The PIERCE BROSNAN Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

What if it was Sean Connery slapping the stewardess? Or Moore groping her?

Yep, the press would enjoy it. Moore and Connery could just shrug it off or blame it on old age.
  • ThomasCrown76ThomasCrown76 Augusta, ks
    Brosnan thought he could just shoot in and out
    concealing a potentially deadly weapon was one trick he never learned.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Fantastic. I will board with my sword next time. Sure they have heard of me, too?
    Brozza in ShawSHANK remake? ;)
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    I love Pierce as James Bond and in many other parts as well.
    I did love the four movies he made as Bond each one for different reasons.

Goldeneye had the best script and a wonderful female Villain in Xenia onatopp.
    Tomorrow never dies had the best action sequences espcially the whole escape with the bike.
    The world is not enough gave us a really unexpected twist.
    Die another day is visually stunning.

Pierce gave a great performance in all of them and i think its great how he managed to mix the best traits of his predecesors making a great Bond.

Outside of Bond i loved him in The Thomas Crown affair, After the susnset and very recently the november man.
    But he surprsied how good he can be going dark in Butterfly on a wheel and The tailor of Panama.

• SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    I love Pierce as James Bond and in many other parts as well.
    I did love the four movies he made as Bond each one for different reasons.

Goldeneye had the best script and a wonderful female Villain in Xenia onatopp.
    Tomorrow never dies had the best action sequences espcially the whole escape with the bike.
    The world is not enough gave us a really unexpected twist.
    Die another day is visually stunning.

Pierce gave a great performance in all of them and i think its great how he managed to mix the best traits of his predecesors making a great Bond.

Outside of Bond i loved him in The Thomas Crown affair, After the susnset and very recently the november man.
    But he surprsied how good he can be going dark in Butterfly on a wheel and The tailor of Panama.
  • edited August 2015 Posts: 11,189
    How is Die Another Day visually stunning?

I've seen Butterfly on a Wheel and, personally, I think it's one of his weaker performances. He's good in TOP though,
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    First the ice Palace, i remember how amazed i was watching it in theatesr and the whole presentation party of the Icaro looked like you were there.

Also the beach scene had a very nice photography
    To be honest I think quite a lot of the location photography is fairly average. Yes, it's colourful but there is no comparison to the photography in the early Connery's, OHMSS or even the Craig films that came after it.

Goldeneye has some good cinematography at times.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Never will understand why DAD is regarded as being so bad.

It is visually stunning, Cuba, Iceland two of the best locations any Bond has ever been.
    The ice palace is fracking fantastic and the two main cars are both equal in beauty and the face-off between them is one of the most memorable sequences of any Bond movie.

Do I like DAD, yes very. It is my No 10 movie in my ranking.

And if I hear that stupid argument of the very short CGI sequence "surfing" once more, I'll bust. That's about 10 seconds of a 2 hour movie.
    The script is fan fiction. A LOT of ideas/characters/action thrown into one big pot.

The first forty minutes or so is half decent but after that it's simply incompetent.

It says a lot when Brosnan (you know...the bloke who starred in it) is shown cracking up at the film.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    DAD was just absolute trash. An embarrassing abomination.
    Trying to carry a hunting knife onto a plane? Perhaps Pierce was getting confused between real life and the movies!
    Well he is getting on a bit. Those evening years are fast approaching.
    Well, to say that a Bond movie is absolute trash seems unreasonable.
    Even DAF is far from being trash.

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A BAD JAMES BOND MOVIE

Just a least good one, and if that happens to be DAD for someone that's ok.

For me it's DAF.

Also to bash Brosnan as "worst" Bond is unreasonable too if you count yourself to the fans of the Bond franchise.
    All 6 actors have done a marvelous job.
    edited August 2015 Posts: 11,139
    I can't subscribe to that.

I'm a diehard Bond fan but I'm not letting my fandom blind me from being non-partisan. I think there are terrible Bond movies in the series where there are some good things to be found in each but as it stands, for me, DAD is absolute garbage.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Die Another Day was pretty bad, but Pierce made it watchable.
    DELETE
    edited August 2015 Posts: 9,020
    I'm a diehard Bond fan too.
    But to say one or the other Bond movie is absolute garbage disqualifies one of being a diehard fan in my opinion.
    You can dislike a movie and others may find it quite enjoyable.

I imagine what shitstorm I would get here if I said Skyfall is absolute garbage or DAF is absolute garbage.

But or course a Brosnan movie is always fair game to bash.

Additionally count all the negative Brosnan threads on this site! Some really try to convince everybody how bad Brosnan is and his movies. Despicable.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    DELETE
    As this is an appreciation thread, I will have to say "Agree."
    But to say one or the other Bond movie is absolute garbage disqualifies one of being a diehard fan in my opinion.

I imagine what shitstorm I would get here if I said Skyfall is absolute garbage or DAF is absolute garbage.

Additionally count all the negative Brosnan threads on this site! Some really try to convince everybody how bad Brosnan is and his movies. Despicable.

That's your opinion and if you're too worried about what others think about your feelings towards a Bond film then that's unfortunate.

It's because I'm a diehard Bond fan that I'm able to simply regard and assess the Bond movies in any way that I feel without the burden of bias. I'm a diehard hard spider-man fan too and I havnt been wholly satisfied with any of the 5 cinematic spidey movies. In fact, SM3 and ASM2 are absolute trash imo and I hate with a passion the spider totem bull crap that J Michael Stravinsky came up with in the comics and dont get me started on the abomination that was the clone saga with Kane, Ben Reilly et all.

If I didn't know any better I'd give a damn and take offence to you saying that I don't qualify as a die hard Bond fan because I think DAD is absolute garbage but such is life. I'm a diehard Bond fan, I care about the series more than I probably should and yes, I do think DAD is utter dog shit.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited August 2015 Posts: 23,883
    Pierce was half decent in it but I too feel that DAD was a POS in more ways than one.

Imho there is very little to redeem that film I'm afraid. I don't know if it was consciously trying to compete with Austin Powers in order to be more successful at the box office (which it certainly was) or if it was trying to make Powers redundant, but it certainly is, for me, a low point in Bond's history that I am happy is long gone.

As Pierce himself would say: "Not exactly our finest hour"
    edited August 2015 Posts: 9,020
    doubleoego wrote: »

It's because I'm a diehard Bond fan that I'm able to simply regard and assess the Bond movies in any way that I feel without the burden of bias.
    If I didn't know any better I'd give a damn and take offence to you saying that I don't qualify as a die hard Bond fan because I think DAD is absolute garbage but such is life.

I apologise, to say it disqualifies someone of being a diehard fan if he hates one film was wrong.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico

Not to play the poor us game, but Pierce fans are minority within the Bond fans. Seems like now the cool thing is hating Pierce and his films as Bond except for Goldeneye.

I accept that maybe the scrpits deserved better work but they did a fine job in making his films fun entertaining Bond flicks and like it has been discussed often each Bond is a product of its timed and their films follow a trend.

Like you said maybe when the next actor comes to take the part Pierce and his films will be liked again.

• edited August 2015 Posts: 11,425
    Szonana wrote: »

Not to play the poor us game, but Pierce fans are minority within the Bond fans. Seems like now the cool thing is hating Pierce and his films as Bond except for Goldeneye.

I accept that maybe the scrpits deserved better work but they did a fine job in making his films fun entertaining Bond flicks and like it has been discussed often each Bond is a product of its timed and their films follow a trend.

Like you said maybe when the next actor comes to take the part Pierce and his films will be liked again.

I'm not saying this to stir up trouble but I disliked Brosnan as Bond from the first time I saw GE in the cinema back in 1995. I definitely didn't think I was being cool, as everyone I knew loved it and continued to love Brosnan all the way through to DAD. It was a lost decade for me as a Bond fan. And I definitely didn't find his films entertaining - I found them really painfully awful. Having said that, I remained a strong enough Bond fan to see every Brosnan film at the cinema. I think I was less shocked by DAD than anyone else, as it seemed the natural conclusion to the trajectory the films had been on since 1995.

Needless to say, CR was like a breath of fresh air for me.

All I'm saying is that different people see these things from different perspectives.

I could see even at the time that they were trying to go back to the Roger era with Pierce, but as a big Rog fan, who appreciates the OTT side of the series as much as the stripped back 'serious' aspects, I think they failed big time.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited August 2015 Posts: 17,698
    We fans trudge though our unfavourites... back in 2002 I thought DAD was crap. In 2006 I felt the same about CR.
    Now I can enjoy either immensely.
    I feel sad for the rest... :))
    I don't feel trudging and Bond fandom should go together, at least not for an entire decade!

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited August 2015 Posts: 23,883
    For me it was thankfully only 3 -5 years of trudgery.

TND was ok. Not my favourite but it certainly has some class leading action in it (especially the pretitles and bike chase, although I didn't like the BMW remote car all that much) and the first half is first class.

TWINE is almost unwatchable for me. DAD I can certainly get through, as a comedic parody, but when commenting critically on it, I have to be honest and say it's not something EON should be too proud of.