The James Bond Questions Thread

Comments

• TokolosheTokoloshe Under your bed
    edited August 2015 Posts: 2,667
    Mrcoggins wrote: »
    ggl007 wrote: »
    A quick one: what's the meaning of the M.Y.?

disco_volante_tshirt.jpg

Marine Yacht??

Close it's Motor Yacht .

Just noticed that Timothy Havelock's logbook which Bond and Melina later examine also has M.Y. Triana written on the front.

• MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    In AVTAK Stacey meets Bond at Zorin's chateau yet when he turns up at her Mansion she doesnt recognise him...?
    Mallory wrote: »
    In AVTAK Stacey meets Bond at Zorin's chateau yet when he turns up at her Mansion she doesnt recognise him...?

She gives him the cold shoulder at the mansion and probably found him forgettable. It's a bit of a stretch, I know.
    When Q demonstrates the DB5's map feature in Goldfinger, Bond says that it will allow "our man to stop off for a quick one en route".

Is it meant to be obvious what a quick one is? A drink? A pee? A booty call?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Tokoloshe wrote: »

She gives him the cold shoulder at the mansion and probably found him forgettable. It's a bit of a stretch, I know.

Sounds plausible enough. She was obviously preoccupied with other things and probably saw him as yet another man trying to hit on her.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    edited August 2015 Posts: 45,489
    He wore sunglasses. You can t beat glasses as a disguise. Simple and effective. Take note, MI.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    When Q demonstrates the DB5's map feature in Goldfinger, Bond says that it will allow "our man to stop off for a quick one en route".

I always thought it was a pee.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    He wore sunglasses. You can t beat glasses as a disguise. Simple and effective. Take note, MI.

That's true! A few months ago I stopped wearing glasses, and several people did not recognize me.

Aha, I saw it in a theatre, but 22 years later. Wouldn t know.

So I Googled it, and apparently since the John Barry end credits music queue was cut and replaced with the Bond theme, it didn't match up with the music. The James Bond theme was shorter, which would leave the last seconds of the movie in silence. So, in order to sync the end of the film with the end of the music, the "wipe" was made prior to release.

If I remember in the French dubbing it is explicit that he talks about having a drink.
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC

I think its been established that she wasn't the brightest of girls.
    Sark wrote: »

I think its been established that she wasn't the brightest of girls.

"You betcha!"
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator

It's never established that she doesn't recognise him. When she discovers Bond in her bedroom she refers to him as another Zorin stooge, most likely because of their encounter at the Châteaux. After Bond has dispatched Zorins 'baboons' he tells her he used a friends name to get entry to the Châteaux. If she didn't recognise him, he wouldn't have to explain this detail to her.

The line is, "allow a man to stop off for a quick one en-route."
    To stop off for a quick one means to stop of for a quick drink.

• echoecho 007 in New York
    When did OHMSS' reputation begin to change for the better?
    Fairly recently I think.
    Does anyone else here find the audio track to DAD very unbalanced? Dialogue seems very quiet and then sound effects come along and render me deaf. There's a great deal of use of the volume buttons on the remote. Or am I an anomaly?
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Does anyone else here find the audio track to DAD very unbalanced? Dialogue seems very quiet and then sound effects come along and render me deaf. There's a great deal of use of the volume buttons on the remote. Or am I an anomaly?
    Actually, this is the only problem I have with all the Bluray releases. I find myself constantly changing the volume due to the dialogue being much too low and the action being much too loud.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico

Yesterday i decided to re watch The world is not enough and something stayed this time with me.

And that was the talk elektra had with Renard after she thought Bond was death and he asked her if she felt for James?
    And she replied that she did feel something, didn't fall but enjoyed her night with him and latter she tells Bond i could have given you the world.

That makes me think she did have feelings for him, not enough to stop her plot but there was something bteween them even though non of them accepted once she was revealed as the main villain

So would you agree Elektra had feelings for James as well?
    Maybe if she wouldn't have develped her feelings of revenge she would have fallen for James.

Also the wonderful Chemistry Pierce had with Sophie makes me think that there was something special between James and Elektra.
    I agree Szonana and I watched TWINE yesterday too
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    edited August 2015 Posts: 1,130
    @birdleson and @fjnardo
    Thanks for answering i thought i was thinking too much but im glad im not the only one who thinks she did felt something for Bond

And fjnardo what a nice coincidence we watched that film both of us yesterday.
    Anyway i still stay its my second favorite Bond film and my second favoritite with Pierce as Bond tonight im gonna re watch Goldeneye.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    Sark wrote: »
    Which Bond is the luckiest? By that I mean he's saved by deus ex machina rather than by his skills or an ally. Things like Bond in Dr No not getting shot outside his hotel. They had a shot lined up and Bond was completely unaware. He was just saved by car passing by.

Definitely Roger Moore. He's always at the right place at the right time.

Pierce was very lucky in the world is not enough, he was just about to die strangled by elektra if it wasn't for Valentine who came just in time to shoot and save him

• SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    Craig was about to have his bullocks cut off and fed to him before Mr White intervened. That's pretty damned lucky.
    Szonana wrote: »
    @birdleson and @fjnardo
    Thanks for answering i thought i was thinking too much but im glad im not the only one who thinks she did felt something for Bond

And fjnardo what a nice coincidence we watched that film both of us yesterday.
    Anyway i still stay its my second favorite Bond film and my second favoritite with Pierce as Bond tonight im gonna re watch Goldeneye.

TWINE happens to be my favorite Bond film of all time
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    TWINE happens to be my favorite Bond film of all time

great pick.
    Who here would love a James Bond book full of recreated props from the movies, much like Back to the Future has done here?

http://www.amazon.com/Back-Future-Ultimate-Visual-History/dp/0062419145

Removable items include:

Hill Valley High School Tardy Slip
    Back to the Future The Ride security pass
    Save the Clocktower leaflet
    Sepia photograph of Marty and Doc from Part III
    Marty’s note to Doc from the first film with the envelope
    George McFly’s book
    Jaws 19 movie poster
    George and Lorraine’s prom photo
    Doc’s flux capacitor sketch from the first film
    Doc’s note to Marty from 1885
    Biff one dollar bill from Part II
    Blast from the Past receipt from Part II
    Lenticular version of the iconic McFly family photo from the first film
    Going to have to buy that! BTTF is my No1 film of them all
    edited August 2015 Posts: 40,453
    In SF, Bond scolds M for telling Eve to take the shot. She says:

"It was the possibility of losing you or the certainty of losing all those other agents."

Now, the first part obviously means that she risked losing him so Eve could take the chance of putting Patrice down, but she then essentially states that if Eve didn't take the shot, Bond would've absolutely lost the fight against Patrice. How does this logic make sense whatsoever? Is there something I'm missing? Because, to me, I don't get it. Plus, the latter part of her statement doesn't work, either, for if Eve did miss the shot (which she did), she would've also certainly lost all the other agents.

Also, when Bond begins his training to see if he is fit for duty, Tanner is giving him updates on what's been happening and he assumes that it's someone from her past, perhaps when she was running things in Hong Kong - which ends up being correct. I can understand they assume it's someone from the past, hence the 'THINK ON YOUR SINS' message, but what makes them surmise it's from her time in Hong Kong?
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    In SF, Bond scolds M for telling Eve to take the shot. She says:

"It was the possibility of losing you or the certainty of losing all those other agents."

Now, the first part obviously means that she risked losing him so Eve could take the chance of putting Patrice down, but she then essentially states that if Eve didn't take the shot, Bond would've absolutely lost the fight against Patrice. How does this logic make sense whatsoever? Is there something I'm missing? Because, to me, I don't get it. Plus, the latter part of her statement doesn't work, either, for if Eve did miss the shot (which she did), she would've also certainly lost all the other agents.

It is simply bad writing as it is the case at so many points in Skyfall.
    A lot didn't make any sense that was said or done in SF, one of the main reasons I have Skyfall only at No 13 in my Bond ranking.
    @BondJasonBond006, I edited my first comment with another question, any idea on that one, either? Your guess (or anyone's) is as good as mine.
  • SuperheroSithSuperheroSith SE London
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    In SF, when Bond begins his training to see if he is fit for duty, Tanner is giving him updates on what's been happening and he assumes that it's someone from her past, perhaps when she was running things in Hong Kong - which ends up being correct. I can understand they assume it's someone from the past, hence the 'THINK ON YOUR SINS' message, but what makes them surmise it's from her time in Hong Kong?

There is a line in the move also about M having suspicions on Silva in the scene before
    she interrogates him.