The Score of Skyfall

Comments

• Can someone tell me how long it took for David Arnold to get on board of the production team of the previous 5 Bond films? Was he usually on board even before the official press announcement of a new Bond film?.
  • SharkShark Banned
    John Powell bores me to tears.

Can someone tell me how long it took for David Arnold to get on board of the production team of the previous 5 Bond films? Was he usually on board even before the official press announcement of a new Bond film?.
    I believe there is no set date by which Arnold joined production each and every time. Sometimes he was on-board before the annoucement, something he joined after it. But even if there was a date by which Arnold was confirmed as composer, you could to use that as a reference this time around (which you're obviously trying to do) because assuming that things will always happen one particular way because they had previously happened that way is a fallacy.
  • Can someone tell me how long it took for David Arnold to get on board of the production team of the previous 5 Bond films? Was he usually on board even before the official press announcement of a new Bond film?.
    I believe there is no set date by which Arnold joined production each and every time. Sometimes he was on-board before the annoucement, something he joined after it. But even if there was a date by which Arnold was confirmed as composer, you could to use that as a reference this time around (which you're obviously trying to do) because assuming that things will always happen one particular way because they had previously happened that way is a fallacy.

Thank you my big friend. One big hug and kiss >:D<
  • Shark wrote:

Please explain why this is so.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited November 2011 Posts: 13,350
    Shark wrote:

Please explain why this is so.

Hopefully Thomas Newman doesn't, as it could well be him scoring this film.
  • edited November 2011 Posts: 5,745
    How about Michael Giacchino?
    He mainly works with Abrams on his works, doing the scores for Star Trek (2009) and Super 8. I think he'd be great. I also think a Abrams-Giacchino Duo would be greater, but hey. In Star Trek he keeps a similar theme throughout his works, but making each unique- just like most Bond films. I love movies, like YOLT, that have the same general notes, but on different instruments and at different tones. Beautiful.

EDIT: He also did Cars 2, Up, Mission: Impossible Ghost Protocol, Mission: Impossible 3, and many seasons of Lost. Oh, and super suave The Incredibles soundtrack.

Here's some of my favorites of his:

If this doesn't win you over, I don't know what will:

And more..

This one, at about :53, could definitely be Bond material, perhaps a trailer.

And this one, at 2:33, just beautiful. Especially if you've seen the movie.

Okay, I'll stop spamming now

• JWESTBROOK wrote:

I like Giacchino as well, but it seems all his scores are too "big" and "complex" for a Bond film.
    JWESTBROOK wrote:

I like Giacchino as well, but it seems all his scores are too "big" and "complex" for a Bond film.

The first video, which you may have missed because I kept adding videos, sounds so Barry. Its the first Incredibles video.

Yes his scores are complex, but I feel thats not too big a problem to manage ;) I compare his scores to something like a YOLT score.

PSYCH, didn't add it, here it is:
    Thank you my big friend. One big hug and kiss >:D<
    Don't make this weird.
  • i've heard it's Thomas Newman for sure. David Arnold will be back on the next one.
    interesting well we'll see what Newman brings to the table.
  • badgerboy wrote:
    i've heard it's Thomas Newman for sure. David Arnold will be back on the next one.

For sure?? Only thing I know for sure that I have to pee :-/. What's your source?
    My vote is on Newman or Michael Giacchino. But I'm sure its Newman.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited November 2011 Posts: 23,551
    I'm fairly confident it'll be Arnold. They will not let him go, not as long as Arnold wants to do it at least.
  • SharkShark Banned
    edited November 2011 Posts: 348
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    Yes his scores are complex, but I feel thats not too big a problem to manage I compare his scores to something like a YOLT score.

That INCREDIBLES cue you posted is far more complex (not in a good way) and erratic than anything in Barry's YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE.
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    My vote is on Newman or Michael Giacchino. But I'm sure its Newman.

Is it *just* your gut feeling or do you have a source?

Shark wrote:
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    Yes his scores are complex, but I feel thats not too big a problem to manage I compare his scores to something like a YOLT score.

That INCREDIBLES cue you posted is far more complex (not in a good way) and erratic than anything in Barry's YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE.

I'm not saying THAT score would fit in YOLT, or any other Bond film for that matter. I'm just saying he knows how to use percussion and horns, unlike ehem Arnold. Overall its a good score. He's never touched relied on techno, and goes easy on the strings. His pieces ALWAYS fit his movies. Star Trek, Super 8, Incredibles.. they all fit their movies perfectly. He is not an erratic composer, Incredibles had erratic pieces because it had erratic sequences. Its hard to argue he isn't talented, at best!
  • Monsieur_AubergineMonsieur_Aubergine Top of the Eiffel Tower with a fly in my soup!
    edited November 2011 Posts: 642
    ^"never touched techno" not strictly true, his scores for Alias, which is the nearest thing to Bond he has ever done was full to the brim of it..and he did it superbly. I implore anyone to check out the Alias scores, they are heavy and high brass, a mix of light and heavy strings (lot of dark bass and cello) and some clever percussion. He is also very adept at adapting to location, his work for Alias spanning many continents was a real 'under the radar' moment that I was really glad to find! Seriously, check it out, Seasons 1 and 2 only are available.
    ^"never touched techno" not strictly true

Fixed ;)
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I'd cream my pants the day I am to hear Harry Gregson-Williams will score a Bond movie.
    doubleoego wrote:
    I'd cream my pants the day I am to hear Harry Gregson-Williams will score a Bond movie.

Never will a louder swear have been heard in my street than that day.
    You find him that bad?
    I find this man very inappropriate for Bond. Anyone from the Zimmer school of film computers composers needs to stay away from Bond as far as they can.
    HGW is very distinguishable from Zimmer though and is an excellent composer. He'd be great for Bond. If nothing else the man can bring a real sense of thematic atmosphere.
  • Monsieur_AubergineMonsieur_Aubergine Top of the Eiffel Tower with a fly in my soup!
    HGW's score for Bee Movie - stay with me - was very good thematically and dramatically, he would definitely do Bond proud. Lots of Barry licks in his scores too.
  • edited November 2011 Posts: 11,119
    DarthDimi wrote:
    I'm fairly confident it'll be Arnold. They will not let him go, not as long as Arnold wants to do it at least.

It would be bad if Bond producers Michael G. Wilson and Barbara Brocolli were signing contracts that passively. Look to how EON basically dumped Pierce Brosnan from his role. They could easily do that with David Arnold. Not that the Bond producers are a bunch of *********, but only because everytime they are really committed to create the best Bond film ever.

Mod edit: language, dear friend, language.

• I think that Arnold's bad or, more often, forgettable scores outweigh his good (as do individual tracks) so I'd be happy to see someone else give it a try. However I don't wish bad on the man; I suspect that EON really hasn't made a decision yet. Whether that's due to concerns over Arnold's commitment to the Olympics or Mendes wanting someone he really likes (or a combination of both) I wouldn't want to guess.
  • SharkShark Banned
    doubleoego wrote:

Only if he'd return to his golden days of ENEMY OF THE STATE and SPY GAME.
  • I think that Arnold's bad or, more often, forgettable scores outweigh his good (as do individual tracks) so I'd be happy to see someone else give it a try. However I don't wish bad on the man; I suspect that EON really hasn't made a decision yet. Whether that's due to concerns over Arnold's commitment to the Olympics or Mendes wanting someone he really likes (or a combination of both) I wouldn't want to guess.

I actually forgot. David Arnold is very busy with the London Olympics.