Daniel Craig says he doesn't want to do another Bond; Spectre may be his last

Comments

Like I said I will continue to use Daniel Craig for all Bond 25 fan arts until as such time it is confirmed by EON that he is not returning.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    bondjames wrote: »
    smitty wrote: »
    suavejmf wrote: »
    The producers will have the power surely...They pay the wages!!! !

Exactly.

I think the studio pays the wages. The studio finances the movie.

If true, this is why the studio switchover is a critical component of this discussion. Craig doesn't know at this moment whether they'd want to pay this kind of money I'm assuming. They may have other plans. If SP kicks butt like SF, then they'll pony up.

remember, MGM is also on the hook for half the production budget - it's not all 100% Sony... I'm sure something would be worked out if they end up dropping Sony to go somewhere else.. either way - Craig will get his money... Sony isn't responsible to Craig's contract (that i am aware of - as it wouldn't make sense).
  • RC7RC7
    Journalists must never bore the readers. Simplify and exaggerate.

This about sums it up.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---

Exactly.

actor/crew wages are all factored into the production budget.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited September 2015 Posts: 23,883
    HASEROT wrote: »

Exactly.

If true, this is why the studio switchover is a critical component of this discussion. Craig doesn't know at this moment whether they'd want to pay this kind of money I'm assuming. They may have other plans. If SP kicks butt like SF, then they'll pony up.

remember, MGM is also on the hook for half the production budget - it's not all 100% Sony... I'm sure something would be worked out if they end up dropping Sony to go somewhere else.. either way - Craig will get his money... Sony isn't responsible to Craig's contract (that i am aware of - as it wouldn't make sense).

Ok thanks, that makes sense.

The studio changeover has to be a large factor in all of this though, don't you think? Surely they have some say during the bid process in terms of what they want and where they want to go, as well as coming into the picture with an established but older Bond (who likely will have to make a # of films commitment to them) mid stream vs. starting fresh with a new actor that they can mold.

DC's preferred creative control on projects (and which directors he works best with) may also be something being discussed.

Just speculating...
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I don't think $20M is that outlandish for a 5th film from an established (popular) Bond.
    edited September 2015 Posts: 4,399
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    Holy shit. Brosnan got a 7 million dollar jump for his 2nd film? That's crazy. Yea 20 mil was not worth a 5th Brosnan movie. He should of just agreed to 16 mil for his 5th or did EON want to pay him less then what he got for DAD?

i'm not quite sure... my assumption is, is that if they had offered Bond 21 to Broz, it would've been at the same price, or maybe a 1 or 2 million increase...

that 3 year gap between DAD and the start of production on CR - things get very muddled, and it's often hard to find out what really was going on behind the scenes, so you have to try and do your best to piece together info... as far as i know, there was never an official offer from EON to Broz to do a 5th film - I'm sure discussions were had about doing one, but nothing obviously was ever finalized... EON could've easily sat back and churned out another DAD style movie with Broz if they wanted to (MGW even said as much).. but i get the sense that they felt the time was right (since they finally got the rights to CR, something their father had been trying to do for years) to move on in a new creative direction, and that meant also having to say goodbye to Pierce - who had fulfilled his contractual obligations..... i know he probably was shocked, as he himself said he was prepared to give it one last go... but, these things happen..... what didn't help matters, was Brosnan running and crying to the press about it - he really vilified the BB and MGW and made himself out to be a victim, as if they had royally screwed him over... at the time, i loved Pierce - he was the Bond i grew up with, and for a while i found it hard to imagine anyone else as Bond but him... but when he started acting like a petulant child over everything that had been going, it really disgusted me, and i really just wanted him to shut his mouth and go away.
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 11,425
    I'd love to see an interviewer ask him what he thinks of Dalton or at least his films. The interviewer and apparently Craig as well, seem to think he succeeded Roger Moore. I wouldn't expect praise necessarily but some acknowledgement that EON attempted this back to basics approach previously.

It's like when they make out the new Bond girl is 'different this time'. A little perspective please!
    ..... what didn't help matters, was Brosnan running and crying to the press about it - he really vilified the BB and MGW and made himself out to be a victim..

I remember this well. He did not do himself any favours at the time.

I think he was notified while making After the Sunset or something like that.

Regardless, he was being paid too much imho, as the profitability/ROI of his films (excluding video/game sales) had started to decrease (even if DAD pulled off a box office increase over TWINE).
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited September 2015 Posts: 13,894
    Getafix wrote: »
    I'd love to see an interviewer ask him what he thinks of Dalton or at least his films. The interviewer and apparently Craig as well, seem to think he succeeded Roger Moore. I wouldn't expect praise necessarily but some acknowledgement that EON attempted this back to basics approach previously.

There's an interview during promotion for TND, wherein he praises Dalton. Wasn't it posted in a thread here? I think @BAIN123 posted it. I think Brosnan has praised Dalton every time Dalton has been brought up in an interview of Brosnan.
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    Holy shit. Brosnan got a 7 million dollar jump for his 2nd film? That's crazy. Yea 20 mil was not worth a 5th Brosnan movie. He should of just agreed to 16 mil for his 5th or did EON want to pay him less then what he got for DAD?

i'm not quite sure... my assumption is, is that if they had offered Bond 21 to Broz, it would've been at the same price, or maybe a 1 or 2 million increase...

that 3 year gap between DAD and the start of production on CR - things get very muddled, and it's often hard to find out what really was going on behind the scenes, so you have to try and do your best to piece together info... as far as i know, there was never an official offer from EON to Broz to do a 5th film - I'm sure discussions were had about doing one, but nothing obviously was ever finalized... EON could've easily sat back and churned out another DAD style movie with Broz if they wanted to (MGW even said as much).. but i get the sense that they felt the time was right (since they finally got the rights to CR, something their father had been trying to do for years) to move on in a new creative direction, and that meant also having to say goodbye to Pierce - who had fulfilled his contractual obligations..... i know he probably was shocked, as he himself said he was prepared to give it one last go... but, these things happen..... what didn't help matters, was Brosnan running and crying to the press about it - he really vilified the BB and MGW and made himself out to be a victim, as if they had royally screwed him over... at the time, i loved Pierce - he was the Bond i grew up with, and for a while i found it hard to imagine anyone else as Bond but him... but when he started acting like a petulant child over everything that had been going, it really disgusted me, and i really just wanted him to shut his mouth and go away.

Very interesting
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 11,425

There's an interview during promotion for TND, wherein he praises Dalton. Wasn't it posted in a thread here? I think @BAIN123 posted it. I think Brosnan has praised Dalton every time Dalton has been brought up in an interview of Brosnan.

I meant Craig actually.

But would be interested to see this.

However I would be very surprised to see one Bond actor slag off another.

I'm just interested in how EON and everyone involved approached it and what lessons they felt were Learned from Dalton's widely perceived 'failure'.

I wonder Hom much Craig is aware of the hardcore fan support for Dalton and that much of that is due to his more human portrayal of the character.
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 725

Exactly.

I agree. The studio switch is critical. If it is Warner's and they want Nolan, then maybe all bets are are off given what they and EON would see as their long term benefits if Nolan agreed to a 3 picture arc. One of the Wilson boys was almost drooling over the prospects of Nolan directing Bond in some article I read. Nothing specific, just drooling.

If this is not the case, then a big salary for Craig if SP does well, would not seem to be an issue given the huge budgets. Depp, Adam Sandler and others have been getting huge salaries for multiple bombs. At least in his Bonds, Craig has helped deliver big profits, so I kind of think Craig's high salary is not the issue in this speculation. It's the studio switch, the next director, Craig's intentions, lots of iffy stuff.

I meant Craig actually.

I'm just interested in how EON and everyone involved approached it and what lessons they felt were Learned from Dalton's widely perceived 'failure'.

The only actor I have heard them comment on in terms of 'failure' or not being accepted by the public was Wilson commenting somewhere on Lazenby, interestingly.

I can't quite remember what they said in 'Everything or Nothing' about Dalton's time....I don't recall them commenting on it being unsuccessful though. Could be wrong mind you.

You're right though - Craig should acknowledge his debt to Dalton for 'paving the way', so to speak, for a harder approach.

I meant Craig actually.

I wonder Hom much Craig is aware of the hardcore fan support for Dalton and that much of that is due to his more human portrayal of the character.

Ah, sorry. For some reason, I thought you mean Brosnan talking about Dalton. Reading your post again, I see that you meant Craig. I don't think Craig has mentioned Dalton at all. On saying that, it's not as if I make a point of watching interviews with Craig. So he might have done, or not.
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 1,661

How does a poor kid from Liverpool turn down a $24m salary with additional $ perks with a team that he is now very close to, with near producer powers over every major aspect of the next film. I agree with those that think he will do Bond 25, if SP does well. Unless of course, there is major stuff we just don't know about. And there is often major stuff we just don't know about.

Wow - you may have got to the bottom of this! Craig's fee for Bond 25 will be huge. In theory, if EON ditched Craig they would save millions. A vast amount of money saved and invested in the production cost rather than paying out to Craig. That may be a cynical look at it but it's a business. If Eon and Sony, or whoever is the next studio involved, could take a calculated risk and go with a new actor, pay him a tiny amount (compared to what Craig would get) and hope Bond 25 is a huge hit. That may be why Brosnan never returned! Why use the same Bond actor when they want a vast amount. Just recast and save millions! If you took that approach then it's doubtful Craig will return. He may price himself out of the role!

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Brosnan "got the push" because they were in disagreement over money. It's that simple.

Concerning Craig's deal with EON: TAKE THIS!

A CONTRACT IS A CONTRACT IS A CONTRACT (Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition No 17)

A DEAL IS A DEAL...UNTIL A BETTER ONE COMES ALONG (Ferengi Rule Of Acquision No 16)

• suavejmf wrote: »
    One good thing about Brozzer over Craig....He always wanted the role more! He was gutted when he got the push.

This topic.......makes me sad. I don't like to be sad.
    If a journalist at the world premiere of SPECTRE asks Craig:

"Will you be making another Bond film?"

....I think Craig might do this:

giphy.gif

;))
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    How does a poor kid from Liverpool turn down a $24m salary with additional $ perks with a team that he is now very close to, with near producer powers over every major aspect of the next film. I agree with those that think he will do Bond 25, if SP does well. Unless of course, there is major stuff we just don't know about. And there is often major stuff we just don't know about.

Wow - you may have got to the bottom of this! Craig's fee for Bond 25 will be huge. In theory, if EON ditched Craig they would save millions. A vast amount of money saved and invested in the production cost rather than paying out to Craig. That may be a cynical look at it but it's a business. If Eon and Sony, or whoever is the next studio involved, could take a calculated risk and go with a new actor, pay him a tiny amount (compared to what Craig would get) and hope Bond 25 is a huge hit. That may be why Brosnan never returned! Why use the same Bond actor when they want a vast amount. Just recast and save millions! If you took that approach then it's doubtful Craig will return. He may price himself out of the role!

i think the difference here is, EON generally likes the direction they are going with the current Bond films, and Craig is a bankable asset at this point - as his films are some of the most successful Bond films ever - and SF broke all Bond box office revenue records, even with inflation adjusted... i think right now, it's highly doubtful they'd be willing to sack their star in order to save money - what could happen, is that production is scaled back overall for Bond 25 (similar to how FYEO was scaled back after MR)... I don't get the feeling that EON is wanting to move on from Dan - they have a great working relationship, and they will continue to have him as 007 for as long as he wants to do it.
    fanbond123 wrote: »

You are forgetting that it is Craig who chose Mendes and Bardem to do SF and Wilson and BB rubber stamped his choices. Along with playing Bond, he had far more impact on SF than Wilson. In effect, he poured extra tens of millions of dollars into BB and Wilson's bank accounts over CR and QOS which did well, but not SF well. If they pay him back by cutting him out of B25 over an already contracted salary figure, he would rightfully be one very angry man.

Craig could then team up with his buddy Spielberg, and make another Bond like big budget spy film, and open it around the world, two weeks before the next Bond. I think it is more likely they would cut Craig loose over the possibility of getting Nolan to do a Bond series but I would bet they would have to pay him off to keep him quiet. The story behind all of this speculation must be very interesting.

I think it is more likely they would cut Craig loose over the possibility of getting Nolan to do a Bond series but I would bet they would have to pay him off to keep him quiet. The story behind all of this speculation must be very interesting.

i am willing to bet, that if Mendes does indeed not return to do Bond 25, then EON will go hard at Nolan, to possibly end Craig's tenure with a bang... the media hype surrounding that film would rival SF (and this wouldn't even be an anniversary film lol.).. and, if good, could possibly even top SF in box office revenue - just from the star power attached to the production.
    Oh brother. I'm now listening to the ABC network news tonight and the news anchor just announced that "Craig is leaving" Bond. He also noted the controversy over Horowitz's comment that Elba was too street to play Bond. The anchor noted that the author had apologized. But bottom line, he clearly said that Craig was leaving Bond. Accurate or seriously inaccurate, this is now a major news story. Perhaps EON needs to do some damage control. I don't think any of this is helpful buzz for SP. For those not in the US, ABC, NBC and CBS are the big 3 networks with nightly half hour news programs.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited September 2015 Posts: 17,691
    Brosnan "got the push" because they were in disagreement over money. It's that simple.

Concerning Craig's deal with EON: TAKE THIS!

A CONTRACT IS A CONTRACT IS A CONTRACT (Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition No 17)

A DEAL IS A DEAL...UNTIL A BETTER ONE COMES ALONG (Ferengi Rule Of Acquision No 16)
    hqdefault.jpg
    Has Nolan said he wants to do a Bond trilogy?
  • This topic will only fuel negativity. And I dislike that. I really thought Daniel Craig needed a 'counter-topic' in which we fans more fiercefully support Daniel Craig as 007. This news.....about Craig lea in the role after SP truly saddens me.
    It really depends on one's perspective I think.

It could do the opposite, and get people excited and positive about the possibility of a new Bond.

One thing is for sure imho - Craig will not be pushed out. He will choose to leave. There's nothing to be upset about in that case, because it will have been his choice, if and when he makes it.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    One thing is for sure imho - Craig will not be pushed out. He will choose to leave. There's nothing to be upset about in that case, because it will have been his choice, if and when he makes it.
    Gold-pressed latinum will keep in the game for at least one more....
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 1,021
    Hopefully SPECTRE isn't DC last Bond film. But this question always seems to crop up in the media with the actor playing Bond. Check out this video from 1979 on the set of MOONRAKER (Sir Roger's 4th Bond film) where the journalist is asking Roger Moore if this will be his last Bond film - does he like playing Bond. We have the same questions 36 years later. The Bond films are mammoth productions and its only understandable after a long 7 month shoot (and months and months of pre-production work before that ) the actor who plays Bond might not want to say straight away if they will be coming back for another go in the role. I am sure there are all sort of negotiations going on behind the scenes right now for DC to return and I am sure that if he feels he has more to give to the role that he will be back. He himself has said that he enjoys playing James Bond - just like Sir Roger who stayed on 3 more times after this interview in Rio De Janeiro.
  • Hopefully SPECTRE isn't DC last Bond film. But this question always seems to crop up in the media with the actor playing Bond. Check out this video from 1979 on the set of MOONRAKER (Sir Roger's 4th Bond film) where the journalist is asking Roger Moore if this will be his last Bond film - does he like playing Bond. We have the same questions 36 years later. The Bond films are mammoth productions and its only understandable after a long 7 month shoot (and months and months of pre-production work before that ) the actor who plays Bond might not want to say straight away if they will be coming back for another go in the role. I am sure there are all sort of negotiations going on behind the scenes right now for DC to return and I am sure that if he feels he has more to give to the role that he will be back. He himself has said that he enjoys playing James Bond - just like Sir Roger who stayed on 3 more times after this interview in Rio De Janeiro.

I think the current social media era is way different than journalism of the 1970's. Today, media keeps repeating the same question over and over again. Enhanced by leaked files, the so called 'Sony Leaks'. Also, paparazzi are way more aggressive than 36 years back.

So it's not entirely the same to be honest. Daniel Craig has to endure way more 'violent' media scrutiny as opposed to Sir Roger Moore back in 1979.
This discussion has been closed.