The Score of Skyfall

Comments

Arnold's score for the Bond movies has been going downhill so it'd be nice and fresh to have a new composer coming onboard just this one time, perhaps replace even him. I sure wouldn't mind.
    I'd argue its gone uphill from DAD to CR and QoS, but I still would like to see him move on.
  • I'd argue its gone uphill from DAD to CR and QoS, but I still would like to see him move on.
    Maybe downhill is poor choice of word, the score for CR and TND is good but the other two aren't so good so I wouldn't be against getting a new composer in case he can't do it, at least I don't want him to continue to score say, the movie for the new Bond after Craig.
  • Do you think Thomas Newman is able to make a James Bond soundtrack ?
    Of course he is, and I bet he will be the producers' choice.
    I actually like his work with QoS. I thought there were definitely some fortes (pun intended).

The intro to QoS, 'Time To Get Out', still gives me chills.
  • edited November 2011 Posts: 4,619
    Whoever will be the composer I really hope Scottish bagpipes will be incorporated into the score.

Bond driving his Aston Martin on the way to Duntrune Castle...

...with music similar to this...

What do you think?

Would be interesting. I'd love a string heavy soundtrack though. Something chilling with high violin. Like the Wolfman soundtrack I mentioned somewhere... I'll re-link it. Such a good tone for a suspenseful/creepy vibe.

I'd love to see a chiller/horror - vibe as Bond learns the big 'twist'
  • edited November 2011 Posts: 584
    @ JWESTBROOK Unfortunately, only a composer of Elfman's caliber can come close to replicating a theme like this.
    @ JWESTBROOK Unfortunately, only a composer of Elfman's caliber can come close to replicating a theme like this.
    Yea.. I don't really expect it out of Arnold..
  • I've said before that I'd like to see a change in composer (which it looks like we might possibly be getting). I loved the scores for TND and CR, but other than that I've felt David Arnold has coasted a bit, with too much reliance on bomast (and electronica at times). John Barry understood horns and woodwinds really well and David Arnold relies a bit too much (like most modern composers) on strings and percussion.

Anyway, I think it needs a touch more humour in the music (all takes itself so seriously) and I think some excellent candidates for the job would be people like Alexandre Desplat or Joby Talbot. I'll support their nomination, but if Arnold's back... lighten up a bit!
  • edited November 2011 Posts: 3,160
    Whoever will be the composer I really hope Scottish bagpipes will be incorporated into the score.

Bond driving his Aston Martin on the way to Duntrune Castle...

IMO, this example from Thomas Newman, using bagpipes and strings, suits that picture perfectly:

(from 1:07):

I know it doesn't mean anything, but...

...David Arnold has been removed from the list of crew members on the iMDB page of Skyfall. :bz
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited November 2011 Posts: 13,350
    It doesn't mean a thing but Thomas Newman may well be about to step in for this film...

How long will we have to wait to hear something I wonder. The middle of next year?
    Would be interesting. I'd love a string heavy soundtrack though. Something chilling with high violin. Like the Wolfman soundtrack I mentioned somewhere... I'll re-link it. Such a good tone for a suspenseful/creepy vibe.

I'd love to see a chiller/horror - vibe as Bond learns the big 'twist'
    i now want Elfman to be the composer for Skyfall based on this one song. BRILLIANT!

• edited November 2011 Posts: 300
    My choice for a new composer to tackle 007 would be another John: John Powell. Force yourself, if you must, to look beyond his work on the Bourne series. While that music is great for Bourne, I don't really think that kind of sound supports Bond as well; not even a gritty Bond. For those who are familiar with Powell, you know Bond would be an ideal task for him, but also look at his work on all these animated movies he's done in recent years: everything from the first Shreck movie to Happy Feet, How To Train Your Dragon and Rio. The man is obviously an extremely talented composer and quite versatile at that, but almost more importantly he is an avid collaborator. Each one of these animated musicals requires extensive collaboration and he doesn't let it bog him down at all or disrupt his creative process.

However, just to display a Bond-esque sound, here's a cue from the X-Men film he scored that has always reminded me of Bond.

Take note at 1:09 especially.

Not that Imdb Pro gets everything right, but David Arnold has been removed.
    No composer is listed.

I'm betting Eon are talking to another composer right now. Thomas Newman?
    I'm betting Eon are talking to another composer right now.
    Or they're talking to David Arnold.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    I always thought Elfman's score for Wolfman was a poor man's Bram Stokers Dracula, say what you want about the film but Woljech Kilar's score is incredible, Elfman's seems a pale imitation in comparison.

I don't get all the DF love yes he's done some great scores for Burton in the past but of late, his score to Red Dragon was atrocious, it sign posted pretty much everything and left the film with no suspense at all, I know it doesn't help that the Hackner was directing.

Personally I'm prepared to see what Arnold can do as for me QOS was his best score but ideally would like new blood. The knack is to have The Barry feel without replicating it like DA has done, I always thought Spike Lee's score meister Terence Blanchard after seeing Inside Man had the right feel.
  • SirGodfreySirGodfrey France
    My choice for a new composer to tackle 007 would be another John: John Powell. Force yourself, if you must, to look beyond his work on the Bourne series. While that music is great for Bourne, I don't really think that kind of sound supports Bond as well; not even a gritty Bond. For those who are familiar with Powell, you know Bond would be an ideal task for him, but also look at his work on all these animated movies he's done in recent years: everything from the first Shreck movie to Happy Feet, How To Train Your Dragon and Rio. The man is obviously an extremely talented composer and quite versatile at that, but almost more importantly he is an avid collaborator. Each one of these animated musicals requires extensive collaboration and he doesn't let it bog him down at all or disrupt his creative process.

However, just to display a Bond-esque sound, here's a cue from the X-Men film he scored that has always reminded me of Bond.

I think it's an excellent choice !

• My choice for a new composer to tackle 007 would be another John: John Powell. Force yourself, if you must, to look beyond his work on the Bourne series. While that music is great for Bourne, I don't really think that kind of sound supports Bond as well; not even a gritty Bond. For those who are familiar with Powell, you know Bond would be an ideal task for him, but also look at his work on all these animated movies he's done in recent years: everything from the first Shreck movie to Happy Feet, How To Train Your Dragon and Rio. The man is obviously an extremely talented composer and quite versatile at that, but almost more importantly he is an avid collaborator. Each one of these animated musicals requires extensive collaboration and he doesn't let it bog him down at all or disrupt his creative process.

I think it's an excellent choice !

Thank you!
  • edited November 2011 Posts: 11,119
    I don't know what's going on with David Arnold's resume on http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0003417/ , but it's awfully quiet. He hasn't got any work to do at this moment. At least, not pre-production or post-production work on a movie project. Checking the Skyfall-page on IMDB I only get two names related to the music/sound department: Monty Norman, we know for what, and Scott Millan, sound mixer. Also, did David Arnold actually never receive an Oscar or Golden Globe nomination? The last big prize he won was a Grammy for his score on 'Independence Day' in 1995.

Now let's compare his work with his fellow countryman John Powell's: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0694173/. We can find out that John Powell is actually way more productive with several movie projects being on active. And, Powell is off course the one who created the suspenseful music for Jason Bourne. Of which this one is an unforgettable example. One can really hum this one at home, something that is impossible with David Arnold's last scores:

So I say, send David Arnold a big thank-you and put John Powell on EON's payslip.
  • Another great cue by John Powell. This one from the film, Paycheck.

• Do I hear a bit of James Bond theme in the above Paycheck-track ;-) ? By the way, John Powell uses strings much more effectively. Especially the violins. And again, this is a track you can hum away.
  • WillardWhyteWillardWhyte Midnight Society #ProjectMoon
    I think the score has to go back to the basics. WE gotta have instrumental pieces, big orchestras...and absolutely no techno garbage.
  • Indeed. And most importantly, themes that have clear leitmotifs, melodies. Themes that can be recognized. David Arnold lost his talent to actually create a specific sound for each Bond film. TND is an exception on the rule IMO.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    If Powell got the job to score Bond 23, we'd be having loads of James Bourne discussion again, I'm afraid.
  • Why afraid? I'm pretty certain he will get into the skin of the Bond franchise.
  • edited November 2011 Posts: 300
    I don't think there would be a reason to have fear about Powell. He clearly knows his craft well and would certainly know better than to have a Bond score sound like a Bourne score. I know he'd deliver the goods. He's a smart guy, and he would understand the legacy of Bond and what that requires.
  • I just tweeted @DavidGArnold: "@DavidGArnold Well Mister -twitter addict- Arnold. Are you on the production team of #Skyfall or not :-P ?"

His reaction to me was both crisp and clear: "@GertJanWaterink no news"

So David Arnold still hasn't heard a thing from EON Productions. And as the Sound Mixing Department is already in place, with Scott Millan on board as re-recording mixer (4 time Oscar winner for 'Apollo 13', 'Ray', 'Gladiator' and 'The Bourne Ultimatum'), I think we can start assuming that EON Productions are actually looking for another composer to helm the Skyfall-score.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    Poor Dave, pestered at least once a week by the fans. I'm surprised he bothers to answer each time. Do you know him personally?
  • zebrafish wrote:
    Poor Dave, pestered at least once a week by the fans. I'm surprised he bothers to answer each time. Do you know him personally?

Why poor? David is always very willing to answer questions on Twitter. And when I ask him something, it's always with an eyewink ;). Last time I asked him something about 'No Good About Goodbye'. Also got a nice answer from him.

This has nothing to do with pestering. Allthough I do find it remarkable that he still has no news regarding possible work for Skyfall. Especially now they already hired a -Oscar winning- sound mixer.