Spectre title song - Writing's on the Wall

Comments

Am I the only one who isn't excited by ANY of the 'realistically plausible' artists name dropped here? I mean Golding, Smith, Radiohead, Arctic Monkeys...really that's the best we got? I mean the first two are as plastic pop as can be and the latter two's lead singers constantly sing flat and don't really sound like Bond material to me. The idea of Adele returning doesn't excite me either.

As everyone else has, I have completely implausible artists in mind, but certainly they can do better than the one's names repeatedly mentioned...
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I still think it's going to be Adele again. Craig said he wanted her to do another song and considering the weight he pulls with EON, I think he'll get what he wants.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Murdock wrote: »
    I still think it's going to be Adele again. Craig said he wanted her to do another song and considering the weight he pulls with EON, I think he'll get what he wants.

I'm thinking this could happen indeed. Spectre seems in many things to be Skyfall Part 2 and they wanted Mendes so desperately back, the same thing might be true for Adele.
    Not that I would find this pleasing.

• dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    Murdock wrote: »

I'm thinking this could happen indeed. Spectre seems in many things to be Skyfall Part 2 and they wanted Mendes so desperately back, the same thing might be true for Adele.
    Not that I would find this pleasing.

The choice is "completely left field" why would it be Adele again?
    Isn't that obvious?? Skyfall was hugely successful in the charts and won the Academy Award for best song.
    It's not going to be skyfall 2. Sam Mendes would not do that. Also if you read the script, look at the promotional material so far, or anything else at all, it does not look like skyfall 2.
    suavejmf wrote: »
    Why can't Shirley Bassy just come back!!!!

Yeah exactly. Why the hell not?! They're too damn interested in who the hot item is right now. I hate all this social networking garbage like Twitter and Facebook. Someone said that it's been used to lead people down the wrong track, which wouldn't surprise me.

I'm trying to listen to some names suggested here, since I'm not familiar with most of them. The names often yes, but not the music. I'm infinitely curious about music, anyway, might find something good if I'm lucky.

I already listened to Sam Smith much earlier to get an idea. Terrible. Now listening to Taylor Swift. Awful. I knew there was a reason I stopped listening to radio years ago. Ok, next... Paloma Faith, think I tried that before, and wasn't impressed... Better than those other two, but eeeh... Nope. Ellie Goulding I listened to before as well when her name had come up, but no longer remember at all, guess that wasn't a good sign? Right, boring. Some totally unfamiliar names, too, Helene Fischer? Boring. Aleks Syntek? Boring. Geez. I may not have the energy needed for this...

Better listen to something I actually like for a change. Cat's Eyes - The Duke Of Burgundy soundtrack... thank goodness... and c'mon Amazon, mail the damned parcel already... and oh, hello Trent... There is good music made nowadays as well it's not all bland and boring, but for Bond... I don't know. I liked Adele before Skyfall and still do, and I love that song, but I'd like another artist anyway.
    Isn't that obvious?? Skyfall was hugely successful in the charts and won the Academy Award for best song.
    Bounine wrote: »
    suavejmf wrote: »
    Why can't Shirley Bassy just come back!!!!

Yeah exactly. Why the hell not?! They're too damn interested in who the hot item is right now. I hate all this social networking garbage like Twitter and Facebook. Someone said that it's been used to lead people down the wrong track, which wouldn't surprise me.

Shirley Bassey isn't that good to begin with IMO.
    Step outside!
    Tuulia wrote: »
    I'm trying to listen to some names suggested here, since I'm not familiar with most of them. The names often yes, but not the music. I'm infinitely curious about music, anyway, might find something good if I'm lucky.

I already listened to Sam Smith much earlier to get an idea. Terrible. Now listening to Taylor Swift. Awful. I knew there was a reason I stopped listening to radio years ago. Ok, next... Paloma Faith, think I tried that before, and wasn't impressed... Better than those other two, but eeeh... Nope. Ellie Goulding I listened to before as well when her name had come up, but no longer remember at all, guess that wasn't a good sign? Right, boring. Some totally unfamiliar names, too, Helene Fischer? Boring. Aleks Syntek? Boring. Geez. I may not have the energy needed for this...

Better listen to something I actually like for a change. Cat's Eyes - The Duke Of Burgundy soundtrack... thank goodness... and c'mon Amazon, mail the damned parcel already... and oh, hello Trent... There is good music made nowadays as well it's not all bland and boring, but for Bond... I don't know. I liked Adele before Skyfall and still do, and I love that song, but I'd like another artist anyway.

Listen to Florence Welsh.
  • edited July 2015 Posts: 5,745
    Someone posted a "leaked" Radiohead SPECTRE theme to YT.

Isn't this just a Radiohead song? I think it works rather well though..
    JWESTBROOK wrote: »

LOL!!!

JWESTBROOK wrote: »

LOL, its actually now warming to me
    I could and should do the same with this

• WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    edited July 2015 Posts: 3,157
    So all they did was singing over the James Bond theme?

If that really is the leaked theme, I swear I'll upload a video of myself eating my hat (with a JB theme of your choice as the score).
  • It's the song "Reckoner" from the album "In rainbows"
    I think is fairly unlikely that the artist will have had full control over the song and orchestration. At least I hope so. The artist needs to work with a skilled producer to deliver a song worthy of Bond. One of the reasons I approve of David Arnold is that when given the chance he is not only an adequate film composer, but also an excellent collaborator and pop producer. His best scores combine title track, memorable themes and score in a manner worthy of Barry.

This is quite amusing.

From the days when Bond songs became classics.
    Tuulia wrote: »

Listen to Florence Welsh.

Apparently it's Welch, that spelling brought results. Anyway, thanks for the tip.
    She's much better, actually... I may listen to her some more another time.

I want to throw in that for me the song is far more important than who is singing it.
    If the song is great I can live with almost anyone singing it. Except Justin Bieber maybe...lol...

Best proof of that is me being a big fan of Madonna and a huge fan of Alicia Keys and an even bigger fan of Sheryl Crow.
    All three have recorded one of their worst songs ever with their Bond themes!!

So I rather have the horrid One Direction or the unbearable Taylor Swift doing the song as long as the song is great than having one of my favourite artists doing a mediocre or bad song for Bond.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    And hopefully it is NOT Helene Fischer...

OMG, Helene Fischer....lol....now that would be a novelty...
    (bawling out: "Atemlos, durch die Nacht....." ...lol...

You give me an idea here that urgently should be put through to Barbara Broccoli:
    Why not having different singers doing the same theme song for different language regions.
    Disney's doing this for ages.

Helene Fischer would be perfect for the German-language territories
    Taylor Swift can do it for the US/Canada
    Aleks Syntek or Juanes for Latin America
    Mylène Farmer for the French language territories
    all the same song of course in different languages

That's more than awesome, that's really and utterly thrilling and brilliant...
    :-S O:-) =D> :-h :bz :ar!
    I want to throw in that for me the song is far more important than who is singing it.
    If the song is great I can live with almost anyone singing it. Except Justin Bieber maybe...lol...

Best proof of that is me being a big fan of Madonna and a huge fan of Alicia Keys and an even bigger fan of Sheryl Crow.
    All three have recorded one of their worst songs ever with their Bond themes!!

So I rather have the horrid One Direction or the unbearable Taylor Swift doing the song as long as the song is great than having one of my favourite artists doing a mediocre or bad song for Bond.

Excellent point and I agree. Some of the best songs have been sung by pretty naff artists. It's the song that's most important. I think traditional technical singing ability should be a must though.
    The more I think about it the more I feel Bardem was wasted or just not very good in SF.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    Getafix wrote: »
    The more I think about it the more I feel Bardem was wasted or just not very good in SF.

Javiar? I thought he was quite good.

And hopefully it is NOT Helene Fischer...

OMG, Helene Fischer....lol....now that would be a novelty...
    (bawling out: "Atemlos, durch die Nacht....." ...lol...

You give me an idea here that urgently should be put through to Barbara Broccoli:
    Why not having different singers doing the same theme song for different language regions.
    Disney's doing this for ages.

Helene Fischer would be perfect for the German-language territories
    Taylor Swift can do it for the US/Canada
    Aleks Syntek or Juanes for Latin America
    Mylène Farmer for the French language territories
    all the same song of course in different languages

That's more than awesome, that's really and utterly thrilling and brilliant...
    :-S O:-) =D> :-h :bz :ar!

In the 60's they did exactly that with the title songs.
    It was the same song, but with german lyrics sung by a german.

I warned you:

Silva is one of the things I found so terrible in SF. I feel I'm in a minority with that opinion. Bardem seems to get away with a lot of silly acting. Just watch the awful No Country For Old Men, how that movie even got Academy Award nominations and then won them even is one of the great mysteries of mankind.

Silva is totally ridiculous, Bardem overacted and he looked absolutely hilarious, it was more like a parody of a Bond villain or just a bad copy of The Joker.
    I am glad that he does not appear until the 71st minute of SF. That's probably one of the reasons I rate Skyfall one of the good Bond movies (not Top 10 but close).
    Had Silva appeared earlier in the movie SF would be unwatchable.
  • TreefingersTreefingers Isthmus City, Republic of Isthmus
    edited July 2015 Posts: 191
    @BondJasonBond006 Interesting, they kind of did that already with TWINE, they had this japanese band do a song for the end credits of the japanese release.

I feel this would be more effective if they were versions by artists from the film's most prominent locations, but it would depend on the location itself; if it is a marketable enough country/region. I also think it would be better to have the versions used as source music during scenes (or cameos even?) as opposed to having it replace the main song in the titles.

PS: As an hispanic myself though, I must say your latin options are terrible...

Well, both are popular aren't they? Alexs Syntek is one of my favourite Spanish-singing artists:)

Who would you propose?
    @BondJasonBond006 Interesting, they kind of did that already with TWINE, they had this japanese band do a song for the end credits of the japanese release.

I feel this would be more effective if they were versions by artists from the film's most prominent locations, but it would depend on the location itself; if it is a marketable enough country/region. I also think it would be better to have the versions used as source music during scenes (or cameos even?) as opposed to having it replace the main song in the titles.

Luis Miguel -- he has a great voice and needs a hit like nobody's business. Something that sounds like today with a bit of Romance tossed in.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    edited August 2015 Posts: 4,116

Javiar? I thought he was quite good.

He was quite good ..great deal of critical and commercial praise...

Don't recall Bardem singing the theme song so I'm not sure why his name and performance was mentioned in this thread.