Daniel Craig says he doesn't want to do another Bond; Spectre may be his last

Comments

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Risico007 wrote: »
    if Craig does three more I will look back on this thread and laugh.

3 more? We'd all laugh.
    suavejmf wrote: »
    One good thing about Brozzer over Craig....He always wanted the role more! He was gutted when he got the push.

It would seem that way but Brosnan was never good at subtlety. Craig doesn't drop his pants as easily as Brosnan did.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    The producers will have the power surely...They pay the wages!!! !

Exactly.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Journalists must never bore the readers. Simplify and exaggerate.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Let's see what the future unfolds before jumping to conclusions. The man just finished the film and is probably tired and wants to think about his life before putting the shoulder holster back on again.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited September 2015 Posts: 4,399
    again, i believe this is much to do about nothing..

1. Craig has said this sort of stuff about Bond every time he's been asked - even back during the CR days... and on through QOS... and on through SF... and now on through SP... personally, i think he gets tired of being asked the question, and i think he's personally jerking the media around - because he's never consistent with his responses.. one interview it's "I'll be around for as long as they'll have me." .. next interview it's "I wish I could tear up this contract and wipe my ass with it."... next interview it's "I'll keep doing them as long as they're successful and i'm physically able to do it."... next interview it's "as of this moment, no." ...... does anyone seriously stop and think that either he's the most wishy washy man on the planet - or - he is simply just 'taking the piss' as you boys in Britishland like to say ;)

2. I think filming SP has been long and exhausting, and if he is answering the question as if being asked would he start right away on the next film - obviously the answer is going to be 'no'... This last film was something like a 6 month affair, and if you count in all the headaches during pre-production, we are talking a good solid year of hard work to get this thing done - so I'm sure the last thing on his mind right now is putting on the tux and strapping up the PPK any time soon... This is partially the reason why EON likes taking an extra year between films now - to not only let them as producers have a chance to breathe and relax a little, but also give their actors a chance to breathe and relax and do other things... comparing this to Connery's run is ludicrous - because back in those days, they were churning these films out once a year - naturally going nonstop for 4-5 years as Connery did would frustrate and burn out anyone.. there was no year or two off to go get away and do other things..

Craig right now is burnt out, and wants to go back to being a regular person for a little while - and probably work on other projects... Bond is the last thing on his mind... but I'm almost willing to stake what little money i have, that he will back for Bond 25 - beyond that is up in the air.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited September 2015 Posts: 23,883
    One good thing about Brozzer over Craig....He always wanted the role more! He was gutted when he got the push.

This did not work in his favour though, because everyone knew he wanted it.

I personally have a feeling DC will return only if Mendes is back and if this story arc they are on is continued. I really can't see him coming back for a standalone Bond adventure without any peel back the layers scenarios, despite what he says of wanting more "Moore".

It's telling that he says that he's not up for it at the moment. What that suggests to me is that they really haven't got a clue at this moment what B25 is going to be all about.

SP's box office success and critical reception are important drivers in this discussion. The studio scenario (including how the discussions go, what kind of relationship is established, and who they want/prefer for director/actor) is the 2nd thing that needs to happen (business always). Anything is possible after that.
    bondjames wrote: »

But in hindsight shouldn't that have worked out in his favor? A successful Bond actor like Brosnan wanting to countinue playing the role without hesitation. The producers should have love that cause it makes their jobs easier
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    fjdinardo wrote: »

But in hindsight shouldn't that have worked out in his favor? A successful Bond actor like Brosnan wanting to countinue playing the role without hesitation. The producers should have love that cause it makes their jobs easier

it doesn't help when negotiating a new contract - like he did for DAD... sure, he loved playing Bond and wanted to keep going, but his asking price to return kept going up as well - sometimes, if you keep professing your love of doing something, you often get lowballed on deals - simply because "if you love doing it, you might take less money to do it.".....
    HASEROT wrote: »
    fjdinardo wrote: »

it doesn't help when negotiating a new contract - like he did for DAD... sure, he loved playing Bond and wanted to keep going, but his asking price to return kept going up as well - sometimes, if you keep professing your love of doing something, you often get lowballed on deals - simply because "if you love doing it, you might take less money to do it.".....

That his true. How much was he asking for a 5th film do you know?
    Craig will honour his 5th movie and then step down!
  • eddychaputeddychaput Montreal, Canada
    We'll have no definitive proof of this until SP actually comes out, but I have a hard time believing SPECTRE will be the villain for only 1 film. I'm predicting that SP will have a similar vibe as the old Connery films by which Bond defeated the primary SPECTRE agent but the organization as such was still at large. Because of that, I think Craig will be back for one more movie to battle SPECTRE again.
    it's been suggested that Broz got $16 million for DAD - and he was asking in neighborhood of $20 million for his possible 5th outing..

thanks to @DaltonCraig007 for this info...

http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/939/the-salary-of-playing-james-bond-through-the-ages
  • Just throwing it out there, what if Spectre actually is the last Bond movie? Think about it, this is their perfect chance to "quit while they still hit". Spectre is back, Blofeld by the looks of it. This will be one of the biggest movies of the series so yeah, I'm really starting to worrie.
    I haven't seen much from this article to suggest Craig really doesn't want to do another. It's the media trying to create a story. But who knows. He might decide he's done enough or EON may recast. I suspect he will only want to do another with the right script and director. Have a feeling we will be waiting at least three years for the next movie.
    Wasn't the major reason for rebooting due to EON finally getting the rights to CR? Craig is about 15 years younger than Brosnan, and they could have cast even younger. Every fan has his favorite, but any actor that keeps the series going to me has done his job well. Brosnan has always struck me as an easy going guy, who worked hard at Bond. The primary problem with his last film was with the script so I would like to think EON did not hold him responsible, they just wanted to reboot with CR which required a younger actor.

I know Tarantino wanted to do CR with Brosnan, which would have required a considerable rewrite of the original story given Brosnan's age and ongoing role as Bond. The strength of CR was not just the story of Bond's beginning, but it was a Fleming book, and adapting a Bond script from one of Fleming's books would have to be a major advantage for any Bond film.
    Just throwing it out there, what if Spectre actually is the last Bond movie? Think about it, this is their perfect chance to "quit while they still hit". Spectre is back, Blofeld by the looks of it. This will be one of the biggest movies of the series so yeah, I'm really starting to worrie.

I can absolutely assure you that this is not something you should worry about.
  • eddychaputeddychaput Montreal, Canada
    Just throwing it out there, what if Spectre actually is the last Bond movie? Think about it, this is their perfect chance to "quit while they still hit". Spectre is back, Blofeld by the looks of it. This will be one of the biggest movies of the series so yeah, I'm really starting to worrie.

Really? I'm not getting that vibe in the slightest. I feel as though if ever the Bond film franchise comes to an end (hopefully after I'm buried six feet under) they'll be a huge announcement about the matter so that everyone in the world would want to see it.

No, my friend, you have nothing to fear.
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    Craig will honour his 5th movie and then step down!

Yep. I agree this will be the case. SP will be a success, Craig will do Bond 25 and then leave. EoN aren't going to get rid of their golden goose just yet. The spy genre is reestablishing itself, Bourne 5 comes out next year with Damon, Vin Diesel's xXx sequel also comes out next year, MI6 comes out in 2017 and God knows what other spy sequel/film is coming out...Craig is tried, tested and true. He'll do one more at least.
    by comparison..

Pierce Brosnan
    GE : $1,200,000
    TND : $8,200,000
    TWINE : $12,400,000
    DAD : $16,500,000
    (Wanted salary for Bond 21 : $20,000,000)

Daniel Craig
    CR : $3,220,000
    QOS : $7,245,000
    SF : $16,377,000
    SP + Bond 25 : $47,448,000 (split that in half and that's roughly $23,724,000 per film)

sources:

http://www.firstpost.com/bollywood/skyfall-makes-daniel-craig-the-highest-paid-james-bond-529254.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2234989/Daniel-Craig-best-paid-James-Bond-scoops-31m-make-2-films.html
    How does a poor kid from Liverpool turn down a $24m salary with additional $ perks with a team that he is now very close to, with near producer powers over every major aspect of the next film. I agree with those that think he will do Bond 25, if SP does well. Unless of course, there is major stuff we just don't know about. And there is often major stuff we just don't know about. :)
    Where's that 47 million coming from? As in is that confirmed? If so, Craig is definitely back in the saddle for Bond 25.
  • smitty wrote: »

Exactly.

I think the studio pays the wages. The studio finances the movie.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited September 2015 Posts: 17,813
    Oh, I can see the (very lazy) headlines now!
    edited September 2015 Posts: 23,883
    smitty wrote: »

Exactly.

I think the studio pays the wages. The studio finances the movie.

If true, this is why the studio switchover is a critical component of this discussion. Craig doesn't know at this moment whether they'd want to pay this kind of money I'm assuming. They may have other plans. If SP kicks butt like SF, then they'll pony up.
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 1,965
    HASEROT wrote: »
    by comparison..

Pierce Brosnan
    GE : $1,200,000
    TND : $8,200,000
    TWINE : $12,400,000
    DAD : $16,500,000
    (Wanted salary for Bond 21 : $20,000,000)

Daniel Craig
    CR : $3,220,000
    QOS : $7,245,000
    SF : $16,377,000
    SP + Bond 25 : $47,448,000 (split that in half and that's roughly $23,724,000 per film)

sources:

http://www.firstpost.com/bollywood/skyfall-makes-daniel-craig-the-highest-paid-james-bond-529254.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2234989/Daniel-Craig-best-paid-James-Bond-scoops-31m-make-2-films.html

Holy shit. Brosnan got a 7 million dollar jump for his 2nd film? That's crazy. Yea 20 mil was not worth a 5th Brosnan movie. He should of just agreed to 16 mil for his 5th or did EON want to pay him less then what he got for DAD?
    That's mad that Craig got the same for SF as Brosnan did for DaD.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    No wonder they told Pierce to piss off after DAD.....greedy! Craig made CR for comparative peanuts and was the best film and performance since the 60's.
    Getafix wrote: »
    That's mad that Craig got the same for SF as Brosnan did for DaD.

DC has been getting the shaft it seems.....but he has more creative control.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited September 2015 Posts: 17,813
    The Bond biz all comes down to money at the end of the day. Never forget that.
This discussion has been closed.