The James Bond Questions Thread

Comments

When in the former continuity and in relation with the previous movies does the PTS of GE happens? It has to be after DN because Bond uses a Walther PPK.

In a very similar vein, in the briefing scene in TB, is 006 Trevelyan, his predecessor or his successor?
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    I think asking questions like that is sort of beside the point. One might as well as well ask how the same man has been fighting evil with a martini in hand for 50 years and yet looks like he was born after the first movie was filmed. Or why his appearance has gone from 6'2" brown hair and balding to 5'11" blond hair and blue eyes. Or whether general Gogol defected from SPECTRE to the USSR. Or why Jack Whitaker not only miraculously survived, but when on to have a successful career with the CIA. Or why Felix Leiter has apparently gotten reverse vitiligo on multiple occasions.
    I didn't say I thought there was a straight answer.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Ludovico wrote: »

As others have pointed out, and I did enjoy @Birdleson response in the other thread, the answer is whatever you want it to be.
    Continuity in the Bond films has always been very hit and miss. It certainly shouldn't take up too much of your time, trying to fill in the blanks.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    I'm throwing this into the round. I'm still new on this site and I was looking for a thread where you can tell the others how you rank the Bond movies but couldn't find one.

If there is one, can someone tell me where to find it? Thanks a lot.
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    A quick one: what's the meaning of the M.Y.?

disco_volante_tshirt.jpg

Marine Yacht??
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    ggl007 wrote: »
    A quick one: what's the meaning of the M.Y.?

disco_volante_tshirt.jpg

Marine Yacht??

Close it's Motor Yacht .
    I watched Thunderball recently and there is a bit in the scene where Bond receives his personal mission from M and then Bond is talking to Moneypenny about Domino and she says you may be able to pull the wool over and con the old man but I know better, and M comes in and hears her and says so do I Moneypenny and I'd prefer it if you didn't refer to me as the old man.

Bond then says I thought I had a hat when I come in. I understand he says it to break the ice and have a joke but where has his hat gone? did I miss something and am I not really getting it?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @Sharky, I wondered the same thing, so I assumed he just made up a lie to break the ice, and then swiftly left soon after.
  • edited August 2015 Posts: 14,800
    Benny wrote: »
    Ludovico wrote: »

As others have pointed out, and I did enjoy @Birdleson response in the other thread, the answer is whatever you want it to be.
    Continuity in the Bond films has always been very hit and miss. It certainly shouldn't take up too much of your time, trying to fill in the blanks.

Of course, but it was just a purely speculative question. Just like why does Blofeld love his cat so much or where did he get his scar? (The last question might be answered for the new continuity in SP, according to the pictures of Waltz shooting in London).
  • edited August 2015 Posts: 5,774
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Here' something that occurred to me watching QOS the other day. Aside from Mathis, Tilly Masterson and Sir Miles Messervy, have any other characters died in the movies that never did so in Fleming's original works? Of course, I'm only assuming that the cinematic Miles died as his portrait was hanging at MI6 headquarters in TWINE.

I hate to break it to you, but Tilly died in the novel (although a bit later than in the movie, but in the same way). But you can add Shady Tree to the list. He's the only named member of the Spangled Mob that didn't die in the novel.
  • TokolosheTokoloshe Under your bed
    There is no basis for saying that Messervy died. He is "on leave" and then replaced. That is all.
    @Creasy47, yeah I'm not sure if I am missing something because he does have a hat when he comes in and it is not there when he says the line so had Bond moved it and then used that joke to break the ice? To be honest I don't really get it and I always look to se if I notice anything else in that scene whenever I watch TB.
    edited August 2015 Posts: 40,372
    EDIT: Did a quick Google search and came across this. Very interesting!

"In the scene at Moneypenny's office, Bond's hat disappears."

"It does, but there's a meeting Bond attends in the meantime. He even addresses the fact that his hat disappears, moving towards the hat rack saying "I had a hat when I came in", then looking confused when it's not there. This is the culmination of a running gag concerning Bond's hat that was developed through all four of the first Bond movies: In Dr. No, he tosses the hat onto the rack as if he was playing a game of horseshoes. In From Russia With Love, he does the same thing-and then sees M is in the office with Moneypenny and is Not Amused. In Goldfinger, it's Moneypenny who tosses the hat, while trying to convince Bond to go out with her that evening. Finally, in Thunderball, James starts to toss the hat, then thinks better of it and just puts it on the rack-and then it's gone when he comes back. What's more, with just one or two possible exceptions, this marks the last time Bond wears a hat as a fashion statement in the entire Bond series. Effectively, the producers recognized that they couldn't keep figuring out new things to do with the hat, and intentionally took it out of the picture - literally, so they didn't have to keep trying."
  • TokolosheTokoloshe Under your bed
    Haha, love it. So what other potential hat gags can we come up with?
    @Creasy47 that is an interesting read, thanks for the info.

@Birdleson I love that moment when Bond tosses the hat to Moneypenny, it would have been brilliant if Connery could've done that, taking nothing away from George because I like Lazenby and I think he done a wonderful job but I always think what would OHMSS be like if it was filmed after Goldfinger with Connery as intended, it probably would've been Terrance Young directing and Peter Hunt editing and might've ended up completely different and inferior but it could've been great too, we'll never know.
    Out of all of the amazing Bond allies and girls that could've been brought back for another film, who thought "You know what? Let's bring back J.W. Pepper for TMWTGG. That guy was a classic that everyone loved."
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    Which Bond is the luckiest? By that I mean he's saved by deus ex machina rather than by his skills or an ally. Things like Bond in Dr No not getting shot outside his hotel. They had a shot lined up and Bond was completely unaware. He was just saved by car passing by.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited August 2015 Posts: 5,921
    Someone please explain to me the meeting between General Orlov and Kamal Kahn in Octopussy. What was that about. Was Orlov supposed to give Kamal the real jewelry in exchange for war? And why did Orlov think that the real Fabergé egg that Q had bugged was a fake?

Orlov had the genuine jewellery, stolen from the Russians with forgeries in their place. Using Kamal's partnership with Octopussy and her circus, Kamal will substitute the jewellery cache inside the circus canon for an Atomic bomb supplied by Orlov.
    The resulting explosion will in theory open up the West for Orlov to invade.
    During the post credits scene we see OO9 escape with the fake Faberge egg. Which ends up in London in M's hands. OO9 had been working on operation trove. The operation that M gives to Bond following the death of OO9. Orlov orders Kamal to buy the egg at auction, but during the Sotheby's auction Bond swaps the fake egg for the real egg. Q puts the bug in the real egg, then Kamal steals the real egg from Bond as the egg he bought at Sotheby's is the fake.
    Orlov does not know the egg Kamal has is fake, he thinks Kamal bought the real egg, and that Bond had the fake egg, so when he smashes it, thinking it is the fake that Bond had as an accomplice of the circus thief, it is actually the real egg with the bug inside.
    It's a brilliant piece of work on the part of the writers. Some find it hard to follow, and granted it is slightly complicated. But the auction where Bond purposely bumps the price up, causing Kamal to pay way over the value for the egg is great. Followed shortly after using the same egg as collateral during the back gammon game. It tells Kamal that Bond is not only on to him. But that Bond switched the eggs at the auction. When Kamal finds the bug in the smashed egg he knows that he's smashed a half million dollar egg.
    Hope that clears it up.
    Always happy to help with Octopussy themed questions. One of the underrated gems of the Bond series.

Well done. OP was the first Bond I saw in the theater. It's the perfect one for a 13-year-old.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    echo wrote: »
    Someone please explain to me the meeting between General Orlov and Kamal Kahn in Octopussy. What was that about. Was Orlov supposed to give Kamal the real jewelry in exchange for war? And why did Orlov think that the real Fabergé egg that Q had bugged was a fake?

Orlov had the genuine jewellery, stolen from the Russians with forgeries in their place. Using Kamal's partnership with Octopussy and her circus, Kamal will substitute the jewellery cache inside the circus canon for an Atomic bomb supplied by Orlov.
    The resulting explosion will in theory open up the West for Orlov to invade.
    During the post credits scene we see OO9 escape with the fake Faberge egg. Which ends up in London in M's hands. OO9 had been working on operation trove. The operation that M gives to Bond following the death of OO9. Orlov orders Kamal to buy the egg at auction, but during the Sotheby's auction Bond swaps the fake egg for the real egg. Q puts the bug in the real egg, then Kamal steals the real egg from Bond as the egg he bought at Sotheby's is the fake.
    Orlov does not know the egg Kamal has is fake, he thinks Kamal bought the real egg, and that Bond had the fake egg, so when he smashes it, thinking it is the fake that Bond had as an accomplice of the circus thief, it is actually the real egg with the bug inside.
    It's a brilliant piece of work on the part of the writers. Some find it hard to follow, and granted it is slightly complicated. But the auction where Bond purposely bumps the price up, causing Kamal to pay way over the value for the egg is great. Followed shortly after using the same egg as collateral during the back gammon game. It tells Kamal that Bond is not only on to him. But that Bond switched the eggs at the auction. When Kamal finds the bug in the smashed egg he knows that he's smashed a half million dollar egg.
    Hope that clears it up.
    Always happy to help with Octopussy themed questions. One of the underrated gems of the Bond series.

Well done. OP was the first Bond I saw in the theater. It's the perfect one for a 13-year-old.

Holy crap! That post was ages ago.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    Sark wrote: »
    Which Bond is the luckiest? By that I mean he's saved by deus ex machina rather than by his skills or an ally. Things like Bond in Dr No not getting shot outside his hotel. They had a shot lined up and Bond was completely unaware. He was just saved by car passing by.

Definitely Roger Moore. He's always at the right place at the right time.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I wouldn t call Craig lucky. He had tons of bad luck in both CR and SF.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    edited August 2015 Posts: 9,020
    I say Craig is the luckiest.

He survives being shot falling to his certain death, drowning.
    He gets his nuts crashed and minutes later can shag his lady as nothing had happened.
    He has the most ridiculous imbeciles as villains.
    He fails repeatedly as an 00 agent and keeps his job.
    He can go rogue, he can just vanish, he walks back into the office and doesn't get sacked or court martial.
    Come to think about all the extreme leaps in believability in this so called grittier more realistic Bond era, Craig seems more OTT than any other Bond!! =))

I believe the unluckiest Bond is the iteration that lost Tracy - back in 1969 she was unbelievably beautiful. I'd go so far as to say, perfect! Losing her on the beginning of the honeymoon is going to top any bad luck list. (I don't feel Bond's connection with Vesper was actually in the same league.
    edited August 2015 Posts: 40,372
    Is the exterior shot of Moscow in TSWLM the exact same one they use in FYEO? I think I pointed that out the last time I did a Bondathon, but I'm not sure if we ever confirmed or discussed it.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Is the exterior shot of Moscow in TSWLM the exact same one they use in FYEO? I think I pointed that out the last time I did a Bondathon, but I'm not sure if we ever confirmed or discussed it.

Pretty sure it is.
    Anybody know why Thunderball ends so quickly? Was the theatrical release like that?
    You mean the sped up finale on the boat? It was sooo slow before in the underwater scenes, the editor just wanted to get it over with and go home. On the average, the pacing is perfect.
    You mean the sped up finale on the boat? It was sooo slow before in the underwater scenes, the editor just wanted to get it over with and go home. On the average, the pacing is perfect.

No, as Bond and Domino are being rescued by the boat, the credits go through and then it fades to black very fast.
    edited August 2015 Posts: 45,489
    Aha, I saw it in a theatre, but 22 years later. Wouldn t know.