The PIERCE BROSNAN Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    RC7 wrote: »
    Well, the rather odd thing is, Pierce's fandom is made of females more than males, and most of the women love him only for his looks, and not for his acting skills or abilities.

Do you have stats to back that up, or is it just an assumption?
    In between, actually. From fansites to Facebook groups. Most of the members are women.
  • RC7RC7
    RC7 wrote: »
    Well, the rather odd thing is, Pierce's fandom is made of females more than males, and most of the women love him only for his looks, and not for his acting skills or abilities.

Do you have stats to back that up, or is it just an assumption?
    In between, actually. From fansites to Facebook groups. Most of the members are women.

Ah right, so niche areas of the internet. In the wider world I imagine a more even spread. I know a lot of blokes who rate Brosnan.

• w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    It was because of Brosnan that I became a Bond fan. And for a long time, I had a hard time seeing the other actors as Bond.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited June 2015 Posts: 23,883
    Well, the rather odd thing is, Pierce's fandom is made of females more than males, and most of the women love him only for his looks, and not for his acting skills or abilities. I've got to tell you, though, the amount of their numbers is quite large than you'd imagine.

Ironically, at least on this site, I find most of the people (mostly men interestingly) advocating for Brosnan also refer to his good looks and style (these were never in any doubt by the way.....he is the most, or one of the most handsome/stylish men to ever come close to James Bond).
    bondjames wrote: »
    Well, the rather odd thing is, Pierce's fandom is made of females more than males, and most of the women love him only for his looks, and not for his acting skills or abilities. I've got to tell you, though, the amount of their numbers is quite large than you'd imagine.

Ironically, at least on this site, I find most of the people (mostly men interestingly) advocating for Brosnan also refer to his good looks and style (these were never in any doubt by the way.....he is the most, or one of the most handsome/stylish men to ever come close to James Bond).
    He is very good looking, there's no doubt about that. But, what I do personally notice about his fans mostly (well, I don't think there are much of Brosnan fans in here, anyway) is that they overlook his acting performances. He's versatile when it comes to playing a good role. Now, let's make a good call back to one of his lesser known films, Butterfly On A Wheel, in which he portrayed an intensive villain (supposedly) that was far from being a prince charming, which sadly is gone unnoticed. All the times from the majority of the fandom, outside of his Bond work, the discussions either concentrate on Remington Steele (which is a brilliant show, but overrated within the fandom just because it's a Brosnan vehicle and not because of its quality) and Thomas Crown. It's as if he never played anything else other than Steele, Crown and Bond.
  • RC7RC7
    (well, I don't think there are much of Brosnan fans in here, anyway)

I'd beg to differ and most recognise his talents outside the mainstream. It's a myth that people don't like Brosnan, it's just that his detractors are the most vociferous group of Bond fans next to Craig defenders.
    Well, at least, it's good to know that I'm wrong about it, because I myself am a huge Brosnan fan. :)
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I think one must be careful in pigeon holing the 'Brosnan detractors'. Many, if not most, comment directly on his work as James Bond, rather than his acting abilities/looks in general or how good he's been in other films (very good, by the way).
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited July 2015 Posts: 15,690
    His next upcoming movie? Looks like he's going to do some serious Rogering in this one.

I so want Brosnan to make another decent film. Not been anything of substance since The Matador and Seraphim Falls. Maybe he needs a new agent! Bit like Robert De Niro's poor run of films. Not that I'm comparing their acting abilities! No Escape looks half decent to be fair.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited July 2015 Posts: 7,980
    "Englishman" look entertaining.
  • edited July 2015 Posts: 11,189
    LeChiffre wrote: »
    I so want Brosnan to make another decent film. Not been anything of substance since The Matador and Seraphim Falls. Maybe he needs a new agent! Bit like Robert De Niro's poor run of films. Not that I'm comparing their acting abilities! No Escape looks half decent to be fair.

I think the last movie "of substance" he did was Love is all You Need - a film in which he was playing a widower.

I can't say that the film above looks particularly good. The best thing about it is the title.
    Cary Grant had a diverse career. Several roles fit into the category of light hearted romp. I like all three actors involved particularly Brosnan and Hayak. I actually think that any of the Actors, at the right age and stage of their careers, who have portrayed Bond would fit nicely into this.
    However, I don't think Daniel would do a romcom. I do recall in an interview a few years back he stated that it wasn't his thing.
    Not his thing but he could do a great job with one.
    He should do Thomas Crown 2. Not sure why it's not happened yet. I hope he does Expendables 4.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    His next upcoming movie? Looks like he's going to do some serious Rogering in this one.

I am SO there!
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    It looks fun. :D
    edited July 2015 Posts: 17,691
    Seems low on action though...
    I'd rather see him go back to action or something semi-serious than another forgettable comedy.
    edited July 2015 Posts: 17,691
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    I'd rather see him go back to action or something semi-serious than another forgettable comedy.
    Look at his co-stars. I doubt it will be forgettable... :P
    Jessica Alba? Meh.
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    Jessica Alba? Meh.
    Blasphemy.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Salma Hayak is still a stunner.

doubleoego wrote: »
    Salma Hayak is still a stunner.
    Time to put on "After The Sunset" again!
    :)>-
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Yes and Desperado.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Both The Greatest and Seraphim Falls are now showing on the iPlayer
    Seraphim Falls is freakin' awesome IMHO.
  • edited July 2015 Posts: 11,189
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Seraphim Falls is freakin' awesome IMHO.

There's some great cinematography in it, but otherwise I found it fairly average based on the last time I re-watched it.

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    neeson-brosnan2.jpg