Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I disregard 'Kingdom of the Crystal Skull' as an Indy film. There's only a trilogy that exists to me.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I disregard 'Kingdom of the Crystal Skull' as an Indy film. There's only a trilogy that exists to me.

But why? Crystal Skull clearly is No 4 in the ranking but it was an Indy film after all. Was it because of Shia LaBeouf? That I could understand.

@BondJasonBond006, I don't think the character limit on these forums is big enough to express my distaste for that movie.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    @BondJasonBond006, I don't think the character limit on these forums is big enough to express my distaste for that movie.
    Marion.
    It's obviously not the best.... but....
    Marion....
    *snif*
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    The White Storm, a 2013 crime film from Hong-Kong. Very good high-octane film, with many twists and turns that takes you from HK to Thailand. A lot of shootouts and some fist fights, the film is about a police operation to take down a important drug cartel operating between Hong-Kong and Thailand. The main 3 actors are very good, especially Nick Cheung, a very prolific actor in HK cinema. All in all, another very gripping crime film from Asia.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited August 2015 Posts: 23,562
    Minions

minions-image.jpg

I'm not the biggest fan of these CGI overloads for kids, but when Despicable Me premiered several years ago, I found a new interest: Minions! Seriously, those yellow buggers are simple and the voice manipulations are cheap, but they make for a lot of fun, even I cannot deny that. And after the success of the sequel, it was hardly a surprise that they would try to spin off a minions movie.

But can that work? Five minutes of minions in Despicable Me is one thing; an entire film on the other hand? I was a sceptic, yet I went to see the film today and it was fun but no more than that. While the filmmakers were able to fill 90 minutes of film with our cute friends, not every joke worked and not every funny situation induced laughter.

The story is simple enough - it is a kid's film after all - but us grown-ups with a youthful sense of humour can appreciate the effort too. Proof of that is that my afternoon showing of the movie attracted more adults than kids... Also, Minions has already made over 850 million dollars. Despite some lukewarm reviews from critics, it's doing big blockbuster numbers, which is impressive.

I guess I'll always have a place in my heart for the minions and for this film. It's not a perfect film, but it put a few smiles on my face.

3/5
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited August 2015 Posts: 15,690
    Current rundown of my Asian marathon for @Creasy47 and @DarthDimi:

- Commitment (2013)
    - Man On High Heels (2014)
    - The Divine Move (2014)
    - For The Emperor (2014)
    - Confession of Murder (2012)
    - A Company Man (2012)
    - Nameless Gangster (2012)
    - New World (2013)
    - Gangnam Blues (2015)
    - The Terror Live (2013)
    - A Dirty Carnival (2006)
    - The Yellow Sea (2010)
    - The White Storm (2013)

And now for the latest : 'Killers', a 2014 Indonesian/Japanese psychological thriller, the first collaboration between the 2 countries for this genre of film. This movie was produced by the same guys who produced the 2 'The Raid' films, and even Gareth Evans produced this film.

The story of this film is about 2 characters. One is a japanese serial killer. A brutal, sadistic serial killer who in the opening scene ties an innocent woman on a chair, only to violently hit her face several with a hammer. The other, is an indonesian journalist who will become initiated to this dirty lifestyle by the japanese guy.

There are some gut-wrenching scenes, like one character escaping from a crime scene, only to have dozens of armed mobsters run after him in corridors, and absolute mayhem ensues. Another scene, in pure horror style, puts every Hollywoodian films of this nature to shame. The ending is unpredictable, so be sure to not get spoiled anywhere, as it will knock you down from your chair and knock your pants off as well!

In conclusion: if you love films with a dirty atmosphere, sick but extremely badass characters, a hypnotic soundtrack, and a high level of blood splashed around, this film is for you!
    Though personally I am not a fan, I did read your reviews @DarthDimi. Well done, sir.

Absolute must read for folks who enjoy cinema. Thanks./

The beginning of that movie (the way you described it) gives me an 'I Saw The Devil' vibe! I'll have to check it out soon.
    Has Connery ever actually played a Scott? I think he's played everything but, including an alien (probably) with a suspiciously Scottish sounding accent.

I hate to bring this movie up ever, but since you asked, am pretty sure he played Scottish in THE AVENGERS. The kilt kinda gives that away.

He's done Arab more than once - not just WIND (which really was magic for me when I first saw it at age 14, really proved that the combination of actor AND movie star is dynamite with the right script and direction), but also Sarafian's THE NEXT MAN, with Adolfo Celi. Movie has one very good brutal fight in it, but nothing else to recommend it as I recall.

'A Brief History Of Time'

After falling in love with Errol Morris' work on 'The Thin Blue Line,' I knew I had to check this out, and as expected, I most certainly wasn't disappointed. Chronicling the life of Stephen Hawking - from infancy to the first stages of ALS to the time of shooting, along with his studies and achievements - we're given another powerful documentary that also interviews his family, friends, and colleagues. If you have any interest in science or the life of Hawking, or if you just enjoy great documentaries in general, this is a must see. I'd say the only complaint I had was a bad establishment of who is who, so sometimes you'd have a new person introduced with little to no background on who they are or how they're related to Stephen Hawking and his work. Still, it was a very good watch!
  • Collateral.
    Collateral.

Did you like it? That's in my top 3 for Mann's films, and most certainly one of the best action movies I've ever seen.
  • trevanian wrote: »
    Has Connery ever actually played a Scott? I think he's played everything but, including an alien (probably) with a suspiciously Scottish sounding accent.

I hate to bring this movie up ever, but since you asked, am pretty sure he played Scottish in THE AVENGERS. The kilt kinda gives that away.

He's done Arab more than once - not just WIND (which really was magic for me when I first saw it at age 14, really proved that the combination of actor AND movie star is dynamite with the right script and direction), but also Sarafian's THE NEXT MAN, with Adolfo Celi. Movie has one very good brutal fight in it, but nothing else to recommend it as I recall.

I know he spent the majority of his (non working) life in England, and as such is usually shown to have an English accent, but technically Bond could qualify as a Scott. Scottish father, went to school in Scottland after being kicked out of Eton, and I'm not sure if Fleming ever mentioned where he was raised before his parents death but Craig Bond spent the early years of his childhood in Scottland too, at Skyfall.
    @Creasy47

Collateral is a great MM film. It's not in my top 3 since Heat, The Insider and Thief are in there already, but I guess it has a number 4 spot in my list. ;-)
  • Collateral.
    Collateral.

Did you like it? That's in my top 3 for Mann's films, and most certainly one of the best action movies I've ever seen.
    Definitely in my top 3 Cruise movies.
    1)Ghost Protocol
    2) Collateral
    3)Top Gun
    @DarthDimi, I think mine would have to be:

1.) Heat
    2.) Thief
    3.) Collateral

I'm ashamed to say that I've never seen 'The Insider'! I thought someone told me that it's absolutely nothing like any of his films and wasn't even good, so I never bothered with it. Perhaps I'll have to take a look one day, then.
    edited August 2015 Posts: 23,562
    @Creasy47, that assessment "someone" gave you is totally wrong, I'm sorry to say. ;-) For starters, I dare say it's Mann's most critically acclaimed film with, among other things, several Academy Award nominations. Not seeing it is for a Mann fan what not seeing The Godfather must be for a Coppola fan. ;-) Russell Crowe delivers what I consider his best performance ever. Perhaps this isn't an action film like HEAT, but the story is very engaging and that is especially so because it's based on real facts. The only people who should feel bad about watching The Insider are people who smoke since they are about to learn a harsh truth. There are moments in the film when I feel for Crowe's character to the point where I can almost cry. And the musical choices as well as Spinotti's brilliant cinematography make this film truly one of Mann's career highlights. Is it as good as HEAT? No, because IMO that film set the highest bar possible. But it's almost as good IMO.
    DaltonCraig007's Mann ranking:

1. Collateral 10/10
    2. Blackhat 9.5/10
    3. Heat 9.5/10
    4. Insider 9/10
    5. Miami Vice 9/10
    6. Public Enemy 8.5/10
    Impressive that you put Blackhat so high up on that list, @DaltonCraig007! :-)
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    I'm probably in the minority here when I say I was disappointed time after time by the Mann movies after Heat.
    I must have seen Heat 5 times at the movie theatre and another 15 times on DVD/Blu-ray. It's one of the best movies ever.
    After that it went downhill and fast. I give it to you straight!

Miami Vice...an abomination! I couldn't believe how bad that one was.
    Collateral? Easily the worst Tom Cruise movie since Risky Business...
    Public Enemy?? After Miami Vice I was certain it can't get any worse with Mann, it did!
    Blackhat...Only Chris Hemsworth and the always great Viola Davis save that movie.
    The Insider, the closest Mann ever came again to the greatness that is Heat.
    I'm surprised you have something positive to say about 'Blackhat' (which was pretty loathed by the general public, but nobody here, thankfully!) yet you didn't like 'Collateral' whatsoever?
    "The Insider, the closest Mann ever came again to the greatness that is Heat."

So true!

However, Collateral is a winner in my book. Well acted, incredibly well shot! I have stated this before and I'll state it again. Mann makes a night look sweaty and hot, dangerous and sexy. People go on about Deakins' photography in SF, and righteously so. But a night in the cab in Collateral or a night in China in Blackhat or a night in Miami in Miami Vice? I might actually prefer them over a night in ShangHai in SF, on the pure sensuality that Mann throws in his films.
    The only 'improvement' that can possible make Collateral better is if Timothy Dalton had played the hitman. But then, we wouldn't have had the ice-cool Cruise in his best role.
    Mission Impossible Rogue Nation an absolutely AMAZING FILM one of my favorites best of the summer potentially best of the year definite top 10 for me
    edited August 2015 Posts: 40,492
    Mann knows how to make you feel like you're in the city that he showcases in a film, especially L.A. He nails that living and breathing aspect of the world, and makes it as big of a cast member of the film as the actors are, almost. Just look at the neon and rain-soaked streets in 'Thief.'
    Mann knows how to make you feel like you're in the city that he showcases in a film, especially L.A. He nails that living and breathing aspect of the world, and makes it as big of a cast member of the film as the actors are, almost. Just look at the neon and rain-soaked streets in 'Thief.'

Imagine Mann achieving this while directing a Bond film.
    @DaltonCraig007, once I saw some people stand behind the idea of a Mann-helmed Bond film, it got me thinking about it more and more, and now I think it'd be a wonderful idea.
    Imagine how he would have done TND. Of course I doubt he would have wanted to work with the film's script. Kung Fu aboard a stealth boat with a remote controlled drill and a missile aimed at China? Yeah, no. It would have been a different film with no doubt a far better climax. ;-)