Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    @Creasy47

After Heat and Insider I had high expectations for Collateral, especially because of Tom Cruise and Jamie Foxx but the movie didn't work for me, Cruise as the baddie? And I saw no chemistry whatsoever between Cruise and Foxx. The movie would have better worked if Foxx was the baddie and Cruise the cab driver. It was acted well of course and it looked good. The story did nothing for me.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    'Interstellar'

Wow. That's all I can say.
    Man of steel.
    What a waste of time this film is. Don't watch it.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @001, what is it about MoS you dislike, sir?
    DarthDimi wrote: »

Why are you calling me sir fir :) Relax DD, i'm not knighted by the queen. Well not yet. :)

Well DD , the story and dialogue was rubbish. The cgi was overused and it was not entertaining (boring in fact) . Too much crowe and shaky cam.

What did you think of MOS DD ?

@DarthDimi
    @001

don't want to crash into a conversation but I do it anyway :P

Zac Snyder created something spectacular and unique with 300.
    Watchmen is one of my favourite movies.

But he failed miserably with Man Of Steel, a typical casting error.
    Man Of Steel is hardly recognisable as a Superman movie. No vivid colours, just look at the awful Superman outfit.
    At first it looked more like another Riddick movie then the bearded Clark Kent (ridiculous), the awfully executed death scene of Jonathan Kent.
    Even the great cast Amy Adams, Kevin Costner and Henry Cavill can't save the movie.

Zac Snyder is just wrong for Superman, and I'm afraid he is going to ruin the Batman franchise too.
    As a huge fan of Justice League I'm so disappointed that Snyder of all people is doing those two movies too.
    And if that wasn't bad enough the studio has now given him Aquaman and Wonder Woman too to produce.

Suicide Squad suits Snyder better and it looks like it could be fun.

It's a big mistake anyway to lay all upcoming DC movies into one man's hand. Irresponsible really.
    @BondJasonBond006, I'm not sure if you're saying that Snyder would've been better off doing 'Suicide Squad' or if he will do better with it, but he isn't directing it, David Ayer is.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    001 wrote: »

Why are you calling me sir fir :) Relax DD, i'm not knighted by the queen. Well not yet. :)

Well DD , the story and dialogue was rubbish. The cgi was overused and it was not entertaining (boring in fact) . Too much crowe and shaky cam.

Agree. Complete bore (says something when the best thing about a film is Kevin Costner dying!). Shan't be watching anything else Snyder has a hand in.
  • edited August 2015 Posts: 3,336
    I had high expectations for Man of steel, and it ended up being the most dissapointing film of 2013
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    The Carrier (aka The Bag Man)

Almost all that I read about this film was negative. Our very own @DaltonCraig007 said that The Bag Man (it's original US title) wasn't as bad as it's made out. I don't think it was as quite as bad as it's made out to be either. Cusack has been in a lot of better films, and a few worse.
    @001 and @BondJasonBond006

I need to make a confession. You may not be knighted (yet) but you will be my priest during the typing of this post. ;-)

I got acquainted with Snyder through his Dawn Of The Dead remake and immediately worshipped at his altar. I saw 300 and thought it was very good. I read Watchmen, saw the movie and couldn't believe all the negative buzz. The movie practically is the graphic novel! I challenge anyone to do a better adaptation of the novel with better acting and better visuals. It's all there!

Then something truly unique happened: Sucker Punch. Everyone told me how bad that movie was. I couldn't believe it! It's my kind of party. Sure sure, no story and all... Sucker Punch isn't about story! It's about going on a psychedelic trip with great effects, incredible video gamer escapist mentality and the cutest babes in the word. Emily Browning as BabyDoll? Jena Malone as ... heck, JENA MALONE. For a while I thought I was the only mortal man to get the movie. But luckily I found some peers over here. ;-)

Then came Man Of Steel. Now I need to make one point clear before we move on. I think Superman The Movie is one of the best superhero films ever but keep Lester's rubbish and Quest For Peace away from me. I actually quite liked Returns. I'm a fan of the Fleisher studio cartoon from way back in the 40's. My DC hero is Batman. Superman is secondary to Batman for me. So I have much less of a 'purist' mentality towards Supes than I have towards Batman. That said, Man Of Steel wasn't a bad film IMO. I like the casting choices, the music and the special effects were incredible! Yes, Supes probably took down thousands of people if you think about it (too hard) and everyone complains about that. But in '89, no-one complained about Batman killing the Joker yet that right there is blasphemy. I think MOS succeeded in giving Superman a formidable foe, a tough mother to beat to a pulp. We haven't seen that since the Phantom villains in S2 - The Donner Cut. (I don't wanna hear about the Lester cut. It's all rubbish.) Point is, when I went to see MOS in 2013, I walked out rather pleased.

But as usual, it's all merely a matter of opinion. ;-)
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @BondJasonBond006, I'm not sure if you're saying that Snyder would've been better off doing 'Suicide Squad' or if he will do better with it, but he isn't directing it, David Ayer is.

Sorry, I should have added that he is producing Suicide Squad, like he's producing Aquaman and Wonder Woman. That means he will put his stamp on it.
    Suicide Squad is the kind of thing that is perfect for Snyder.
  • edited August 2015 Posts: 12,837

Agree. Complete bore (says something when the best thing about a film is Kevin Costner dying!). Shan't be watching anything else Snyder has a hand in.

I'm in the same boat as all of you. I'm unable to muster up the slightest bit of excitement for, and won't be going to see, Batman vs Superman because of Man Of Steel. Terrible film imo. Near Transformers levels of boring CGI filled action, bad dialouge, just bad writing at times (the relationship between him and the girl was so poorly written, there was no chemistry or real sense of attraction between them, and that whole kiss bit and the dialouge used felt so jarring after all the destruction just before), a way too OTT finale that felt like it lasted half the runtime, a messy origin story with half arsed attempts at depth spliced in at random intervals (why not just put it in chronological order?). This isn't me being nostalgic for the old version, I haven't seen a Superman film before. I just thought it was a really bad film. Pretty much everything that's bad about a lot of modern blockbusters rolled up into one overlong snoozefest. I'm really glad I passed on seeing it at the cinema.

I'm excited for Suicide Squad though, because it has a premise that actually sounds fresh and original (while Batman vs Superman is basically setting up what's going to be The Avengers but dark, zzzzzz), and because I'm a fan of David Ayer (the only poor film of his career is Sabotage imo, and I think we can safely blame Skip Woods for that one). I know a lot of fans are up in arms because the costumes apparently don't look like the comic counterparts but does that really matter? Blofeld in OHMSS looked nothing like the Blofeld of the novel but was still a good villain. It's the writing that matters, not the outfits.

I think I'm just sick of superhero films in general now. I realise there's a load of people that enjoy them and that's great but I think, unless it sounds like something that's actually new (like Suicide Squad) I'm pretty much done. I haven't seen a Marvel film since Iron Man 3 for example, and I don't intend to (Iron Man 1 was fun, but every Marvel film since then has pretty much followed that template and I got sick of it). These superhero films are not awful films (most aren't anyway, there are some exceptions, like Man Of Steel), but apart from the Nolan trilogy they never seem to be anything exceptional either imo. Apart from the Nolan Batman films, and the odd one that's actually a bad film (MOS, Iron Man 2), the rest are just average, safe blockbusters, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but there are so many of them that I'm burnt out now.

All just my opinion of course.
    @DarthDimi

I think I'm in love (if you were a woman) :))
    Dawn Of The Dead / 300 / Watchmen - probably the best three films in a row by the same director in the 00's up to today. I can't think of anybody doing a similarly awesome threesome.

I read Watchmen too and went to see it and was lucky to catch it at the cinema, it was gone faster than ice cream under the sun.
    Needless to say I absolutely love it and the Ultimate Cut that is a whopping 3 hours and 36 minutes long is the mother of all comic adaptions on screen.

Sucker Punch is probably the visually most stunning movie I've ever seen. The different sequences are absolutely brilliant. I'm feeling lonely too when it comes to this movie. My friends think I'm crazy to like it.

Man Of Steel as I said was disappointing me. I did like Returns very much and it was the right style at that moment, after all Smallville was going strong on TV when Returns was made.

Snyder is all about darkness, the abyss of the mind etc.
    Superman doesn't suit him in my opinion. Visually he did it all wrong.
    Batman could work better, I have yet to see it but the trailers for Batsy vs Supes make me more worry than looking forward to it.
    After all Batman is my hero I can't count how many Batman comics I have, I have ALL the DC animated TV Shows on DVD/Blu-ray, all the animated movies too.
    In 1989 when I was 15 all my dreams came true at once when seeing Batman on the big screen with my other hero Prince doing all the music for it.

Justice League is the other big love I have besides Batman in the comic world.
    I can't tell you how happy I am that they are doing not one but two JL movies!
    I really hope Snyder does the Justice League... justice :)
    @DarthDimi, that's why I love you: 'Dawn of the Dead' is one of the best horror films/remakes I've ever seen, and 'Sucker Punch' is nothing but one incredibly entertaining thrill ride. Beautiful and fun.
    @DarthDimi, that's why I love you: 'Dawn of the Dead' is one of the best horror films/remakes I've ever seen, and 'Sucker Punch' is nothing but one incredibly entertaining thrill ride. Beautiful and fun.

OMG so we are already three that love Dawn Of The Dead and Sucker Punch ^:)^

OMG so we are already three that love Dawn Of The Dead and Sucker Punch ^:)^

Yes, indeed! Honestly, I thought I was the only one that enjoyed 'Sucker Punch' until I meet Dimi (and now I'm hearing more positive reviews from you guys). I don't see how anyone wouldn't enjoy 'Dawn of the Dead.' It's scary, intense, brutal, beyond gory, and it has some excellent characters in it. I'm happy we're talking about it, I think I'll watch my blu-ray copy of it tonight. :)
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited August 2015 Posts: 15,690
    @MajorDSmythe Glad you enjoyed 'The Bag Man'! I really liked the recluse and night-only setting, which reminded me of another entertaining Cusack film 'The Numbers Station'.
  • edited August 2015 Posts: 2,081
    'Interstellar'

Wow. That's all I can say.

I hope that means you enjoyed it. ;)

I'm in the same boat as all of you. I'm unable to muster up the slightest bit of excitement for, and won't be going to see, Batman vs Superman because of Man Of Steel. Terrible film imo. Near Transformers levels of boring CGI filled action, bad dialouge, just bad writing at times (the relationship between him and the girl was so poorly written, there was no chemistry or real sense of attraction between them, and that whole kiss bit and the dialouge used felt so jarring after all the destruction just before), a way too OTT finale that felt like it lasted half the runtime, a messy origin story with half arsed attempts at depth spliced in at random intervals (why not just put it in chronological order?). This isn't me being nostalgic for the old version, I haven't seen a Superman film before. I just thought it was a really bad film. Pretty much everything that's bad about a lot of modern blockbusters rolled up into one overlong snoozefest. I'm really glad I passed on seeing it at the cinema.

I'm excited for Suicide Squad though, because it has a premise that actually sounds fresh and original (while Batman vs Superman is basically setting up what's going to be The Avengers but dark, zzzzzz), and because I'm a fan of David Ayer (the only poor film of his career is Sabotage imo, and I think we can safely blame Skip Woods for that one). I know a lot of fans are up in arms because the costumes apparently don't look like the comic counterparts but does that really matter? Blofeld in OHMSS looked nothing like the Blofeld of the novel but was still a good villain. It's the writing that matters, not the outfits.

I think I'm just sick of superhero films in general now. I realise there's a load of people that enjoy them and that's great but I think, unless it sounds like something that's actually new (like Suicide Squad) I'm pretty much done. I haven't seen a Marvel film since Iron Man 3 for example, and I don't intend to (Iron Man 1 was fun, but every Marvel film since then has pretty much followed that template and I got sick of it). These superhero films are not awful films (most aren't anyway, there are some exceptions, like Man Of Steel), but apart from the Nolan trilogy they never seem to be anything exceptional either imo. Apart from the Nolan Batman films, and the odd one that's actually a bad film (MOS, Iron Man 2), the rest are just average, safe blockbusters, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but there are so many of them that I'm burnt out now.

All just my opinion of course.

I very much agree with you. I found MOS really boring and just plain bad. (Can't comment on Transformers since I haven't seen and am not interested, either.) I'll try to get interested in BvS when it comes out, but so far I'm kinda meh, but looking forward to Suicide Squad. Iron Man 1 was indeed pretty good, and Iron Man 2 was baaaad (worse than MOS for me). I'm pretty sick of Marvel films, too. And mostly not particularly interested in the whole superhero stuff.

TDK trilogy though... :x A few days ago on another movie site someone wrote they had just booked their tix to the TDK all nighter at BFI IMAX in London... I went :-O 8-> =P~ :D >:D< :\"> O:-) After that I naturally booked flights and accommodation, too. Now looking at other stuff available like Sam's Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, etc. I intend to be busy all week...
    @Tuulia, it totally blew my mind, and I haven't stopped thinking about it since I saw it. What a film.
    @Tuulia, it totally blew my mind, and I haven't stopped thinking about it since I saw it. What a film.

You needed to see it in theatre (I only went to see it twice and now regret that) - I assume that if you only saw it now you saw it on tv? I hope it was a very big one and you had good sound and all that. :)

I love the score, too, btw. Hynotizing, moving, and relaxing in a way.
    @Tuulia, 48" HDTV and it was a blu-ray copy :) so that's about the next best thing past a theater. I missed both it and 'Gravity' and theaters, and I'll never stop kicking myself for it.
    Ok, that's not too bad then. ;) But yes, some movies really should be seen in theatres. Gotta say I wasn't particularly impressed by Gravity, though. It was ok, but that's all. But Interstellar was fascinating and beautiful, wowed me, too.
  • Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation
    That's how I was with 'Mad Max: Fury Road' - it's something you absolutely have to see in theaters. Caught it twice, and in fact, it's returning to my theater this weekend, might have to make a third trip out. ;)
    @Creasy47 and @BondJasonBond006

Every since I had seen Dawn Of The Dead '78, I considered it THE ultimate zombie film, with Night Of The Living Dead '68 and 28 Days Later a very close second and third. A remake of this brilliant satire at first seemed redundant and even borderline insulting to me. And who was this Snyder guy anyway? ;-)

But you know, that's the person I am. I won't criticize the movie unless I've seen it. So in '04, I went to the theatre with a friend and we both agreed we'd make the best of it...

About 10 minutes into the film, we had grown pale and just sat there, silent, mortified, impressed. I called it the first actually scary horror flick I'd seen in years! Unlike the average zombie flick, it offers great characters (Ty Burrell's sarcastic Steve is absolutely DELICIOUS), non-stop action during its great climax and a fresh take on Zombie survival horror.

Having seen the film, I had trouble deciding which I prefer. The original or the remake? I'll probably always prefer Romero's powerhouse of a zombie film, but the 2004 DOTD is an underrated Snyder film IMO.
    That's how I was with 'Mad Max: Fury Road' - it's something you absolutely have to see in theaters. Caught it twice, and in fact, it's returning to my theater this weekend, might have to make a third trip out. ;)

Hell yes. Absolutely.
    It hasn't left mine yet, been there since mid-May.
    I remember watching a late night show one night, and I think it was an interview with Mekhi Phifer for the film, and they showed the clip where him and Jake Weber's character were about to open the door that was in the basement. They slam on the door and it's locked, and the clip ends as soon as they open it (I think it's the scene where the truck of survivors pulls in and they're trying to help them get inside). After that moment, I HAD to see the movie to find out what happened next, and the scene that follows didn't disappoint. That movie is full of some heart-pounding fear.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    My two cents: Snyder's Watchmen is a [expletive deleted] classic.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Funny, I'm actually watching Watchmen now