The Score of Skyfall

Comments

• SharkShark Banned
    jolearon: I am the member Shadow talks of. I am essentially Chief Inspector Charles Dreyfus to David Arnold's Inspector Jacques Clouseau.
    oof... i would rather watch Die Another Day and Moonraker back to back lol.
    I think Diamonds Are Forever is worse than Moonraker. But never-the-less, agreed.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    TSWLM, MR. DAF, all in my top 6 favorite outings.
  • Oh... but of course orchestrating is important. So are the craftsmen when building a house. But they get nowhere without the design and plans made by the architect.

For the last five Bondmovies, Arnold has been a great architect, IMO. Like I wrote so many times earlier in this thread: you may disagree, like I disagree when you are arguing that his work is "lazy" and "lacking." Actually I find a lot of "complexity" in a lot of his work, and so would you probably, if you would put your prejudice towards him away for a while.

Earlier you wrote that Arnold's best work so far was in QoS. Great! So according to you he is getting better and better. And you still want to axe him?
    Z, you are THE MAN =D> :-D

Melody is first and foremost in music, unless you're doing free form jazz type stuff. That's what has to come across and what makes or breaks a song of any type. The rest of these arguments, while valid to some extent, are mostly nitpicking and musical snobbery. Are there better composers than DA? Sure there are. But if they are going to ignore the musical legacy of Barry like Serra did, then bring back Arnold because I don't want them.

City Of Lovers is one of the best pieces of work in the entire series. Unmemorable? Musically simple? As a trained musician myself, I'd say anyone who thinks that way must have made up their mind that they don't like the guy. The melody is first rate and ranks with ANYTHING Barry had ever created. It's a shame he hasn't been able to do it more consistently, but I do see improvement with each film and no reason to can him.

I asked Arnold on twitter whether him working on the next Olympic Games is the reason he doesn't know yet whether he'll score Skyfall.

His answer was no!
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited November 2011 Posts: 13,350
    In that case is there a fight within EON for who is wanted to score Skyfall or is Arnold just not signed on yet?...
  • edited November 2011 Posts: 4,619
    During the making of CR Arnold confirmed he'll do the score in October 2005 and during the making of QOS he confirmed that he'll work on the film in October 2007.

I think it's more than just "Arnold is just not signed on yet"...
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    I asked Arnold on twitter whether him working on the next Olympic Games is the reason he doesn't know yet whether he'll score Skyfall.

His answer was no!
    Oops! I'll say they there is some issue with him and the producers that we don't know about, and not necessarily about his artistic suitability.

If they did not want him this time, I guess they would have found a replacement already but did not announce it yet. If there are other problems, e.g. with DAs contract, they better find a replacement soon as a backup.

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    During the making of CR Arnold confirmed he'll do the score in October 2005 and during the making of QOS he confirmed that he'll work on the film in October 2007.

I think it's more than just "Arnold is just not signed on yet"...
    It's only November. The window is closing but there is still time.
  • Well his score for Quantum Of Solace wasn't, in my opinion, very good at all. So maybe they have sacked him. :)
    What about bringing back Marvin Hamlisch? :)

After all he's the only composer to receive a Best Score Oscar-Nomination for a Bond film...
  • Henry Jackman
    I think it's fairly obvious that Arnold is going to sit this one out. Mendes has used Thomas Newman for most of his movies, and after listening to part of his 'Road to Perdition'-soundtrack I actually wouldn't mind the change at all. They can always bring Arnold back.

• zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    Personally, I find Thomas Newman's scores too electronical. Not my cup of tea, unless he goes for full orchestra.
  • If Newman does do it, and doesn't give the soundtrack a mostly orchestral sound that feels like a Bond soundtrack, then I'm inclined to think it won't be any better and likely worse than what Arnold would have done. I don't like electronic music much anyway, things like drum machines and the like should never replace a real musician. I have little respect for people who use these things in place of a real person and sample other people's work and call themselves musicians. I agree that Newman did do some nice work in RTP so I have some hope should he be named.

• SharkShark Banned
    edited November 2011 Posts: 348
    duplicate
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    oof... i would rather watch Die Another Day and Moonraker back to back lol.
    I think Diamonds Are Forever is worse than Moonraker. But never-the-less, agreed.
    Die Another Day
    Moonraker
    A View To A Kill
    Diamonds Are Forever
    The Man With Golden Gun...

that usually rounds out my bottom five of Bond films....

but i would rather watch any one of those films over some of the trash Hollywood is shoveling out there days.

What would you think of a David Arnold - Thomas Newman collaboration?
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited November 2011 Posts: 15,690
    Very bad idea. I'd even prefer Arnold alone than a collaboration between the 2.

• HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    Nah... one or the other, but not both.
    I'm gonna throw Danny Elfman in.

Did some Batman, The Wolfman soundtrack (which also featured in a Tinker Taylor Soldier Spy trailer), The Nightmare Before Christmas, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (recent) and others.

His Wolfman soundtrack, specifically the one below, is absolutely superb, and very dark (as it should be). I'd like to see what he could do with Bond.

Why is that? I think collaboration of composers can be great, just look at the scores of Batman Begins and The Dark Knight.

• OnlyManWhoCanOnlyManWhoCan Greater London
    I'm gonna throw Danny Elfman in.

Did some Batman, The Wolfman soundtrack (which also featured in a Tinker Taylor Soldier Spy trailer), The Nightmare Before Christmas, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (recent) and others.

His Wolfman soundtrack, specifically the one below, is absolutely superb, and very dark (as it should be). I'd like to see what he could do with Bond.

I was going to say: 'no no no! Elfman has passed his sell-by-date and has descended into self-parody...' but then I listened to that bit of music.

It is brilliant!

It shows a range I was not aware he had. Perhaps he WOULD be a decent, left-field choice?
    The entire soundtrack is just phenomenal. The best part of the movie, which is said, because that means you don't even have to watch it :P

But I don't even know how to play a clarinet. Composing and doing a soundtrack, let alone multiple soundtracks for different style films.

Can't be easy, but you get payed for what you do I spose. I think people like Elfman and Arnold have potential, but through their maturing careers.

For Arnold, he was young, and brought in during the 90's, so of course his beats are going to resemble that of a young guy in the 90's - style - music. Yet you see, as Arnold broadened his horizons and played off of other people, he and his sound have matured.

I think its probably the same case with Elfman. His music matures with him, and he refines his skill. I don't believe in artists getting "lucky" everything a person creates is "art", just some is widely viewed as so and some is not. They wouldn't be in the business if there wasn't skill. Sometimes it just fits the character and film properly, and others (most of the time for Arnold) it doesn't.
    edited November 2011 Posts: 15,690

Why is that? I think collaboration of composers can be great, just look at the scores of Batman Begins and The Dark Knight.

Because it's a bad idea. Maybe it worked for the 2 Batman films, but a collaboration of composers is generally a bad idea. These sorts of collaboration usually are a big mess.

Because it's a bad idea. Maybe it worked for the 2 Batman films, but a collaboration of composers is generally a bad idea. These sorts of collaboration usually are a big mess.
    Can you give an example? I mean where the result of two composer's collaboration was a mess?

Can you give an example? I mean where the result of two composer's collaboration was a mess?
    @Shark can explain better, so I'll let him answer the collaboration issue when he reads this.
    Does anyone else think that David has lost the job because of what he 'tweets'?

A few of his tweets have been a little offensive.
    Does anyone else think that David has lost the job because of what he 'tweets'?

A few of his tweets have been a little offensive.
    No, I don't think so. Although... did you notice that recently David turned schizophrenic? He's having conversations with himself on twitter! :-))

Just one example:
  • edited November 2011 Posts: 17
    Arnold's score for the Bond movies has been going downhill so it'd be nice and fresh to have a new composer coming onboard just this one time, perhaps replace even him. I sure wouldn't mind.