Who do YOU give 11/10? (final appreciation)

Comments

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Walken; that's all.
    Patrick Macnee.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    DN: Terence Young
    FRWL: Robert Shaw
    GF: Sean Connery
    TB: Luciana Paluzzi
    YOLT: Ken Adam(honorable mention to Freddie Young)
    OHMSS: John Barry
    DAF: Jill St. John
    LALD: Jane Seymour
    TMWTGG: Christopher Lee
    TSWLM: Caroline Munro
    MR: Sir Roger Moore
    FYEO: Topol
    OP: Steven Berkoff
    AVTAK: John Barry

Barry's elegiac score is excellent and makes this mediocre entry far more watchable than it would be otherwise. Honorable mention to Patrick Macnee and Alison Doody.
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    I'll go for Sir Rog.
    A View to a Kill • Duran Duran
  • edited November 2011 Posts: 1,497
    Gravely under-rated...AVTAK has an excellent "classic" Bond story--unapologetically in the vein of Goldfinger. At the heart of every great Bond story is a mystery, for which Bond must uncover. What plagues this film is the dated quality of the film, John Glen's rather 'blah' direction and very un-Bondian locations like San Francisco (and even Paris looks bad). But the plot is what stands out for this. Therefore I give this round to...

Richard Maibaum and Michael G. Wilson (for Screenplay)

Runner-up: John Barry. Excellent score (as usual)
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    FILM 15 The Living Daylights
    Now what? My choice is between Barry - again - and Dalton. Who do I pick? Only one, it says in the rules. So... Barry. Look, I'm boring, I know. I must sound like a broken record to you but John Barry pwns film music and his final sc007e is PERFECT. I spent ten years looking everywhere (uh... in my vicinity) for the score and when I finally found that Ryko disc, I put myself through a lot of abuse just to get it. You have no idea. Barry is 80% of this film's success for me. I enjoy TLD for various reasons but there you are, Barry is the first, second and third reason.

You disagree huh? Okay, I'll tell you what to do. You plug in that DVD, fast forward to the final scene of Bond awaiting Kara backstage. Now, pay close attention to the music as she closes the door and notices the glasses of champagne. Most - romantic - cue - EVER! And it's not on the CD! Can you believe it! (Note to self: when the mi6-hq mods finally take over the world, this is priority one for me: a re-release of the TLD score with every bloody note ever written by Barry for this film!)

1. Terence Young
    2. Sean Connery
    3. John Barry
    4. Peter Hunt
    5. Ken Adam
    6. John Barry
    7. John Barry
    8. Jane Seymour
    9. Christopher Lee
    10. Ken Adam
    11. John Barry
    12. Maurice Binder
    13. Martin Grace
    14. John Barry
    15. John Barry

6 times of Barry. I guess you could say I'm a fan. :P
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Timothy Dalton, for going back to Fleming's Bond.
  • Dalton himself

Art Malik gave a very good performance

Pre credits sequence in Gibraltar

John Barry for the last time

Director Glen did a fine job
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Maryam d'Abo.
  • edited November 2011 Posts: 1,497
    Again I'm going to have to go with the Screenwriters: Richard Maibaum and Michael G. Wilson. They crafted a fine classic Bond thriller in a time when original source material was beginning to run dry. What I like about TLD is the density and complexity of the plot: there are multiple parties involved and it's not as clear cut as who are bad guys and who are the good guys. This is the first time I think the Bond series had really done this to such an extent.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    edited November 2011 Posts: 2,629

TIMMMMMY!
    John Glen did a great job at bringing Bond back to his darker roots, John Barry's score is fantastic, but Timothy Dalton by far deserves this one
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited November 2011 Posts: 15,690
    DN : Sean Connery
    FRWL : Sean Connery
    GF : Desmond Llewelyn
    TB : Sean Connery
    YOLT : Ken Adam
    OHMSS : John Barry
    DAF : John Barry
    LALD : Paul McCartney
    TMWTGG : Roger Moore (close : Clifton James, John Barry, Guy Hamilton)
    TSWLM : Lewis Gilbert
    MR : Roger Moore
    FYEO : Topol
    OP : Roger Moore
    AVTAK : John Barry
    TLD : Timothy Dalton
  • John Barry, followed by the writers.
    TLD: Timothy Dalton

Dalton, the most underrated Bond actor, makes an impressive debut in the role. Even more impressive is the fact that although being offered the role twice before, providence turned out for him to take over the role at nearly the last minute when Brosnan's "Remington Steele" show was renewed. I'm so glad it did because makes TLD his own. It's almost impossible for me now to see any other Bond actor in it.
    Again I'm going to have to go with the Screenwriters: Richard Maibaum and Michael G. Wilson. They crafted a fine classic Bond thriller in a time when original source material was beginning to run dry. What I like about TLD is the density and complexity of the plot: there are multiple parties involved and it's not as clear cut as who are bad guys and who are the good guys. This is the first time I think the Bond series had really done this to such an extent.
    Indeed. I consider TLD's script the most intelligently written one since FRWL. In many ways, it plays like a Tom Clancy thriller. And in 1987, that was a most welcome change after the tiredness of GF retread AVTAK.
  • Have to agree with the others here - the story was very well done, gritty and truer to a classic Fleming plot.

DN - Maurice Binder
    FRWL - Daniela BIanchi
    GF - Richard Malibum
    TB - Luciana Paluzzi
    YOLT - Ken Adam
    OHMSS - John Barry/George Lazenby
    DAF - None
    LALD - George Martin
    TMWTGG - Christopher Lee
    TSWLM - Albert R. Broccoli
    MR - Shirley Bassey
    FYEO - Roger Moore
    OP - Rita Coolidge/John Barry
    AVTAK - Christopher Walken
    TLD - Richard Maibaum/Michael G. Wilson
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    The Living Daylights is one of my favorite Bond films, so it's really hard for me to pick one over another.. even Joe Don Baker, who isn't known for his acting prowess, turned a pretty good effort in the role of Whitaker - and finally we get a henchman in Necros that isn't completely useless, and is actually quite threatening and intimidating (too bad he tapped out so quickly to John McClain a couple years later lol)... John Barry's score to to this film is by far my favorite of all of his efforts... John Glen did a pretty good job directing as well...

but, for me, I think Dalton deserves the 11/10... he brings an edge to Bond that not even Connery did - a more aggressive, ruthless edge.. he was stern, calculating - but could also turn on the charm with the ladies when need be.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Yes, Dalton for sure! Screenwriters second, though.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Dalton for a great first entry as Bond. Wish he had've done more. Also, Richard Maibaum and Michael G. Wilson for closely following Fleming's short story.
    Some more ideas for TLD?
  • Monsieur_AubergineMonsieur_Aubergine Top of the Eiffel Tower with a fly in my soup!
    Timothy Dalton. - He was my first Bond. I rented TLD almost every weekend aged 8. Happy memories. Just loved Dalton.
    Timothy Dalton. - He was my first Bond. I rented TLD almost every weekend aged 8. Happy memories. Just loved Dalton.
    An excellent first Bond actor and first Bond adventure to initiate your 007 fandom with, Monsieur.

edited November 2011 Posts: 23,544
    FILM 16 Licence To Kill
    I praise Dalton in this film. The man delivers good work. He's great in fact.

1. Terence Young
    2. Sean Connery
    3. John Barry
    4. Peter Hunt
    5. Ken Adam
    6. John Barry
    7. John Barry
    8. Jane Seymour
    9. Christopher Lee
    10. Ken Adam
    11. John Barry
    12. Maurice Binder
    13. Martin Grace
    14. John Barry
    15. John Barry
    16. Timothy Dalton
    TLD: Timothy Dalton
    LTK: Robert Davi

Honorable mention to Dalton, Robert Brown and Desmond Llewellyn in his largest part as Q.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    DN : Sean Connery
    FRWL : Sean Connery
    GF : Desmond Llewelyn
    TB : Sean Connery
    YOLT : Ken Adam
    OHMSS : John Barry
    DAF : John Barry
    LALD : Paul McCartney
    TMWTGG : Roger Moore (close : Clifton James, John Barry, Guy Hamilton)
    TSWLM : Lewis Gilbert
    MR : Roger Moore
    FYEO : Topol
    OP : Roger Moore
    AVTAK : John Barry
    TLD : Timothy Dalton
    LTK : Robert Brown
    Dalton...

Runner-up, yes once again, the writers: another fresh take on the Bond formula, throwing in a bit of personal revenge. The plot is tight throughout, with very little fluff, if any at all.
  • How can all of you forget Benicio Del Toro? He was a wonderful henchmen and was mesmerizing in the little scenes he was in.

DN - Maurice Binder
    FRWL - Daniela BIanchi
    GF - Richard Malibum
    TB - Luciana Paluzzi
    YOLT - Ken Adam
    OHMSS - John Barry/George Lazenby
    DAF - None
    LALD - George Martin
    TMWTGG - Christopher Lee
    TSWLM - Albert R. Broccoli
    MR - Shirley Bassey
    FYEO - Roger Moore