SPECTRE Production Timeline

Comments

Just watched Inglorious Basterds today - if Waltz isn't Blofeld it will literally ruin the film.

Since when is the Bond villain not immediately apparent before the film comes out? I don't understand why all of a sudden it has to be a twist that they will just fail at. The Bond villain is such a trope BECAUSE you go in knowing. They usually make up for it by having the Bond villain just be soooo good. You have Waltz. You will get that.
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Why would they have this title without Blofeld in the movie? Or at least hinted at for Bond 25.

Again, EON can pick and choose what elements to use. Anyway, the whole idea of Bond having a brother who is Blofeld is more of a retcon than a reboot. It would suck. Sorry. I'm still pissed about Quantum of Solace.
    doubleoego wrote: »
    RC7 wrote: »
    I don't know if this has been mentioned or discussed already...

...looking at the production photographs and the trailers I wonder if it could be that SPECTRE will have kind of a retro look resembling/homaging the 60's.

The clothes, the sets and the sound indicate that this could be the case.

And the far more important question...if that's really the case wouldn't that be bloody marvelous?

Yes darling Swiss boy, it would :-P.

I'd rather a modern look. The 60's happened.

Precisely. Let's keep things moving forward.

Anybody who thinks today's airports are gorgeous and high-tech looking is crazy; look at Saarinen's TWA terminal NY from the 60s, now that is awesome. Even that french one that looks like hamster habitrails from the late 70s has some style.

Modern doesn't constitute progress, at least not in a lot of design.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    edited August 2015 Posts: 4,116
    ra7968 wrote: »
    Why would they have this title without Blofeld in the movie? Or at least hinted at for Bond 25.

Again, EON can pick and choose what elements to use. Anyway, the whole idea of Bond having a brother who is Blofeld is more of a retcon than a reboot. It would suck. Sorry. I'm still pissed about Quantum of Solace.

Two things ..Blofeld is not his brother. Second yeah adds a back story but doesn't ruin the series. I respect that some don't like Craig ...and I could do without the personal angle but if you really hate Craig that much don't see the movie. Everyone is now nagging that it looks retro... why? Because of the white tux ...or the Aston and Jag ..oh wait very modern.

I thought fans would be eating this up. The most popular Bond since Connery, the return of Spectre and retelling of that story for a new age etc...

MI:RN did it right ..we need to stick together ..SP may not hit all the buttons but we need to support it and wait for new adventures ..new faces ..new directors whatever.

...looking at the production photographs and the trailers I wonder if it could be that SPECTRE will have kind of a retro look resembling/homaging the 60's.

And the far more important question...if that's really the case wouldn't that be bloody marvelous?

This^

• mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    mcdonbb wrote: »

Two things ..Blofeld is not his brother. Second yeah adds a back story but doesn't ruin the series. I respect that some don't like Craig ...and I could do without the personal angle but if you really hate Craig that much don't see the movie. Everyone is now nagging that it looks retro... why? Because of the white tux ...or the Aston and Jag ..oh wait very modern.

I thought fans would be eating this up. The most popular Bond since Connery, the return of Spectre and retelling of that story for a new age etc...

MI:RN did it right ..we need to stick together ..SP may not hit all the buttons but we need to support it and wait for new adventures ..new faces ..new directors whatever.

Sorry got out of hand ...kinda bad night

No prob, mcdonbb. I love the passion of the folks here. I actually really like Craig though I tend to get a bit curmudgeonly because I didn't much care for QOS. They should have kept the dinner sequence :-)
  • RC7RC7

Like they did in the Brosnan-era. That wonderful, beautiful 1990's look. If it really concerns only the look of the film (cinematography, color filters, costumes, etc.), then in all honesty it's a more unimportant element of the film.

So much obviously wrong with this response, I don't even need to explain to anyone why.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    edited August 2015 Posts: 9,020
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    (Craig) The most popular Bond since Connery

To say it in Connery's words:

You must be joking! :-O
  • RC7RC7
    trevanian wrote: »

Precisely. Let's keep things moving forward.

Anybody who thinks today's airports are gorgeous and high-tech looking is crazy; look at Saarinen's TWA terminal NY from the 60s, now that is awesome. Even that french one that looks like hamster habitrails from the late 70s has some style.

Modern doesn't constitute progress, at least not in a lot of design.

Nobody is saying you can't lens architecture from the 60's, 70's, 80's and so on, but the overall aesthetic should feel current. The amazingly brutalist, Barbican, looks great in QoS, but the film doesn't have to evoke the late 70's early 80's with the rest of its design. Bond films of the 60's didn't look like 40's films, they looked like 60's films. Bond films of the 2010's should be just that, like with all Bond films - a time capsule, covering areas as diverse as aesthetics to social commentary.
  • mcdonbb wrote: »
    (Craig) The most popular Bond since Connery

To say it in Connery's words:

You must be joking! :-O

I'd find it pretty hard to argue that he isn't. In fact Craig has managed to pull in a fair number of people who previously had no interest in Bond whatsoever.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Connery IS Bond, especially in DN where he actually says he is scared. He would never admit that from GF onwards.
    jackdagger wrote: »
    A little soap opera-ish but another possibility is that Oberhauser could have died and Blofeld stole his identity?

That would be in character.

But it's not what is implied in what we know of the plot. Bond does not have a brother.
    jackdagger wrote: »
    A little soap opera-ish but another possibility is that Oberhauser could have died and Blofeld stole his identity?

That would be in character.

But it's not what is implied in what we know of the plot. Bond does not have a brother.

I do find this idea of the Bond/Blofeld-brothers angle both interesting and worrying.

It would seem unusual and overly contrived to have Bond's arch-foe re-depicted as his brother. In many ways, it directly flies in the face of what had been previously established as canon and would seem to be a total affront to Fleming and Blofeld as a character.

However, who is Blofeld? I mean, really? Despite appearing in 5 or so films, he has never really been fleshed out ever. He's always been portrayed as the omniscient villain and aside a few very iconic gimmicks (the nehru suit, the scar, the cat) there is very little to him as a character. Even in the books, Blofeld hardly appears and in his three starring films each of the actors offer a wildly different interpretation, almost to the point that they could be seen as three separate characters.

I feel as long as Mendes maintains some of the key iconography of the character, the character of Blofeld is such a blank state that he can really do what he wants with it.
    Actually, in the novels Blofeld is given a rather detailed background. I have always advocating for a return of Blofeld as he was described in the books. In the upcoming movie, it appears that Bond may have had a stepbrother at a time, or someone who could be considered as such, but given Blofeld's history of assuming fake identities and usurping identities, I doubt he is Bond's stepbrother. Franz Oberhauser may have been dead for some time when the movie starts, no matter who is the Waltz character.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Actually, in the novels Blofeld is given a rather detailed background. I have always advocating for a return of Blofeld as he was described in the books. In the upcoming movie, it appears that Bond may have had a stepbrother at a time, or someone who could be considered as such, but given Blofeld's history of assuming fake identities and usurping identities, I doubt he is Bond's stepbrother. Franz Oberhauser may have been dead for some time when the movie starts, no matter who is the Waltz character.
    This is what I hope for. Bond and Blofeld being step-brothers would be ridicolous.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited August 2015 Posts: 11,139
    After being let down by the supposed finale of my favourite video game series (MGS) whatever Mendes ends up doing with or without Blofeld cant shock me in the slightest. I'm well prepared for whatever bullsh*t twist Mendes may or may not have in store for us.

PdMCk47.gif
    Bond does not even seem to have a clear memory of Franz when he looks at the picture.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Bond does not even seem to have a clear memory of Franz when he looks at the picture.

Oh no.....not the Bourne twist.
    bondjames wrote: »

Or Craig simply can't act the scene

As Craig is a very capable and versatile actor that's highly unlikely.

You're confusing Craig with Brosnan...again.

You're confusing Craig with Brosnan...again.

Hardly, the short blonde grim looking one is very memorable, so is the tall, handsome, suave, debonair, charming one.
    Just that the latter was able to pull of action, sorrow, love-scenes and humour in a believable way.
    We'll see (maybe) if Craig finally convinces in a romantic scene or is capable of actually be funny or fun.
    He's the master of running and fighting though, even Connery doesn't come near Craig in that department.
    The point is, Craig is an infinitely better actor than Brosnan and brings credibility to the role. As such, as crippled a movie as QoS was, Craig was the best thing about it. He brings more to the screen than just action in his Bond movies. If Brosnan was put in any of the 3 Craig movies he would have ended up making Lazenby look like Marlon freaking Brando by comparison. If I want to watch a spy movie about "Mr.Funny man" then I'll watch the hijinks of Johnny English. Based on some of your posts in assessing certain scenes, amongst other things, you've also displayed your all too apparent inability to acknowledge subtlety and nuances when they've been presented.
    Brosnan was able to pull sorrow and love-scenes? Ahem! His good look was not enough: they couldn't make him seduce Paris Carver so they invented a backstory with her. As for his sorrow after her death, he sure did not seem to grieve when he was playing with his remote control car.

I'm not sure if you are being sarcastic or not. I simply meant that Bond does not seem to have a precise recollection of Franz Oberhauser. Which means I think that they were not so close.
    Brosnan was able to pull sorrow and love-scenes? Ahem! His good look was not enough: they couldn't make him seduce Paris Carver so they invented a backstory with her. As for his sorrow after her death, he sure did not seem to grieve when he was playing with his remote control car.

I'm not sure if you are being sarcastic or not. I simply meant that Bond does not seem to have a precise recollection of Franz Oberhauser. Which means I think that they were not so close.

Definite sarcasm..... No, I got your point.
    Just look at the Shakespearian sorrow he conveys after Paris' death less than 3 minutes before...riveting stuff!

lnahnakfvbvv4bhzslyt.jpg
    The point is, Craig is an infinitely better actor than Brosnan and brings credibility to the role. As such, as crippled a movie as QoS was, Craig was the best thing about it. He brings more to the screen than just action in his Bond movies. If Brosnan was put in any of the 3 Craig movies he would have ended up making Lazenby look like Marlon freaking Brando by comparison. If I want to watch a spy movie about "Mr.Funny man" then I'll watch the hijinks of Johnny English. Based on some of your posts in assessing certain scenes, amongst other things, you've also displayed your all too apparent inability to acknowledge subtlety and nuances when they've been presented.

I agree, if you simply would replace Craig with Brosnan, Brosnan would fail, respectively the movies wouldn't work.
    But it works the other way around too.
    Craig in Brosnan movies or even Moore movies would fail miserably as well.

Why do I fail to acknowledge subtlety and nuances?
    Do any of the Craig defenders (I don't mean that term negatively) acknowledge the great acting of Brosnan in TWINE??
    Was there no subtlety in Brosnan's acting in the Elektra sequence where he finally shoots her and then mourns her?

The tenor is always, Brosnan was bad, Craig is great. (I don't mean necessarily you).
    That's one reason I will always defend Brosnan when he gets compared to Craig.

Funny he never gets compared to Moore, Dalton or Connery. Speaks volumes if you ask me.
    edited August 2015 Posts: 23,883
    If I'm being honest, the good Brozz never convinced me in the seduction dept. I always got the impression he was the one being seduced and I found that troubling for a man who's supposed to have his character's background.

Craig did more with that one look in the shower scene before he approaches sitting Vesper (admittedly beautifully filmed and set up) in CR than Brozz or Dalton did in all their movies combined, imho. He too can come across a little forced at times, but that's more how it's written than any problem with him, in my eyes anyway. His seduction of Solange is a classic in the series.....probably as cool as it gets.

Brosnan was good in certain areas, but his seductive abilities always seemed a little strained, but then I'm speaking as a man.
    The shower scene in CR is one of the very few absolutely great and stunning Craig moments.
    But then, again, this scene without Eva Green would fall apart too.