Who do YOU give 11/10? (final appreciation)

Comments

Timothy Dalton gives a fantastic performance in this fantastic film. Runner up to MIcheal G Wilson for finishing the script in the wake of the writers strike
    How can all of you forget Benicio Del Toro? He was a wonderful henchmen and was mesmerizing in the little scenes he was in.
    Agreed, Dalton, Davi, and Del Toro are all standouts. In fact, Del Toro might be the most memorable character from the film.

• KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    Can I do a four way tie?

I'll give my nod to Robert Davi. Dalton, Desmond and Del Toro are all worthy of recognition though.
  • Monsieur_AubergineMonsieur_Aubergine Top of the Eiffel Tower with a fly in my soup!
    Timmy D again for this. If only J Barry could have backed up the dark, moody atmosphere and pounding chase at the end. It's in my top 5 and I have to say Glen does well competing with Donner, Burton and Spielberg that summer...bless him. :-)
  • edited November 2011 Posts: 107
    The Living Daylights • Timothy Dalton
    Licence to Kill • Michael G. Wilson
  • edited November 2011 Posts: 2,782
    LTK - Timothy Dalton, Robert Davi, Carey Lowell (most underrated and beautiful of all Bond girls - corrrrrrr - I'd give her one.......no 15 out of 10).

And the Del boy - he should have had a bigger part.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    I don't think any Bond actor has been deserving of this award yet but for me, in Licence To Kill, I have to pick Timothy Dalton.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited November 2011 Posts: 4,399
    Richard Maibum & Michael G. Wilson

they did something drastic with Bond - and that was have him go rouge... and where other Bond films teased you with a rouge 007, like in DAD (which he was only on his own for about 1/3 of the film) - this one was legit, license revoked, and wanted man by his own government - this was a man out for revenge for the brutal attack on his friend Felix, and the murder of Felix's wife..... you could make the excuse that this fell into the trap of every stereotypical revenge cliche' - but it's still Bond!.. heck, even Q goes far out of his way to help out Bond..

once again, I love all the performances, but a special nod to Wayne Newton as the hilarious Professor Joe Butcher - I was ROLFing at very first sight of him, not to mention his scene at the end "..I had the walls sound proofed, so nothing can disturb our meditation.".. what a sleazy fun character that the writers came up with.

This was a Bond film released unlike any other Bond film previously - not only was it the first PG-13 Bond, but the Cold War was over, the Berlin Wall had fallen - there was no more distinct threat for Bond to face anymore - no Soviet threat of global take over to fall back on.. who was going to be left for Bond to face?... I think it took a lot of guts on the writer's part to go in the direction they did with LTK - they certainly tried to push the envelope, and while at the time, this film certainly didn't have mass appeal - it's one that has found it's place, and has grown in popularity over time.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Yep, Maibaum and Wilson. It's not my favorite Bond film but I like how they used a lot of Fleming and yet made the film feel contemporary.

Dalton has a few moments that are too actor-y for me in this film.
  • It's a relief that someone actually took the time to include Llewelyn, as Q has a much more expanded role here than usual, supplies Bond with some handy apparatus although in the end it was something Leiter provided that ultimately saved his life. Big shout here to Desmond L as Q in perhaps his most memorable performance, pleased they allowed him more screen time for this 1989 release

Sanchez doesn't really warrant an 11, I'd personally award Davi an 8 or 9 for his character, but I'm going to include him nonetheless, he did radiate menace at times on the screen, and was a big presence

Benicio Del Toro has to go in here, we didn't see much of him, but what a scary young man he was when often we saw him, no wonder he turned into such a fine actor after this early appearance

I'm going to include Gladys Knight, not the best tune of them all, but a very noteworthy effort

Timothy Dalton, while not as strong as Daylights, was immense at times, you could really feel his anger, intensity and frustrations at times as events unfolded. Only two movies for Tim but what a lasting impression the man supplied
  • edited November 2011 Posts: 172
    The Living Daylights is one of my favorite Bond films, so it's really hard for me to pick one over another.. even Joe Don Baker, who isn't known for his acting prowess, turned a pretty good effort in the role of Whitaker - and finally we get a henchman in Necros that isn't completely useless, and is actually quite threatening and intimidating (too bad he tapped out so quickly to John McClain a couple years later lol)... John Barry's score to to this film is by far my favorite of all of his efforts... John Glen did a pretty good job directing as well...

but, for me, I think Dalton deserves the 11/10... he brings an edge to Bond that not even Connery did - a more aggressive, ruthless edge.. he was stern, calculating - but could also turn on the charm with the ladies when need be.
    Your post sums it up for me aswell.

Joe Don Baker as said many many times before gets tons of flack but I enjoy his role but still would have wished for a better script. His villain role in Charly Varrick is one of his best.

People have said a different actor would have been an idea but then again the scenes would be the same as JDB's or not?

John Barry has to get a big hug for his last fab score and also the locations are stunning in this pic even the Afghan scenes.

Also for LTK I really do think Anthony Zerbe should get a mention as Krest. Often overlooked Zerbe has been a brilliant actor over the years and despite his awfull death scene he chould have been given a more chunky role.

Glad he was in the film but hated the way he had to be offed. Thats just me.

• HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    The Living Daylights is one of my favorite Bond films, so it's really hard for me to pick one over another.. even Joe Don Baker, who isn't known for his acting prowess, turned a pretty good effort in the role of Whitaker - and finally we get a henchman in Necros that isn't completely useless, and is actually quite threatening and intimidating (too bad he tapped out so quickly to John McClain a couple years later lol)... John Barry's score to to this film is by far my favorite of all of his efforts... John Glen did a pretty good job directing as well...

but, for me, I think Dalton deserves the 11/10... he brings an edge to Bond that not even Connery did - a more aggressive, ruthless edge.. he was stern, calculating - but could also turn on the charm with the ladies when need be.
    Your post sums it up for me aswell.

Joe Don Baker as said many many times before gets tons of flack but I enjoy his role but still would have wished for a better script. His villain role in Charly Varrick is one of his best.

People have said a different actor would have been an idea but then again the scenes would be the same as JDB's or not?

John Barry has to get a big hug for his last fab score and also the locations are stunning in this pic even the Afghan scenes.

Also for LTK I really do think Anthony Zerbe should get a mention as Krest. Often overlooked Zerbe has been a brilliant actor over the years and despite his awfull death scene he chould have been given a more chunky role.

Glad he was in the film but hated the way he had to be offed. Thats just me.

you know, I always forget about Anthony Zerbe in LTK.... i always chuckle as he walks into Lupe's cabin with the look on his face and the western music playing - gets me every time :-))
  • Timothy Dalton, because he was perfect, as usual.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    FILM 17 GoldenEye
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I can't deny that as a Bond fan, I love Martin Campbell's work on this film. I'd adored the man for his work on GE for many years and CR only confirmed my suspicion that the man knows how to make a darn good Bond flick.

1. Terence Young
    2. Sean Connery
    3. John Barry
    4. Peter Hunt
    5. Ken Adam
    6. John Barry
    7. John Barry
    8. Jane Seymour
    9. Christopher Lee
    10. Ken Adam
    11. John Barry
    12. Maurice Binder
    13. Martin Grace
    14. John Barry
    15. John Barry
    16. Timothy Dalton
    17. Martin Campbell
  • Campbell can indeed put together a damn good Bond movie

I also include the pre credits sequence if I may, this was something else when I first saw it on original release, although in retrospect the plane dive bit does seem a bit far fetched now :-<

I'm going to include Brosnan in this, his second best of the four, there were at times he seemed ideal in the role here and really was impressive

Not sure what else from this 1995 release warrants such a high recognition to be honest
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited November 2011 Posts: 15,690
    DN : Sean Connery
    FRWL : Sean Connery
    GF : Desmond Llewelyn
    TB : Sean Connery
    YOLT : Ken Adam
    OHMSS : John Barry
    DAF : John Barry
    LALD : Paul McCartney
    TMWTGG : Roger Moore (close : Clifton James, John Barry, Guy Hamilton)
    TSWLM : Lewis Gilbert
    MR : Roger Moore
    FYEO : Topol
    OP : Roger Moore
    AVTAK : John Barry
    TLD : Timothy Dalton
    LTK : Robert Brown
    GE : Martin Cambell (honorable mentions : Dench, Karyo, Gottfried John, Cummings, Llewelyn, Bean... in other words the entire cast except pathetic Brosnan)
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    DN: Terence Young
    FRWL: Robert Shaw
    GF: Sean Connery
    TB: Luciana Paluzzi
    YOLT: Ken Adam(honorable mention to Freddie Young)
    OHMSS: John Barry
    DAF: Jill St. John
    LALD: Jane Seymour
    TMWTGG: Christopher Lee
    TSWLM: Caroline Munro
    MR: Sir Roger Moore
    FYEO: Topol
    OP: Steven Berkoff
    AVTAK: John Barry
    TLD: Timothy Dalton
    LTK: Robert Davi
    GE: Sean Bean

Bean easily steals the show from Brosnan. Another reason I wish his 006 was battling Dalton's 007 instead as GE's script originally intended.
  • 11/10 for the actor who plays the pilot of Alec Trevelyan's helicopter, who is probably the worst actor of all time. Next time you watch Goldeneye, pay attention when Natalya Simonova presses her gun to his head because you gonna see the worst moment of acting of the James Bond films. :)
  • Monsieur_AubergineMonsieur_Aubergine Top of the Eiffel Tower with a fly in my soup!
    edited November 2011 Posts: 642
    Martin Campbell for being so adept at making what was wrong with Bond better. Love the Special feature on the ultimate edition. The Martin Campbell Chronicles. Brilliant!
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Martin Campbell in a walk.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    Martin Campbell did not disappoint us in a six year absence of Bond films.
    Sean Bean. Easily for me. Trevelyn was the first villain since Red Grant that I thought posed a serious threat to Bond. He was amazingly believable as a traitorous villain. Jaws, Hans, or Necros were brawnier but Bond could always outsmart them. Martin Campbell doesn't make that much of a splash for me though, sorry. I felt like it was a pretty good script with great actors. Overall the film looks a little grey and dated to me now.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    I was gonna put Xenia er, onatopp of my list, ( :p ) but I'll go with Martin Campbell for bringing Bond back with a blast. An honorable mention goes to Sean Bean- he's awesome in every film. (Factoid: did you know Bean was once considered for the role of James Bond?) :-?
  • So many people for GE. I'll count them off...

Michael/Barbs for pulling Bond back on.
    Brosnan for an amazing impression of Bond
    Bruce Feirstein, Michael France, and other scriptwriters for an amazing story.
    Daniel Kleinman for an incredible title sequence
    Famke Janssen and Isabella Scorupco for giving me first "urges" :X
    Sean Bean for an incredible villain.

But above all else,

Martin Campbell for bringing all of this together for my favorite Bond film.

DN - Maurice Binder
    FRWL - Daniela BIanchi
    GF - Richard Malibum
    TB - Luciana Paluzzi
    YOLT - Ken Adam
    OHMSS - John Barry/George Lazenby
    DAF - None
    LALD - George Martin
    TMWTGG - Christopher Lee
    TSWLM - Albert R. Broccoli
    MR - Shirley Bassey
    FYEO - Roger Moore
    OP - Rita Coolidge/John Barry
    AVTAK - Christopher Walken
    TLD - Richard Maibaum/Michael G. Wilson
    LTK - Benicio Del Toro
    GE - Martin Campbell (Along with almost everyone else)
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited November 2011 Posts: 13,350
    Michael France for giving a great stepping point for the screenplay.
    1. Terence Young - Dr. No
    2. Pedro Armendariz - From Russia With Love
    3. Gert Frobe - Goldfinger
    4. Sean Connery - Thunderball
    5. Ken Adam - You Only Live Twice
    6. Peter Hunt - On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    7. Shirley Bassey - Diamonds Are Forever
    8. Yaphet Kotto - Live And Let Die
    9. Christopher Lee - The Man With The Golden Gun
    10. Roger Moore - The Spy Who Loved Me
    11. Michael Lonsdale - Moonraker
    12. Bill Conti - For Your Eyes Only
    13. John Barry - Octopussy
    14. Christopher Walken - A View To A Kill
    15. Timothy Dalton - The Living Daylights
    16. Richard Maibaum & Michael G. Wilson - Licence To Kill
    17. Martin Campbell - Goldeneye

Martin Campbell - in Hollywood world, a very average director... but in the world of James Bond, is he a demigod?... lol.. no, not quite, but he is a man who understands how the franchise and the character works... Martin Campbell turned out to be the right man, to lead a new Bond out of a 6 year abyss, that many thought had killed off the unkillable super secret agent.. more than Pierce Brosnan, who more or less was acting with material written for Dalton, it was Campbell who helped reinvigorate the franchise, with his smart directing, and spectacular action sequences.
    Martin Campbell 100%. He knows Bond, that's for sure
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

Need I say more??
    ^yes. Please do and back it up with more photos. More i say!! :-)