Who do YOU give 11/10? (final appreciation)

Comments

• Monsieur_AubergineMonsieur_Aubergine Top of the Eiffel Tower with a fly in my soup!
    Bernard Lee - purely in honour of his wonderful contribution to the series.
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    Ken Adam's work on MR is spectcular and fantastic. Derek Meddings' SFX work is superb too. And, of course, Sir Rog's Bond performance picked up perfectly where it left off at the end of Spy.

Oh, and the casting peeps clearly did an outstanding job on ensuring the best quality and quantity of totty since TB. ;)

All of 'em deserve the full 11, for me...
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    Ken Adam's work on MR is spectcular and fantastic. Derek Meddings' SFX work is superb too. And, of course, Sir Rog's Bond performance picked up perfectly where it left off at the end of Spy.

Oh, and the casting peeps clearly did an outstanding job on ensuring the best quality and quantity of totty since TB. ;)

I like the way you think, St_George! :)
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!

I like the way you think, St_George! :)
    Alas, none of that MR totty has expressed the same opinion... ;)
  • Who I give 11/10 in Moonraker ? Nobody. Except for Corinne Cléry perhaps.
    Who I give 11/10 in Moonraker ? Nobody. Except for Corinne Cléry perhaps.
    Unless '11/10' is some sort of modern euphemism, that's not what I'd give Corinne Clery... :p
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    I'd give her more than 11 also.

=P~

I have no shame.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited November 2011 Posts: 23,552
    FILM 12 For Your Eyes Only
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    No disrespect to Roger Moore, who is great in this film, but there must be someone better that made even more of an impact. I can't think of anyone though, so for now Roger Moore.
    edited November 2011 Posts: 23,552
    This is again a tough call for me but I will select Maurice Binder for FYEO. I'm very fond of those OT of his.

1. Terence Young
    2. Sean Connery
    3. John Barry
    4. Peter Hunt
    5. Ken Adam
    6. John Barry
    7. John Barry
    8. Jane Seymour
    9. Christopher Lee
    10. Ken Adam
    11. John Barry
    12. Maurice Binder
    Moore did great in this film no doubt, but I gotta give it to Topol. One of my favorite characters of the Moore era
  • Monsieur_AubergineMonsieur_Aubergine Top of the Eiffel Tower with a fly in my soup!
    That Parrot! ...only joking, Roger all the way. His best performance, taught, playing his age to great effect and just a wonderful presence in this film.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited November 2011 Posts: 4,399
    This is one of Moore's better films IMO, only behind TSWLM and LALD on my own personal ranking... but it's a film, that nothing really stands out - everything is sort of on the same level.. no performance outshines another.. even the directing (John Glen's first) is average...

if I had to give this score to anyone... I guess I would give it to Bill Conti.... some dislike his score, calling it too "Rocky" or "Disco" - and thats fine.. personally I really like it, especially the music during the gun barrel, and a lot of chase sequences... it was an interesting change of pace, dare I say refreshing? - not to mention he has a hand in creating the beautiful title song, sung by Sheena Easton...

1. Terence Young - Dr. No
    2. Pedro Armendariz - From Russia With Love
    3. Gert Frobe - Goldfinger
    4. Sean Connery - Thunderball
    5. Ken Adam - You Only Live Twice
    6. Peter Hunt - On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    7. Shirley Bassey - Diamonds Are Forever
    8. Yaphet Kotto - Live And Let Die
    9. Christopher Lee - The Man With The Golden Gun
    10. Roger Moore - The Spy Who Loved Me
    11. Michael Lonsdale - Moonraker
    12. Bill Conti - For Your Eyes Only
  • Roger Moore was amazing. Perfect balance between sophisticated, suave and professional. His scenes at the end were excellent.

DN - Maurice Binder
    FRWL - Daniela BIanchi
    GF - Richard Malibum
    TB - Luciana Paluzzi
    YOLT - Ken Adam
    OHMSS - John Barry/George Lazenby
    DAF - None
    LALD - George Martin
    TMWTGG - Christopher Lee
    TSWLM - Albert R. Broccoli
    MR - Shirley Bassey
    FYEO - Roger Moore
    The locations. Greece looks nice, Northern Italy looks nice, St. Cyryl is impressive.

Everyone else puts in an average effort as far as I'm concerned.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    edited November 2011 Posts: 3,262
    DN: Terence Young
    FRWL: Robert Shaw
    GF: Sean Connery
    TB: Luciana Paluzzi
    YOLT: Ken Adam(honorable mention to Freddie Young)
    OHMSS: John Barry
    DAF: Jill St. John
    LALD: Jane Seymour
    TMWTGG: Christopher Lee
    TSWLM: Caroline Munro
    MR: Sir Roger Moore
    FYEO: Topol

"If I were a rich man...."

Who would give 11/10 for FYEO?

Topol. Because he's Topol.

Met and interviewed Topol's gas installer once. He was a wild-haired German named Gerhard Jax. And while the interview/ gas installation took place, we watched London win the Olympics on the home owner's telly. True story...
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    Topol. The best ally Roger Moore had.
  • edited November 2011 Posts: 107
    Up to this point, all of the most major shifts in tone over the course of the franchise had been accompanied by a change in the lead actor. Though it was never stated outright, the use of a new actor as a "soft reset" felt like a foregone conclusion. (For Your Eyes Only's pre-title sequence had two purposes, originally: to prove that the official franchise no longer needed Blofeld and to introduce a new Bond.) When it became clear that Moore (whose contract was up) would be sticking around, conventional wisdom called for a preservation of the previous film's tone, even if the scale couldn't be replicated.

It may seem obvious in hindsight, but I think Albert R. Broccoli opened a door when For Your Eyes Only detached the series' tone from the lead actor's established reputation. That door hasn't been walked through since (in fact, it's a door the current producers may have shut depending on what sort of film Skyfall turns out to be), but in the long run I think the precedent set by For Your Eyes Only will prove to be valuable in staving off homogeny as the series continues.

For Your Eyes Only • Albert R. Broccoli
    Topol
    Topol was indeed great in the film. I thought about giving him the vote but I decided against it based on my affection for the OT of this film specifically.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited November 2011 Posts: 15,690
    DN : Sean Connery
    FRWL : Sean Connery
    GF : Desmond Llewelyn
    TB : Sean Connery
    YOLT : Ken Adam
    OHMSS : John Barry
    DAF : John Barry
    LALD : Paul McCartney
    TMWTGG : Roger Moore (close : Clifton James, John Barry, Guy Hamilton)
    TSWLM : Lewis Gilbert
    MR : Roger Moore
    FYEO : Topol
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Roger Moore (Topol close second)
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Willy Bogner for his amazing ski work.
    Up to this point, all of the most major shifts in tone over the course of the franchise had been accompanied by a change in the lead actor. Though it was never stated outright, the use of a new actor as a "soft reset" felt like a foregone conclusion.

It may seem obvious in hindsight, but I think Albert R. Broccoli opened a door when For Your Eyes Only detached the series' tone from the lead actor's established reputation. That door hasn't been walked through since
    @JobeGDG, do you think this really makes Cubby Broccoli the standout contribution to FYEO though? The film was written with someone in mind other than Moore, but Moore ended up playing the part. So couldn't you say that it was Moore, who in fact rose to the occassion, by breaking from the established tone he set for the character? Or you could also argue for John Glen, bringing the 'tone' back down to earth. It was he, afterall, who edited OHMSS and harkened back to the feel of that film for FYEO.

I also think you could make the case that this break with tradition had already been done before with Connery in DAF, and even arguably YOLT. So I'm not sure Broccoli provided any moment of revelation, but rather changed with the times and audience opinion if anything.

FILM 13 Octopussy
    Stuntman Martin Grace, who sustained severe injury during the filming of this picture but took it like a man, is my hero in this film.

1. Terence Young
    2. Sean Connery
    3. John Barry
    4. Peter Hunt
    5. Ken Adam
    6. John Barry
    7. John Barry
    8. Jane Seymour
    9. Christopher Lee
    10. Ken Adam
    11. John Barry
    12. Maurice Binder
    13. Martin Grace
  • Rita Coolidge and John Barry, for creating one of the best Bond themes ever.

DN - Maurice Binder
    FRWL - Daniela BIanchi
    GF - Richard Malibum
    TB - Luciana Paluzzi
    YOLT - Ken Adam
    OHMSS - John Barry/George Lazenby
    DAF - None
    LALD - George Martin
    TMWTGG - Christopher Lee
    TSWLM - Albert R. Broccoli
    MR - Shirley Bassey
    FYEO - Roger Moore
    OP - Rita Coolidge/John Barry
    Roger Moore: He's a natural in this. To me, OP is the epitome of Rog's suave-cool as 007. Just the opening scene alone, where Moore gives that raised-eyebrow smirk to the soldier in the jeep exemplifies good ol' Rog' at his best. Truly an all time high! Extra points too, for taking the pains to halt a tiger, remove a leech, don a gorilla suit, and even go undercover in clown disguise. What a good sport.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    A lot of the train work is spectacular so I too would say Martin Grace.