Common misconceptions about Bond movies

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I blame Telly.
    I blame Pleasence.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    A bit childish to blame an actor for their appearance. :-?
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2014 Posts: 23,883
    DoggieGalore said:
    I think a common misconception is that From Russia With Love is the best Bond film and yet these same people for the most part probably couldn't sit through it.
    To this day, it is the purest & most adult spy movie to come out of the 23 movie official Bond franchise. Not so much action, but romantic & espionage based.... Almost realistic without descending into Harry Palmer or George Smiley seriousness. A very difficult balance to achieve.

That's what makes it the gold standard, along with Connery's benchmark performance, not to mention Pedro Armendáriz, Daniela Bianchi, Robert Shaw, Lotte Lenya & Vladek Sheybal.

I can definitely sit through it....time & time again.
    I friend of mine said that "The November Man" is a Bond film.
    b-(
    Murdock wrote: »

The thing is that it started with Donald Pleasence. Actually, I cannot blame him, not only because I respect him as an actor, but because he did a fairly good job. Blofeld was a far cry from the character from the earlier movies, but the conversations he had with Bond are maybe the best part of the movie.
    I liked Pleasence as Blofeld. He brought this quirky menace to the role. It's a shame he was so underused in the movie. If they had cut out the filler with the Ninja training and introduced him 30 minutes earlier, it might have made YOLT much better.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I was just kidding. :))
    Birdleson wrote: »
    In the books Blofeld is a chameleon, that is one of his defining traits. His physical appearance changes through all three novels (weight loss, plastic surgery, hair transplants), so much so that Bond is actually unsure that it is Blofeld when they meet face to face again in YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE. Bald, not bald, fat, skinny..it doesn't bother me. Although I want to see the cat for nostalgia's sake, even though that was a pure cinematic invention.

It does not really bother me either, but the attitude of this Blofeld, the way he is written, I found it unsatisfying. OHMSS's portrayal was an improvement (even though I prefer Pleasence to Savalas as an actor). And it is also in YOLT that the portrait of Blofeld became caricatured, including the bald head.

And now on, people think if there is a new Blofeld, it should be played by Bruce Willis, Patrick Stewart, Bryan Cranston (who is not bald, but who played a bald man in a famous TV series), or whoever.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    A Quantum of Ignorance
    cMGypXR.png
    On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Queen2.jpg
  • That men 'are the only ones who could like the James Bond franchise'.

When I was in high school other people used to tell me I only pretended to enjoy Bond in order to impress guys... even though I'm pretty sure I'm more fanatic about it then anyone I've ever known. Now I just don't tell people anymore and watch the films with my brothers/ :-bd
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    Hi Newbie here nice to be here. One that annoys me is that Bond just shoots everyone, when really he goes through torment taking a life, it's a last resort; a companionate killer. Half hitman half monk
    Hi Newbie here nice to be here. One that annoys me is that Bond just shoots everyone, when really he goes through torment taking a life, it's a last resort; a companionate killer. Half hitman half monk

The opposite misconception is also true: that Bond barely kills anyone and is taking life really easy.
    You'll be surprised. I've heard dozen of times that the villain is always looking for world domination or that there's a bad Bond girl in every movie. As for Blofeld being bald, even here I've seen people suggesting the casting of whoever played a bald guy before.
    edited July 2015 Posts: 3,157
    According to someone who commented this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ud16_ptL90Y, Grant Kirkhope (videogame composer who made the score of GoldenEye 64) was an MI6 secret agent and the name GoldenEye comes from a military operation he took part in.

Don't try to correct him or he'll call you a stupid autistic rather than admit his mistake.
    Walecs wrote: »
    According to someone who commented this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ud16_ptL90Y, Grant Kirkhope (videogame composer who made the score of GoldenEye 64) was an MI6 secret agent and the name GoldenEye comes from a military operation he took part in.

Don't try to correct him or he'll call you a stupid autistic rather than admit his mistake.

Not sure I want to watch this video. I think it will irritate me.
    It's just music from GoldenEye 64. :P
    It's just music from GoldenEye 64. :P

That might irritate me even more.
    Touche Ludovico, touche. :))
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    Walecs wrote: »

Come on, he's obviously trolling you.
    edited August 2015 Posts: 3,157
    According to some comments on SPECTRE trailer, all Bond movies are the same and are based on "Bond kills the villain, saves the world and catches the girl". Someone has not watched Craig films, it seems.
    And some even more irritating: "Craig movies suck because his Bond is too human therefore he's not 007". Tell that to Fleming, boy.
    Another one which irritates me from SPECTRE's trailer: "SPECTRE is a rip off of Hydra".
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    The same people probably think Zorro is a rip off of Batman.
    One I had for quite some time : I thought once that DN and FRWL were black and white movies. Why ? I don't know. Probably because the pics I saw of these movies were in black and white, or the extracts I might have seen on television were on a black and white TV screen. Apparently, younger me missed the mention "Technicolor" on the various materials I read.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Gerard wrote: »
    One I had for quite some time : I thought once that DN and FRWL were black and white movies. Why ? I don't know. Probably because the pics I saw of these movies were in black and white, or the extracts I might have seen on television were on a black and white TV screen. Apparently, younger me missed the mention "Technicolor" on the various materials I read.

Yes, I've heard someone say that to me years ago too (in 2000) - also that he thought OHMSS was the first Bond film. :)
    http://psychoblender.blogspot.it/2013/04/7-striking-similarities-between-skyfall.html

Skyfall introduces the idea that James Bond is also an orphan.

WTF?
    It really bothers me when people consider NSNA as part of the official series canon.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    edited August 2015 Posts: 5,080
    jackdagger wrote: »
    It really bothers me when people consider NSNA as part of the official series canon.

I agree on that. Obviously people can choose to as they wish, live and let live and all that, but at the end of the day, we must realise that NSNA is nothing more than a James Bond imitation. You won't find it in the Bond50 set, anyway.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    Most non Bond fans think OHMSS is called "The one where he gets married".
  • The big misconception that bothers me is that Bond films are action movies, when they're really not. Yes, they do have action, but the majority of them have a lot less action than the general public seems to think. Lethal Weapon these films are not.