to play a Bond-like character in an original series of films.

• edited September 2015 Posts: 11,425
    I wonder how many of the nay-sayers have actually seen something with Elba starring in.

Let me be clear, he would be a wonderful 007 agent, and he would clearly be the best actor the franchise ever got since Connery.

But I am one of those people who just don't want to have Fleming's Bond changed too much.
    Daniel Craig was "bad" enough, blonde and short, but at least the directors knew how to hide that obvious flaw and Craig worked.
    But it has to stop. The next Bond actor has to be British, 35 years old, dark-haired, tall, charming, suave, debonair and physically strong.

Apart from the age bit, doesn't that description possibly fit Elba?
    I may not want to do another post. This may be my last.
    Getafix wrote: »

Apart from the age bit, doesn't that description possibly fit Elba?

Sure, but I think it is clear from my post that I want Bond to be white as he is in the novels.
  • RC7RC7
    edited September 2015 Posts: 10,512
    Elba's name persists for two reasons.

1) There's a groundswell from a faction of Neo-liberals and black activists, relentless in their blinkered pursuit of supposed 'equality'.
    2) Idris would make a damn fine Bond.

My worry would be that in the twitterati skewed world we live in, two would be forgotten and one would be the predominant rhetoric surrounding the casting. There would be no avoiding the barrage of 'Black Bond' literature.

What would be nice is for someone like Idris to take up the mantle without the shrieking far-left falling over themselves to claim some sort of moral 'victory'. Not least because it would be the most patronising thing you could do to those you're professing to help.
    RC7 wrote: »
    Elba's name persists for two reasons.

1) There's a groundswell from a faction of Neo-liberals and black activists, relentless in their blinkered pursuit of supposed 'equality'.
    2) Idris would make a damn fine Bond.

My worry would be that in the twitterati skewed world we live in, two would be forgotten and one would be the predominant rhetoric surrounding the casting. There would be no avoiding the barrage of 'Black Bond' literature.

What would be nice is for someone like Idris to take up the mantle without the shrieking far-left falling over themselves to claim some sort of moral 'victory'. Not least because it would be the most patronising thing you could do to those you're professing to help.

Well said, agree with everything above.
    Idris Elba is already 42. He will NEVER play Bond. The smart thing to do would be to cast him as the main villain or a supporting protagonist in Bond 25. That would stop this "Elba should play Bond" nonsense.
    You never know with BB. She might go for a 45 year old actor because she wants to make Bond even more "self-doubty, deep, melodramatic and angst-ridden" and show him in his middle aged phase.
    She has already proven, she will cast anyone if she likes him. So if she likes Tatum Channing as she likes Craig, we will get Channing as the next Bond.
This discussion has been closed.